Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SecretAgentMan

Why Pees Haters Are Wrong (Or Possibly Not)

260 posts in this topic

Pees is conservative, but he is a smart D cordinator. He led the pats to two SB (Brady imo is not a hall of famer without him). Heres why we are ranked so low

The D is unexperienced.
This year, we have nine players who have a year of starting experience on D.
Mcphee, Kruger, Upshaw, Albert, Art, and Kindle have never started ever. They will get better as the season goes on.

Suggs- the Magic Johnson of OLB's.
His very presence on the field allowed others to get sacks, when he comes back he wont be the same tho. He will be more of a JJ. Achillies injuries are not taken lightly.

Cary Williams piss poor play.
Everyone else in the secodary has been doing well. Cary goes one one one against their best IDK why. We need to put him at nickel and put Jimmy (who needs experience) against their best. Jimmy has been good so far.

We are a young D, two years we will be back on the top (once we draft Eric Reid, Teo, or William Gholston)

I second this. People are so quick to jump at Pees. Like today, we knew the run was coming we couldn't stop it. We were playing the run but its still up to the players to shed their blocks and get a hand on the runner.

This team could not foresee losing Suggs. If we knew that, we probably wouldn't have let JJ and Redding go. The loss of Suggs set our defense back. Our front 7 are a young bunch and they are inconsistent, but they are only going to improve.

The personnel (which could eventually be our strength) is our weakness right now.

If we finish in the top half of the league in defense all will be good. Even though thats not something we Ravens fans will be used to, I would be happy with it. There has been a lot of different changes from our D over the year, I knew it wouldnt be like last years but not this bad.

As right now I have never been more concerned about our defense, ever. - But the season is still young, we just got to fix it up.

[quote name='Ravens<3' timestamp='1349648253' post='1180807']
If we finish in the top half of the league in defense all will be good. Even though thats not something we Ravens fans will be used to, I would be happy with it. There has been a lot of different changes from our D over the year, I knew it wouldnt be like last years but not this bad.

As right now I have never been more concerned about our defense, ever. - But the season is still young, we just got to fix it up.
[/quote]
Pees will be leathal is Suggs comes back as half the player he used to be.

[quote name='PuRock' timestamp='1349647966' post='1180798']
I second this. People are so quick to jump at Pees. Like today, we knew the run was coming we couldn't stop it. We were playing the run but its still up to the players to shed their blocks and get a hand on the runner.

This team could not foresee losing Suggs. If we knew that, we probably wouldn't have let JJ and Redding go. The loss of Suggs set our defense back. Our front 7 are a young bunch and they are inconsistent, but they are only going to improve.

The personnel (which could eventually be our strength) is our weakness right now.
[/quote]

we should stop saying "if we knew about sizzle"... it was a bad decision for our organisation to let JJ and Redding go, just relying on youngsters... end off, so now we roll we what we got and coordinators should do their best to maximise every player's input... i'll wait to share judgement on Pees until sizzle is back... until then i'm just not convinced

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1349648458' post='1180817']
Pees will be leathal is Suggs comes back as half the player he used to be.
[/quote]
I sure hope so. Suggs absense definitely has affected the way we blitz, play the run and use subs. He has been greatly missed.

The other problem we have had this year is just simple execution.

[quote name='horus13corvineus' timestamp='1349648479' post='1180819']
we should stop saying "if we knew about sizzle"... [b]it was a bad decision for our organisation to JJ and Redding go, just relying on youngsters... end off,[/b] so now we roll we what we got and coordinators should do their best to maximise every player's input... i'll wait t share judgement on Pees until sizzle is back... until then i'm just not convinced
[/quote]

I don't think it was though with the assumption Suggs would be at full speed. JJ's salary was enormous. We had just drafted a first round talent (who also got injured). The call was right at the time (would've like to kept Redding), but we got burned.

He has improved from the first few weeks...The philly game was horrible play calling but he is ok i guess....Hes just so vanilla....

he used the corners like they should be used today. hopefully he keeps them close to the receivers more than just when we play QB's like cassel though. our defense played physical (even though all those rushing yards wouldn't suggest that) and we created turnovers because of it. i'll see moving forward what opinion i have of him.

I agree. I'm not going to be over critical about our D. We are without our best player on top of losing two consistently good vets. As hard as it is to watch our defense, they've kept the team in it these last 2 games.

