Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Ed Dickson Taking John Harbaugh's Challenge To Heart

54 posts in this topic

Dennis Pitta said he would love to be more involved on offense.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ed-Dickson-Taking-John-Harbaughs-Challenge-To-Heart/1315b4eb-f71a-48d3-a96c-9499028fec87]View the full article[/url]

Where is Bajema? If the ball's bouncing off of either Dickson's or Pitta's hands, why not give Bajema a shot? The guy made the roster for a reason...

Dickson go hang out at Jacoby's house and use his jugs machine...its working for Jacoby!

Bajema is good and remind me of Heap, but really are the Patriots calling for their #3 also?

Quarterback Joe Flacco, who has a strong connection with Pitta, said he doesn't think there's anything the tight ends have done or defenses have done to shut them down that has led to their drop in production.

Flacco bond with Pitta isn't a bad thing but I saw this coming, friends making friends shine now look what we have, absent TEs. This is Flacco's fault, of course Dickson drops count as a part of it but Flacco know Dickson is good and should keep targeting him to give him a bounce back chance. No targets equals no recognition equals everybody thinking he isn't good. Dickson is a beast, stop playing and get him involved.

Forget Jacoby's house, Dickson need to do what Pitta doing, going over Flacco's house. Jacoby not getting targeted that much anymore either.

[quote name='Hardhitters' timestamp='1352394419' post='1213282']
Bajema is good and remind me of Heap, but really are the Patriots calling for their #3 also?

Quarterback Joe Flacco, who has a strong connection with Pitta, said he doesn't think there's anything the tight ends have done or defenses have done to shut them down that has led to their drop in production.

Flacco bond with Pitta isn't a bad thing but I saw this coming, friends making friends shine now look what we have, absent TEs. This is Flacco's fault, of course Dickson drops count as a part of it but Flacco know Dickson is good and should keep targeting him to give him a bounce back chance. No targets equals no recognition equals everybody thinking he isn't good. Dickson is a beast, stop playing and get him involved.
[/quote]What's Joe's friendship with Pitta have to with Dickson's drops?

I think that Dickson needs to be more productive... but I also think that our TE's issue is the play calling! CAM needs to take HArbs challenge to heart also!

So what am i missing how is it joe flacco fault for dickson dropping passes. This is a business your paid to catch the football, and remember almost every, no every drop pass from dickson has been a perfectly thrown ball. It doesnt matter if joe and dennis are great friends off the field. That should not effect the other te's play; what is Dickson that jealous of pitta that he has to drop passes. NO flacco throws it to everybody may not have great confidence to ed becuase he drops so many passes.

Yo Ryan mink what is the stat of our team in dropped passes? Or anybody thank you

@steeler hater

It's a matter of my personal opinion, ever since their friendship has been highlighted Dickson has been no where to be found and Flacco has started throwing to Pitta recklessly.
Target Dickson more or all we will remember is the few drops he had.

If Flacco lost confidence in Dickson than sit with him on the sideline and build it back up. Communicate, get it right.

What has the benefit of Pitta starting accomplished? In my opinion it accomplished going from 2 of the best TEs to wondering what our 3rd TE can do. It wasn't broke, just needed adjustment, but this adjustment left us with nothing.

dickson drops allot of passes thats why he's not targetted . its not a conspiracy . Joe's numbers take a hit as well when they drop balls . i think any qb is going to go to a shorehanded reciever as opposed to one who is having problems esp when the offense is struggling as it is .

They can use Dickson and Pitta on "SLANTS" and Double Moves down the middle or in the Slot at times! I really feel this two TE thing is affecting Dickson's play! He comes off the bench "COLD" and has to catch a "ROCKET"! Lol!

Boldin drop passes sometimes but who would be the fool to not target him again. Build chemistry or let it go to waste.

I believe our offense needs these tight ends to step up big time. We take a one sided approach too much. We can't just let our receivers take the whole game on their shoulders or Ray Rice, it needs to be receivers, tight ends, and the running game all working together as completely different phases of the offense. Let's switch it up and add some speed to the game WITHOUT no-huddle.

"He had 40 catches for 40 yards and three scores last season."

