Ravens at Texans      Roster      Game Rewind   

Photo

[News] The Caw: Torrey Smith's Voting Dilemma

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 BR News

BR News

Hall of Famer

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,046 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

A bunch of Ravens are heading out to the polls to vote, and encourage others to do the same.

View the full article

#2 Dwayne10000Watts

Dwayne10000Watts

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

If your vote didn't count, there wouldn't be so many movements nowadays attempting to suppress it. VOTE!!! :)

#3 Peej

Peej

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

Regardless of which side of the spectrum, the above quotes told me these players were giving serious consideration and are doing so in a civil way! Good job Ravens players.

#4 Grapple Raven

Grapple Raven

MVP

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

*Please be reminded that this article is pointing out that our Ravens are exercising their civic duty with the right to vote, and are encouraging others to exercise that right as well, irrespective of your political persuasion.

Thanks for being good role models for our community and country, while reminding us that exercising our right to vote is a uniquely personal decision that we all take seriously!

23jjplx.jpg

#5 C.Gooche

C.Gooche

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

Wow...never thought about the election from a player's point of view. Such a conundrum...

I'm glad we just don't have the typical "dumb" athletes representing our team.

"Without thought we are nothing!"

#6 MissRay27

MissRay27

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

Let your vote speak your conscious.

#7 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

Torrey just wrote this regarding THIS article: "That article made it seem like I was a fan of Romney if you read it a certain way....I'm not...I'm all for OBAMA"

#8 EpicRavenTime

EpicRavenTime

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

Very well put Torrey!

#9 CapoRocky

CapoRocky

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

I think that it's great that there was a fantastic turnout at the polls today! We can't make a difference if we are voting couch potatoes.

Super Bowl Champions 01/28/01 and 02/03/13!

#10 BillicksEGO

BillicksEGO

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

One word says it all....Bengazi

#11 Corvus

Corvus

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

How is it you guys can post ANYTHING relating to politics and then delete my post talking about how I personally don't vote in presidential elections due to the electoral college, but encourage voting for represenatives and senators not only due to the greater power they wield, but because they are elected via direct election? I didn't say who was right or wrong or give any political views other than what I just mentioned, go figure...gotta love freedom of completely civil speech huh? Oh wait...

#12 bmore_kman

bmore_kman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

How is it you guys can post ANYTHING relating to politics and then delete my post talking about how I personally don't vote in presidential elections due to the electoral college, but encourage voting for represenatives and senators not only due to the greater power they wield, but because they are elected via direct election? I didn't say who was right or wrong or give any political views other than what I just mentioned, go figure...gotta love freedom of completely civil speech huh? Oh wait...

Well, I missed your deleted post, so my question is, was it related in any way to the team or its players, the way this article reflected on the thoughts of some of the team's players? If not, then it was out of place and self-serving.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

#13 Moderator 2

Moderator 2

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,332 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

Discussing the electoral college has nothing to do with the Ravens or their players or the message to go out and vote .
68f2a8.jpg

#14 Grapple Raven

Grapple Raven

MVP

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

You are correct in that this is a football forum, not a political one. This article was just stating that our Ravens were exercising their right to vote as is their civic duty, and encourging us to do our duty as well. How one votes is not up to political discourse. Who one chooses to vote for is a personal and private decison.

23jjplx.jpg

#15 HardKnocks

HardKnocks

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

@Grapple Raven

So in other words the article should have read: The Ravens go out to vote. With no blog box.
Should his vote reflect his current [friends] or his former ones? Yeah I'm being a bit controversial now.

#16 bpytnjr58

bpytnjr58

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

Please no more politics....Glad today will be over soon....I have been on political overload for 18 months.

#17 Corvus

Corvus

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

Why even bring the politics of voting in general if this is a sports related site? People are already encouraged to vote everywhere else we turn, was it neccessary to do it again in the guise of Ravens players voting? The website's staff invited discussion the minute they posted this blog...Whatever, enough of this and I'll get back to talking about our team on our team's website.

Edited by Corvus, 06 November 2012 - 05:01 PM.

#18 Grapple Raven

Grapple Raven

MVP

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

@ Hardknocks

Political discussions can and rightfully so, be very controversial as some people are as passionate about politics as they are about football. As moderators, we have to do the best we can to keep the boards as friendly as possible by keeping the discussion on topic. No one has any intention of squashing anyone's right to free speech, just trying to keep the article in the confines to which it was written. Hope you understand.

Sincerely Grapple

23jjplx.jpg

#19 Rhaeiven

Rhaeiven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

It's kinda funny, I'm just a highschooler and I just finished studying the U.S. government and more specifically, the election process. The whole political realm intrigues me. I believe that your vote is very important from your mayor to your representatives and senators, your governor, and yes even your presidential vote matters. Every president starts somewhere, your mayor could work his way up to representative or senator, and possibly become the President of the U.S. I also believe that your vote is a private and an esspecially personal matter, and that it's often wise to keep it as that, private. You don't have to answer when someone asks who you voted for because we as a people tend to judge one-another because of who we vote for, just look at facebook right now. I just suggest wise judgement on who, when and where you discuss political matters. I like to see various points of view of how the vote affects different people. I've heard from Republican friends and Democratic friends but this point of view is the most intriguing I've seen yet; a football player's. Not just any football player, but my favorite football player, Torrey Smith. I see how the vote affects the upper, middle, and lower classes, but this is a mix between the classes. I really appreciate how Torrey took the time to really think about how the HIS vote would affect different areas of his life. Torrey didn't just vote Republican because he's a Republican or vice-versa. He didn't just vote Democrat because President Obama is African-American. He really sat down a looked at all the dynamics. So I just encourage those who haven't voted to really take a moment to pray and think about how YOUR vote affects you and those around you. Oh yeah, and PLEASE respect the moderators. We may not like what they do sometimes, but they're Americans who are told to do their job a certain way just like the rest of us. God Bless America Tonight.

Rise and Conquer!!! :baltimore-ravens: :iwojima:

Edited by Rhaeiven, 06 November 2012 - 09:12 PM.

Message to Picksburgh; "The Squeelers have all the right colors, They're just missing a touch of royalty. It only takes a touch of purple to convert a Squeelers fan to a RAVENS fan!"

#20 HardKnocks

HardKnocks

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

@Grapple Raven

Cool, I understand and I'm glad you addressed it.

Thank you,
HardKnocks
'RavensForever'