Ravens Schedule Coming Today!

The Ravens will announce their 2014 regular season schedule today at 8:00 pm ET. More Info ยป
Close

Photo

Steelers 2013 Situation

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Trevelyan

Trevelyan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

After looking around on the web, a couple things have become clear about the black and golds cap situation:http:
//www.steelersdepot.com/2012/08/an-early-look-at-the-steelers-2013-salary-cap-situation/

1.) They will be more than 15 Million over the salary cap (potentially and 15 is the smallest number I have found so far.)
2.) If some of their bigger names refuse to restructure their contracts, they could be forced to release many impact players as well as their younger players.
3.) The most common name thrown around as a possible salary cap casualty is James Harrison, as well as Ike Taylor(as well as possibly letting Wallace walk as well if a number cannot be agreed upon in the offseason).

With all the financial issues the Steelers will have to deal with next season:

1.)Will this open a easier window to the division tittle and the playoffs for the Ravens next season?
2.)Also, could OZ potentially turn a weakness into a strength by converting some released players to the Purple and Black?(Harrison maybe?)

#2 Trevelyan

Trevelyan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

After looking around on the web, a couple things have become clear about the black and golds cap situation:http:
//www.steelersdepot.com/2012/08/an-early-look-at-the-steelers-2013-salary-cap-situation/

1.) They will be more than 15 Million over the salary cap (potentially and 15 is the smallest number I have found so far.)
2.) If some of their bigger names refuse to restructure their contracts, they could be forced to release many impact players as well as their younger players.
3.) The most common name thrown around as a possible salary cap casualty is James Harrison, as well as Ike Taylor(as well as possibly letting Wallace walk as well if a number cannot be agreed upon in the offseason).

With all the financial issues the Steelers will have to deal with next season:

1.)Will this open a easier window to the division tittle and the playoffs for the Ravens next season?
2.)Also, could OZ potentially turn a weakness into a strength by converting some released players to the Purple and Black?(Harrison maybe?)

#3 Purple Punishment

Purple Punishment

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

Steelers knew this was coming with all of the restructuring they have done the past 2 seasons. This is why you dont restructure contracts because you end up restructuring your whole team when its said and done
"Im Pissed Off For Greatness" -Ray Lewis

PSN: RobtasticVoyage

#4 Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,554 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

let's leave next year to next year... football is here now... and we play the 2012 pitts in about 10 days

#5 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,096 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

James Harrison go bye bye?
Posted Image

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#6 display name

display name

Ravenous Raven

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,310 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

Don't want Harrison.

The Raven, on 03 January 2012 - 05:24 PM said:
"You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

#7 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,096 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

Don't want Harrison.

Haha well not here but his salary, age, and health are a bad combination for the Steelers going ahead.
Posted Image

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#8 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,169 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:45 AM

The older core guys like Hampton, Keisel, Harrison, Taylor and Polamalu are all in decline and the fan base is pushing for a youth movement right now, but the young guys they have coming up aren't your typical Steelers.

#9 JO_75

JO_75

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,927 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:10 AM

The older core guys like Hampton, Keisel, Harrison, Taylor and Polamalu are all in decline and the fan base is pushing for a youth movement right now, but the young guys they have coming up aren't your typical Steelers.

Isn't ironic that we have the same problem? Ravens and Steelers copy each other so much. We tried to replace players with players who weren't typical Ravens and now the Steelers are running into the same issue.

#10 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,169 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:33 AM

Isn't ironic that we have the same problem? Ravens and Steelers copy each other so much. We tried to replace players with players who weren't typical Ravens and now the Steelers are running into the same issue.

I'm just glad it's happening to them as well. For the longest time I just assumed our teams were factories that could pick up any defensive prospect and turn them into beasts.

#11 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

Bond, James Bond. 007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,626 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:56 AM

James Harrison go bye bye?

Best idea ever. Send him to the Redskins so he can sack Romo a lot.....

#12 mhead66

mhead66

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

I'd pretty much bet that Harrison and Casey Hampton are gone after this year - and those two contracts add up to $16 Million - because they have Jason Worilds and Steve McLendon in the wings... and both are playing better than the higher-paid "star."

Plus, Harrison and Hampton have become injury-prone, as they've aged...

