36 replies to this topic

#1 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:07 AM

Anybody have any ideas of who the Ravens could target at either of these positions. Terrence Cody has been embarrassing and with his lack of effort we should bring in someone better. Pernell McPhee and Art Jones haven't really done much to help the Defensive End position either.

Any possible players we could target?

2yno6dx.png

#2 HoldingCall

HoldingCall

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:25 AM

Maybe now that Suggs is back the DL will become more successful and motivated. McPhee and Cody both performed better last season with Suggs in the games.

#3 akacrow

akacrow

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:55 AM

McPhee only played in sub packages last season. On passing downs Redding and Jarret Johnson were replaced by McPhee and Kruger. When an offense ran against our sub package we were gashed for yardage.

Fortunately when an offense rushes for 8 yards on 3rd and 10 the result is a punt. This season we have our passing down personnel playing every down. Of course we are getting gashed in the run.

The defense needs a 2 gap defensive lineman to play LDE, and bring in MCPhee on passing downs just like we did last season. Let Upshaw play in J.J.s role, and bring in Kruger like last season.

If it works, keep doing it, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

#4 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:56 AM

I like the Seahawks NT/DT Alan Branch and DT/DE Jason Jones, playing in a hybrid defense like ours they're more versatile with less hype than the cream of the UFA class like Freeney, Avril and Melton. If they were on the squad now they would both be starting regardless of base formation.

Branch in particular stands out to me because he's more than a typical two down NT, he's quietly emerged as a disruptive interior rusher.

#5 frank21054

frank21054

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

I like the Seahawks NT/DT Alan Branch and DT/DE Jason Jones, playing in a hybrid defense like ours they're more versatile with less hype than the cream of the UFA class like Freeney, Avril and Melton. If they were on the squad now they would both be starting regardless of base formation.

Branch in particular stands out to me because he's more than a typical two down NT, he's quietly emerged as a disruptive interior rusher.

Only problem here is Seattle is not trading these guys have they are part of that successful defensive unit

#6 omar586

omar586

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

it might be a scheme thing more than personnel, in 4-3 we have more success than 3-4.

#7 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,391 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

it might be a scheme thing more than personnel, in 4-3 we have more success than 3-4.

No its a personnel thing. We have always shown multiple fronts.

@gabefergy

#8 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,633 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

Does a 4-3 magically make players better at shedding blocks and making tackles?

#9 Dfence4champs2052

Dfence4champs2052

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:50 PM

We actually use a hybrid scheme featuring both.
<p>Posted Image
SIG COURTESY OF BALTIMOREFLACCO!

IT IS A CRIME RAY LEWIS HAS NOT BEEN BACK TO THE SUPERBOWL!!!

#10 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,689 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

Does a 4-3 magically make players better at shedding blocks and making tackles?

It might help with shedding blocks.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#11 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,633 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

It might help with shedding blocks.

Not necessarily. I know what you're alluding to, but a scheme change won't necessarily aid that. A lot of people associate the 3-4 defense with defensive linemen getting double teamed and linebackers running free, but in our case, our defensive linemen don't even need to be doubled. Our defensive linemen are getting killed in one on one matchups. Another misunderstanding is that defensive linemen aren't doubled in a 4-3. Defensive tackles are still doubled often in a 4-3. The scheme doesn't dictate who gets doubled; the talent level of the lineman does.

Edited by The Raven, 29 October 2012 - 05:56 PM.

#12 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,689 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

Not necessarily. I know what you're alluding to, but a scheme change won't necessarily aid that. A lot of people associate the 3-4 defense with defensive linemen getting double teamed and linebackers running free, but in our case, our defensive linemen don't even need to be doubled. Our defensive linemen are getting killed in one on one matchups. Another misunderstanding is that defensive linemen aren't doubled in a 4-3. Defensive tackles are still doubled often in a 4-3. The scheme doesn't dictate who gets doubled; the talent level of the lineman does.

I get what your saying and i agree with alot of it. But now that we have Suggs back I think it would be okay. Suggs,Kemo,Cody, Ngata would be our lineman. I know our LBs are the greatest at covering but I think we would be ablr to stop the run/pass rush a little better. Might not be great but perhaps better then what we currently have. I dont know.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#13 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,633 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

I get what your saying and i agree with alot of it. But now that we have Suggs back I think it would be okay. Suggs,Kemo,Cody, Ngata would be our lineman. I know our LBs are the greatest at covering but I think we would be ablr to stop the run/pass rush a little better. Might not be great but perhaps better then what we currently have. I dont know.

If we hypothetically ran more 4-3 fronts, I would much rather have Suggs - Ngata - Jones/McPhee - Upshaw.

Cody and Kemo are awful and I'd like to keep them off the field as much as possible. Ngata's talent would be misused as a 4-3 end.

#14 Blex64

Blex64

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

I don't know why people are abusing Cody. He's actually been pretty decent. Certainly not bad enough to put this on his shoulders. Jones, Kruger, and Kemo have far and away been our worst performers.

Hopefully with Suggs back play as a whole improves. I don't think its solely a personnel issue though. The difference is far too drastic.

#15 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,633 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

I don't know why people are abusing Cody. He's actually been pretty decent. Certainly not bad enough to put this on his shoulders. Jones, Kruger, and Kemo have far and away been our worst performers.

Hopefully with Suggs back play as a whole improves. I don't think its solely a personnel issue though. The difference is far too drastic.

No. Sorry. Cody is the worst player on the defense.

#16 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

No. Sorry. Cody is the worst player on the defense.

Williams?
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#17 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,633 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

Williams?

Cary is used incorrectly. Cody is 350 pounds and gets routinely killed by centers 50 pounds lighter. No excuse!

#18 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,557 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:44 PM

Goodness, here we go with the 4-3 jazz again...it was a bad idea last week, still a bad idea this week
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#19 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:27 PM

Only problem here is Seattle is not trading these guys have they are part of that successful defensive unit

As I mentioned they're UFA and will only have enough money to extend one.

#20 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,597 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

Cody has been getting blown back by interior linemen, one-on-one. When you're a NT then that's pretty bad. He & Kemo are competing for worst linemen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users