Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nextgen_RavensFan

Excited about Upshaw

55 posts in this topic

It seems like every week i see Upshaw around the ball more and more. I swear if he could just find that one extra step he would be a terror on the field. I cannot wait until he gets a full season under his belt.

He is going to be a tackling machine with awesome closing speed and a lot of power. I can just imagine him on one end and Suggs on the other, they are going to do some damage.

I agree. I love Upshaw's potential. He has been one of the few bright spots on the defense this year. Im looking forward to seeing how he and Suggs develop not just in the future, but also as this year pans out.

Upshaw will be the next great Ravens defender. I've been saying that a lot lately, and I firmly believe it. He's going to be up there with the other elite OLBs soon. Give him a year to get his weight down and his quickness up and he's going to be an absolute beast.

Now that we have Suggs back, Upshaw should develop as planned. I cant wait to see his progression. Imagine learning your craft from Sizzle. HELLO?!?!?

It's not as much the weight as his adjusting to the speed and complexity of playing in the NFL. Upshaw has all the talent needed to become a superstar. Let's patiently wait until he matures into greatness.

[quote name='Purple Nurple' timestamp='1351994050' post='1208389']
Now that we have Suggs back, Upshaw should develop as planned. I cant wait to see his progression. Imagine learning your craft from Sizzle. HELLO?!?!?
[/quote]
HI?!?!?

[quote name='codizzle' timestamp='1352004717' post='1208455']

HI?!?!?
[/quote]

You dare mock my punctuation?!?!?

I think, and especially for a rookie, that Upshaw sets the edge nearly as well as J.J did. Yes he is not at that level yet, but who would expect him to be? i"m very confident he'll be a great OLB, what i'm hoping is he can get to the quarterback more and be more of an energizer in time, like lewis or suggs

I see Upshaw being a great complement to Suggs. Same kind of mold as a Woodley to me. I think Asa also pans out.

He lacks the explosiveness to be a double digit sack artist, but he's a great all around gamer with a nose for the ball.

Every week that goes by I see more from him, and am more impressed. He's going to be great for us.

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1352015039' post='1208474']
He lacks the explosiveness to be a double digit sack artist, but he's a great all around gamer with a nose for the ball.
[/quote]sums him up to a tee, I just hope maybe he can gain more explosiveness with proper nfl fitness and training.

[quote name='CalvinSmoke' timestamp='1351993500' post='1208387']
We will forget who Jarret Johnson was very soon if he continues to develop.
[/quote]

Upshaw should prove to be a more versatile replacement, but I'll always miss JJ's Monday morning radio spot :-).

[quote name='Purple Nurple' timestamp='1351994050' post='1208389']
[/quote]

They could use mirrors and just adjust Sizzle's techniques to the left side!

But seriously, Courtney has a great motor and looks to be another bang up 'Bama product. If only someone would step up to fill Redding's shoes.

[quote name='Purple Nurple' timestamp='1352009110' post='1208462']

You dare mock my punctuation?!?!?
[/quote]
Would you prefer a lie or the truth?

[quote name='awholelottahaloti' timestamp='1352032047' post='1208501']

Upshaw should prove to be a more versatile replacement, but I'll always miss JJ's Monday morning radio spot.
[/quote]

Yeah, I love me some Torrey, but I-95 had some great insight and personality.

[quote name='K-Dog' timestamp='1352035849' post='1208511']

Yeah, I love me some Torrey, but I-95 had some great insight and personality.
[/quote]who called him I 95?

Nobody intended for Upshaw to come in and be a top pass rusher and run stopper but he was forced into that situation when Sizzle got injrued. Once Ngata is back at 100% and Suggs gets enough workout time to play all the snaps (effectively) we will see a much better Run Defense. Looking forward to drafting a Defensive End/Defensive Tackle in the draft next year? I am.

[quote name='arnie_uk' timestamp='1352036834' post='1208516']
who called him I 95?
[/quote]
A few people were calling him that. It didnt completely catch on.
Interstate 95 is the major highway that goes through Baltimore.

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1352015039' post='1208474']
[/quote]
No, he lacks the explosiveness to be an all pro. He can get 10 sacks, he is a pass rusher with stregnth, not a Suggs speed rusher. I see him with 10 sacks in a season.

[quote name='xxhighriser' timestamp='1352047704' post='1208586']
Finally, a positive thread.
[/quote]

Shhhhhhh, dont jinx it.

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1352066977' post='1210199']
No, he lacks the explosiveness to be an all pro. He can get 10 sacks, he is a pass rusher with stregnth, not a Suggs speed rusher. I see him with 10 sacks in a season.
[/quote]

I hope you're right.

[quote name='CapoRocky' timestamp='1352003736' post='1208448']
It's not as much the weight as his adjusting to the speed and complexity of playing in the NFL. Upshaw has all the talent needed to become a superstar. Let's patiently wait until he matures into greatness.
[/quote]

I'd be happy if he becomes even Jamie Sharper like.

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1352066977' post='1210199']
[/quote]

Suggs is not a speed rusher either..... Upshaw, if he does right in the off-season will be a very solid pass rush guy. He'll learn how to train and take care of his body..the NFL WAY.

[quote name='jimmypowder' timestamp='1352154009' post='1211624']
Upshaw is improving every game. He's not a difference maker yet but I'm happy with this pick thus far.
[/quote]

He's got instincts, thats what I like most. He anticipates things, not just reacts like McClain/Ellerbe/McCellen.

I swear he always finds his way to the ball. Can you imagine next season he will be a presence on the field and will have to be accounted for. A healthy Suggs, Upshaw and Jimmy Smith with a year under his belt. Now that is going to be a fast solid defense. If C Williams is here next year and Jimmy continues to grow we always have the choice to have the safety help out on Williams side. I know the defense looks bad right now but it takes time and i think we will be a better then average defense next year. Our run stop defense will improve, it will be a chore to pass on us because Suggs and company are going to put pressure on most offenses and the field will probably be cut in half because Smith will be very solid. I even think once we start getting pressure we will see the C Williams we saw last year because the ball will come out faster.

[quote name='H8R' timestamp='1352154427' post='1211636']
He's got instincts, thats what I like most. He anticipates things, not just reacts like McClain/Ellerbe/McCellen.
[/quote]
Which is why I don't understand why McClellan even sees the field. He's already subbing Kruger in on snaps. Unless Upshaw needs a breather that frequently he should be on the field for 1st and 2nd down. And frankly with how brutal Kruger has been pass rushing I'd just leave Upshaw in for every down until he needs a breather.

[quote name='Bltravens' timestamp='1352156272' post='1211667']
Which is why I don't understand why McClellan even sees the field. He's already subbing Kruger in on snaps. Unless Upshaw needs a breather that frequently he should be on the field for 1st and 2nd down. And frankly with how brutal Kruger has been pass rushing I'd just leave Upshaw in for every down until he needs a breather.
[/quote]

I think at this point they feel that experience on the defensive side of the ball is limited and hoping someone will try to be the leader on the defense. I think this time next year you will have to drag Upshaw off of the field. Soon i think he will be ready to assume JJ's spot and i still think he is about maybe 3 years away or so but i think he will do JJ's job and probably be better at it. I mean this guy has speed, power and is learning quickly. Does anyone think he could put on a few more pounds or no ? Maybe just 15 to 20 lbs. I have not felt this excited on the defensive side of the ball in a long time but he just seems special and that his talent will land him in quite a few pro bowls if the league does not stop them.