Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Late For Work 11/8: Ravens' Surprising Defensive MVP

71 posts in this topic

Williams: I was worth more. Pitta wants the ball. When should Suggs run out tunnel?

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Late-For-Work-118-Ravens-Surprising-Defensive-MVP/c5b33ed6-e8e1-4281-b89f-5020387dee68]View the full article[/url]

Like I said from the beginning: Baltimore takes care of their own. Cary may or may not get more. But, this one thing is for certain: He'll get the best offer from us. If he doesn't like it, he can, like Ray Lewis and the rest, go on the market. And there he will find just how much we love him. Go Ravens!!! :)

I have been pleasantly surprised with Elerbe! I think if Ngata needs a week to rest up for the Steelers game than go for it.

We've already got the Steelers' number. I told y'all that last year. And, I was right. Don't give them more credit than they deserve. They're playing great right now. But, we've got something going, too. Go Ravens!!! :)

Save the defense for the Steelers game, the crowd is much more hyped when the defense comes out than when the offense does, just isn't the same when Ray Ray doesn't :(

Everyone will see how "DEEP" the Ravens really are! Dannelle Ellerbe is "Just a Tip of The Iceberg" and what he has will be "CONTAGIOUS" for the Remainder of the season! Just in time for "The General's" Return! "God Willing"!

Ahhhh, so even Pitta reiterates that the TE's need to be involved more in order to have the opportunity to make plays...so i guess that falls on the game plan called by the OC - go figure....(rolling eyes)

As for the TEs, this is the run portion of the season. They may very well get their wish. Smash-mouth football time. No more airing-it-out. Go Ravens!!! :)

Me myself, I have been wondering the last couple of weeks when Pitta and Dickson will get more TDs their way. Guess Sunday will give us an answer.

I wish you get the ball more too Pitta, but you're not part of Cam's genius plan right now. As for Cary, those four interceptions still don't prove anything to me. You can get burnt all day long and then on one play come up with an interception. That's not good enough. Cary needs to be more consistent, play the ball, and stop playing the receivers twenty yards off.

save the d for the steelers game! it has much more meaning. and i think the offense needs to hear their names called to get the confidence to roll over the raiders

Williams does not deserve 15 mil or more until he can prove to be consistent in defending the pass. Hey maybe leading the league in interceptions but I feel like he still gets consistently beat down the field at the same time. Causing turn overs can help but its no replacement for not letting them get first down after first down after playing off the receiver 10 yards literally giving them yards.

We really need the defense to step up against the Raiders. They can score a lot of points. Of course, we need to rock the Roth in Squeelboys game too.

Pitta was a top target early in the season because Jacoby Jones was on the field more. It spread the defense out, opening up the shorter routes that Pitta was running. The answer to our offense, and I'm not joking, is Jacoby Jones. Put him on the field more, and our offense will start to look more like it did at the beginning of the season. We looked good early BECAUSE Jones was on the field more. The last 4 games, we have been significantly less productive on offense, and the common denominator is Jacoby Jones: on the field a lot early in the season = great production, on the field less in the second part of the season = worse production.

Do defensive intros Dec. 2. It's my first Ravens home game and I'm flying out from Kansas City (where I've seen Sizzle & Company play three times already) for this one. A Sizzle intro would make that ticket worth every penny.

LMAO come on what games are you guys watching. Williams is getting shredded every single game. He looked foolish 3 or 4 times last game against the Browns. Just so you guys know where all the yardage is coming from. Williams has well over 60 Tackles. On the Ravens stat page it say 44 but it has been like that since week 5. He gives about a 15yd cushion and they just throw short in front of him all the way down the field. So what if he has 4 INT's only 1 of them was because he was playing his position correctly. 3yrs. 15 million? That is ridiculous for someone that has no clue of the confines of the defense.

This is one of those Stats lie type of thing. I guess when you get picked on and abused by QB's all season and out of the doazens of balls thrown your way that get caught for big plays and td's, 4 picks is making this guy really believe he is good. Well God bless him because he is not, and another team will overpay for him next year becuase we darn sure wont franchise him and we better not overpay for him. Sometimes I think as a team we get caught up on prototypical bodies and give people too much of a chance. I.E. Streetr, Darling, Cary Williams, heck almost all of our last WR prospects. Balling is balling. Look at our best players, Ray and Ray undersized but they ball. Suggs, chubby but he balls so hard. We need to draft and make deals for a top CB next year.