[quote name='Markus92' timestamp='1349648904' post='1180837']
He has improved from the first few weeks...The philly game was horrible play calling but he is ok i guess....[b]Hes just so vanilla....[/b]
[/quote]

A big part of the reason he has to be vanilla is because of the personnel. Going blitz-heavy would be risky, especially with the a number of LBs and DBs struggling in coverage.

Pees impressed me with the half time adjustments.
The run was killing us today. If not for the adjustments at half time this would have been a loss.

[quote name='horus13corvineus' timestamp='1349648479' post='1180819']

it was a bad decision for our organisation to let JJ and Redding go,
[/quote]

It was a great descision.
It was ecconomics. Had we kept JJ and Redding, its likely Rice would not have worked a deal, Webb might not have gotten the deal he did, we likely would not have Jacoby Jones, who has been a tremendous assette.
Yes JJ and Redding were fantastic players and the team suffers from them not being here, the fact of the matter is we have a cap that dictates many of our descisions.

[quote name='K-Dog' timestamp='1349649924' post='1180871']
The run was killing us today. If not for the adjustments at half time this would have been a loss.

It was a great descision.
It was ecconomics. Had we kept JJ and Redding, its likely Rice would not have worked a deal, Webb might not have gotten the deal he did, we likely would not have Jacoby Jones, who has been a tremendous assette.
Yes JJ and Redding were fantastic players and the team suffers from them not being here, the fact of the matter is we have a cap that dictates many of our descisions.
[/quote]
Anyawy, yes the economics are correct, JJ hada massive contract, but I do think that Redding was a bit unreasonable.

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1349650059' post='1180874']
Anyawy, yes the economics are correct, JJ hada massive contract, but I do think that Redding was a bit unreasonable.
[/quote]

Redding was a free agent and the team understandably felt confident in the young d-lineman. Had Suggs not gotten hurt, I don't think the run D would look nearly as leaky as it has.

[quote name='Ed_Reed20' timestamp='1349649603' post='1180857']
A big part of the reason he has to be vanilla is because of the personnel. Going blitz-heavy would be risky, especially with the a number of LBs and DBs struggling in coverage.
[/quote]
I guess thats true...But i feel that since we have no pass rush rushing 4 unlike every other team in the nfl you have to blitz or our corners have to cover for 6-7 seconds....

[quote name='Markus92' timestamp='1349650424' post='1180887']
I guess thats true...But i feel that since we have no pass rush rushing 4 unlike every other team in the nfl you have to blitz or our corners have to cover for 6-7 seconds....
[/quote]

And you just explained why Pees is in a hard spot.

Our defense is still very young and inexperienced. However, there are gems shining through that are helping us out in big moments. Be patient, there's still a lot of football left. I don't expect a whole lot to change when Suggs does return, but I believe the run D will get shored up.

[quote name='K-Dog' timestamp='1349649924' post='1180871']
[/quote]
Too bad they weren't first half adjustments.

I was impressed by nearly all of our defensive players today, and by Pees' ability to take an hour to figure out that he doesn't need to have his safeties 20 yards from the line of scrimmage when a team never throws the ball. I'm a bit disappointed in Jimmy Smith right now though. It seems like he responds to getting beat (which happens more often than I'd like) by grabbing the receiver, and that might bite us in the [profanity deleted] someday.

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1349647697' post='1180788']
Pees is conservative, but he is a smart D cordinator. He led the pats to two SB (Brady imo is not a hall of famer without him). Heres why we are ranked so low

The D is unexperienced.
Mcphee, Kruger, Upshaw, Albert, Art, and Kindle have never started ever. They will get better as the season goes on.

His very presence on the field allowed others to get sacks, when he comes back he wont be the same tho. He will be more of a JJ. Achillies injuries are not taken lightly.

Everyone else in the secodary has been doing well. Cary goes one one one against their best IDK why. We need to put him at nickel and put Jimmy (who needs experience) against their best. Jimmy has been good so far.

We are a young D, two years we will be back on the top (once we draft Eric Reid, Teo, or William Gholston)
[/quote]
Pees was not the DCoord for NE when they won all their Super Bowls. He was promoted in 2006, Mangini left for a HC after winning the Super Bowl as the DCoord in 2005.

Allll weeeee are saaaaayyyyiiinnngggg, is give Pees a chaaannnncccee.

