Ravens-Saints Gameday      LISTEN LIVE      You Pick The Team      Kickoff Week   

Photo

Bye Week Magic

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

Isn't it not weird that folks think a bye week is supposed to be a time for magic to happen. The players take a week off so in reality it is a normal week to correct issues after the bye week. Our issues just cannot be fixed within a single week. The sooner we realize and face the fact that the players we have just do not have th etalent to give us what we expect the better off we will be. Our defense is not very good and it is not Pee's it is the players lack of talent.

From Cody to Smith to Williams they do not have the talent to give us what we expect out of our defense.

Our offense is not that good either but they will get much better i think. They just need time.

I only think the offense will improve as they need to learn to play as a unit and that takes time but on defense each player has a single job and our guys just are not what we expect from a Ravens Defense.

Smith, old habits are hard to break and he just has to many bad habits.
Cary Williams is either still recovering or is nothing more then a decent back up in a starters role.

Cody gets blown backwards on every play and usually is looking at the sky when the play is done.

You cannot recover from having all of these weaknesses on one team. If it were just Williams or Smith alone as an issue then yes Reed could help but it just isn't. The only way we win with this defense is to control the clock with like 40 to 20.

I think we are going back to the run and that will help a lot. Keep our defense off of the field. Kind of like keeping a drunk driver off of the road during rush hour.
This spot reserved for Super Bowl celebratory images !!

#2 rlh445

rlh445

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

Give it a rest, pest. Bye weeks are great not only for the body, but for the mind. Having a stretch of days in which they (the players) don't have to think at all about football is a much bigger deal then you make it out to be. Countless players over the years have commented on the fact that the bye routinely works wonders for them.

This is football, not teacups with the Queen.

#3 NFLGirl

NFLGirl

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

I don't think anyone really expects a like-magic change during the Bye week. I think it's more a matter of hope. Though, as rlh445 pointed out, a short rest and a break when things are bad could be enough to lift morale, give over worked muscles a chance to recover, and a chance to breathe. Once they have a chance to breathe, it'll be easier to re-evaluate what you as a player can do better to help your team.

While it might be difficult to explain, it's hard to deny that the bye week has been known to make a change in a team for better and for worse. There have been times when we are really in our stride, hit our bye week and BAM! we forgot how to play football.

So, I think you make a valid point in the fact the bye week will not solve all of our problems... but I think it's important to remember that the smallest improvements can really make the difference.

#4 EricH

EricH

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:10 AM

The sooner we realize and face the fact that the players we have just do not have th etalent to give us what we expect the better off we will be.

I never understood this logic.
The sooner we realize we suck, the better we will be? That is a bit of an oxymoron, isn't it?

I am one that is back to sticking my head in the sand and thinking we are better than what most think from last week's loss. To me the ridiculous play calling got us in a no win situation. Once we got behind, Joe got frazzled and we never recovered.
Let's not forget how our defense shut down the Texans the first 2 drives and our offense marched the field.
The safety and then the INT killed us.

I think we are a better team if we simplify our play calling...for now. But I am far from saying "We suck; accept it".

#5 billick

billick

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

We shall see. Harbs has neverout game planned any team yet.

We win with Pro Bowl talent. How many Pro bowlers do we have at this time ?

Reed is not a tackling machine, and Haloti limps slower and slower with every game. If we cant stop the run, we are not a Super Bowl contender. Which corner can now play in the box, and stuff the run ? I see no one who can do that.

JH has spoken, and he feels we have things to correct. He will have his chances. The results will be clear, soon.
Offensive Genuis & Quarterback Guru

#6 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:05 AM

There's a reason most teams win coming off a bye. While I agree that the defense has some work to do, I wouldnt discount how much of an impact getting Sizzle back will have. For the same reasons we struggled early in the season, now that we have the DPOY back he will raise the play of others.

@gabefergy

#7 PurpleCityLights

PurpleCityLights

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

There's a reason most teams win coming off a bye. While I agree that the defense has some work to do, I wouldnt discount how much of an impact getting Sizzle back will have. For the same reasons we struggled early in the season, now that we have the DPOY back he will raise the play of others.

I'm going play devil's advocate..........what happens if we lose?
The D sucks and Flacco along with Cam have had
Bad back 2 back games in Kansas and a Houston so I'm asking what needs to be done if we lose to
The Cleveland Browns?

Edited by PurpleCityLights, 27 October 2012 - 11:18 AM.

#8 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,001 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

I avoid these boards for a week.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#9 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

The D sucks and Flacco along with Cam have had
Bad back 2 back games in Kansas and a Houston so I'm asking what needs to be done if we lose to
The Cleveland Browns?

To me that would be a really bad sign. It wouldn't mean the season is over, but now is the time to fix our problems and if that doesnt happen Im starting to get worried.

@gabefergy

#10 poescrows

poescrows

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

A loss to the Browns, on a small scale, would mean that even an extra week wasn't enough time to fix the problems, or at least make some headway getting them resolved. When you have a free week (no time spent game planning for next opponent) to concentrate only on fundamentaly getting better and still can't, it may be time to look from the top down for changes. On a large scale, a loss to the Browns could be devistating to the season, depending on what the Steelers do this and next week. Lets go Skins!..............uhg, now I need some Orbit gum.
Hey Steeler fans......we now have 2 rings. One for each middle finger! TADA GAN IARRACHT

#11 VabchRavens

VabchRavens

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:28 PM

I believe they started 4-2 in 2007, and look how that finished. I could see it turning into that type of season if they lose to the Browns. Or, it could just be a loss to a divisional opponent.

#12 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,651 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:47 PM

That post was crazy.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users