cary williams isnt worth 3 years 5 million let alone 15 million... the reason he leads the league in interceptions is because he is the weakest link on the defense and offenses know it so they are going to try and throw at him on every play... all of his interceptions were terribly thrown footballs... please let this man walk during the offseason...

starting a petition to get asa jackson some playing time. the guy is a baller (a lot like webb) and deserves a shot in the secondary and maybe even the return game

@jek, if we get him at the right price then why let him walk? If we can keep him as a 3rd corner for a good price then he would be a very useful player

I know what the consensus is on Cary Williams here, but like i've been saying, I think he is close to being the corner we need him to be. His problem has been curl routes, which are created by his cushion he allows, and then inevitably, the receiver puts on a double move and beats him deep.

I believe Williams can and will fix these issues, which will make him a solid corner. The way QB's pick on him with those curls, I think he can easily bait them into throwing picks, hence why he has so many. He has long arms which are valuable at that position when he fights for balls in his vicinity. Just need to keep listening to Coach Ed and others. When its said and done, I think that Williams will remain our #2 corner but be better than some #1 corners on other teams. Him and a healthy Webb will make a great tandem.

I wish I was this high on Jimmy Smith..

I would like to see the offense introduced this week but with Suggs leading them out of the tunnel similar to a few weeks ago when the defense was introduced but Birk lead them out. I just think it would be kinda wierd seeing Sizzle on the field, at home, and not introduce him.

Cary Williams still isn't worth Webb money, but it is comforting to see him get some picks after last season when he had no hands. If he could find the physicality he had last season then he would have a better argument.

And speaking of physicality, WHAT HAPPENED TO POLLARD???!!!

Also, if Jimmy doesn't pan out, I'd be fine with having the Webb-Williams combo. One ball-ahwking CB that shuts down and another CB that ball hawks and just gets beat underneath... by the same route, but that's just one weakness that a lot of CBs have.

I kind of got them introducing him... I dont thank suggs is going to tell everybody whats going to happen... just to get the crowd even more pump... but as far as cary... don't hate me for this but it wouldn't be right if i don't say but... he has 4 picks cause they just throw his way. its not got tech. its just that he gets lucky to me. now if he can learn to turn his head then he'll be better but the contract thing. he should've took it. stats always don't tell the truth about a persons ability.

First off: Great job, Dannell! Keep it up!!

Secondly: Williams: I'm glad that you're contributing with your INTs...it's awesome. But let's have some perspective here. What you've done is good, because you're capitalizing, so don't get me wrong here. Balls are being thrown your way more often than anybody; and that's because you're not that great at covering. (At least not more than 3 years, $15 mil great) Your INTs have been gimmes, and your opportunities to obtain INTs have increased because QBs throw your way...and they'll continue to do so.

You've made some great plays...but you've made more bad plays. So don't give me this "I was worth more" crap. Simply put: Your play is inconsistent at best.

So no, you are not worth more than $15,000,000 over 3 years.

[quote name='jek81791' timestamp='1352390007' post='1213231']
cary williams isnt worth 3 years 5 million let alone 15 million... the reason he leads the league in interceptions is because he is the weakest link on the defense and offenses know it so they are going to try and throw at him on every play... all of his interceptions were terribly thrown footballs... please let this man walk during the offseason...
[/quote]

Well said. If a huge majority of passes are going his way, he should get some picks, right?
Ray said it best, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

i agree with the comment made down there about Williams looking better then he is ,if you throw to any corner 45% of the time hes bound to get lucky Int once in awhile and 2 against cleveland a rookie qb ,so let another team Pay Huge money for Him and get us a Better corner FA next year because our draft should be fully committed to fixing Both sides of the Line and Perhaps finding a good LB for once had we drafted Hightower or Burfict picked him up after the Draft i would be saying maybe a safety couldnt Hurt considering we dont know Ed Reeds Status for next year or how much $ he will demand,Team really is not as bad of shape as many pundits are saying we need a new off cord new def cord to be more creative and better lines on both sides of the ball ,Heck we do this in the draft it would even make Cary williams look decent at best.

I agree Cary has been getting beat up on some routes, but at the same time for Willams/Smith, at some point our defensive line has to get pressure, if you put pressure on the QB, make him move atleast instead of just standing there like a statue, i mean eventually anyone would get open. I think Cary has everything a great CB needs to be succesful. Last year we put so much more pressure on QB's and it helped out.

I agree. Let Williams go on the market. His coverage is horrible. He has done plenty of damage with the yards he has given up. Against the Browns he looked lost at times.

