Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

krrock10

How to Improve Offense - Non Cam Cameron Edition

47 posts in this topic

This is not a bash Cam thread as it is[b] well known [/b]that he blows. Please no mention of Cam!

Please post ways that you think the offense could improve.

- Is it just me, or do we never work the middle of the field???
- Why dont we roll Flacco out of the pocket, our O-line cant hold long enough when he stays in the pocket on deeper routes.
- Speaking of which, we need to run more short passing routes. Our O-line just can't hold long enough for the mid-deep patterns.
- Doesnt seem like we throw many bombs anymore. Am I delusional?

EDIT - Any suggestion can be something that Cam should do better, I just dont want this to be a Cam bashing thread. No mention of Cam, just pure design of the offense. Obviosuly in the end, its all things he should do better.

All those things pertain to play design aka Cam! hahaha

Ways we can improve, that Cam has minimal effect on, is limiting the drops. Even today we had 2-3 at least. Also, limiting dumb penalties, an Oher holding, Yanda false start, Pierce personal foul (even though he came back and scored).

[quote name='krrock10' timestamp='1352074994' post='1210580']
This is not a bash Cam thread as it is[b] well known [/b]that he blows. Please no mention of Cam!

- Why dont we roll Flacco out of the pocket, our O-line cant hold long enough when he stays in the pocket on deeper routes.
- Speaking of which, we need to run more short passing routes. Our O-line just can't hold long enough for the mid-deep patterns.
[/quote]

Thread hijack... Cam sucks. He's the reason behind all of this. We can't talk about the offense and routes without mentioning his lame duck game planning and play calling. Cam is the anti offense. He is to our offenses production what an abortion clinic is to a babies life.

Yeah, if you take Cam out, it's all execution. Make the throws, catch the balls, make the holes and hit them hard. Nothing everyone doesn't already know.

EDIT: Everyone except-- Oh well you know.

[quote name='krrock10' timestamp='1352074994' post='1210580']

EDIT - Any suggestion can be something that Cam should do better, I just dont want this to be a Cam bashing thread. No mention of Cam, just pure design of the offense. Obviosuly in the end, its all things he should do better.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, not only is everything you said spot on, but it all goes back to scheme design and play calling, both done by Cam Cameron. We do everything you said like once every three games, it works great, and we never see it again.

Man it was a valiant effort to make this a "no Cam zone " but that would be impossible with this bunch.

[quote name='K-Dog' timestamp='1352079622' post='1210714']
Man it was a valiant effort to make this a "no Cam zone " but that would be impossible with this bunch.
[/quote]

This bunch? It's not as if people like [profanity deleted]ing about Cam without reason. He holds a fair amount of blame for the offense's inconsistency.

The major and major improvement on the offense that I can see clearly and everyone else as well as the media is a replacement of Cam.....

It's easy to fix a tangible thing than intangible thing like Cam's perception on playcallings.....

Point being Cam is not the be all end all of the offense.
You can put ANY one in the OC position and balls will continue to be dropped.
False starts will occur.

We have a thread on here some where that was about our defense and Cam got thrown under the bus.

Some one here at the end of last season said it was Cams fault Joe Flacco did not go to the polar bear plunge.

I am waiting for hurricane Sandy to be Cams fault.

yes Cam is at fault but he is far, far from alone.

If the quarterback is inconsistent you'll see inconsistent play. At times Joe looks like a capable quaterback then at other times it looks like he's never held a football before---- see the second and third quarters.

It's laughable that he wants to get paid as a top five guy when his statistics scream otherwise.

[quote name='display name' timestamp='1352080282' post='1210729']
Suggs package!
[/quote]

Can we even call it the Suggs Package now that Troy is gone? I guess Tyrod is a worthy replacement. I second this man's idea! Let's just go back to the good ol' Suggs Package.

[quote name='Ravens804' timestamp='1352083188' post='1210796']
Norv-Turner
[/quote]

we scored more points against the browns with cam cameron. jason garrett please.

How about doing what other good offenses in the league are doing, throw to the tight ends down the field. Not just on short out patterns or short arrow patterns, let them run down the field and see if there are match up problems with LB's. Establishing a running game is good but for us to be specifically a run team and thrown when we have to is old. It doesn't work anymore. All the good teams throw the ball first, run second. I have no problem giving Rice the ball 15-20 times a game but it's not working to run anymore than 15-20. Throw the ball to the tight ends more.

[quote name='Rogerdat' timestamp='1352090550' post='1210956']
How about doing what other good offenses in the league are doing, throw to the tight ends down the field. Not just on short out patterns or short arrow patterns, let them run down the field and see if there are match up problems with LB's. Establishing a running game is good but for us to be specifically a run team and thrown when we have to is old. It doesn't work anymore. All the good teams throw the ball first, run second. I have no problem giving Rice the ball 15-20 times a game but it's not working to run anymore than 15-20. Throw the ball to the tight ends more.
[/quote]

I agree! Not with our O-line. It certainly isn't bad, but to attempt as many runs with the hopes of consistent gain is too high of an expectation. Plenty of times today not even a hole was created for Rice. If you noticed we pitched the ball so Rice could run to the outside, which to me indicates how lackluster our O-line can be. We rarely pitch the ball, if memory serves me correctly. Usually we're punching it up the gut, but it works well during the beginning and defenses usually put an end to it very quickly.

