353 replies to this topic

#1 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:49 PM

I realize that we still haven't played Dallas. I realize that we shouldn't be overlooking the Cowboys. And I realize our team hasn't even started to think about Houston. But after watching Houston escape the Meadowlands I couldn't contain my angst to start talking about this game a week early.

The perfect Texans (currently 5-0) will be waiting for us at Reliant Stadium. They'll be looking for revenge after we bounced them out of the playoffs and they'll be eager to make a statement against an AFC power. We have our work cut out for us but I think this game is winnable after seeing the game tonight in New York.

I'm not downplaying the importance of our division games or the ever looming games against hated Pittsburgh, but I sincerely believe that this is the game of the regular season for this 2012 Baltimore Ravens team. At this early stage of the season they are the most complete team and may very well give our team the greatest test they'll get all season long. Knocking Houston from the ranks of the undefeateds will be a daunting challenge. But a challenge I think our squad is prepared and eager to face.

Their defense has weaknesses. The Jets found success with quick slants, screen passes to their backs, and even made a long touchdown down the seam to a no-name tight end. If we expect to produce points against Houston we'll need to find ways to neutralize their pass rush and stop the likes of JJ Watt and Brooks Reed in their tracks. Our inexperienced offensive line will face their greatest test to date but I'm optimistic that they can hold off the rush long enough for Joe to get some throws to Rice, the tight ends, and Q in the slot. Their secondary has its flaws and if we play our game they can be exposed.

Their offense is a major concern. Foster is a machine running behind one of the very best lines in the league. A line that churns out rushing yards and has only allowed THREE SACKS all year. With the youth on our front 7 we'll need to rely on Ray and Haloti to command their troops with precision in both pass rushing and run stopping. Gap integrity will be crucial against the zone blocking scheme (a scheme we should be accustomed to since it is a system we now implement). The positive is that Schaub continues to show some inconsistency. He made some suspect throws tonight and what I saw to be an ugly interception to Cromartie. But there is always Andre Johnson roving the field for a back breaking reception. The likes of Cary and Jimmy will need to be on their A-game and we may very well need an interception from Webb or ED.

Their special teams might be susceptible. New York returned a kickoff for a touchdown, faked a punt for a 4th down conversion, and SHOULD have had an onside kick recovered. There isn't a doubt in my mind that the special teams coordinator in Harbs is fast at work thinking of ways to keep us in the game if we need a big play from our special teams.

We have insider information with the likes of Leach, Pollard, and Jones on our roster. Take it for what it's worth but these guys may very well know a tell or two that could swing the game in our favor.

The Texans are going to come out pissed off and firing on all cylinders against our guys. Their dome is going to be deafening and we'll need to be prepared. We escaped Houston a couple of years back off of a walk-off interception return and I expect another dog fight this year. I think we'll need a 'perfect' game to come out of Houston with a win, and I think that is more than doable for this team. For us to make it to where we intend on going we have to beat the best. That started with New England and will continue in Houston against the Texans. This game is huge as it has enormous playoff implications and tiebreaker potential.

Here's to rolling over Dallas, using that momentum to play the Texans with our brand of football, and head into the bye at 6-1. GO RAVENS, and GO O's.

Edited by BMORElegacy, 09 October 2012 - 01:40 AM.

"No weapon forged against us shall prosper. And every tongue which rises against us in judgment, we shall condemn."

#2 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,427 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:50 AM

Schaub is a choker. He cant play against the best defenses...unfortunately for us, our defense has not being playing anywhere nnear it's potential thus far. But I'm certain that their A game cannot match our a game,, so lets see who wants it more.
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#3 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:59 AM

To be honest, Foster could rake something like 180 yards on us. That offense found ways for him to get off against our healthy Chuck Pagano/ aggressive defense in the playoffs last year, this may not go too well if adjustments aren't made. If the Ravens do a good job against Demarco Murray this week I'll feel more optimistic, but I really don't know. Just being honest about it. Here's to our Baltimore offense firing on all cylinders come week 7!

1Untitled_zps8afd95ac.pngbench_zps0a7ce32d.jpg

#4 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,427 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:01 AM

Looks like Cushing is done for the year with a torn ACL.
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#5 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:09 AM

Looks like Cushing is done for the year with a torn ACL.

