46 replies to this topic

#1 Gashman

Gashman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

So we all know Ray Lewis has the ultimate off season regimen and there is no secret that among other things that is probably the main reason he has lasted so many years without any major injury problems.

I noticed Ngata was a bit heavier this year coming into camp as were others including Upshaw.

With the amount of money invested in Ngata and now the second year in a row with these nagging injuries...... you see where I am going with this

...Questions...

How strong were our D lineman getting in the off season?

How high of a priority is bulking up in the off season?

Do we assign a personal trainer to make sure we are getting a return on our investments or do we leave it up to the players to decide if they want to get off the couch in the off season. Just a thought

If anybody could shed some light into this definately do so.

Anyway does anybody think off season conditioning has anything to do with our guys in the trenches on both sides of the ball?

#2 Gashman

Gashman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

And more importantly is there any data to suggest that staying shape if you are a big guy in the off season will minimize injuries?

#3 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,161 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

Weight is often a trial and error thing, Cody was better last year at 330lb and Ngata is better this year back at 350lb. It comes down to each persons natural size and frame, too low and you lose strength, too high and you slow down.

#4 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,965 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:58 AM

Ngata has been a beast this year when healthy, but injuries have hampered him once again. Cody, I'm not really sure about. All the talk in the offseason was how he was a constant presence in the Castle working out and what not, but he has been a big dissappointment on the field. I don't know if it's a mental thing with him or what, but he certainly doesnt look as sloppy as he used to.

Hop on board the Draft Odell Beckham JR Bandwagon! Taking all comers! 

#5 Gashman

Gashman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:53 AM

I was looking at the correlation between lack of strength training vs injuries which may be Ngatas case but maybe its heart and technique with Cody. Kemo has been pancaked enough to fall into the Ngata category probably.

#6 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

So we all know Ray Lewis has the ultimate off season regimen and there is no secret that among other things that is probably the main reason he has lasted so many years without any major injury problems.

I noticed Ngata was a bit heavier this year coming into camp as were others including Upshaw.

With the amount of money invested in Ngata and now the second year in a row with these nagging injuries...... you see where I am going with this

...Questions...

How strong were our D lineman getting in the off season?

How high of a priority is bulking up in the off season?

Do we assign a personal trainer to make sure we are getting a return on our investments or do we leave it up to the players to decide if they want to get off the couch in the off season. Just a thought

If anybody could shed some light into this definately do so.

Anyway does anybody think off season conditioning has anything to do with our guys in the trenches on both sides of the ball?

I have thought about this same issue and all i can come up with is whether the players want to or not keep in shape they are paid very well to perform at their highest level. A lot of the players looked out of shape and some still do 8 weeks into the season.

It is the Coach's job job to make sure the players are in shape and ready for their safety and for the team so they can perform. Harb's seems very lax about a lot of things this season and by the looks of Cody this very topic is his issue. The guy is overweight, weak and getting pushed all over the field.

Coach needs to either put a foot down and start penalizing all players who are out of shape and not pick and choose like he did with Mckinnie but not with Cody.

So far i have to say that Harbs is being very lax with the players, will not come down on the coordinators when they need it and they do need it. Seems like he is settling and is happy with the current situation or he would make some changes. If Cam keeps the ball out of Rices hands then Cam needs to be corrected. If Pees insists on having the corners play off of the receivers and not playing press then he needs to be corrected. When you keep Oher at LT and Mckinnie sits on the bench you need to get Mckinnie back on the field and at LT and move oher over to say the Browns team LOL to RT.

He needs to be firm and do whats best and not be afraid to hurt feelings and if the players dont want to be in shape they lose money, hit them where it hurts.
This spot reserved for Super Bowl celebratory images !!

#7 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,132 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

I have thought about this same issue and all i can come up with is whether the players want to or not keep in shape they are paid very well to perform at their highest level. A lot of the players looked out of shape and some still do 8 weeks into the season.

It is the Coach's job job to make sure the players are in shape and ready for their safety and for the team so they can perform. Harb's seems very lax about a lot of things this season and by the looks of Cody this very topic is his issue. The guy is overweight, weak and getting pushed all over the field.

Coach needs to either put a foot down and start penalizing all players who are out of shape and not pick and choose like he did with Mckinnie but not with Cody.

So far i have to say that Harbs is being very lax with the players, will not come down on the coordinators when they need it and they do need it. Seems like he is settling and is happy with the current situation or he would make some changes. If Cam keeps the ball out of Rices hands then Cam needs to be corrected. If Pees insists on having the corners play off of the receivers and not playing press then he needs to be corrected. When you keep Oher at LT and Mckinnie sits on the bench you need to get Mckinnie back on the field and at LT and move oher over to say the Browns team LOL to RT.

He needs to be firm and do whats best and not be afraid to hurt feelings and if the players dont want to be in shape they lose money, hit them where it hurts.