I don't hate Pees, but I also don't feel he's an exceptional DCoord. It's obvious we're hurting in the front 7 with all the inexperience and to be blunt, lesser talent (right now) and that is affecting the secondary, but I'm just not sold on his coverages or zone blitzes. People are constantly comparing him to Mattison but to be honest I don't think that's fair to Mattison. I've said it a couple times but Mattison had an AWFUL secondary to work with and still managed to keep us in the top 5 for scoring defenses because his coverage schemes were more effective. We were in the same boat in 2009 that we are in now, with no one who could pass rush (Suggs was fat and incredibly slow), yet we were top 5. I just don't see the same creative zone blitz schemes from Pees that we've seen the last couple of years (people hated Mattison but he actually created some effective zone blitzes, he just rarely used them).

[quote name='Bltravens' timestamp='1349656784' post='1181141']
I don't hate Pees, but I also don't feel he's an exceptional DCoord. It's obvious we're hurting in the front 7 with all the inexperience and to be blunt, lesser talent (right now) and that is affecting the secondary, but I'm just not sold on his coverages or zone blitzes. People are constantly comparing him to Mattison but to be honest I don't think that's fair to Mattison. I've said it a couple times but Mattison had an AWFUL secondary to work with and still managed to keep us in the top 5 for scoring defenses because his coverage schemes were more effective. We were in the same boat in 2009 that we are in now, with no one who could pass rush (Suggs was fat and incredibly slow), yet we were top 5. I just don't see the same creative zone blitz schemes from Pees that we've seen the last couple of years (people hated Mattison but he actually created some effective zone blitzes, he just rarely used them).
[/quote]

Fat Suggs still drew double teams and was still exceptional against the run.

Pees made some excellent adjustments in the 2nd half regarding run defense.

The only problem I have is what took him so long ?

Pees made adjustments from one half to the other, no doubt. And from what I saw from the Chiefs 20 or so throws, he also didn't play hideously soft zone.

[quote name='NaveSenrag' timestamp='1349652949' post='1180989']

Too bad they weren't first half adjustments.

I was impressed by nearly all of our defensive players today, and by Pees' ability to take an hour to figure out that he doesn't need to have his safeties 20 yards from the line of scrimmage when a team never throws the ball. I'm a bit disappointed in Jimmy Smith right now though. It seems like he responds to getting beat (which happens more often than I'd like) by grabbing the receiver, and that might bite us in the [profanity deleted] someday.
[/quote]

One of the dirty little secrets about the NFL is that the best corners all hold. The key is to hold without tugging the jersey by hooking the shoulder pads. Webb does it, as do Revis, Woodson and Nnamdi. Jimmy just has to get better at not getting turned around but I think he's figured out what he can and can't do with his hands. That PI call was total trash, Bowe was literally bending him backwards.

[quote name='hawkprey' timestamp='1349661128' post='1181340']
Cary doesn't match up with their #1 on purpose. He lines up on the same spot every play.
[/quote]

Yea I like the scheme in that regard, it keeps our guys from ending up in physical mismatches (i.e. Webb v. Baldwin). My biggest problem with Cary is his lack of body control. He's very reckless with his movements and that's why he gets blown up for PI calls when he's tight on receivers. This causes him to play off coverage to allow more room to work, and the cycle continues...

Yeah, Pees haters are wrong because:

[b]1. Lost Starters[/b]: We lost JJ (LOLB), Redding (LDE). I am beginning to believe that Redding & Ngata made Cody look better than he is. Losing Redding was the worst blow we had. Jones & McPhee lack experienced, are injured (McPhee), and are struggling at times to win their one-on-one battles. McPhee to a lesser extent. I've actually liked what I've seen from McPhee, but he seems to keep getting hurt. Jones is good against the run, but he offers no pass rush at all. Cody hasn't had a lot of opportunities so it's difficult to judge but he has mixed results when in, which I find confusing because I thought he was always in the weight room in the off-season (or am I crazy?). Kemoeatu is awful.

[b]2. Injuries[/b]: McBean (DT), Suggs (ROLB), I think McBean would have been a better player than Kemeoatu. I've been very unimpressed with Kemo & Cody. I think things could be very different (obviously) if McBean hadn't broken his leg. I really like McBean, and I mentioned in the thread who would step up in the DTs and I said McBean (before he broke his leg). Man does it suck to lose him. I wish we were able to keep Kitchen. He has looked good so far. I'm wondering why we haven't used Bryan Hall, though. He looked pretty good. I'd like to see what he offers here pretty soon. Obviously, losing Suggs hurts. I don't think the OLBs would have been as bad initially if we hadn't lost Suggs. Having two new starters at OLBs is a difficult thing, which is why I agreed with the Ravens letting JJ walk. In hindsight it was a bad move, but it's only a bad move because of the Suggs injury. Without that injury the move is fine. Upshaw, Kruger, Kindle & McClellan were all supposed to be competing for that LOLB spot-not for the ROLB.

