63 replies to this topic

#1 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Can not follow rules

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

Anyone here got this game? If so, how are you enjoying it? Best new feature? Any tips?
<p><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);"><span style="font-size:24px;">Banned</span></span>.</p>

#2 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,586 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

I accidental opened up a package address to my wife. Turned out to a Christmas present for me (Assassins Creed 3). She told me to just go ahead and play it now, but I said "no wrap it, I'll wait till Christmas".

So I know what I'll be doing during the Christmas holiday.
Posted Image

#3 FerrariFan87

FerrariFan87

Trust Me, A Jedi I Am

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,323 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

Nice, Pu! I'm thinking about getting it for PC, but haven't made a decision yet. It looks really good though.

2550rra.jpg

#4 YYZ66

YYZ66

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

Just finished Revelations (the previous AC game). Will definitely get it eventually, not sure when though.

"Do you hear the sustain?"

"No, I don't hear anything."

"You would if it were playing."

#5 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,586 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

So, anybody play this yet? I see there is a demo on PSN.
Posted Image

#6 Malkavian Raven

Malkavian Raven

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

Being sick has afforded me lots of one-on-one time with the PS3 as of late, I have been playing this game quite a bit. Here goes:

* Free-running has taken a huge upgrade simply in the arena that you no longer have to worry about your character jumping in the wrong direction. Secondly, it's no longer just buildings and clothesline you're able to free-run on, now you can climb trees and mountainsides as well. Also, many secret cubby holes in the free-run arena. It's nice to see someone with an open door or window so you can run through their home and out the backdoor (cut scene).

* The game has kept a lot of the same things that made it great in the past. Building up your own brotherhood of assassins, building your mansion, collecting feathers, etc., but it has added a lot more additional elements such as assassin contracts, wilderness challengers, treasure hunts, animal killing & skinning. Not to mention pimpin' like a pirate on your own boat! Cannons included!

* Combat mode is as complex as in the past, it is actually quite smooth. Some of the fighting cut scenes are superb. However, I will give this one a ding because I have engaged 30 enemies at once and I think I only got hit once.

* Buying weapons and changing your outfit are now a one-time buy, no having to pay to switch weapons or outfits back to something you've already purchased in the past.

* Watching Connor grow from a child to a man has been a real treat.

* Looking at the American history in this game gives you a greater appreciation for it. Never thought I'd be at the Boston Massacre, Boston Tea Party or helping Paul Revere -- but I can vicariously through this game.

* Lastly, I read an article recently that said something along the lines of "40 hours to just to play the storyline", not inclusive of all the bonus stuff. Once I beat the game itself, I intend on buying the additional Tyranny Of Washington chapters.

In short, take Assassin's Creed -- throw in some Skyrim, some Red Dead Redemption along with good ol' fashioned American bad-assery -- You've got ACIII.

The only real knock on this game, I wish you could do more with Desmond outside of the Animus but I guess free-running and solving puzzles are just his thing.

~ Malkavian Raven
Benjamin Franklin is a pimp!

Edited by Malkavian Raven, 12 November 2012 - 09:22 PM.

WE RAISE OUR HEAVY GLASS TO YOU IN OUR INDESTRUCTIBLE DAYS
login.png
MAY HEAVENS CALL TO YOU, MAY STARS ALIGN AND LIGHT YOUR WAY

#7 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Can not follow rules

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

Being sick has afforded me lots of one-on-one time with the PS3 as of late, I have been playing this game quite a bit. Here goes:

* Free-running has taken a huge upgrade simply in the arena that you no longer have to worry about your character jumping in the wrong direction. Secondly, it's no longer just buildings and clothesline you're able to free-run on, now you can climb trees and mountainsides as well. Also, many secret cubby holes in the free-run arena. It's nice to see someone with an open door or window so you can run through their home and out the backdoor (cut scene).

* The game has kept a lot of the same things that made it great in the past. Building up your own brotherhood of assassins, building your mansion, collecting feathers, etc., but it has added a lot more additional elements such as assassin contracts, wilderness challengers, treasure hunts, animal killing & skinning. Not to mention pimpin' like a pirate on your own boat! Cannons included!

