827 replies to this topic

#1 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,775 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:48 PM

Any fellow car nuts out there?? If so, what do you drive? If you dont have a car, what would you like to get?

Just bought a 1991 BMW 525i for a project car. In great shape, needs nothing really, so going to jump right into modding it.
Current plans are:

1. EAT chip
2. 3.46 LSD (stock is 3.23)
3. Schrick cams
4. 6 puck clutch
5. Black paint
6. OEM wheels from the current M5
7. HIDs and clear corners
8. AC Schnitzer front bumper

After that is done, going to drop in a big brake kit and some coilovers.
Possibly a turbo or supercharger down the road.

Goal is to simply update the exterior, and achieve a squeaky clean interior using mainly OEM parts in the interior. Ultimately, want this to be my "fun car"...something to take out on those days when I just feel like going out on a long, pointless drive in the country.

Also have a 1999 Mercedes ML320 as my daily driver; haven't done much to that other than some a/v stuff. Just got it last month; wrecked my 08 C class on New Years day.

Got rid of my 1993 300ZX a while back. Was my baby!! 388 HP @ the wheels, Ferrari Yellow paint.

Pics coming soon!
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#2 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,578 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:27 AM

I'm into ALL CARS/Trucks. I was born around motorsports and used to run my families auto shop.I've focused all my energy to my Xterra but plan to get a 67 Deuce in the next few years.
I'd like to get an Older 90' 190E 2.5 Benz

I drool over the AMG 300E Hammer

Edited by H8R, 26 April 2010 - 07:33 AM.

#3 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,775 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:07 AM

I'm into ALL CARS/Trucks. I was born around motorsports and used to run my families auto shop.I've focused all my energy to my Xterra but plan to get a 67 Deuce in the next few years.
I'd like to get an Older 90' 190E 2.5 Benz

I drool over the AMG 300E Hammer

The Hammers are still to this day absolutely gorgeous cars! Timeless is the word for them. Good choice!

What have you done with the Xterra? Lifted?
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#4 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,578 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:34 AM

Mods:

Exterior:

Custom Slime Green Burger
Wade in-channel visors
Xoskel light cage
(4)KC 6" daylighters
Raingler Grab Handles
!Running boards
!Mud flaps
VLEDS 5000k Hi/Low kit

Suspension and Tires:

PRG Heim-joint UCA's
PRG 3" Spacers
PRG Tie Rod ends
Timbren front Bump stops ( Not installed)
PRG Shim Kit ( not installed)
Bilstein 5100 series, Extended rear shocks (3-5")
33" Mickey Thompson MTZ Radials
PRG Adj. Shackles

Powertrain:

Volant CAI
AC Snorkel ( Order/Deposit placed )

Armor:

BTF M226 ( high Fill option, pending arrival)
Trail-gear Sliders

Edited by H8R, 26 April 2010 - 09:35 AM.

#5 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,775 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:11 AM

Any fellow car nuts out there?? If so, what do you drive? If you dont have a car, what would you like to get?

Just bought a 1991 BMW 525i for a project car. In great shape, needs nothing really, so going to jump right into modding it.
Current plans are:

1. EAT chip
2. 3.46 LSD (stock is 3.23)
3. Schrick cams
4. 6 puck clutch
5. Black paint
6. OEM wheels from the current M5
7. HIDs and clear corners
8. AC Schnitzer front bumper

After that is done, going to drop in a big brake kit and some coilovers.
Possibly a turbo or supercharger down the road.

Goal is to simply update the exterior, and achieve a squeaky clean interior using mainly OEM parts in the interior. Ultimately, want this to be my "fun car"...something to take out on those days when I just feel like going out on a long, pointless drive in the country.

Also have a 1999 Mercedes ML320 as my daily driver; haven't done much to that other than some a/v stuff. Just got it last month; wrecked my 08 C class on New Years day.

Got rid of my 1993 300ZX a while back. Was my baby!! 388 HP @ the wheels, Ferrari Yellow paint.

Pics coming soon!

*Edit*
Just in case anyone actually gives a crap, lol..

Not getting the EAT chip anymore, just placed an order for a Miller W.A.R. unit instead. It's completely customizeable from a laptop, and you can switch between four different states of tune that you created. Good stuff!! On a bone stock 525i it can draw out an extra 18-22 HP and 13-15 ft-lb, as well as raise redline to 7k RPM and removes the top speed reglator, so I'm excited to see how this performs after some mods.
Also swapping on the heads from an E36 M3. Wont gain much from flow itself, but gives me VANOS valvetrain, and more agressive cams and timing.