#13 Ben_7toBrown_84

Ben_7toBrown_84

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:51 AM

The Steelers do have a bunch of decisions to make especially when it comes to Polamalu and Harrison and what to do with signing Mike Wallace and Mendenhall. But as we have seen over the years the Steelers lose players and they still find ways to win games and make the playoffs and get to the Super Bowl. As long as Ben Roethlisberger is playing QB for the Steelers I believe they can win every single game they play and have a winning season every season he plays. He is having his best year ever under Todd Haley this season and I think he has room to get even better. He is having an MVP type season so far. He is that good and is the main reason the Steelers have been to 3 Super Bowls in the last 8 seasons and won 2 of them. Without Ben Roethlisberger none of that would have happened I truly believe that...

#14 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,629 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

The Steelers do have a bunch of decisions to make especially when it comes to Polamalu and Harrison and what to do with signing Mike Wallace and Mendenhall. But as we have seen over the years the Steelers lose players and they still find ways to win games and make the playoffs and get to the Super Bowl. As long as Ben Roethlisberger is playing QB for the Steelers I believe they can win every single game they play and have a winning season every season he plays. He is having his best year ever under Todd Haley this season and I think he has room to get even better. He is having an MVP type season so far. He is that good and is the main reason the Steelers have been to 3 Super Bowls in the last 8 seasons and won 2 of them. Without Ben Roethlisberger none of that would have happened I truly believe that...

Roethlisberger was definitely not the reason the Steelers won the Super Bowl in 2005 and it's debatable he was the reason they won in 2008.

2005- 9/21 for 123 and 2 INTs. Dilfer was better in the Super Bowl than Roethlisberger was in 2005.

Edited by Bltravens, 10 November 2012 - 06:30 PM.

#15 Ben_7toBrown_84

Ben_7toBrown_84

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

Roethlisberger was definitely not the reason the Steelers won the Super Bowl in 2005 and it's debatable he was the reason they won in 2008.

2005- 9/21 for 123 and 2 INTs. Dilfer was better in the Super Bowl than Roethlisberger was in 2005.

I didnt mean in terms of the way he played in the game in 2005 I mean for the entire season and the entire body of work. He played tremendous in 2005 in the 3 road playoffs games in Cincy,Indy and Denver and had a passer rating of over 100 in each game and had he not played that good in those games they wouldnt have had a chance to make it to the Super Bowl that year in 2005 and win it. And of course in 2008 he had the amazing game winning drive against Arizona where him and Holmes made the infamous throw and catch in the corner of the end zone.

Edited by Ben_7toBrown_84, 10 November 2012 - 08:13 PM.

#16 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,096 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

I didnt mean in terms of the way he played in the game in 2005 I mean for the entire season and the entire body of work. He played tremendous in 2005 in the 3 road playoffs games in Cincy,Indy and Denver and had a passer rating of over 100 in each game and had he not played that good in those games they wouldnt have had a chance to make it to the Super Bowl that year in 2005 and win it. And of course in 2008 he had the amazing game winning drive against Arizona where him and Holmes made the infamous throw and catch in the corner of the end zone.

Not true, it was under 100 against Indy but who's counting? Either way, Roethlisberger was instrumental in making it happen.
Posted Image

#17 redlobster

redlobster

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

Wasn't the cincy game where the steelers dline man dove at Carson palmers knee ? The injury to Palmer seemed to change him forever .

#18 TreTheRaven

TreTheRaven

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

I read a report from Schefter a couple days ago that he's really not expecting Wallace to return next season. His number 1 team to land him? Baltimore. They were unsure what would happen with Q, so they think it would open up the space for Wallace.

Not sure what to think. I love Q, and wouldn't trade or get rid of him for anyone else.

#19 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,096 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

I read a report from Schefter a couple days ago that he's really not expecting Wallace to return next season. His number 1 team to land him? Baltimore. They were unsure what would happen with Q, so they think it would open up the space for Wallace.

Not sure what to think. I love Q, and wouldn't trade or get rid of him for anyone else.

I don't listen to Schefter anymore
Posted Image

#20 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,544 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

I don't listen to Schefter anymore

that's you B! i like schefter. lol!

~Mili

Militant X 1

mili1.png