Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Late For Work 11/5: Can Ravens Be Trusted?

115 posts in this topic

Bengals playoff hopes dashed, Steelers hitting stride, McFadden injury, Yanda's knee fine.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Late-For-Work-115-Can-Ravens-Be-Trusted/96de7e71-0f6c-4bc0-be22-307d29c39452]View the full article[/url]

There are no certainties in life except for death and taxes. And there are no certainties in the NFL. Any team can beat any other team. That's why they bother to actually play the games.

That said, do the past two performances make me confident the Ravens can beat the big teams they have up ahead? Not quite yet, but at least they're going in the right direction.

Yanda had to get re-taped because dirty ol' Phil Taylor picked held leg up over his head... right in front of a ref, too, yet there was no call.

If I wait for any sports writers to give the ravens any credit for anything i will be dead and buried for a hundred or so years. I don't understand why when the steelers play like crap its a bad game when its the ravens our team is not superbowl caliber. we are getting better every week and we will make the playoffs and we will win a superbowl and when we do all the sports writers can find something else to do to make there writing relevant like perhaps eating there own words. we are 6-2 we are first in the division that wasn't handed to us on a platter we won it .

Mmmm....so many questions, no clear answers. If the Ravens can play consistently like they are capable of, they will hold the Lombardi, but....why they don't appears to be able to do so is the colossal white elephant in the room!

Obviously defenses are able to adjust faster than our offensive play calling....hummm, wonder what's wrong there?

GO RAVENS!

[quote name='berad' timestamp='1352127504' post='1211137']
Yanda had to get re-taped because dirty ol' Phil Taylor picked held leg up over his head... right in front of a ref, too, yet there was no call.
[/quote]

YES!! and that happened a lot! But they called our bench (?) for unsportsman like conduct? The officials were all over the Ravens, I think it was because of the dirty play claims coming from the Browns before and they were instructed to "eyeball" the Ravens.

After the Houston game we know, that Flacco can't carry this team alone and after the game in Cleveland we learned the same thing about Rice. Both play great, when they can feed off each other, but for that our coaches would need to know when to use one over the other.

I was so busy screaming at the Ravens to get the offense going in the second half I almost missed the defense putting on a run-stopping clinic.

Not trying to be all negative and pessimist, but we have to conclude that if we play like we've playing lately against the steelers playing like they've been playing lately it's not gonna look good for us.

Conclusion: there's no other option but to somehow find our earlier form, even without Webb and Lewis. No other chance.

bio

when all is said and done, the Ravens will have number one seed in the afc and then we won't have to worry about playing away from M&T until the big dance in new orleans...!!!!!

The big picture is that everybody is 0-0 in January. How a team gets there has little relevance. The giants have won two superbowls after barely entering the playoffs the packers went 15-1 and lost in the first round. Bottom line is the Ravens are a team with pride and players who have a tight bond. We can criticize whoever we want right now but if win the superbowl, honestly who is going to lose their job.

I'm not sure I would ever be so desperate as fighting over a hot tub with Ngata - that's not bravery, that's suicide :D

bio

Winning is quite important and this is a winning franchise clearly, but its very irritating when my family, sitting in the basement watching this game, can call what play is going to happen before it actually happens. Its nice we hung a decent win on the road but barring the penalties, the way the Ravens were playing means they could've and should've won that game by halftime.

Everyone can be trusted except Cam and Pees! I guess us fans are stupid and don't know anything about this game!

So i think Cam needs a suggestion box!

Cam your O scored 14 pts quick, O learned quickly that they can't stop the run with only 7 and you ran it down there throat two drives for TD's. Great job!
Then the Clowns figured out hey guys let's put 8 in the box to stop the run and what happen? It took you 6 straight 3 and outs to change what your doing. The first time we went 3 and out, go look a the pictures and could easily see 8 in the box. Hmmmm maybe put Jones, thompson, boldin and smith in the slot spread the field out and run in shot gun, you think they would still have 8 in the box.
Maybe run a playaction screen, a tight end or full back backside screen, well any screen for that matter.
8 in the box means 1 safety Cam so double moves will be very effective.
How about a few easy read route combos for your Joe, like a curl flat or tight end go boldin slant underneath!

