Ravens Schedule Coming Today!

The Ravens will announce their 2014 regular season schedule today at 8:00 pm ET. More Info ยป
Close

Photo

Avoiding the obvious

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

Why is it that even though the Ravens want to recognize issues they still try to ignore the obvious and over emphasize the few bright spots.

What i mean by the above statement is that they spoke about Justin Tucker, Suggs etc pretty in depth but when it comes to the defense falling they skim through it. They make no mention of Williams or Smith being less then backup players. They skimmed over the fact that our run defense is next to last in the entire league.

Why just talk about Tucker and Suggs. Talk about the issues and that you are atleast trying to resolve them.

I want to see some changes from the Offensive line. Mostly McKinnie at LT Oher at RT and hoping KO comes in strong.

On defense we need huge changes but the talent just is not there to make the changes. We are putting our best players on the field and that is a shame that we have dropped in talent to this level of mediocrity.

They can make all the excuses they want but Williams, Cody and Smith are our best players which are equal to 2nd or 3rd tier on any other team. So we might as well sit back and watch the spiraling numbers continue to grow on Rush Yards allowed etc.

We are what we are and the 5-2 is very deceiving to say the least. No matter what you think i do love the Ravens and always try to see the good but really friends this season and maybe the next few seasons this will be our defense.
This spot reserved for Super Bowl celebratory images !!

#2 RivenHale

RivenHale

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

Just because they're not saying anything to us doesn't mean they aren't working on it. Trust me, we hear ONLY what Harbs and Ozzie want us to, and NOTHING else.

#3 kassaiscool

kassaiscool

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

Its hard to do anything drastic mid season, but I'm still wondering why the ravens offered Cary Williams a contract extension. That scares me more than anything.

#4 rlh445

rlh445

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

:lol:. This is great. Your question is, 'Why would an organization having some problems and while addressing the public try to minimize those problems and show off the good things?,'. Uh, if you don't understand why the Ravens would do that, I don't think you'll ever get it. This is like the people that wonder why Joe 'never' shows emotions or why he 'never' talks with the guys on the sidelines after a series like Princess Brady even though 1) he's been shown to do both on numerous occasions and 2) the cameras aren't focused on him, they're focused on football. Just because guys aren't screaming at each other in press conferences doesn't mean they're not doing anything.

This is football, not teacups with the Queen.

#5 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,524 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

Did you miss these articles? They both deal with our "issues".

http://boards.baltim...ultiple-fronts/

http://www.baltimore...b6-dacbbc1b1879
10wmids.jpg

#6 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

Its called being an optimist. Or in smaller words. Being positive.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#7 jaege

jaege

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

Why is it that even though the Ravens want to recognize issues they still try to ignore the obvious and over emphasize the few bright spots.

What i mean by the above statement is that they spoke about Justin Tucker, Suggs etc pretty in depth but when it comes to the defense falling they skim through it. They make no mention of Williams or Smith being less then backup players. They skimmed over the fact that our run defense is next to last in the entire league.

Why just talk about Tucker and Suggs. Talk about the issues and that you are atleast trying to resolve them.

I want to see some changes from the Offensive line. Mostly McKinnie at LT Oher at RT and hoping KO comes in strong.

On defense we need huge changes but the talent just is not there to make the changes. We are putting our best players on the field and that is a shame that we have dropped in talent to this level of mediocrity.

They can make all the excuses they want but Williams, Cody and Smith are our best players which are equal to 2nd or 3rd tier on any other team. So we might as well sit back and watch the spiraling numbers continue to grow on Rush Yards allowed etc.

We are what we are and the 5-2 is very deceiving to say the least. No matter what you think i do love the Ravens and always try to see the good but really friends this season and maybe the next few seasons this will be our defense.

Finally, someone who can see and speaks the obvious truth.. All too depressing but all too true. That 5-2 record is deceptive, but not as to how good we are, but as to how bad. Being positive and looking at the team through very very very thick purple shades is not going to change the actual facts. Nor is it going to make the team play better, or get us into the playoffs. Hard work from our dreadful coaching staff and some of the players stepping up is the only thing that could possibly help.

Edited by jaege, 28 October 2012 - 01:55 PM.

It's so nice to be insane...

CAM GOT FIRED!!!!!

Joe Cool is the MAN!!!

Ravens

World Champions

#8 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,631 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

Cuz the Ravens FO is a bunch of homers who view everything through purple shades.
(insert additional tired cliches here)

Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)
Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVP
Farewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!

If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#9 RavensAllTheWay

RavensAllTheWay

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

You're right, I forgot....everything that is said and done is said and done in the media...there's no such thing as "closed doors." We see it all..... :34853_shakehead:

#10 Blex64

Blex64

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

I'm not really sure where you're coming from with all this, there's a whole lot of wrong information here.

