Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Ravens Call Win A ‘Turning Point’

40 posts in this topic

After a long bye, the Ravens got mental relief with a win over the Browns.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ravens-Call-Win-A-‘Turning-Point’/3b36be25-f667-44f9-9382-70a065a6f207]View the full article[/url]

I respect what they believe, and they know football more than me, but I just don't understand how this game can be a turning point game. They played an opponent that hasn't beaten them in the past seven attempts is it? and that has only won two games at that. Their offense played terribly for almost two quarters, and they didn't have a first down in almost 30 straight minutes. How is this a turning point? Beating the Patriots was a turning point. It was against an opponent that actually wins football games.

Turning point??? What turning point? I don't see any turning point. By definition a turning point is where you have lost 6 straigt etc and then win one. I've said this before and I'll say it again. When Harbaugh speaks you know less than before he said anything. I hope this isn't the confusion on the field too. And that game was confusing today. Two straight drives for td's then no 1st downs for 7 more tries. But no turning point was to be found anywhere on that field today.

Offensive problems are on Cam Cameron he sucks; Dean Pees is no better .. NO way we beat Ben, & the Manning Brothers with the way our deefense is playing.

I am not liking what i see! The offensive line has serious problems!!!! Other belongs on the right side and Mckinnie on the left then yanda, williams birk in the middle, then power Rice right down their throat!Defense is over shifting and subject to the cut back...need to hold the corners.......jimmy smith appears to be having a hard time in the big league...needs to build his confidence! Love the Ravens but I am scared!

Defeating a last place team is a turning point. I'm glad head coach taught me that. Now I'm mentally prepared for the Ravens to go here on out, undefeated. A point in turn coach; how do we stop Redman, Bradshaw, and both Peyton, and Eli. Having a heap of faith?

Hopefully it has become clear, at least as far as the Ravens are concerned, that in most games the offense should be careful and not become too pass heavy. Harbs brother Jim was a pro QB so Harbs no doubt appreciates watching QBs do their thing. We also know that Cam does too.

Ridiculous... i love coach harghbaugh, but you need to at least be more rude on what you are saying and what you are goin to do...

Maybe he was referring to the defense as having a turning point. Maybe not. Its hard to tell exactly what he means. Maybe its an inside joke between him and the players!?!

[quote name='CxM_27' timestamp='1352081387' post='1210753']
Offensive problems are on Cam Cameron he sucks; Dean Pees is no better .. NO way we beat Ben, & the Manning Brothers with the way our deefense is playing.
[/quote]

No disrespect but Dean Pees is actually getting it together. It's just taking him some time because there's so much change that the Ravens have had to adjust to. I'm a pessimistic person and you'll see me whining a lot but if there's a glimmer of hope in our coaching squad it's Dean Pees...he straight up tells it like it is saying things like "I'm disgusted with this defense"he doesn't put sparkly flowers around it like Cam or Harbaugh, and now the defense is getting it together on the road. Say what you will about Cam, I can't stop anyone from doing that lol I don't even know that much about offense.

People need to calm down yes we should beat Cleveland but we're not entitled to it. We were in a scrap and we came out with a W. Yes there were plenty of things (on both sides of the ball) that make you grind your teeth and make your blood pressure raise, but the fact is we got a W. Looking at our record it doesn't matter if we beat Cleveland by 50 or by 5... It's a W. The same way it doesn't matter that we lost to Philly by 1... it's a L. I guess the most important thing is that we are finding out what our flaws are while we're still able to win and we're lucky for that.

[quote name='Ravenade' timestamp='1352090776' post='1210960']

No disrespect but Dean Pees is actually getting it together. It's just taking him some time because there's so much change that the Ravens have had to adjust to. I'm a pessimistic person and you'll see me whining a lot but if there's a glimmer of hope in our coaching squad it's Dean Pees...he straight up tells it like it is saying things like "I'm disgusted with this defense"he doesn't put sparkly flowers around it like Cam or Harbaugh, and now the defense is getting it together on the road. Say what you will about Cam, I can't stop anyone from doing that lol I don't even know that much about offense.
[/quote]Pees is brutal Im sure he would be happy to know he has one fan.If he is the ravens glimmer of hope we are in for a long season of no pressure and horrible play calling.

[quote name='ravne05' timestamp='1352092456' post='1210976']
Pees is brutal Im sure he would be happy to know he has one fan.If he is the ravens glimmer of hope we are in for a long season of no pressure and horrible play calling.
[/quote]

I'm telling you dude, our defensive guys always bring it together sooner or later. Our offensive guys just get fired.

It's a reoccurring theme: we open up strong, even putting at least a field goal on the board. Then each and every drive from there on out fizzles, and gets worse as the game progresses. Once the Ravens notice the game is close to being lost we some how find a way to win (in most cases - in Philly we couldn't stop the offense; and we all know the beating we took in Houston). But, these last two games happened the same way. We had a strong presence in the first quarter of the game, then we just lost control and looked confused.

This isn't a sign of a "great team". Sure, finding a way to win is surely a component of a great team but there is so much more to a great team than this. This year, I just don't know if we are one or not...right now, with they way we've played, I have to say we're a mediocre team.