No several times I seen 3 streaks and a comeback and you wonder why Joe still has the ball.

Your a professional smh, it's been 5 Years and you still don't have your crap together!
You should have at least 3 or 4 game plans to attack a defense! Your problem is you have one game plan and once the defense figures you out you spend 3qrt sticking with your one game plan.

Ravens need a new offense, which means a new OC!! My 14 year old daughter was actually predicting many of the offensive plays before the snaps....SMH

[quote name='ravenwildman' timestamp='1352127991' post='1211143']
YES!! and that happened a lot! But they called our bench (?) for unsportsman like conduct? The officials were all over the Ravens, I think it was because of the dirty play claims coming from the Browns before and they were instructed to "eyeball" the Ravens.
[/quote]

Good point, I know the Ravens were very heated after the Yanda/Taylor incident so maybe they said something 'unkind' that got the refs to start favoring the Browns. I saw a lot of late/cheap stuff.

Yesterday was the quintessential Ravens win after a devastating loss! Plenty of Ray Rice runs and short passes! This should be the rule rather than the exception, but alas,.......

That period of inconsistency almost led to the "panic" mode we've seen before! Thank goodness the Browns were only scoring FGs!

A big Attaboy to Corey Graham for playing a fantastic game yesterday! Will he eventually replace Cary at the starting CB position - one only wonders!

Can't leave without giving Cam a "Duh" for 25 carries by #27 leading to 98 yards and a win! Cam will go back to his same ole pass happy "cuteness" now that he thinks we're quieted about his game philosophy!

Why does this Offense go 2 Quarters without any production. Is it lack of play calling and putting players in position to succeed???? Or lack of Execution on the Players part?
It just isn%u2019t good enough for our team to be in a coma for 2 quarters then wake up and try to eek out a win.
WHY NO CROSSING ROUTES WITH BOLDIN ?????? and for the love of GOD Stop calling that fake End around. It works once a games not the 4 times Cams calls it.

[quote name='The Voice' timestamp='1352129289' post='1211166']
Everyone can be trusted except Cam and Pees! I guess us fans are stupid and don't know anything about this game!

So i think Cam needs a suggestion box!

Cam your O scored 14 pts quick, O learned quickly that they can't stop the run with only 7 and you ran it down there throat two drives for TD's. Great job!
Then the Clowns figured out hey guys let's put 8 in the box to stop the run and what happen? It took you 6 straight 3 and outs to change what your doing. The first time we went 3 and out, go look a the f$!?$&! Pictures and could easily see 8 in the box. Hmmmm maybe put Jones, thompson, boldin and smith in the slot spread the field out and run in shot gun, you think they would still have 8 in the box.
Maybe run a playaction screen, a tight end or full back backside screen, well any screen for that matter.
8 in the box means 1 safety Cam so double moves will be very effective.
How about a few easy read route combos for your Joe, like a curl flat or tight end go boldin slant underneath!

No several times I seen 3 streaks and a comeback and you wonder why Joe still has the ball.

Your a professional smh, it's been 5 Years and you still don't have your crap together!
You should have at least 3 or 4 game plans to attack a defense! Your problem is you have one game plan and once the defense figures you out you spend 3qrt sticking with your one game plan.
[/quote]

Very well spoken

I remember back in our Super Bowl year how in the beginning and middle of the season we were getting dogged out for not being able to score. The offense sat on Stovers shoulders and the D was stingy. Everyone doubted us then. We are better in Offense and Special teams from that unit, of course we know our D is no where close to that years. The point is flawed teams can win the championship. We have done it, The Giants last year were flawed moreso then us. I am happy we fixed a lot of things we did poorly in weeks past. We tackled better. We flowed to the ball faster. We got some turnovers. We ran the ball. We still have work to do and the team knows this. Just be happy they were humble enough to self assess themselves and react positively on the field. Cleavlands D is really good, just ask the Chargers.

