Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dhstandard

Deonte Thompson on Offense.

47 posts in this topic

Why has he not had a chance to play? When receivers can't even get separation one on one this guy could go out and surprise some people. Just have him run in circles until he gets open. He looked pretty good with Tyrod at QB.

Perhaps a good question, but remember - the coaches see these guys in practice every week... and if they were a better option than our current starters / #3, I'm sure they'd earn the playing time.

It's like the old football saying - the most popular guy for a struggling team is the backup QB... ;)

He's had an issue with his hands that goes back to when he played for Florida. Once he can consistently hold on to the ball he'll be seeing the field much more often.

they should give these speedsters couple of touches on offense, like Thompson and Laquan williams, they will be matched up with either a slow Safety or 3rd string CB, since we having trouble with separation u might is will give these guys a chance,

When our passing offense goes 3& out so often, you really dont have much of a chance to give backups a chance, much less starters.

[quote name='omar586' timestamp='1351916590' post='1208041']
they should give these speedsters couple of touches on offense, like Thompson and [b]Laquan williams[/b], they will be matched up with either a slow Safety or 3rd string CB, since we having trouble with separation u might is will give these guys a chance,
[/quote]Williams isn't a speedster lol. But Thompson isn't ready.

I agree with the O.p. We have no life on offense. I'll say this; if Flacco struggles again like he did in Houston, i am completely off the (he's our guy thing). Give him all the weapons he needs, let him hand pick his playbook. Add Deonte or whatever receivers he wants.

No More Excuses!!!!!!!

Deonte needs to take advantage of his chances he gets. i remember last year when reed had those fumbles, everybody wanted him to be thrown out of the team. now denote fumbled on the kickoff return and nobody said anything about it.

i think it is because most of the guys in here including myself like deonte. He had a great camp and preseason. he is on the team for a reason. he will get his chances on offense. look how rarely doss sees the field on offense.

for now it is boldin, smith and jones as the first three. they are doing a good job so far. right now there is no need to throw someone in.

Donte did such a good job during preseason and the team used him in regular season games until he had the one fumble. He's been given zero chance to redeem himself. Just this week Harbs admitted the team needs to get more players involve so maybe, just maybe, we get to see him and others.

Second team players have unique skills that can catch an opposing team by surprise since there is little or no film on them to study.

[quote name='Ravenseconbeast' timestamp='1351921949' post='1208059']
When our passing offense goes 3& out so often, you really dont have much of a chance to give backups a chance, much less starters.
[/quote]

The hope is that going forward the 3 and outs will diminish and provide opportunity for more player involvement. Otherwise this thread is for nothing.

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1351917056' post='1208043']
He hasn't had a chance to play because he's not as good/reliable as the guys we have out there. Simple.
[/quote]

Most believe Doss has proven himself but we rarely see him. It's hard to believe the Ravens or any team makes a habit of dressing players on game day that can't be trusted enough to play. I see this as a problem with flexibility more than reliability.

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1351917056' post='1208043']
He hasn't had a chance to play because he's not as good/reliable as the guys we have out there. Simple.
[/quote]

Yeah that's the reason. It's the reason why Antwan Barnes sat as well. It was because we had so many great passrushers playing ahead of him. Good thing we are doing so well at getting to the QB. Don't really need all of those sacks that Barnes is getting in SD.

[quote name='Bazooka Joe' timestamp='1351956905' post='1208114']
Yeah that's the reason. It's the reason why Antwan Barnes sat as well. It was because we had so many great passrushers playing ahead of him. Good thing we are doing so well at getting to the QB. Don't really need all of those sacks that Barnes is getting in SD.
[/quote]

Yes, how will we replace Antwan Barnes' [b]one [/b]sack and five tackles?

[quote name='black blood purple passion' timestamp='1351958635' post='1208123']
The OC for the saints must drool over our receiving core...or bang his head against the wall trying to understand how we don't put up 35 points/game.
[/quote]

Who is he salivating over and how are they better than what he has? I'd say Torrey Smith is the only one who is better than what they currently have. I bet Cameron is drooling over the Saints OL

[quote name='berad' timestamp='1351958859' post='1208127']
Who is he salivating over and how are they better than what he has? I'd say Torrey Smith is the only one who is better than what they currently have. I bet Cameron is drooling over the Saints OL
[/quote]
I just find the Saints manage to take in no name guys with physical tools and develop them into ballers.