Wow! That's got to be the worst performance ever.
I am looking for a second job. Can I get a job as a proofreader/fact checker, please?

[quote name='Hardhitters' timestamp='1352396138' post='1213302']
If Flacco lost confidence in Dickson than sit with him on the sideline and build it back up. Communicate, get it right.
[/quote]

Is sitting on the sideline a productive way of building up confidence?

Nope! Not even close!

[quote name='Hardhitters' timestamp='1352396336' post='1213304']
What has the benefit of Pitta starting accomplished? In my opinion it accomplished going from 2 of the best TEs to wondering what our 3rd TE can do. It wasn't broke, just needed adjustment, but this adjustment left us with nothing.
[/quote]

Maybe because of the obvious fact that Pitta is more reliable than Dickson. His hands are golden. Dickson couldn't even catch a cold. Pitta is more reliable on third down and in the red zone. Has he disappeared lately? Yes, he has. This is easily attributed to Cam's suspect play calling and the fact that defenses have started to game plan for Pitta.

the great jerry rice dropped soooo many passes and was booed his rookie season and noe he is the beast ever at his position. do not give up on dickson just yet

[quote name='The Greek' timestamp='1352401953' post='1213358']
the great jerry rice dropped soooo many passes and was booed his rookie season and noe he is the beast ever at his position. do not give up on dickson just yet
[/quote]

This is Dickson's 3rd year. I'm growing very tired of his inconsistent hands. His hands have shown no improvement.

@The Raven

Sitting on the sideline while your defense is on the field. Communicating with each other, looking a photos and talking about what's needed and been seen. Build confidence with communication.

We need to find creative ways to use our TE's. All they do is line up and run down the hash marks. What about a TE inside screen, or slants , or put them in motion and use them as a FB to get a slower LB on them. We are sooooo boring on Offense. Bilichick would have a field day with our talent.

@The Raven

So he did disappear and Cam play calling has made both disappear is what you're saying and agreeing to. So that means what we did before moving Dickson to #2 worked fine. We lost 2 TEs production with one wrong move.

Time for everyone to step up, we have the Steelers coming up and I want to kick their ---!

Ugh, ITS Cam Cameron! He doesnt get everyone involved .. He calls games horribly why dont we get rid of him already!?

@TorryGundy, Bilichick has a field day with his own talent...especially his tight ends. And people may think that Flacco will shy away from Dickson, but Flacco isn't that type of QB. When your open, Flacco will throw it to you it doesn't matter who you are. Dickson's drops have been a major problem, actually i recall last year in the AFC championship game when we had about a 3rd and 2 just inside NE's territory and flacco hit dickson right in the hands and he dropped it, killed our drive, and i understand things like that happen, yeahh you drop passes, but in critical situations, you CAN'T drop a pass. (Lee Evans for instance...).

I think the reason they are not more involved is because they aer not use correctly!!! I remember last year against the Bengals in the final game of the season, Pitta played reciever and had a heck of a game. These guys have the talent to be able to use 2 TE sets and still be able to pass from it. Pitta and Dickson should be working the middle of teh field a lot and up the seams. That would open up underneath for Torrey and Q, but we don't do that stuff.....Cam Cameron is our OC.....

[quote name='Hardhitters' timestamp='1352402508' post='1213366']
@The Raven

Sitting on the sideline while your defense is on the field. Communicating with each other, looking a photos and talking about what's needed and been seen. Build confidence with communication.
[/quote]

Will that make Dickson catch better? Doubtful!

[quote name='Hardhitters' timestamp='1352402792' post='1213369']
@The Raven

So he did disappear and Cam play calling has made both disappear is what you're saying and agreeing to. So that means what we did before moving Dickson to #2 worked fine. We lost 2 TEs production with one wrong move.
[/quote]

No. It wasn't a wrong move. Pitta has earned the number one spot and it's not even up for debate. He's reliable. Dickson's not.

@The Raven

Sounds good, but where have they been? And confidence from your QB does make a difference. Why was the Colts receivers so good, they were good and they had a perfectionist as a QB. Peyton made sure they was on point. It's different hearing it from your coach than the one throwing you the ball. If Flacco doesn't show Dickson his belief in him, not Ozzie or anyone else can. And Dickson will be catching TD after TD for Drew Brees or someone else, once his contract is up.