* Combat mode is as complex as in the past, it is actually quite smooth. Some of the fighting cut scenes are superb. However, I will give this one a ding because I have engaged 30 enemies at once and I think I only got hit once.

* Buying weapons and changing your outfit are now a one-time buy, no having to pay to switch weapons or outfits back to something you've already purchased in the past.

* Looking at the American history in this game gives you a greater appreciation for it. Never thought I'd be at the Boston Massacre, Boston Tea Party or helping Paul Revere -- but I can vicariously through this game.

* Lastly, I read an article recently that said something along the lines of "40 hours to just to play the storyline", not inclusive of all the bonus stuff. Once I beat the game itself, I intend on buying the additional Tyranny Of Washington chapters.

In short, take Assassin's Creed -- throw in some Skyrim, some Red Dead Redemption along with good ol' fashioned American bad-assery -- You've got ACIII.

The only real knock on this game, I wish you could do more with Desmond outside of the Animus but I guess free-running and solving puzzles are just his thing.

~ Malkavian Raven

Great overview! Good to see you're putting your time off to good use! ;)
<p><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);"><span style="font-size:24px;">Banned</span></span>.</p>

#8 YYZ66

YYZ66

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

~ Malkavian Raven

You just need to go to the assassin's hideout. There will be 2 different rooms, 1 with armor stands, 1 with weapon stands. Just walk up to them, and you can change the armor or weapons. I guess you've been going back to the blacksmiths to change?

Now this is for previous AC's, I haven't played 3 yet. :)

#9 Malkavian Raven

Malkavian Raven

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

Great overview! Good to see you're putting your time off to good use! ;)

I've already go 40 hours in, but I've managed to clear all of my maps of the secondary stuff. Still working on the main storyline. Juno is one creepy [profanity deleted].

You just need to go to the assassin's hideout. There will be 2 different rooms, 1 with armor stands, 1 with weapon stands. Just walk up to them, and you can change the armor or weapons. I guess you've been going back to the blacksmiths to change?

Now this is for previous AC's, I haven't played 3 yet. :)

Oh no, I knew this as well. That comment was more leaning towards the buying of the outfits. Although, they are limited. So far, I've only seen three outfits available for purchase. However, your mansion does allow you to change into different outfits like normal. For instance, if you want to return Connor to his teenage years, just simply collect all the feathers and that will unlock that particular outfit.

~ Malkavian Raven
Die William Johnson, DIE!!!

login.png

#10 YYZ66

YYZ66

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

Oh no, I knew this as well. That comment was more leaning towards the buying of the outfits. Although, they are limited. So far, I've only seen three outfits available for purchase. However, your mansion does allow you to change into different outfits like normal. For instance, if you want to return Connor to his teenage years, just simply collect all the feathers and that will unlock that particular outfit.

~ Malkavian Raven
Die William Johnson, DIE!!!

Oh, got ya! ;)
Have you tried the multiplayer yet? I've heard it's co-op, is that true?

#11 Malkavian Raven

Malkavian Raven

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

Oh, got ya! ;)
Have you tried the multiplayer yet? I've heard it's co-op, is that true?

I, personally, have not. My children have though. They absolutely love it, and yes, it is co-op.

~ Malkavian Raven

login.png

#12 YYZ66

YYZ66

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:03 AM

I, personally, have not. My children have though. They absolutely love it, and yes, it is co-op.

~ Malkavian Raven

Awesome, thanks dude! I rarely drop $60 for a new game, might make an exception tomorrow.....

#13 bdravens

bdravens

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

It's totally worth it. The graphics are insane, the gameplay is awesome. I'm a huge history buff so this game was absolutely perfect for me. Some parts are kinda difficult though. The multiplayer I didn't like at all, it just left a lot to be desired. Overall I'd give it a 8.5/9 out of 10.
"We have Anquan Boldin, and youuuu dooon't"-Zibby
Posted Image

#14 Corvus

Corvus

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

The game looks fantastic and the story is pretty good. Apart from that, I just find myself (and this i s solely my opinion) not having a lot of "fun" with this game. The last game I played was AC II, missed Brotherhood and Revelations. To me, it seems like the combat is more twitchy and more difficult to control for me anyway. I'm supposed to be able to counter and execute certain enemies by pressing "circle" followed by "square" on PS3, yet every time I'm on battle with some British regulars (not even the Jagers and other bigger enemies" I counter and then throw enemies every time, it hets frustrating to me if I choose to actually fight a decent sized group of enemies instead of free running to safety.