#6 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,578 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:02 PM

Will the W.A.R unit give you the ability to alter VANOS? The cams are prob. more aggressive but what are the @.050 numbers v.s. the stockers? Also, I guess you'll need all new timing components (chain, cam gears, crank sprocket, etc)? Are the E36 heads the same deck height? Will you get a compression bump from adding them?

#7 XxSizzleXx

XxSizzleXx

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:38 PM

1981 Chevrolet Malibu!
Sporting stock rims with chevy hubcaps with 1 new tire
Under the hood watch out for that 4.4L V8 putting out about 130hp

This folks is in all seriousness, she's the Malibanger!

#8 XxSizzleXx

XxSizzleXx

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:41 PM

The ole man is looking at selling his L.E. bike to invest in on a new ZL 575 Camaro, which would be saweeet.

It's a limited edition Camaro that has a stock supercharger in it, it's actually been dyno'd over 600 hp.

#9 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,775 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:59 PM

Will the W.A.R unit give you the ability to alter VANOS? The cams are prob. more aggressive but what are the @.050 numbers v.s. the stockers? Also, I guess you'll need all new timing components (chain, cam gears, crank sprocket, etc)? Are the E36 heads the same deck height? Will you get a compression bump from adding them?

Going to have to do some drilling and tapping to make it work, and will need some additional components as well...the heads from all the inline 6 of that era had similiar casting, which is a double edge sword for me. Great for compatibility, but the combustion chambers are the same, so that means compression ratio will be unchanged. But, I'm trying to find a thinner head gasket; that will give me a little boost in C/R if I can get hold of that.
The M3 (VANOS) cams have 20* more duration, but slightly less lift. One of the advantages will be that I can advance the timing more with the VANOS setup, but I dont think that the W.A.R. chip will let me adjust when the cams kick in. But it's a trade off that I'm okay with, since I can create custom fuel maps, etc., each time I install a new add on.

I really am thinking hard about going with a supercharger. Don't need (or want) a high boost setup, just want a nice kick in the rear in low- and mid- range...and thats where these things need it most. Acceleration out on the highway is nice, once at speed...downshift at 70 then floor it is a barrel of monkeys, lol...but from a stop, or pulling out of low speed turns, the motor is nothing special.

Have you had any projects prior to the Xterra? I'm a Nissan guy, but don't know very much about the X's.

#10 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,775 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:07 PM

1981 Chevrolet Malibu!
Sporting stock rims with chevy hubcaps with 1 new tire
Under the hood watch out for that 4.4L V8 putting out about 130hp

This folks is in all seriousness, she's the Malibanger!

Lol, I loved the 1 new tire.
I dont care who you are, we've all pulled that one before!

#11 XxSizzleXx

XxSizzleXx

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:54 AM

Going to have to do some drilling and tapping to make it work, and will need some additional components as well...the heads from all the inline 6 of that era had similiar casting, which is a double edge sword for me. Great for compatibility, but the combustion chambers are the same, so that means compression ratio will be unchanged. But, I'm trying to find a thinner head gasket; that will give me a little boost in C/R if I can get hold of that.
The M3 (VANOS) cams have 20* more duration, but slightly less lift. One of the advantages will be that I can advance the timing more with the VANOS setup, but I dont think that the W.A.R. chip will let me adjust when the cams kick in. But it's a trade off that I'm okay with, since I can create custom fuel maps, etc., each time I install a new add on.

I really am thinking hard about going with a supercharger
. Don't need (or want) a high boost setup, just want a nice kick in the rear in low- and mid- range...and thats where these things need it most. Acceleration out on the highway is nice, once at speed...downshift at 70 then floor it is a barrel of monkeys, lol...but from a stop, or pulling out of low speed turns, the motor is nothing special.

Have you had any projects prior to the Xterra? I'm a Nissan guy, but don't know very much about the X's.

DO IT!!! Superchargers are the way to go.

#12 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,578 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:32 AM

I really am thinking hard about going with a supercharger. Don't need (or want) a high boost setup, just want a nice kick in the rear in low- and mid- range...and thats where these things need it most. Acceleration out on the highway is nice, once at speed...downshift at 70 then floor it is a barrel of monkeys, lol...but from a stop, or pulling out of low speed turns, the motor is nothing special.

Sounds like a pretty trick set-up! As for the blower, I'd go with a p1-sc Procharger. The SC stands for self contained. No need to tap the oil pan or any other pressure oil source. The headunit is sealed and you can change the oil in that.
The P1SC is VERY efficient and you dont have to spin the crap out of it to make good poweer. Centrufugal blowers are nice but I'm a little bit biased to positive displacement blowers ( Roots, Screw )
because of the HUGE amounts of instant TQ. I wonder if someone makes a [ profanity deleted]. displacement blower for the Bimmer?