Those two things has caused chaos on our defense. The DL can't rush the passer, which causes the OLBs to work harder, which causes more time for the secondary to hold their assignments, which causes the QB to get more time in the pocket, which causes the secondary to lose their assignments and allows the QB to make plays. I also think the defense is getting tired. The defense looks beat, possibly due to the hurry-up offense--both from our offense and the opposing offenses. We have not been winning the TOP. That has been the biggest problem I have seen so far--not our defense. In fact, we held the Kansas City Chiefs to NO touchdowns. Not one. Yeah, there were turnovers, but not even Charles broke one. I find that impressive.

I've been watching JJ and Redding today and boy i took their presence for granted. they've been great. on topic, I'll let Pees go for a little while because now i have figured out our D-line hasn't just been bad, they've been god awful. Kemo and McPhee have just not got anything done at all even with the best DL in the game right next to you. i don't understand how your D can even hold up with the way they're playing. NT/DE should be our greatest concern this offseason. that will make the dancing bear happy.

[quote name='flynismo' timestamp='1349672752' post='1181724']
I know another reason they are wrong. It's week 5 of his first season with us.
[/quote]
True but it was the same with chuck (I'm praying for u man) and he was great. I'll give him that he had more talent, but we ain't talentless. Maybe we need to motivate more. We need to tell Cody that the qb or rb is a moving plate of bacon. Problem solved. Jk

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1349674520' post='1181744']
True but it was the same with chuck (I'm praying for u man) and he was great. I'll give him that he had more talent, but we ain't talentless. Maybe we need to motivate more. We need to tell Cody that the qb or rb is a moving plate of bacon. Problem solved. Jk
[/quote]

Not only did Pagano have more talent, he faced an absolute cupcake schedule (offensively)

We played SD, Houston (without Andre Johnson), and a whole lot of nobodies...

There are two problems with this defense, the first is Pees, and the second problem is Pees. Took him an entire half to figure out that the Chiefs were shredding the Ravens defensive sets. That should have been figured out and acted upon by the end of the 1st quarter at the latest. He's worse than Mattison, if thats even possible.

[quote name='flynismo' timestamp='1349676208' post='1181752']
Not only did Pagano have more talent, he faced an absolute cupcake schedule (offensively)

We played SD, Houston (without Andre Johnson, [b]and with a third string QB[/b]), and a whole lot of nobodies...
[/quote]

Yup and I have a feeling things will be much different in week 7 in their house

I can't hate on Pees...It's week 5 and we're 4-1 without Sizzle; a fact that looms large. Pees was a pretty good DC in New England and I think as the season goes on we get better.

Now the OC on the other hand...well that's another story.

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1349647697' post='1180788']

The D is unexperienced.

[/quote]

I don't have a problem with anything said except " he led the Pats to 2 SBs and Brady isn't a HOFer without him ?" And I realize its your opinion but why do u feel that way? The first 2 SuperBowls the defense paved the way for SuperBowls while Brady was more of manager with good run game, 3rd Superbowl was when Pees joined them as a Linebackers coach, and that team was when Brady and the offense began to take shape, Crommel and Mangini were still mainstays from previous SuperBowls. Pees was the D-Coordinator on the 16-0 team but that was powered by Offense that was nearly unstoppable all year. Pees may be good, but I'd give Belicheck, Crommel, Mangini more credit as Defensive minds over Pees ( not to mention Charlie Wies and McDaniels as OCs ).

That game vs Chiefs definitely will help the passing defense rankings ( and I'm sure the Run Defense won't be giving up 125 in first half again for a long time ) they were tough inte second half.

Even though Cary Williams finally has 2 INTs I still want to see how Jimmy Smith looks as a starter.

[quote name='beasy2487' timestamp='1349660658' post='1181315']
[b]Fat Suggs [/b]still drew double teams and was still exceptional against the run.
[/quote]

um hello he's not fat.

[quote name='LouieDaLug' timestamp='1349681805' post='1181771']
There are two problems with this defense, the first is Pees, and the second problem is Pees. Took him an entire half to figure out that the Chiefs were shredding the Ravens defensive sets. That should have been figured out and acted upon by the end of the 1st quarter at the latest. He's worse than Mattison, if thats even possible.
[/quote]

He stacked the box. What other adjustments are there?