Why did you make this a Harbaugh thread?! This is not about the coaches, or the oline, or Pees, or anything else but the conditioning of the players! For Pete's sake! And no!!! Harbs is not responsible for players being in shape. That's the strength and conditioning coach's job! That's why he's called the strength and conditioning coach!

Tell me who looks out of shape. Can you name them?

#8 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

The best example is Cody. The guy has zero strength, always ends up on his back and his over-all body shape. Please tell me he is in shape right ?

#9 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,132 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

The best example is Cody. The guy has zero strength, always ends up on his back and his over-all body shape. Please tell me he is in shape right ?

Definitely not. Have you ever heard the phrase "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink"? I think that applies here. Everyone knows Cody is out of shape; you might as well not have even mentioned him.

Any other brilliant examples?

#10 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

I should have also added Torrey as well. When the guy gets pressed he can not get off of the corner and get down field with any seperation. He needs to maybe follow Boldins routine and get stronger.

#11 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,132 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

I should have also added Torrey as well. When the guy gets pressed he can not get off of the corner and get down field with any seperation. He needs to maybe follow Boldins routine and get stronger.

This happens to nearly half the receivers in the league or more. A lack of strength doesn't necessarily indicate being out of shape, at least at the wide receiver position. Also, an inability to get off a jam can be attributed to bad technique as well.

#12 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,965 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

Being able to get off of press coverage has everything to do with technique. He is actually very strong and athletic.

#13 nk02442

nk02442

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

Definitely not. Have you ever heard the phrase "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink"? I think that applies here. Everyone knows Cody is out of shape; you might as well not have even mentioned him.

Any other brilliant examples?

What is your proffesion if I might ask? Do you even have a job?

#14 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,132 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

What is your proffesion if I might ask? Do you even have a job?

Freshman in college. Since you insulted my intelligence, I guess it's worth mentioning that I have a 3.3 GPA while in the honor's program.

Anyhow, I get your point about bosses, leadership and whatnot. I understand that. But in the off-season, how exactly can Harbaugh manage what kind of shape his players come in? Also, what can he do to punish them for not being in shape? Fine them? How do you know what happens behind closed doors?

Considering the vast majority came into the season in shape, I see no reason to blame any coach for the conditioning problems.

What players, other than Cody, are out of shape?

Edited by The Raven, 08 November 2012 - 03:04 PM.

#15 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,965 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

Let's get back to the issue at hand. Is it the HC's responsibility to make sure his players are in good shape. The short answer is yes, but in reality the responsibility is delegated to the Strength and Conditioning Coach. Now what can Harbaugh do if the players are not in good shape? 1) fine the players 2) bench the players 3) fire the S & C coach. 4) yell at the players in his office.

Addressing the first option, we have seen this done to both McKinnie and Upshaw. I dont know if Cody is being fined or not and frankly he actually looks to me in better shape than he did when he entered the league. That certainly hasnt shown up on the field but there are other factors that come into play when a player is being pushed around other than fitness.

The second option IMO is the one to pay attention to here. Last season Cody was our starting NT. This season he is not only not starting but seeing less than 50% of the NT snaps. He got beat out by an old veteran who isnt even 100% healthy. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that Harbaugh is in fact addressing the issues with Cody by decreasing his playing time.

The third and fourth options I cant really speak to because it seems that the majority of our players are in fact in good playing shape and frankly we dont know what goes on behind the scenes. What we do know is players have been fined for being overweight and been benched or had their roles reduced as well (McKinnie being benched and Cody losing starting role as previously mentioned) What other players look like they are out of shape?

Edited by Moderator 3, 08 November 2012 - 06:18 PM.
Quote of removed post deleted

#16 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,064 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

It's Harbaugh's job to make sure players are in shape? I've heard it all...

It's not even on the strength/conditioning guys, either. Sure, they can help (and they do), but It's on the players. What are they paid millions of dollars to do?
Posted Image

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#17 NFLGirl

NFLGirl

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

It's Harbaugh's job to make sure players are in shape? I've heard it all...

It's not even on the strength/conditioning guys, either. Sure, they can help (and they do), but It's on the players. What are they paid millions of dollars to do?

I have to agree. These players are paid to play and if it requires they stay in shape to do so than they need to do so. If they become unable to do their job because of their own neglect than they will be replaced. Pretty sure these guys have all the resources necessary. Harbaugh is a coach, not a personal trainer.

#18 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,966 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

Weight is often a trial and error thing, Cody was better last year at 330lb and Ngata is better this year back at 350lb. It comes down to each persons natural size and frame, too low and you lose strength, too high and you slow down.

Ngata isn't better at all..

#19 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,965 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

He was playing exceptionally well until he got hurt. His durability is an issue, not his weight.

#20 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,161 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

He is better, he wasn't as strong last year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users