Lance Moore - Undrafted
Devry Henderson - Round 2
Marques Colston - Round 7
Courtney Roby - Round 3

You could also throw in the Colts/Packers/Patriots...a majority of all their skill position guys are taken past round 3, and they make them into all stars. Mind you it helps and may be fairly coincidental that those 4 teams also have the 4 best QB's on them; however, if Flacco wants money like the big boys, he better start using the tools we've provided him.

[quote name='black blood purple passion' timestamp='1351960236' post='1208139']
I just find the Saints manage to take in no name guys with physical tools and develop them into ballers.

Lance Moore - Undrafted
Devry Henderson - Round 2
Marques Colston - Round 7
Courtney Roby - Round 3

You could also throw in the Colts/Packers/Patriots...a majority of all their skill position guys are taken past round 3, and they make them into all stars. Mind you it helps and may be fairly coincidental that those 4 teams also have the 4 best QB's on them; however, if Flacco wants money like the big boys, he better start using the tools we've provided him.
[/quote]

Who on the Patriots/Packers/Colts are you referring to, specifically? The majority of those guys were not taken past round 3. Also draft status does not always equate to talent in the pros.

[quote name='berad' timestamp='1351963618' post='1208163']
Who on the Patriots/Packers/Colts are you referring to, specifically? The majority of those guys were not taken past round 3. Also draft status does not always equate to talent in the pros.
[/quote]

Colts:
Austin Collie Round 4
Reggie Wayne round 1 (beat me there haha)
Pierre Garcon round 6 (now with the foreskins but his major production has been for the colts)

Packers:

James Jones Round 3
Jordy Nelson Round 2 - hmm always thought he went undrafted....
Randall Cobb Randall Cobb round 2

so I guess my point was moot for the packers so I'll take that back.

Patriots:

Danny Woodhead -undrafted
Wes Welker - undrafted
Deone BRanch - Round 2
Edelman - round 7

and I realize that draft status doesnt have everything to do with production, but teams are more likely to select players with more promise in the earlier rounds than the later ones. So all the players taken beyond round 3 or 4 usually have problems, and teams like the saints pats and colts are very good at ironing out those difficulties and making those players productive. We on the other hand are not very good in the WR department but we have guys like Tommy Streeter, Deonte Thompson, Tandon Doss, etc who all have GREAT physical tools, but aren't putting it all together right now. If we had a great OC who could maybe use these guys in situations that gives them the best chance to use their best physical tools to their advantage then we could be VERY dangerous.

[quote name='black blood purple passion' timestamp='1351965079' post='1208171']
Colts:
Austin Collie Round 4
Reggie Wayne round 1 (beat me there haha)
Pierre Garcon round 6 (now with the foreskins but his major production has been for the colts)

Packers:

James Jones Round 3
Jordy Nelson Round 2 - hmm always thought he went undrafted....
Randall Cobb Randall Cobb round 2

so I guess my point was moot for the packers so I'll take that back.

Patriots:

Danny Woodhead -undrafted
Wes Welker - undrafted
Deone BRanch - Round 2
Edelman - round 7

and I realize that draft status doesnt have everything to do with production, but teams are more likely to select players with more promise in the earlier rounds than the later ones. So all the players taken beyond round 3 or 4 usually have problems, and teams like the saints pats and colts are very good at ironing out those difficulties and making those players productive. We on the other hand are not very good in the WR department but we have guys like Tommy Streeter, Deonte Thompson, Tandon Doss, etc who all have GREAT physical tools, but aren't putting it all together right now. [b]If we had a great OC who could maybe use these guys in situations that gives them the best chance to use their best physical tools to their advantage then we could be VERY dangerous.[/b]
[/quote]

That's more of the problem than anything, I think, although the Ravens have been historically bad at drafting receivers.

To the listed players, Collie's career is essentially done and it was never that good to begin with. Julian Edelman hasn't done anything, Woodhead is a poor, poor man's Sproles. Those Patriots players aren't great, they just have a creative system that can maximize each of them.

And for all those players you listed, you can also list receiver draftees that faded out from the same team.

Pats: Taylor Price (3rd), Brandon Tate (3rd), Chad Jackson (2nd), Bethel Johnson (2nd)
Saints: Robert Meachem (1st)
Colts: Anthony Gonzalez (1st)

Point is, the Ravens don't have an exorbitant amount of talent. The players we have are much better than they've been, yes, but that's relative to what we had. I think they could be utilized a whole lot better by OC, or they could be very productive with a better OL like most of those teams have (aside from the Packers, Rodgers is just a beast). Also, Joe Flacco is not Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or Drew Brees, he is definitely not as good.