Sure, our receivers have not done the best job of catching the ball, but so many plays just looked ridiculous and overshadow their performance. I firmly believe the coaching is is the [i]primary [/i]cause of our current troubles.

as long as we get turnovers and the offense does what it needs to do we'll win. if we repeat our success and go 12-4. I'm happy with that :P steelers will get one lose one more time against us at home. so there going 12-4 atg the best.

i hope nobody is happy with the way this team is playing 6-2 ok thats fine but we wont be winning against anybody good like this, pees and cameron need to go

The Ravens call this the "Turning Point" and I agree 100%! To have a gripe is pointless because its too early in the season and they are still making adjustments in the process and Winning at the same time! "What more can you ask for"?

[quote name='Purple Dawg 96' timestamp='1352117003' post='1211061']
"What more can you ask for"?[/quote]

Well, maybe a team that plays up its potential? Right now I can see a Ravens that has a playoff- and potentially SB-caliber roster but plays like a middle-of-the-pack team. The Ravens we can see right now is like a Ferrari that is struggling to stay near the leader in an oldtimer race.

What more can we ask for? Maybe a Ravens that doesn't need luck to win the games against weaker opponents. If luck doesn't help us out in KC where Cassell botched that unbotchable QB-sneak for 6 and then the next week luck doesn't blow that last second Cowboys-FG for the win just wide, we'd probably be 4-4 instead of 6-2 right now.

I respect your opinion, but I do think we can ask for more than a Ravens that is above 0.500 because of luck.

bio

[quote name='teamrave222' timestamp='1352109634' post='1211041']
i hope nobody is happy with the way this team is playing 6-2 ok thats fine but we wont be winning against anybody good like this, pees and cameron need to go
[/quote]

I agree with the first half of what you say. However, I do thing Pees has done a good job adjusting the D somewhat. It's still nowhere near the legendary Ravens-D, but I do think they were considerably more effective yesterday than the weeks before. We don't know how god this D would be with Lewis, Webb and the guys who left in the off season (mainly JJ and Redding). We haven't yet seen Pees's D at full strength, it always had notable absentees - first Suggs and then Lewis and Webb.

I'm not saying our D couldn't be better, I just say I'm not at all sure it's down to the DC.

bio

Ill take the W like the rest of us...and yes "A Win is a Win"!! But come on people. Yes we are 6-2 but honestly right now that doesnt mean anything if we dont improve our quality of play. The Steelers are getting better. They look way better than just a few weeks ago. The Pats look way better than a few weeks ago. The Broncos are looking stron.The Texans are rolling, etc but we still look flat. How do we continually start strong, flutter and then hang on to win? We are the Ravens for goodness sake. At some point that way of playing has to be unnacceptable. I have to again put that on coaching. I just dont see how any team can accept mediocrity as a way to win. No matter how you spin it we have to start playing better. Our offense looks as if they are going backwards and this is NOT the time for that. People say that its early and we are still adjusting. Its not early anymore. We are past halfway and now the schedule gets really tough. It will not get easier from here. This luck that we have will run out eventually. Im not trying to be negative but it is what it is and has been since week 2. The mentality has to change first and then the play. You can have the best record ever but it means jack squat if you can never win the big game.

A W is better than a L. No issues with that.
But this what we get after an embarrassing loss and a bye week.

Harbaugh can spin it anyway he wants to, but there is trouble in "River City"
But we are 6-2. so it could be alot worse.

Cam Cameron, I hope you read this. PLease oh please stop putting the brakes when we get good quick drives. Those conservative play calling after you feel the offense is good to go doesnt help us. It results in defense on the field a whole lot. WE had bad field to begin our drives.. brown had great field advantage cuz we couldnt move the ball. What happened to rice and leach zone plays?? what happened to creating cutback lanes on our O-line??? Lets really work on that cuz I feel like down the stretch where we play our best football, we need Rice to show the league why he was paid those big bucks. Our receivers are getting the serparation. Just dont drop the ball.. Our D, i feel will come back to life. 5 red zone trips and 5 field goals.. i take that anyday. WE got the engine going. Lets just keep it rolling and booming..

Ball so hard univeristy is in session!!!

The 2012 O's backed into the all-star break with a winning record, but not playing very well. After baseball's half-way point, they came back and played very well down the stretch and made the playoffs. Let's hope the 2012 Ravens follow suit, because now that we're at the half-way point, we need to start playing better.

Ryna, I'm a fan, man, and I love the way you constructed this article! You let the players and coaches' quotes speak for the feeling of coming back after Houston! Yet, I don't know if the title is apt! This was no turning point; a "milestone" perhaps!

When we play as inconsistently as we did, allowing a 2-6 team we have dominated 9 times before to get back from 14 points down and take a brief lead, then come back to win, that's no turning point! That should be a point of concern!

The Defense rose to the occasion, especially newcomer Corey Graham, who has been fighting for more playing time with the defense! Ray Rice, "Q" and Torrey did what they do when given the opportunities and the O-Line played strong!

This was a milestone simply because the respective records indicated that we were supposed to beat the Browns!

When we beat Pittsburgh and the Giants - then, let us talk "Turning Points"!

Enough with the cliches and vague coach speak. The fact is that the Ravens barely beat a very bad browns team with a rookie QB and rookie RB. If this were the Texans again, we would've been destroyed.

Disappearing for 30 minutes at a time is not a "turning point."

I love my Ravens, but this was the Ravens squeaking out a victory over a pathetic Browns team. Not a turning point.