Ravens at Texans      Roster      Game Rewind   

Photo

Bobby Rainey to be put back on active roster

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#1 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,206 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

Aaron Wilson@RavensInsider
Ravens to promote Bobby Rainey to active roster from practice squad, according to a league source.

Interesting choice here. Harbaugh meant it when he said BPA, not a specific position.

Edit to mention that it's also his birthday. Pretty nice gift!

Edited by rmw10, 16 October 2012 - 01:44 PM.

#2 cursona pirate

cursona pirate

Pickle Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,967 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

Happy Birthday Mr. Rainey!!!

12540_520124434672144_755007992_n.jpg

Pitta Hut is now open! WE ALWAYS DELIVER.

#3 redrum52

redrum52

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

I don't think he over should've been taken off. Do we still have tho rookie drafted mlb or Bynes?

#4 MTRavensFan

MTRavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

Awesome!
I guess Harbs is serious about offense and special teams carrying the load.
Unexpected move, but the kid has earned his shot.

"I would suggest not wringing those hands so hard that you sprain them. Take a chill pill." - Eisenbergf4ia7s.jpg

#5 redlobster

redlobster

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

ehh would have preferred to see hamilton get a shot

#6 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

What in the hell purpose is he going to serve? We have Rice, Pierce, Allen, and Rainey all dressed at the HB position now. Unless he plans to deactivate Allen, which would be counterintuitive to his original "I don't want two rookie HBs backing up Rice" logic, then I don't see what Rainey is going to do on game days to replace two guys who didn't play on Special Teams anyways.

#7 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,756 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

Rainey has been promoted but there's no guarantee he'll be active on game-days.
"...when Sean Taylor is in the neighborhood, you will feel him." - Al Michaels

Posted Image

ER20 takes off and then gets distracted by a debate going on...

#8 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,278 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

What in the hell purpose is he going to serve? We have Rice, Pierce, Allen, and Rainey all dressed at the HB position now. Unless he plans to deactivate Allen, which would be counterintuitive to his original "I don't want two rookie HBs backing up Rice" logic, then I don't see what Rainey is going to do on game days to replace two guys who didn't play on Special Teams anyways.

My suspicion is that he's learned to play special teams now and he'll replace one of the LBs we've had there as that person's ST responsibilities are reduced.
15fqib6.jpg

#9 PWNEDbyDEANO

PWNEDbyDEANO

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

While I was really disappointed to see Rainey get cut just before the first regular season game, I also feel that we would have been better off promoting someone else because the running game isn't struggling.

#10 redlobster

redlobster

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

Makes absolutely no sense, unless he is to return kicks in place of thompson or play special teams?

Edited by redlobster, 16 October 2012 - 02:16 PM.

#11 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

My suspicion is that he's learned to play special teams now and he'll replace one of the LBs we've had there as that person's ST responsibilities are reduced.

Ayenbadejo....oh no.

#12 theblackdog

theblackdog

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

Ayenbadejo....oh no.

Maybe it's time to see if Ayanbadejo can fill in or if he should stick with ST.
Posted Image
Thanks to Kia Kaha for the sig!

#13 ravens88

ravens88

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

if a line backer or defensive back is getting a larger role due to the injuries we suffered they may reduce his special teams role therefore having rainey in. only conclusion i can draw unless were running 2 back set with two dangerous recieving running backs......

#14 SideStep77

SideStep77

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

I guess they feel he is surpassing Allen in categories he could be active on gameday. I guess special teams and he could take a ST spot from a LB we need to use more on D. Says Allen is now on the PS.
#82 #15 Maryland Pride. Go Terps. Go Ravens.
SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!

#15 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,206 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:39 PM

I guess they feel he is surpassing Allen in categories he could be active on gameday. I guess special teams and he could take a ST spot from a LB we need to use more on D. Says Allen is now on the PS.

Allen on the PS has to be a mistake. Since he played 6 games this year, in addition to his 5 last year, he is no longer eligible.

#16 ravensfan160

ravensfan160

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

ehh would have preferred to see hamilton get a shot

I agree. It may still happen though. They still need to promote someone to take Lewis's spot.

1) Harbaugh has said that it is Hamilton's inability to play special teams that has kept him of the active roster. But if he is replacing Ray Lewis he won't have to play special teams since Ray obviously never did.

2) Albert McClellan is an option to replace Lewis at ILB so it makes sense to promote another OLB to take McClellan's spot.

3) WE NEED A PASS RUSH. Enough said.

#17 harfordravenfan

harfordravenfan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:44 PM

if a line backer or defensive back is getting a larger role due to the injuries we suffered they may reduce his special teams role therefore having rainey in. only conclusion i can draw unless were running 2 back set with two dangerous recieving running backs......

About what I can think of with this move (your first guess that is), like others I expected to see Hamilton? Or Byrnes brought up but I'm certain our front office has a plan & knows more then us. Besides, still at least one move to make but wouldn't surprise me to see a couple happen.

#18 harfordravenfan

harfordravenfan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

I agree. It may still happen though. They still need to promote someone to take Lewis's spot.

1) Harbaugh has said that it is Hamilton's inability to play special teams that has kept him of the active roster. But if he is replacing Ray Lewis he won't have to play special teams since Ray obviously never did.

2) Albert McClellan is an option to replace Lewis at ILB so it makes sense to promote another OLB to take McClellan's spot.

3) WE NEED A PASS RUSH. Enough said.

But we have Kruger :-)
Lol, just kidding. I agree with ya and still think we'll see Hamilton brought up

#19 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,058 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:50 PM

I think we will see Ayanbadejo more on passing downs. He played well in that role last season and there is always the option that McClellan can some snaps inside as well.

I like Bobby Rainey a lot and I think it was just a numbers game as to why he was demoted to the PS in the first place. Now there is an extra roster spot so he is the best player available.

I can see why giving Hamilton a chance is appealing, but I think maybe Kindle will be given a shot first. If he flops after getting a legit opportunity he may either be demoted or let go with Hamilton the man to replace him.

Edited by gabefergy, 16 October 2012 - 02:51 PM.

Blitz every down! It's the only way to win!

#20 big hits and ball hawks

big hits and ball hawks

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

I think we will see Ayanbadejo more on passing downs. He played well in that role last season and there is always the option that McClellan can some snaps inside as well.

I like Bobby Rainey a lot and I think it was just a numbers game as to why he was demoted to the PS in the first place. Now there is an extra roster spot so he is the best player available.

I can see why giving Hamilton a chance is appealing, but I think maybe Kindle will be given a shot first. If he flops after getting a legit opportunity he may either be demoted or let go with Hamilton the man to replace him.

I figured if we didn't promote Hamilton, this would be the reason why. I was surprised by the Rainey choice, but after reading this thread it makes sense.