Why? McKinnie was benched for a reason. Oher has played really well at LT so far this year. I was worried about our OL at the beginning of the year, but KO has been the worst player on a couple down weeks, but that's part of rookie pains. I don't think this offers much immediate improvement, and is only going to hurt us in the long term.

Cody has been ok at NT. He hasn't been spectacular, but he hasn't been bad either. He wasn't starting at NT until last week though. Art Jones has been a much larger problem, along with out edge-setting. I don't know what to do about Jones. Suggs back and Cody getting the starting spot again should see our run D start to improve again, hopefully Ngata will get healthier too. Kemo has been starting most of the year at Nose, and has been awful.

Cary has been garbage this year, and Jimmy hasn't done great in the limited snaps (although he's been better then Cary). Honestly, a large part of this issue is the way we are playing them. I'm not sure how Cary's press coverage is, but he's like 6'1 195. Jimmy is 6'2 205? Both of them are bigger corners. Jimmy was touted as the best press corner in the draft last year, better then Peterson. We're not seeing it because we're not pressing him. I have no idea why this is, presumably Pees? I really don't know. PFF did a breakdown of snaps in press earlier this season, and Cary was second lowest in the league after Asante Samuels. Again, no idea why. Jimmy is definitely more talented then either Seahawks corner, and I think Cary could press fine. We're simply not pressing them.

We are what we are and the 5-2 is very deceiving to say the least. No matter what you think i do love the Ravens and always try to see the good but really friends this season and maybe the next few seasons this will be our defense

5-2 is not deceiving. 5-2 is 5-2. We're a team with issues, sure. We're also in what looks like a weak division (surprisingly) and in an even weaker conference.

#11 jaege

jaege

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

Cuz the Ravens FO is a bunch of homers who view everything through purple shades.
(insert additional tired cliches here)

The FO is exceptional, but they have very little direct impact upon play after the season starts, unless they make a trade or fire someone. They do not coach players, create schemes, or take the field. Correct me if I am wrong but I imagine they are not much different than we fans at that stage of the season..
It's so nice to be insane...

CAM GOT FIRED!!!!!

Joe Cool is the MAN!!!

Ravens

World Champions

#12 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,543 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

never let your opponents see you sweat!

~Mili

Militant X 1

mili1.png

"I AM THE RENEGADE.....I HAVE NO EQUALS!"

- MX1

#13 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,631 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:22 PM

The FO is exceptional, but they have very little direct impact upon play after the season starts, unless they make a trade or fire someone. They do not coach players, create schemes, or take the field. Correct me if I am wrong but I imagine they are not much different than we fans at that stage of the season..

Not sure if you meant to quote me, since that has nothing to do with what I said

Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)
Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVP
Farewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!

If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#14 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

5-2 is not deceiving. 5-2 is 5-2.

well said.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#15 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,586 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

I'm amazed at how people always try to highlight the negative as being real, but assume the positive is just kool aid sipping. There is a balance. Some good some bad. If people haven't noticed there isn't any dominate teams in the NFL right now. Especially in the AFC. People the Browns just beat the Chargers. You know the team that basically every Ravens fan fears, any team can be beaten by anyone.

I know I will be looked at as a homer, but i honestly don't think that Texans game proved how good or bad both teams are. The Texans got every bounce imaginable in that game, and I think the first quarter was more evident of who both teams are. However they whopped the Ravens butts and their is no excuse. The Ravens are 5-2 there's nothing more to that. You don't get wins for style points. I think the Gaints were like 9-7 last year, does that spell Super Bowl?

To me the obvious is the Ravens are avoiding their identity on both sides of the ball. On defense we don't do well with the bend but don't break approach. You can be as exotic as you want with you're blitz packages, if you have soft coverage on the back it it doesn't work. Exotic and soft just doesn't mix with the Ravens defense. If you are gonna get blasted, live and die with what you do well. Get up in peoples face and be physical.

On offense, you have the best RB in the game and you just paid him a boat load of money. Use him. Yes Flacco and the passing game has the potential to be really great, but they work best when they are in a rythm. Flacco may just be the best play action QB in the NFL, however if you're not running the ball, you can't play action. The reason our no huddle offense was supposed to be so special was because unlike other teams, we could stay balanced in it. The Ravens could attack any level of the field and force your defender to play on their heels. However that's hasn't been happening the last 2-3 weeks. It seems like the WRs run the same exact routes and hope they can fool the defense.

I also think the schedule really hurt the Ravens. 4 tough physical, emotionally charged games in 17 days will drain any team. Then after a breif rest, they were forced on the road 2 of the next 3 weeks. I watch that Texans game and I see a Ravens team that was spent after the first quarter. The Texans were charged up and their crowd was even more so, and they feed off that. Basically then same thing that happend to the Bengals in week 1, the Ravens walked into a buzz saw and couldn't keep pace.
Posted Image

#16 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,586 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

I acknowledge that there are some big problems, but I also think that there isn't anything that can't be corrected within these coming weeks. Nothing is as simple as it seems, but for me. Pees: get physical and stay phsyical on defense. These are the same players we had last season, so i don't wanna hear about lack of talent. A lot of these guys are young and finding their way, while getting extended playing time.