The weapon and tool inventory is a hassle to me. Games like Red Dead, Mass Effect, and many many other have perfected a weapon, tool selection process on the main screen. Yet here, if I need my pistol instead of my bow or poison darts instead of animal bait, etc, you have to hold in the trigger, are taken to a menu screen and select from there before returning to the game. A minor gripe but sort of clunky to me.

I like Connor as a character, he really is pretty interesting, but his monotone voice actor kills me, again another small gripe.

A new aspect of the game that I will say was really fun, well done, and not very glitchy are the naval combat missions. A lot of fun to command your own ship and crew and blow up the hulls of some Templar schooners.

My biggest complaint with the game is all of the optional objectives for 100% synchronization. I understand that getting perfection out of the game shouldn't be easy and I'm not asking for that, but so many of these objectives are things I look at and say "Why would an assassin need to do this?" A great example is early in the game. Without spoiling, you are chasing a target through a forest on horseback (don't get me started on horses, since ACI, they have been by far the only truly bad and negative game aspec of the entire series). You're optional objective is to fire on three powder carts along the path during the chase. You cannot fire your pistol from a full gallop so must slow down from chasing your TARGET, fire on the cart, reload a flintlock pistol which accurately takes a while, and get back to full speed to continue your chase. By the time I get to the second cart to shoot it, I am already losing my target. Again, WHY would I realistically need to do such a thing in a game that prides itself on historical realism?

The game is currently glitchy as heck as well. Ubisoft is getting ready to release a massive patch (and by massive I mean fixing something like 100+ known glitches across single player and multiplayer) so I will pick the game back up and finish after I've updated. Its just unfortunate to me that they had to rush out a product that was incomplete because of corporate deadlines or trying to beat out Black Ops II or whatever their reasoning was.

In conclusion, I personally have had some control issues and smaller gripes, but the core game itself is a beautiful piece of work and with the patch, should run a lot more smoothly. But as it is as I type this, it is an incomplete game and if you are interested in it, I would highly recommend waiting until the update is available (which is being released either today or next Tuesday, cannot recall off of the top of my head) before jumping into it.

#15 YYZ66

YYZ66

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

It's totally worth it. The graphics are insane, the gameplay is awesome. I'm a huge history buff so this game was absolutely perfect for me. Some parts are kinda difficult though. The multiplayer I didn't like at all, it just left a lot to be desired. Overall I'd give it a 8.5/9 out of 10.

Same here. Not too far into it, but they did a good job on the Boston Massacre. Although I don't believe a Templar fired the first shot. :lol:

#16 Malkavian Raven

Malkavian Raven

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

The game looks fantastic and the story is pretty good. Apart from that, I just find myself (and this i s solely my opinion) not having a lot of "fun" with this game. The last game I played was AC II, missed Brotherhood and Revelations. To me, it seems like the combat is more twitchy and more difficult to control for me anyway. I'm supposed to be able to counter and execute certain enemies by pressing "circle" followed by "square" on PS3, yet every time I'm on battle with some British regulars (not even the Jagers and other bigger enemies" I counter and then throw enemies every time, it hets frustrating to me if I choose to actually fight a decent sized group of enemies instead of free running to safety.

The weapon and tool inventory is a hassle to me. Games like Red Dead, Mass Effect, and many many other have perfected a weapon, tool selection process on the main screen. Yet here, if I need my pistol instead of my bow or poison darts instead of animal bait, etc, you have to hold in the trigger, are taken to a menu screen and select from there before returning to the game. A minor gripe but sort of clunky to me.

I like Connor as a character, he really is pretty interesting, but his monotone voice actor kills me, again another small gripe.

A new aspect of the game that I will say was really fun, well done, and not very glitchy are the naval combat missions. A lot of fun to command your own ship and crew and blow up the hulls of some Templar schooners.