I saw him go down in the game tonight. That would help our run game IMMENSELY.
"No weapon forged against us shall prosper. And every tongue which rises against us in judgment, we shall condemn."

#6 Purple Nurple

Purple Nurple

Telling It Like It Is Since 1974

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,694 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:12 AM

The cockiest guy in the nfl is hurt?

Ruh Ro.

newsigg2_zps9e6531bd.jpg

#7 ratedr

ratedr

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,518 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:27 AM

Extended rest? Houston doesn't have a bye next week.

#8 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:39 AM

Extended rest? Houston doesn't have a bye next week.

My bad, for some reason i got them mixed up with Dallas... And then I thought they had a Thursday Night game and got an extra 3 days. I have no idea how my brain works sometimes.

#9 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:41 AM

The cockiest guy in the nfl is hurt?

Ruh Ro.

The steroidiest guy too.

#10 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:53 AM

Houston plays Green Bay next week so we should get a great feel for how they defend against various looks in the passing game.

#11 HaX

HaX

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:29 AM

i'm confident here

#12 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:44 AM

i'm confident here

That makes one of us. I'm confident that our best can beat their best, but if a team shows up in two weeks that has any resemblance to the team that took the field in KC it'll be a long and ugly game.

#13 baltravens

baltravens

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:10 AM

After beating KC by 3 points I am only focused on the Cowboys, our next opponent. We try to play Houston before Dallas in our minds, and you know what happens.

#14 jaege

jaege

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:39 AM

That makes one of us. I'm confident that our best can beat their best, but if a team shows up in two weeks that has any resemblance to the team that took the field in KC it'll be a long and ugly game.

If that happens it wont be a long game, but it will be ugly.
It's so nice to be insane...

CAM GOT FIRED!!!!!

Joe Cool is the MAN!!!

Ravens

World Champions

#15 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,140 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:22 AM

If we don't stop jj watt we could come out with another three field goals. He's the guy I'm most afraid of, not foster or Andre, but a second year 34 defensive end.

That says more about our oline play than anything else

#16 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,451 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:32 AM

I'm more scared of their running attack than anything else. Just dont see how we'll stop Foster and Tate. (If Tate plays).

I guess its something about us vs zone running schemes? I don't know what it iis but our run d is flat out embarrassing.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#17 callahan09

callahan09

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:48 AM

Here is the key to the game: Joe Flacco must be aware of JJ Watt at all times. He will get around our O Line and try to sack Flacco from behind. He will hurry him up. He will hop up and deflect passes. Flacco needs to be aware of him on the field the way the announcers always talk about opposing QBs needing to be aware of Ed Reed when they play against us. If Flacco doesn't keep his eye on what JJ Watt is doing, there will be sack fumbles and tipped balls that turn into interceptions all night long.

#18 funky141

funky141

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:04 AM

Schaub is a choker. He cant play against the best defenses...unfortunately for us, our defense has not being playing anywhere nnear it's potential thus far. But I'm certain that their A game cannot match our a game,, so lets see who wants it more.

Schaub is not a choker in my opinion but he does get injured at times.
Unfortunately, the Ravens defense is what you see now. Maybe if Suggs can come back it can improve but the defense is what it is...middle of the pack this year...But the offense can carry the defense and it will need to to win some games.

#19 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,427 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

Schaub is not a choker in my opinion but he does get injured at times.
Unfortunately, the Ravens defense is what you see now. Maybe if Suggs can come back it can improve but the defense is what it is...middle of the pack this year...But the offense can carry the defense and it will need to to win some games.

Choker was a bad word, since Schaub doesn't get his team to the postseason, lol....what I meant was, when he plays a tough defense (like last time we faced him, for example, when our defense was playing at a level we are more accustomed to), he does little...he only bullies the bottom level and mediocre defenses.

#20 CapoRocky

CapoRocky

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,171 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

For what it's worth, I have penciled this game and the one against the Chargers as losses when the schedule came out. I'm not saying that we won't win it, but they have a great potential to be a loss because it's on the road and they are still hurting over the playoff game. The Chargers game is also because it's on the road, it's sandwiched between two Steelers games, and they blew us out last season at home. I always hope for the best, but I still think that we need to be prepared to accept whatever happens.

Super Bowl Champions 01/28/01 and 02/03/13!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users