Actually, you tell me. What would you have done differently sir? Pray tell.

When the execution improved, the defense improved. Simple as that.

[quote name='ThePurpleWall' timestamp='1349700832' post='1181828']
um hello he's not fat.
[/quote]

He was fat as hell in 2009, which he was referring to.

[quote name='ThePurpleWall' timestamp='1349700832' post='1181828']
um hello he's not fat.
[/quote]

...I was talking about Suggs two years ago when he admittedly showed up to camp 20 pounds overweight after getting his big contract.

You can scheme people to be better. As we've seen, being conservative gets us the 23rd ranked defense. And 10th in the Mattison days. But I won't completely get on the Pees hate train, but he irritates me at times!

If we could've convinced Fat Suggs that each sack in 09 came with a bucket a chicken he would have won MVP.

People will come around with Pees and I hope he actually stays for a little bit. Even under Mattison there was an adjustment period and people do forget the creampuff schedule we had last year. Offensively we didn't play many juggernauts. He's more aggressive pressure wise than people realize but I do wish we played more press coverage. I will give him credit for being able to make in game adjustments which the offense seems to struggle with. The d will only get better as the guys get more comfortable in the system.

[quote name='beasy2487' timestamp='1349660658' post='1181315']
Fat Suggs still drew double teams and was still exceptional against the run.
[/quote]
He was very good against the run, but he didn't draw conventional double teams like you may think. He was rarely chipped, mostly teams kept a back in to delay block then release. We still couldn't pass rush in 2009.

You can already see a very nice improvements on the part of Kruger and Upshaw. By the last third if the season those 2 will be making Pees look good and all should be back to normal.

[quote name='Bltravens' timestamp='1349712153' post='1181968']
He was very good against the run, but he didn't draw conventional double teams like you may think. He was rarely chipped, mostly teams kept a back in to delay block then release. We still couldn't pass rush in 2009.
[/quote]

I agree that we couldn't pass rush, I'm just saying Mattison was in a better situation with a virtually immobile Sizzle than Pees is with the current inexperience at the position.

[quote name='beasy2487' timestamp='1349731507' post='1182319']
I agree that we couldn't pass rush, I'm just saying Mattison was in a better situation with a virtually immobile Sizzle than Pees is with the current inexperience at the position.
[/quote]

In some ways yes, in others no. Mattison had garbage to work with in the secondary. That being said, we can't produce any sort of pressure even with a star studded secondary, so whatever.

OP d you ever watch Cary Williams? He is draped on their WRs usually. His technique is very solid. He gets thrown at alot because Webby is even better. But Webby gets thrown at too. Our corners play very solid coverage. Cary doesn't turn out alot of INTs but then again, he never gets torched either for big plays. CBs give up yards at times, thats a fact of life. Cary is as good as anyone else available out there. Webby is also a SLOT CB. Meaning he excels at for example shadowing a Wes Welker. Cary is a standard outside leverage trail technique CB. I dont understand the hate on him. He's no Revis,, but what I see on tape is a guy who plays solid. He's 10 times better than Fabian Washington ever was

[quote name='Ed_Reed20' timestamp='1349650235' post='1180878']

Redding was a free agent and the team understandably felt confident in the young d-lineman. Had Suggs not gotten hurt, I don't think the run D would look nearly as leaky as it has.
[/quote]
the pathetic nature in which our ends get off the ball would have me worried if I were a coach... I mean, none of these guys are even in shape for the NFL IMO... we have run stuffers that can't stuff the run.. go figure..

[quote name='chevalier' timestamp='1349747802' post='1182679']
OP d you ever watch Cary Williams? He is draped on their WRs usually. His technique is very solid. He gets thrown at alot because Webby is even better. But Webby gets thrown at too. Our corners play very solid coverage. Cary doesn't turn out alot of INTs but then again, he never gets torched either for big plays. CBs give up yards at times, thats a fact of life. Cary is as good as anyone else available out there. Webby is also a SLOT CB. Meaning he excels at for example shadowing a Wes Welker. Cary is a standard outside leverage trail technique CB. I dont understand the hate on him. He's no Revis,, but what I see on tape is a guy who plays solid. He's 10 times better than Fabian Washington ever was
[/quote]

The hate is about his complete lack of technique... he has his back to the QB too much, he's a big guy that can't get a jam at the line..