"You know what, it's all a mindset," he said. "I didn't know what would happen if I didn't catch a ball.

wrong mindset! from here on out you need to think; "what will happen when i catch the ball?"

~Mili

"Ed Dickson Taking John Harbaugh's Challenge To Heart"
You have no choice Dickson. First of all you have to make Joe Flacco feel comfortable in throwing you the ball if you actually do get open. Second of all once he does throw the ball, you need to figure out a way to actually catch it! If you do these two things, you will have taken his challenge to heart or else it's just gibberish!

I'll take a bunch of completions and a bunch of TD's, from anyone, but yeah, it's always good to have everyone making catches and on the same page, as well. The 1st game, Joe did a great job of distributing the ball to a lot of diff. targets. Maybe, before too long, he'll have some great games like that Cincy game. You've got to practice (through games) at being great. It's not quite as easy as flipping a switch in the playoffs. I hope we start showing just what we're capable at doing on offense soon, this week, we're gonna need to be super against Oak. Palmer always plays well against Baltimore.

You all do realize that majority of the pass plays called are directed to one receiver, case in point the 6 or so plays against Houston to the right that kept getting batted down, the plays being called are for specific timing routes to specific receivers. The plays THAT NEED to be called are the ones that allow Flacco to go through his progressions and allow for a receiver to adjust his route based on what the defense gives them...

@ibleedpurpleandblack

That's very understandable, but what happens if it's meant for one receiver and Flacco reads his progressions anyway?
Do he get fired or benched.
Do Cam say I don't care if they swatting your passes, throw it anyway.
Or do we end up with a QB that takes control after reading the defense.
Or a QB that knows how to adjust during the play and make something out of nothing.

It's no different than a basketball player who is in a slump, Dickson and Pitta will get back on track. It's not like they're talent and skillsets just went away. We, as a team, will just have to make sure we utilize them more. It will happen as our offense solidifies.

Dickson is big, athletic and tough. But he has lousy hands. Can that be taught? Aren't there about a million other guys who can catch out there? If he drops many more I'd get somebody else in there who can catch the ball. Basically, that's his job, catching the freaking football. If he can't do that who cares what else he can do? He dropped em last year, he's been dropping em this year. I think it's getting close to case closed.

Pitta reminds me of jason witten very good hands reliable and he can block. Dickson reminds me of vernon davis very athletic meh blocker but drops balls. Davis fixed his dropping dickson hasn't.

Dickson... more athletic... Pitta... better hands. I sure wish we could mold the two into one... Yes, we'd have another Heap or Witten.

I love Pitta. I remember watching him at Combine. I thought it would be sooooo cool for the Ravens to get that guy, and we did... Now we just need to develop him MORE. He has all the potential to be a GREAT TE.

So does Dickson. Much more mobile and much quicker.

John Harbaugh ? anyone in the Raven's camp listening ?
Invite Jerry Rice the greatest wide receiver of all time to come into the Ravens camp and teach these young guys like Ed Dickson and Torrey Smith to be more productive in learning the art of catching the ball instead of dropping it.
Yes John Harbaugh this is a challenge to you to give Jerry Rice a call even if it's just a visit to the Raven's camp.
If anything it would give these young guys someone to look up to and be a inspiration.

I would love to see Pitta get yards after the catch. He almost always goes to the ground after the catch. A lot of the time, there is no imminent tackler. Why can't he keep his feet under him? He is not gonna run away from anyone, I know this. But frustrating, never-the-less.

The diesel package baby it worked great last year we need more of it gives us big time mismatch against linebackers with pitta and Dickson out there.

@The Mom Gene,that about sums it up,other then the fact that in college Pita was more of a 'traditional' TE,whereas Dickson was a TE playing like a WR at Oregon,both have to improve as blockers,and I think the Ravens have addressed that by picking up a blocking TE,this week!

[url="http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232"]http://stats.washing...ge=NFL&rank=232[/url]

Ravens have 9 drops, least in the league.

This is the same stuff Dickson said in the preseason, but he's still out there dropping balls when he's not invisible.