Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DocMartin

Time Of Possesion - Does It Have Effect On Our Game?

26 posts in this topic

Have you wonder why we have so many players injured and banged up on Defense? In most of the games this season Ravens Defense has been playing well over 30 minutes, sometimes 40 minutes a game. What do we need to do?

I'm assuming the no huddles and muddle huddles have an impact on the numbers, but I'm still surprised that we're dead last in offensive TOP.

Two things need to be done.

The defense needs to help itself out and get some stops.

The offense needs to do more to win the TOP battle. This means fewer 3 and outs.

We knew the defense would struggle some and the offense would have to carry the burden but right now neither is doing anything to stop the bleeding. I feel like the offense stalls early causing the defense to become gassed which leads to the problems we are having. The offense needs to maintain balance between the run and pass within reason. The game in Houston got out of hand quickly due in part to the offense not moving the chains and pinning us into bad spots. We need the offense to start quicker or attempt to want to keep our injury plagued defense off the field.

Run. The. Ball. We should be running it at least once every 3 downs. There is no reason we shouldn't be. Ray rice is a stud, feed him the ball

[quote name='indianstick' timestamp='1351891574' post='1207887']
Run. The. Ball. We should be running it at least once every 3 downs. There is no reason we shouldn't be. Ray rice is a stud, feed him the ball
[/quote]
I am with this man. What a better way for the offensive line to mesh and gel. You know, we need it for the switches, changes, and tweeks on the OL that have taken place the first part of this season. Oh well, I guess I am the only one who wants a new OC, too. We need someone who understands our offensiven personnel better; we need someone who understands that Ray Rice is a sure-fire way to reach a Super Bowl.

When you have a weak defense as we have then the time of possession means everything. We need to keep the opposing offense off of the field because we cannot stop any decent running or passing attack.

Controlling the ball is the only chance we have to win a road game. I know Suggs is coming back strong but he does not have the supporting cast he had before to fill gaps etc. From here on out it will be hard fought to keep even a .500 record. 2 games against the Steelers who wre finding their stride, Chargers, Redskins, Denver and the Giants. We will be lucky to end the season at 8-8.

I know it is just 3 wins past this point but tell me who are the wins against ? Browns, raiders and Who else ?

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1351884639' post='1207823']
Two things need to be done.

The defense needs to help itself out and get some stops.

The offense needs to do more to win the TOP battle. This means fewer 3 and outs.
[/quote]

yes yes and yes.

That in a nut shell is the major issue this season.

Knowing that is the really easy part.
Solving that is just a wee bit more difficult.

[quote name='indianstick' timestamp='1351891574' post='1207887']
[/quote]
Amen X 1,000,000.

After we were trailing Houston 16-3 - NOT AN INSURMOUNTABLE LEAD - we had 43 Offensive plays. Cam called 38 passes and 5 runs.

All the Texan pass-rushers had to do was pin their ears back and rush Flacco - they didn't respect the run, because we only ran 11% of the time.

Indianstick, you should get an opportunity to be our Offensive Coordinator... ;)

[quote name='mhead66' timestamp='1351921578' post='1208057']
Amen X 1,000,000.

After we were trailing Houston 16-3 - NOT AN INSURMOUNTABLE LEAD - we had 43 Offensive plays. Cam called 38 passes and 5 runs.

All the Texan pass-rushers had to do was pin their ears back and rush Flacco - they didn't respect the run, because we only ran 11% of the time.

Indianstick, you should get an opportunity to be our Offensive Coordinator... ;)
[/quote]
OK. He is our new OC and you could then take Ozzie's place.lol

[quote name='Thepeas' timestamp='1351945227' post='1208081']

OK. He is our new OC and you could then take Ozzie's place.lol
[/quote]

I wonder why more people from this site do not send in their resume...

I think it's pretty impressive that our O has been somewhat productive despite the super sloped TOP. I'm just looking at the silver lining of a very dark cloud.

I have no clue how we are 5-2 when we are in the bottom of the league in TOP.

The Ravens are 22nd in both offensive 3rd down conversions (35%) and defensive third down stops (42%). If those two percentages were switched, I'd be much more confident.

After I saw this thread, I really was paying attention to TOP in this game and this was the final TOP for the Ravens and Browns.

Ravens: 31:32
Browns: 28:28

Which means the Ravens had the ball for 3:04 longer than the Browns. While it's great that our Defense wasn't on the field for 30 minutes or longer that still is a lot of time for our defense to be on the field. They need to slow down a bit and try to take as much time off the clock as possible when on offense.

I am still of the opinion that our defense is as responsible for TOP as the offense. The defense is the one letting the Browns have those long drives.

The over all TOP might a bit misleading though.

I would like to see the TOP for the second and third quarter. We had WAY too many three and outs in a row. Our D was looking exhausted at some points in time.

[quote name='K-Dog' timestamp='1352067541' post='1210237']
The over all TOP might a bit misleading though.

I would like to see the TOP for the second and third quarter. We had WAY too many three and outs in a row. Our D was looking exhausted at some points in time.
[/quote]

Maybe our offense gets "cold" standing around while our defense lets the Browns run 5+ minutes off the clock.

[quote name='Moderator 3' timestamp='1352067779' post='1210251']
Maybe our offense gets "cold" standing around while our defense lets the Browns run 5+ minutes off the clock.
[/quote]
If the offense held onto the ball longer, it would be the Browns getting cold.

[quote name='JO_75' timestamp='1352066908' post='1210197']
After I saw this thread, I really was paying attention to TOP in this game and this was the final TOP for the Ravens and Browns.

Which means the Ravens had the ball for 3:04 longer than the Browns. While it's great that our Defense wasn't on the field for 30 minutes or longer that still is a lot of time for our defense to be on the field. They need to slow down a bit and try to take as much time off the clock as possible when on offense.
[/quote]

I agree. The problem today was that we nearly quadrupled their TOP mid-way through the second, I believe. And then it went downhill from there. Our drives at the end managed to chew off the clock, but I'd like to see a little more consistency, as I'm sure everyone would. I was proud of our defense for being able to deal with the numerous consecutive three and outs on the other side of the ball.

The defense is on the field this long, because every single RB in the league can run on them. It's too easy to keep the chains moving on our defense.

[quote name='Moderator 3' timestamp='1352067779' post='1210251']
[/quote]

That can be true. An offense can lose momentum and get "rusty" if kept on the sideline long enough.

[quote name='JO_75' timestamp='1352066908' post='1210197']

[/quote]
Ravens Defense on the field:
vs. HOU 38 mins
vs. DAL 40 mins
vs. KC 34 mins
So today we made an improvement. It wasn't pretty, but gotta give kudos to Defense for holding the Browns down without TD. Maybe it was good we played Cleveland team today, Our inconsistent offense kept giving them chance after chance to win and if they managed to score just one TD instead of FG, it would of been a game with different outcome. I'm also pleased with Defense holding down Brownies running attack to around 120 yds, not great, but decent, considering our issues of stopping the run this season. I take a win, however ugly it my be, but we will need to improve more, if we want to win more games on the road this season.

Six consecutive 3 & outs.

It could've killed us, but we came back in that final drive. Lets play more consistent and prevent that ridiculous performance from happening again.