Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Can Ravens Defense Still Improve?

33 posts in this topic

Outsiders have given up hope, but the Ravens defense says it will get back to being great.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Can-Ravens-Defense-Still-Improve/acbcd504-2af9-4554-845a-37c69f0ab9d3]View the full article[/url]

it will take 2 solid drafts and a def coord. that can run the organized chaos to get us back to a top 3 defense

Upshaw is young and growing
Mcphee getting healthy and still growing
Ngata... getting healthy
Jimmy...learning and growing
Ellerbee... still learning and growing
Krueger... same
McClellan... same
McClain...same

make no mistake about it we have the personal... but we are having some grwoing pains...
but as the growth is happening...we will continue to get better!

Infact... I think that defensively the best is yet to come for this young team!

I'm getting tired of hearing about communicating. These guys have been together so long they should know when each other is going to fart. Can we say the talent isn't there? At this point thats my take. Free agency, injuries, age have taken it's tole on us. I just don't think the "the next man up" has the talent to make us the caliber team we need to be.

[quote name='steelcityraven' timestamp='1352395535' post='1213296']
Upshaw is young and growing
Mcphee getting healthy and still growing
Ngata... getting healthy
Jimmy...learning and growing
Ellerbee... still learning and growing
Krueger... same
McClellan... same
McClain...same

make no mistake about it we have the personal... but we are having some grwoing pains...
but as the growth is happening...we will continue to get better!

Infact... I think that defensively the best is yet to come for this young team!
[/quote]

The real danger is that by the time they'd mature and gel into a great D, many of them may be playing somewhere else...

bio

[quote name='racer' timestamp='1352396144' post='1213303']These guys have been together so long they should know when each other is going to fart. [/quote]

Well, Joe certainly knows when Matt farts :D

bio

Im glad SOME of these fans dont speak for me! Personnaly, I like watching the Defense "Persevere" through this season the Ups and the Downs! Show's the growth and they are gonna perform for Ray because they know he will be watching if he isnt on the sidelines! Just when you thought the Defense was down "BOOM"! Black and Purple! And, now the Offense can return the favor, since the Defense been Covering their So and So for I dont know how long! No Dis, just keepin It 100!

yea we need alot of improvement if we wanna go deep into the playoffs and have a shot at playing in the superbowl. i really think it was our year last year and we blew it not nearly as confident this year that we got a shot.

[quote name='The Greek' timestamp='1352394082' post='1213279']
it will take 2 solid drafts and a def coord. that can run the organized chaos to get us back to a top 3 defense
[/quote]

Nope, one more draft and everyone being healthy. Defensive coordinator is so-so.

CxM_27: You are so right about Dean Pees. I hear a lot of complaining about Cam, but how anybody can take a top-ranked defense and turn it into a bottom-dwelling defense in 8 games is absolutely beyond me. Better for all of us if he stayed home on Sundays.

Are we positive that he wasn't planted in Baltimore by Bill Belichick to sabotage our D?

We are 6-2, but if you look ahead to our schedule...as a football fan i could easily see us struggling a lot. If we don't play good defense and play all around good football, we could easily finish 8-8....we have to get better. The steelers are a lot better than we are right now, and im not afraid to admit that even though im a die hard Ravens fan.

I'm more worried about Carson beating us through the air than the running game of Oak. They are down to back-ups of back-ups for running backs. I hope we're better in the coverage area this Sun. I see a good win coming if Oak. implodes and can't pass the ball. Otherwise, it's the home-field adv. that's gonna earn the win. 12th Man rules in Balt.

as long as they constantly force turnover limit the big plays and don't give up to many TD's yards are a meaningless stat

I'm glad it's not just obvious to me that we will definitely get better as the season goes on. We have too too much talent not to.

[quote name='ravenstime' timestamp='1352407174' post='1213413']
I'm more worried about Carson beating us through the air than the running game of Oak. They are down to back-ups of back-ups for running backs. I hope we're better in the coverage area this Sun. I see a good win coming if Oak. implodes and can't pass the ball. Otherwise, it's the home-field adv. that's gonna earn the win. 12th Man rules in Balt.
[/quote]I agree. I think we have a potential to throw down a blow out in this game. We SHOULD be blowing a team like this out at home. Would give us good momentum going into the PGH game. PGH plays Monday, so they do also get 1 less day of rest.

The red zone D is so much better because receivers can't run deep and burn our corners. Seems like there have been so many times when it's been 3rd and forever and they make plays against Williams and Smith-- who play like 20 yards off and get tricked by the dbl move. Not to harp on them - they have plenty of potential - but missing Webb has been a major blow.

[quote name='ravenstime' timestamp='1352407174' post='1213413']
I'm more worried about Carson beating us through the air than the running game of Oak. They are down to back-ups of back-ups for running backs. [/quote]

The Cowboys were among the worst running teams - than they came to Baltimore and made the most running yards on us any team has ever made...

Also, the steelers had their prime running backs out, still they were successful running.

So, I wouldn't rule out a good running game from the Raiders...

bio

i think what we have to improve on is the offense - we have so much talent on the offensive side of the ball and we should use that talent - if we are going to pass more than we have to find ways to improve the passing game - the passing game didnt work that well with the texans so we have to make major improvements on the offensive side of the ball

First post on the forum but a long time follower. I think the defense is really going to improve week by week from here on out. We had so many new players on the front seven who hadnt started in the NFL before this season (and that was before Sizzle got hurt but Thankfully the beast is back) so of course there is going to be a learning curve, Not to mention what a healthy Ngata and Mcphee would do, As far as the secondary Jimmy Smith is only going to get better, he just needs to catch up on the mental side of the game I think he will be a top corner in this league soon possibly by the end of this season. Cary Williams is turning into a little bit of a ball hawk so hopefully that will build his confidence enough to where he can atleast match his play from last season and you know what you have with the G.O.A.T and Bone crusher roaming around. So all in all the defense really can't get much worse so maybe this is all wishful thinking but I can not wait to get our defense back.