Our offense needs to recognize how to attack the defense.

The opponents scheme is constantly changing and were doing the same play over and over.

They need to identify what is going on field and expose and create opportunities.

The team can prep on practice, but you can clearly tell when our offense scheme falls apart, we have a hard time picking ourself back. Almost to a point where we look like we have our chicken head cut off. Just look at all the 3&outs past 3-4 games.

The players needs to recognize whats going on field. I think that is the most important thing. Prep is good, but evaluate and constantly figure out what to do to attack their defense. Don't just sit there, kiss the mary and hope something can happen.

That 6 consecutive 3 & out after a fantastic start just proves it.

Two things come to mind that will instantly make our offense better.

1. Convert 3rd downs.
2. Stop the Penalties.

Raise the 3rd down conversion rate to 40-50 percent and stop the offensive penalties and this offense will handle any defense in the league.

And I didn't mention the "C" word not once.

[quote name='Hardbaugh' timestamp='1352082984' post='1210794']
If the quarterback is inconsistent you'll see inconsistent play. At times Joe looks like a capable quaterback then at other times it looks like he's never held a football before---- see the second and third quarters.

It's laughable that he wants to get paid as a top five guy when his statistics scream otherwise.
[/quote]yes because our 51 yards of 21 rushes after the first quarter had nothing to do with our abysmall 2nd and 3rd qtrs at all

This game proofs, that this team won't go anywhere, if we give Ray Rice 25 touches in every game. He was effective for one quarter and got nothing done for the rest of the game. Imagine how things would've turned out, if the Browns actually would've had a good QB.

[quote name='PolishRifle' timestamp='1352109318' post='1211040']
This game proofs, that this team won't go anywhere, if we give Ray Rice r25 touches in every game. He was effective for one quarter and got nothing done for the rest of the game.

Imagine how things would've turned out, if the Browns actually would've had a good QB.

He got nothing done because we kept running the same left side run and the Browns adjusted . Guess who didn't readjust after that?
[/quote]

[quote name='poedacrow' timestamp='1352096649' post='1211009']
Two things come to mind that will instantly make our offense better.

1. Convert 3rd downs.
[size=5][b]2. Stop the Penalties.[/b][/size]

Raise the 3rd down conversion rate to 40-50 percent and stop the offensive penalties and this offense will handle any defense in the league.

And I didn't mention the "C" word not once.
[/quote]

Penalties are drive killers, every time.

I would add

3. Catch the ball when it's thrown to you.

We still have too many 'non-catches' of catchable balls.

What do people think about getting the ball in Pierces hands a little more. The more I see him play, the happier I become that we drafted him. For all of the Ozzie bashing (some fair, some unfair), this guy Pierce really looks good. I wonder how effective he could be catching passes out of the backfield.

Also, a potential crazy suggestion - what if we had Piece and Rice on the field at the same time with Leach. 3 backs, Flacco, 5 linemen. That leaves us with 2 other players. Some mix of tightends or receivers.

After the first two scoring drives where we had great balance,the Browns adjusted their defense. We kept running Ray
off left tackle and it stopped working because of the Browns adjustment.

We did not readjust .OOPS .I just saw this was the non-Cameron edition.

[quote name='krrock10' timestamp='1352118748' post='1211071']
[b]What do people think about getting the ball in Pierces hands a little more.[/b] The more I see him play, the happier I become that we drafted him. For all of the Ozzie bashing (some fair, some unfair), this guy Pierce really looks good. I wonder how effective he could be catching passes out of the backfield.

Also, a potential crazy suggestion - what if we had Piece and Rice on the field at the same time with Leach. 3 backs, Flacco, 5 linemen. That leaves us with 2 other players. Some mix of tightends or receivers.
[/quote]

So who would get the ball less for that to happen? If you are one of the fans, that wants Rice to have his 25 carries, that would bring Flacco down to single digit numbers. So Flacco has officially become the Alex Smith of the Baltimore Ravens?

[quote name='PolishRifle' timestamp='1352128378' post='1211148']
So who would get the ball less for that to happen? If you are one of the fans, that wants Rice to have his 25 carries, that would bring Flacco down to single digit numbers. So Flacco has officially become the Alex Smith of the Baltimore Ravens?
[/quote]

That is a good point. Thats why I advocated for him catching some passes out of the backfield. And no, I am not one to advicate Rice getting 25 touches. I would rather keep him fresh, especially when we have another back who can help lighten the load, while helping the team at the same time.

And what is wrong with Alex Smith like production from Flacco. If we win with that formula, we should use it.

Fire Camcameron . That will help. He runs ,with Harbaugh's blessing, the most boring offense . The ravens have to much talent on offense to be that bad.Can somebody tell me if Bryant Mckinnie is playing and if not why not?