Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gashman

3 and Out

43 posts in this topic

Does anybody have stats on our 3rd Quarter performance this year on Offense? Like how many posessions vs 1st downs and 3 and outs? What about 2nd Quarter?

I believe once our scripted plays are done we lose rhythm and consistency on offense. Either that or we try random plays to see what works without any plan. Then in the 4th Quarter we have some scripted plays to run and more than not we find a way.

I am majorly concerned why we rarely use the middle of the field on passing plays or counter what the opposing defense is showing more effectively. Thoughts?

I really believe our offense has become a live and die with Flacco. He's just to inconsistent for me... He is a good qb but not great or elite. I don't want to give him elite money and cash strap us for years to come. We could use that money to sign a defensive lineman to play next to Ngata. We could still relive the great years of the defense dominating. I am not meaning that we should just throw Taylor in but when our offense hits bad patches again and again why not ruffle his feathers a little and give Taylor a chance with an open playbook and not just the wildcat stuff.

[quote name='arnie_uk' timestamp='1352103661' post='1211025']
Ill say again, we had 21 runs for 51 yards after the 1st qtr, the poor play wasn't his fault.
[/quote]
2.4 yards a carry tough to take. Cam never seems to find that happy medium

[quote name='JoeCool#5' timestamp='1352116590' post='1211060']
[/quote]

It seems the Browns made some adjustments but Cam didn't counter them.

[quote name='funky141' timestamp='1352118682' post='1211070']
[/quote]

Shocked that Cam didn't make any adjustments. Oh wait...

Ill say again, we had 21 runs for 51 yards after the 1st qtr, the poor play wasn't his fault.
[/quote]

The Browns adjusted and he didn't.

[/quote]
I feel like Cam must like banging his head against a wall because he does it all the time. He either continues to pass when it isn't working or continues to run when it isn't working.

I hope everyone realizes that those 6 or 7 straight 3 and outs we had were virtually identical.

1) Run up the middle - stuffed
2) Run up the middle - stuffed
3) Incomplete on 3rd and long
4) Punt

I'm all for establishing the run even if we aren't gashing people. But the Browns were amped up to stop our run in the second half. They were overly agressive at attacking the center of our line. Does Can call a toss play? No. Does Cam call a boot leg? No. Does Cam call a play action fake? No. All of the things a coordinator can do to help a running game he failed to do.

We didnt actually start moving the ball until Dawson kicked a field goal, giving the Browns the lead. I don't know why we had to be pressured to move the ball before we actually did move the ball and get some first downs, but thats what it seemed to take.

Cam has to rediscover that offensive intensity that we were all falling in love with in week 1 against the Bengals. If he can get our offense performing like that, we'll be in great shape.

[quote name='ravensfan160' timestamp='1352136846' post='1211300']
I feel like Cam must like banging his head against a wall because he does it all the time. He either continues to pass when it isn't working or continues to run when it isn't working.

I hope everyone realizes that those 6 or 7 straight 3 and outs we had were virtually identical.

4) Punt
[/quote]

It's the old run-run-pass. Classic Cam Cameron. As I stated in my post above, it wasnt until we lost the lead that he started dialing up some decent plays and we started moving the ball. It was quite frustrating.

[quote name='JoeCool#5' timestamp='1352116590' post='1211060']

[/quote]
[quote name='funky141' timestamp='1352118682' post='1211070']

[/quote]
[quote name='krrock10' timestamp='1352118841' post='1211072']

Shocked that Cam didn't make any adjustments. Oh wait...
[/quote]
[quote name='Blex64' timestamp='1352136140' post='1211288']

The Browns adjusted and he didn't.
[/quote]yep, the browns adjusted after he second drive and cam done nothing, play action roll outs would have worked all day cause they keyed in on rice and stacked the box, sure on the td drive we completed a pa rollout to boldin on third down, that iirc was the first one since the first drive to boldin.

He either runs too much or passes too much, he can never have a happy medium and mix it up. The first drive, first two drives were perfect, good mix of run and pass, all the runs weren't just up the gut, we seen tosses and fake full back pitches, we seen shotgun, we seen play action, we seen rollouts, we seen short passes over the middle.

Then he just threw that play book out and went into his shell. The whole offense is bi polar and it starts with cam.

I've defended Cam in the past, but that streak of 3and outs was almost entirely on him. How about a quick slant to Boldin or Torrey. Use some motions to get WRs in space. The same run up the middle on first down is sooo predictable.

[quote name='Free Agent' timestamp='1352136961' post='1211302']
We didnt actually start moving the ball until Dawson kicked a field goal, giving the Browns the lead. I don't know why we had to be pressured to move the ball before we actually did move the ball and get some first downs, but thats what it seemed to take.

Cam has to rediscover that offensive intensity that we were all falling in love with in week 1 against the Bengals. If he can get our offense performing like that, we'll be in great shape.
[/quote]

That's often what it takes, though. Have you ever noticed that during a game, once a "funk" (as our writers like to call it) hits, we seem to find our second wind, as if desperation is a key motivator for this team. I just don't understand how you have 136 total offensive yards on TWO possessions in the first quarter! Then have, I think, like 6 or something? Just ridiculous. Once we were in a real position to lose, guess what...here comes our offense down the field to score a TD.