My biggest complaint with the game is all of the optional objectives for 100% synchronization. I understand that getting perfection out of the game shouldn't be easy and I'm not asking for that, but so many of these objectives are things I look at and say "Why would an assassin need to do this?" A great example is early in the game. Without spoiling, you are chasing a target through a forest on horseback (don't get me started on horses, since ACI, they have been by far the only truly bad and negative game aspec of the entire series). You're optional objective is to fire on three powder carts along the path during the chase. You cannot fire your pistol from a full gallop so must slow down from chasing your TARGET, fire on the cart, reload a flintlock pistol which accurately takes a while, and get back to full speed to continue your chase. By the time I get to the second cart to shoot it, I am already losing my target. Again, WHY would I realistically need to do such a thing in a game that prides itself on historical realism?

The game is currently glitchy as heck as well. Ubisoft is getting ready to release a massive patch (and by massive I mean fixing something like 100+ known glitches across single player and multiplayer) so I will pick the game back up and finish after I've updated. Its just unfortunate to me that they had to rush out a product that was incomplete because of corporate deadlines or trying to beat out Black Ops II or whatever their reasoning was.

In conclusion, I personally have had some control issues and smaller gripes, but the core game itself is a beautiful piece of work and with the patch, should run a lot more smoothly. But as it is as I type this, it is an incomplete game and if you are interested in it, I would highly recommend waiting until the update is available (which is being released either today or next Tuesday, cannot recall off of the top of my head) before jumping into it.

I will agree with you on both counts, the countering/throwing issue and the 'shooting of the gunpowder kegs on horseback'.

However, I did notice that when I press "circle" multiple times to get the "timing" right on the counter, it automatically sees that as a "throw" command. So, I've kind of retrained my brain to stop tapping the circle and just holding it in. Then when I see the counter take effect, then I rob their weapon or counter attack.

The riding on the barrels was absolutely ridiculous and replaying the mission is even more impossible. The target is already to a full sprint before you're able to even turn around. However, after 12 retries, I finally got it.

Now, to see if I can catch that stupid elusive bobcat for the hunter's lodge.

~ Malkavian Raven

login.png

#17 Corvus

Corvus

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

I will agree with you on both counts, the countering/throwing issue and the 'shooting of the gunpowder kegs on horseback'.

However, I did notice that when I press "circle" multiple times to get the "timing" right on the counter, it automatically sees that as a "throw" command. So, I've kind of retrained my brain to stop tapping the circle and just holding it in. Then when I see the counter take effect, then I rob their weapon or counter attack.

The riding on the barrels was absolutely ridiculous and replaying the mission is even more impossible. The target is already to a full sprint before you're able to even turn around. However, after 12 retries, I finally got it.

Now, to see if I can catch that stupid elusive bobcat for the hunter's lodge.

~ Malkavian Raven

Thanks for the countering tip, I'll have to train myself the same way once I get back to the playing. I jJust got the assassin game that I've really been waiting for Hitman: Absolution, so the conclusion to Connor's story is temporarily on the back burner lol

#18 Malkavian Raven

Malkavian Raven

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

Thanks for the countering tip, I'll have to train myself the same way once I get back to the playing. I jJust got the assassin game that I've really been waiting for Hitman: Absolution, so the conclusion to Connor's story is temporarily on the back burner lol

No problems. Since you seem to be the "ship" buff -- any tips on syncing on the Fort Phoenix mission? Seem to be handling the mission fine until I start getting bombarded by the cannons at the fort. Kind of hard to keep your ship damage limited to 50% when you've got to make three passes.

~ Malkavian Raven
Now to find the Headless Horseman.

login.png

#19 marylandmike12

marylandmike12

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

I think the campaign is better than the multiplayer. This year the enemies actually fight against you unlike other ac games where they sit untill there death. multiplayer got old very fast. thats my opinion.

#20 Malkavian Raven

Malkavian Raven

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

FINALLY!!! All my U-Play stuff went through. Not sure what was going on, but my PSN Store codes weren't working and finally today they appeared. I've got Ezio's outfit, some Benedict Arnold missions, a new sword and a new Mayan mission to do. Woo hoo!!

Finally made it to New York. Time to collect all those treasure chests and finish upgrading my boat.

~ Malkavian Raven
I'm on a boat, and... it's going fast, and... I've got a nautical theme, please pass me my afghan... I'm on top of the world just like Leo... and if you're on the shore... then you're sure not me-oh!

login.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users