[quote name='Deejei' timestamp='1352128624' post='1211154']
when all is said and done, the Ravens will have number one seed in the afc and then we won't have to worry about playing away from M&T until the big dance in new orleans...!!!!!
[/quote]

Well, the following things should probably happen for that:

- we should at least tie the two games with the steelers;

- we should beat at least two of the Chargers/Broncos/Giants/Bengals quartet - plus the afore mentioned win(s) over the steelers - plus, of course all our remaining compulsory wins (Oakland, Washington)

- The Texans should find at least two or three losses somehow - which is a tough job, though not impossible.

Also, the fact that the steelers have a much easier remaining schedule ( they play only one above 0.500 team: us. Then they'll host the Chargers and go to Dallas, all their remaining matches are ridiculous (the Chiefs, the Browns twice and the Bengals in Pittsburgh - a combined stat of 8-26. Their overall opponent-strength for the remaining season is 27-39.) It's very hard to see them los more than 1 or maybe 2 more games, which means they're bound to finish 12-4 or 11-5 the worst. To go 12-4 we still have to win 6 games which may not sound like a gigantic job for a Ravens-caliber team but seems to be a very tall order for a team that shows the form we've been showing lately.

I still say we have little chance to stay atop the division if we don't improve - and radically and fast. Even if we beat the Radiers - the easiest game on our schedule this season - we can find ourselves 7-5 in 3 weeks with the kind of form we've been showing, with the steelers having the tie breaker over us.

So, right now our future isn't looking half as bright as our 6-2 standing might suggest. Right now we're looking like a race car that's on the lead, but has a stuck gear box that can only go in first, while the car coming behind is coming full speed.

bio

The defense played really well especially considering the consecutive 3 and outs by the offense. If the Ravens had maintained just a couple of those drives, the Ravens probably only give up 3 FGs at the most. Good performance and much improved. Ellerbe stood out.

get rid of cam...he is the most hated man (besides the [profanity deleted]) in this town! i trust my birds, but NOT him! 6 str8 3&out and u finally realize cleveland adjusted?! WAKE UP DUDE! almost 5 years and u still have the ihop playbook! u must really enjoy seeing an offense with so much talent look like total crap...and seeing the Dfense with all the injuries take on so much pressure

[quote name='ravenwildman' timestamp='1352127746' post='1211140']
Mmmm....so many questions, no clear answers. If the Ravens can play consistently like they are capable of, they will hold the Lombardi, but....why they don't appears to be able to do so is the colossal white elephant in the room!

Obviously defenses are able to adjust faster than our offensive play calling....hummm, wonder what's wrong there?

GO RAVENS!
[/quote]IMHO I think it's the Cam-Flacco play-calling combo. If i'm correct, Joe hasn't been audibling until recently. It's new territory for them. Although, I know Cam would still get criticized if it were just him play-calling, I do believe we'd have seen better results. We're fine. It's the stretch, now. And, our 1st 2 qtrs or 1st half of the season has been survived. It only gets better from here. Go Ravens!!! :)

I liked the game and going back to the last 9 times we played Cleveland I don't recall a lot if any blowouts, so this game is kind of what I expected, minus the 30 min w/out a first down. The Pittsburgh games coming up will decide the AFC North and the Ravens post season fate. I hope they have been holding back a couple cans of whoopbutt for those Squeelers...

All around need to play a better game. That was just atrocious yesterday..Penalties, lack of intensity and focus on both sides of the ball. I thought we should have made a trade before the deadline to add someone to the defensive line...everyone except Haloti is getting manhandled at the point of attack. Not sure who we add, but at this point the guys we have aren't playing like Ravens.

I honestly think that the Browns defense is a titally different animal with Phil Taylor, Joe Haden and Frosty Rucker healthy, and Jabal Sheard is going to be a NASTY player for many years! Yes, the offense played poorly for a long stretch..but they put it together when it counted.

I look for the Bears to handle the Texans and we handle the Raiders. At that point, we're back to the same record ( not counting tie breakers). If the Ravens can somehow sure up the defense, we will be fine. I was inspired by the RZD, but then again... the Brown have had problems scoring all year.

We may have dodged another bullet, DMC has a high ankle sprain and likely wont play thise week. Granted, it seems like second string backs run on us too!