[quote name='CorvusCorax' timestamp='1352146711' post='1211488']
I don't always 3 and Out, but I do it's for most of the game.
[/quote]

Boom!

[quote name='Npane171' timestamp='1352146142' post='1211472']
That's often what it takes, though. Have you ever noticed that during a game, once a "funk" (as our writers like to call it) hits, we seem to find our second wind, as if desperation is a key motivator for this team. I just don't understand how you have 136 total offensive yards on TWO possessions in the first quarter! Then have, I think, like 6 or something? Just ridiculous. Once we were in a real position to lose, guess what...here comes our offense down the field to score a TD.
[/quote]

Although I am glad that we were able to put points on the board when we absolutely had to, it shouldn't have to come to that to muster up some offense. It seemed like just because we had the lead, Cam was content with cranking out simple, predictable plays that obviously resulted in nothing but punts on the field.

Again, I'm glad we managed to score when we started feeling the heat, but I wish it wouldn't come to that. We should be playing, and calling plays, to score on every drive, not just the ones where we are feeling the pressure to score.

[quote name='ravensfan160' timestamp='1352136846' post='1211300']

4) Punt

I'm all for establishing the run even if we aren't gashing people. But the Browns were amped up to stop our run in the second half. They were overly agressive at attacking the center of our line. Does Can call a toss play? No. Does Cam call a boot leg? No. Does Cam call a play action fake? No. All of the things a coordinator can do to help a running game he failed to do.
[/quote]
i agree, that proves that CAM is stubborn.

Balance Balance Balance, he either becomes too run heavy, or too pass heavy. I want him gone. Caldwell!!! JK
But seriously, balance it out cam, Joe is a 4000 yard passer this year..... Just do it

Not much else needs to be said. Cam has ruined Flacco's pro bowl hopes and the rest of the league seems to be developing and we're doing the same crap every week.

I still can't get over how open receiver of other teams seem to be and how tiny the windows are that Flacco is throwing the ball into. That throw to Anquan that shifted the game against the Browns in our favor was ridiculously accurate. I don't know, if I am just imagining things, but it seems to me like literally every defense knows, what kind of plays we are calling.
Maybe we should try running more of west coast offense anyway. All those long passes Joe has to make in Cams Air Coryell don't exactly make his job that much easier.

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1352181956' post='1211977']
[b][u]Balance Balance Balance[/u],[/b] he either becomes too run heavy, or too pass heavy. I want him gone. Caldwell!!! JK
But seriously, balance it out cam, Joe is a 4000 yard passer this year..... Just do it
[/quote]

agreed! the offensive play calling needs to be more balanced, creative and unpredictable! perhaps, because Cam calls the same ole' thing over and over, our players are getting frustrated themselves and dislike running the same stuff over and over and therefore they don't..dare i say it..."execute" the plays as they should. who knows? while i am an advocate for running the rock with Rice, Pierce and Leach; that doesn't mean that i feel that we shouldn't pass the ball as well to Torrey, Q, Jacoby or Pitta. whatever allows us to move the chains we need to do it! Cam's problem is that he runs a play to death and into the ground EVEN when the defense keys in on it. he's to bullheaded to make the necessary adjustments to take advantage of the defense. yes! run the ball when you can but that run should be setting up something else (i.e. PA's, screens, quick slants and the occasional deep shots down the field etc.) to throw at the defense when they ARE NOT expecting it. case and points...the play calling was a great mix during those first two possessions that led to 2 touchdowns vs the browns.

~Mili

[quote name='Dfence4champs2052' timestamp='1352187172' post='1212000']
Not much else needs to be said. Cam has ruined Flacco's pro bowl hopes and the rest of the league seems to be developing and we're doing the same crap every week.
[/quote] That is why he is at the top of Conservative playcallers.

[quote name='Ravens<3' timestamp='1352183567' post='1211982']
I wish Joe just called the plays. I hope the no huddles in full affect Sunday.
[/quote]

I think the problem with Joe calling the plays would be that Joe is a QB and QBs want to throw the ball. Just like if Rice were to call he would usually call runs. We need someone (an OC) that is not vested in any sort of offensive play so will run the best and most creative play that a sitaution calls for.

To all those calling out Cam...that means one or more if the following things about Flacco.

1.) He agrees with all/most of it.

2.) He doesn't agree but doesnt care.

3.) He doesn't agree and is too scared to voice opinion, or he has but is too scared to take action.

Not saying which one I think is right, but one of those or some mixture.

[quote name='3-4ravdef509' timestamp='1352411984' post='1213470']
To all those calling out Cam...that means one or more if the following things about Flacco.

1.) He agrees with all/most of it.

2.) He doesn't agree but doesnt care.

3.) He doesn't agree and is too scared to voice opinion, or he has but is too scared to take action.

Not saying which one I think is right, but one of those or some mixture.
[/quote]

Or 4. He doesn't agree but doesn't have the authority to do anything about it.