Cary williams has grown tremendously in the INT department - but he still seems easy to beat most of the times. He should have taken the money.

bio

Well, the Raiders-game seems about the perfect chance to give Ngata a week off - because after that, we'll need him more than bad down the stretch...

bio

People, Webb would look bad with the lack of pass rush this defense has. And Webb isn't that great of a cover corner to begin with. If Williams ints are cause of luck then I guess you could say the same thing about Ed Reed. For the last few years, Reeds ints have come off tipped passes or QBs forcing bad throws. Williams would be the 1st or 2nd string corner on most defenses.

i am continually astounded by our fanbase's commitment to skewing the view of a situation just to hate on a random player for no reason.

1st off, IF anybody is purposely targeting Cary more, its got as much to do with them NOT wanting to throw it at Webb as it does with Cary's potential weakness in coverage.

2nd, the only person who has really blatantly picked on Cary is Tom Brady, as evidenced by his 10 tackles in that game. Other than that, opposing QBs have been pretty equal opportunity about which side of the field they throw to, ESPECIALLY since Webb went down and especially since we have no pass rush.

Oppose the opinion if you want to, but AT LEAST have a valid point before you speak. its way to easy to look up stats and game tape in 2012 for so many people to be out here spewing non sense on these boards.

Ravens fans do have perspective! Cary Williams has some fluke interceptions that don't show good coverage. Anyone comparing those lousy picks to Ed Reed's picks has no clue of what football is about; Reed is a Free Safety-- the position is called "free safety" for a reason. One-on-one coverage is seldom Reed's responsibility while it is almost always Cary Williams' job description. Good corners usually pick off some semi accurate passes and accurate passes, bad corners pick off bone-headed head-scratchers and wounded ducks only. Cary does the latter.

And i agree ,you cant even compare Ed Reed to Cary Williams lollet alone say there names in the same sentence ,Ed Reed watches extensive film Knows the Plays other teams are running by design formations ,he knows where to be and watches the QB's eyes and does not play 15 yards off the ball ,if anyone thinks comparing a Veteran leader future HOF to some guy that looks Clueless every time at corner then back to football basics with you.

Cary Williams is one of the few players who I would not vote to the Pro Bowl in spite of him leading the AFC in interceptions.

[quote name='roamingcharges' timestamp='1352398951' post='1213328']
Good corners usually pick off some semi accurate passes and accurate passes, bad corners pick off bone-headed head-scratchers and wounded ducks only. Cary does the latter.
[/quote]

If you throw a ball and the other team ends up catching it, that pass is by definition, INaccurate...so this makes zero sense.

AFTER Ray Lewis, Ed Reed is the best player in ravens.. that's all im going to say, they're legends, you cant even compare them to some bad, or good players, they're HOF people! my god seems like we are only few true ravens left, heck! comparing [profanity deleted]ty williams with ED REED? i mean REALLY?... Ravens = Ray lewis, Ed reed, T.Suggs, Ngata, in D, Offense, yanda, birk, flacco, rice, boldin, and alittle of torrey! THATS ALL...

[quote name='DarkKnight52' timestamp='1352399751' post='1213340']
And i agree ,you cant even compare Ed Reed to Cary Williams lollet alone say there names in the same sentence ,Ed Reed watches extensive film Knows the Plays other teams are running by design formations ,he knows where to be and watches the QB's eyes and does not play 15 yards off the ball ,if anyone thinks comparing a Veteran leader future HOF to some guy that looks Clueless every time at corner then back to football basics with you.
[/quote]

Unless a blitz is called or theyre in the redzone, or we are VERY short on corners: Ed Reed as a Safety, again by definition, is almost always at least 15 yards away from the ball.
THINK before you type people.

And Ed Reed is very good, but nobody is perfect, he's been out of place before...remember that Maclin TD? yeah...

riseNconquer81: "If you throw a ball and the other team ends up catching it, that pass is by definition, INaccurate...so this makes zero sense."

You are partially wrong. Accuracy is about intent. If the ball is intended to be in a certain spot, and it is put there, then it is by definition accurate. It was free from error based on the position it was intended to be put.

If a receiver has a ball hit his hands in the precise spot that it was intended by the thrower, the ball can still be intercepted, and it can still be accurate.

no cary you are not worth more. get all the tipped balls you want but ellerbe is worth more now. i still see the same problems from you and its not getting much better. ellerbe is the man to pay right now! cary, say bye to your $15 mil offer next year because it isn't coming back.