[quote name='berad' timestamp='1351966214' post='1208178']
That's more of the problem than anything, I think, although the Ravens have been historically bad at drafting receivers.

To the listed players, Collie's career is essentially done and it was never that good to begin with. Julian Edelman hasn't done anything, Woodhead is a poor, poor man's Sproles. Those Patriots players aren't great, they just have a creative system that can maximize each of them.

And for all those players you listed, you can also list receiver draftees that faded out from the same team.

Pats: Taylor Price (3rd), Brandon Tate (3rd), Chad Jackson (2nd), Bethel Johnson (2nd)
Saints: Robert Meachem (1st)
Colts: Anthony Gonzalez (1st)

Point is, the Ravens don't have an exorbitant amount of talent. The players we have are much better than they've been, yes, but that's relative to what we had. I think they could be utilized a whole lot better by OC, or they could be very productive with a better OL like most of those teams have (aside from the Packers, Rodgers is just a beast). Also, Joe Flacco is not Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or Drew Brees, he is definitely not as good.
[/quote]

I think were in violent agreement about the source of our problems. I think I went about proving my point the wrong way. I just wish we didn't have to spend 1st round picks on all our players to get any production, we should be trying to groom players as well, and we do a very good job of this (historically, not so much this year) on the defensive side of the ball; however, our ability to take WR's with a few issues and get some level of production (not necessarily 1000+ yards, but 2 guys with 600 yards and Torrey with 1000+ would be nice). With Cam, we're more likely to call a screen to boldin with Jacoby Jones blocking for him...

[quote name='black blood purple passion' timestamp='1351967493' post='1208192']
I think were in violent agreement about the source of our problems. I think I went about proving my point the wrong way. I just wish we didn't have to spend 1st round picks on all our players to get any production, we should be trying to groom players as well, and we do a very good job of this (historically, not so much this year) on the defensive side of the ball; however, our ability to take WR's with a few issues and get some level of production (not necessarily 1000+ yards, but 2 guys with 600 yards and Torrey with 1000+ would be nice). With Cam, we're more likely to call a screen to boldin with Jacoby Jones blocking for him...
[/quote]

Absolutely agree, good discussion!

[quote name='Radinho84' timestamp='1351944196' post='1208077']
Deonte needs to take advantage of his chances he gets. i remember last year when reed had those fumbles, everybody wanted him to be thrown out of the team. now denote fumbled on the kickoff return and nobody said anything about it.

i think it is because most of the guys in here including myself like deonte. He had a great camp and preseason. he is on the team for a reason. he will get his chances on offense. look how rarely doss sees the field on offense.

for now it is boldin, smith and jones as the first three. they are doing a good job so far. right now there is no need to throw someone in.
[/quote]

The reason nobody said anything was because of how it happened. He was about to break it for a touchdown when a guy on the ground just wrapped his arm around the ball. In real-time it was clear to everyone how chance that was. Like when Santana Moss fumbled on 4th down this year he had his arms completely wrapped around the ball. There is just nothing you can do about that one.

[quote name='black blood purple passion' timestamp='1351967493' post='1208192']
[/quote]

It's not completely the receivers fault. Just look at the plays and routes the Saints Colts and Patriots run. They have 4 and 5 Wide Receiver sets with the receivers crossing and doing a whole different bunch of moves. Ravens offense just send Torrey or Jacoby on Go routes and have Boldin do a couple curls or out routes.

[quote name='Radinho84' timestamp='1351944196' post='1208077']

[/quote]
[quote name='dhstandard' timestamp='1351979874' post='1208281']
The reason nobody said anything was because of how it happened. He was about to break it for a touchdown when a guy on the ground just wrapped his arm around the ball. In real-time it was clear to everyone how chance that was. Like when Santana Moss fumbled on 4th down this year he had his arms completely wrapped around the ball. There is just nothing you can do about that one.
[/quote]

I'd also say Deonte got off easier because he only made one bad play in a game we won rather than three bad plays / two turnovers in a game we lost like Reed. If Deonte's fumble had been scooped up and returned for a TD, costing us the game, it'd be a lot different. That's the difference between winning and losing.

[quote name='VabchRavens' timestamp='1351982092' post='1208301']
Without making me use google, was Thompson 83, or was that Streeter? 83 played well in the pre season.
[/quote]

83 was Thompson. Streeter was 11. And yeah, Deonte lit it up in PS.