Cam has to get back to being a phsyical offense, but also getting creative with the passing game. I find it hard to believe that they don't use more WR screen, when so many teams play off coverage in fear of Torrey and Jones' speed. I find it hard to understand why you have one of the games best RBs, a pretty good rookie backing him up, the NFL's top FB and a QB who may just be the best play action passer in the game, yet you refuse to establish the running game. There has to be something I'm missing because that just seems some simple to me.

Using Ray Rice and the running game isn't a knock to Joe Flacco and his quest to prove he's elite. It just means you have a weapon that other Elite QBs generally don't have, and that should set you apart. People seem to forget that what made the greatest show on turf some great was the dynamic Marshall Fualk. Faulk was a 2,000 total yard performer in both of Kurt Warner's best seasons with the Rams. Teams had to gameplan to stop Fualk which freed everyone else up in the offense.

I think the Ravens, and more importantly Cam, should review some of those old Rams games and follow that blueprint.
Posted Image

#17 Dfence4champs2052

Dfence4champs2052

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

Just because they're not saying anything to us doesn't mean they aren't working on it. Trust me, we hear ONLY what Harbs and Ozzie want us to, and NOTHING else.

Everyone wants to say and think that....but then they come back after the bye and remainder of the season with the same plan.
<p>Posted Image
SIG COURTESY OF BALTIMOREFLACCO!

IT IS A CRIME RAY LEWIS HAS NOT BEEN BACK TO THE SUPERBOWL!!!

#18 Dfence4champs2052

Dfence4champs2052

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

I acknowledge that there are some big problems, but I also think that there isn't anything that can't be corrected within these coming weeks. Nothing is as simple as it seems, but for me. Pees: get physical and stay phsyical on defense. These are the same players we had last season, so i don't wanna hear about lack of talent. A lot of these guys are young and finding their way, while getting extended playing time.

Cam has to get back to being a phsyical offense, but also getting creative with the passing game. I find it hard to believe that they don't use more WR screen, when so many teams play off coverage in fear of Torrey and Jones' speed. I find it hard to understand why you have one of the games best RBs, a pretty good rookie backing him up, the NFL's top FB and a QB who may just be the best play action passer in the game, yet you refuse to establish the running game. There has to be something I'm missing because that just seems some simple to me.

Using Ray Rice and the running game isn't a knock to Joe Flacco and his quest to prove he's elite. It just means you have a weapon that other Elite QBs generally don't have, and that should set you apart. People seem to forget that what made the greatest show on turf some great was the dynamic Marshall Fualk. Faulk was a 2,000 total yard performer in both of Kurt Warner's best seasons with the Rams. Teams had to gameplan to stop Fualk which freed everyone else up in the offense.

I think the Ravens, and more importantly Cam, should review some of those old Rams games and follow that blueprint.

A simple addition would also be: Have your CBs who are good at press....play press! Everytime they play off they stay torched. (williams, Smith).
<p>Posted Image
SIG COURTESY OF BALTIMOREFLACCO!

IT IS A CRIME RAY LEWIS HAS NOT BEEN BACK TO THE SUPERBOWL!!!

#19 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,586 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:04 AM

A simple addition would also be: Have your CBs who are good at press....play press! Everytime they play off they stay torched. (williams, Smith).

That goes hand in hand with being physical. Other defenses are just muggin the Ravens WRs and getting away/having success with it. So why aren't the Ravens CBs who are both 6'1 or above getting their hands on WRs. No reason why the Ravens shouldn't have a style of play in the secondary similar to that of Seattle who has bigger CBs as well.

Even if you do play zone, get in the face of the WRs and stop allowing free releases, because you're front 7 isn't getting great pressure. So even when guys do decent pressure, it doesn't matter because the QB and WRs are in rythm and the pass is generally completed.

When the Ravens play that soft zone, it takes away the strengths of basically every defender we have. Pees actually has some pretty exotic blitzes, but the Secondary plays 10 yards of the WRs so, screens and quick passes destroy it. Then it seems Pees gets into the mindset that the blitz isn't working so lets just rush 4 and that's when the QB has all the time in the world. The problem is the soft zone that basically strips away the physical, ball hawking nature of our entire secondary.
Posted Image

#20 Elmo

Elmo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

Finally, someone who can see and speaks the obvious truth.. All too depressing but all too true. That 5-2 record is deceptive, but not as to how good we are, but as to how bad. Being positive and looking at the team through very very very thick purple shades is not going to change the actual facts. Nor is it going to make the team play better, or get us into the playoffs. Hard work from our dreadful coaching staff and some of the players stepping up is the only thing that could possibly help.

The only ACTUAL FACTS in this post is that we're 5-2... Everything else is subjective interpretation... Just saying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users