I've had a TON of projects before my X and have worked on race cars since I was about 14 y/o.

the X is a pretty sweet trail rig. Dana 44 rear, E-locking rear diff, hill descent mode and bunch of other goodies only found in the Off-Road version. The engine is based on the VQ out og the Z but is punched out to 4.0.

Edited by H8R, 27 April 2010 - 07:04 AM.

#13 McBoller

McBoller

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:58 AM

ugh, brings back memories of being able to spend money on a car. The last car I paid for a was a Mazdaspeed Protege back in 03. It was sweet, not much done to it but I loved it. Sold it to carmax in 05 when I got married and have been using "donated family cars" ever since. Current;y a rusted out, dented up 2000 Neon :th_shame:
Posted Image

#14 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,775 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:29 PM

Question for everyone...

Does anyone live near the Hanover PA area (located 7 miles from Maryland line, about 12 miles east of Gettysburg), and have some fabrication experience?

Basically what happened is that after some rethinking of what I want to do (and the fact that the cost of aftermarket parts for BMWs are ridiculous), I got a 1993 535i and am going to get rid of the 525i asap (PM me if you're interested... 148k miles, 5 speed, forest green, fully loaded, a couple minor cosmetic issues like a quarter sized dent in rear passenger door).

I am going to piece together a turbo system of my own. I still have the factory turbos from a 300zx I used to own, so I need to gather an IC, manifold, piping, etc etc.
In the mean time, the 535 needs other things done that I need to take care of first.

I've never taken on a project like this before (dropping a turbo into an N/A motor), and I suck with a welder. So........after I get everything together, I will need help fabricating all this.

Edited by maryland1, 02 May 2010 - 12:54 PM.
Solicitation.

#15 FlaccoFlicker

FlaccoFlicker

The Juggernaut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,712 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:21 AM

Ok not a car person per say but half awake and I actually read the Sub headed ,thouught this was a Motorhead threadas in the band,was reading and was like what in the hell,carry on fellas lol
Posted Image

Beat Me If You Can,Survive If I let You
StacyKeibler @flaccoflicker No, I am not in Baltimore right now so I wasn't there, but I was glad to see my team rock today!
when asked about the game
StacyKeibler @flaccoflicker READY!!

#16 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,775 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:38 AM

Ok not a car person per say but half awake and I actually read the Sub headed ,thouught this was a Motorhead threadas in the band,was reading and was like what in the hell,carry on fellas lol

Go back to bed, lol..

#17 Ravenmore74

Ravenmore74

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:43 PM

I'm driving my dads car right now that's kind hand me down.. At this point I'm over it. I want to some how find my way into the new ZL 575. I heard to many good things about a 600 horsepower Camaro to stay away from it....

#18 J-man

J-man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:34 PM

2006 Toyota Camry. Cream on the inside, clean on the outside.
#3hunna

Posted Image

#19 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,775 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 04:11 PM

I'm driving my dads car right now that's kind hand me down.. At this point I'm over it. I want to some how find my way into the new ZL 575. I heard to many good things about a 600 horsepower Camaro to stay away from it....

Certainly not a bad choice, but if it were me, I'd save a boat load of money and build my own 600 HP Camaro. LS1 + blower ftw.

I know a guy down that dropped an LS1 into his M-B C230, he's currently trying to fit an Eaton sc in it. With that and a stroke kit, he's expecting to get around 550-600HP, all for about 10k including labor and the swap.
So I'm trying to beat him in the cheapskate department :lol:
Want to get this turbo in my car for under $3000, and then laugh at him for spending all that money.
He'd probably get me on a track; I'm keeping the boost low; 8-10psi, even though with 9:0-1 stock compression and a stout stock bottom end I can push it a bit higher. He's the Ricky Racer of the bunch, lol, I just want some more mid range power for some fun in the twisties.

#20 Ravenmore74

Ravenmore74

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:02 PM

Certainly not a bad choice, but if it were me, I'd save a boat load of money and build my own 600 HP Camaro. LS1 + blower ftw.

I know a guy down that dropped an LS1 into his M-B C230, he's currently trying to fit an Eaton sc in it. With that and a stroke kit, he's expecting to get around 550-600HP, all for about 10k including labor and the swap.
So I'm trying to beat him in the cheapskate department :lol:
Want to get this turbo in my car for under $3000, and then laugh at him for spending all that money.
He'd probably get me on a track; I'm keeping the boost low; 8-10psi, even though with 9:0-1 stock compression and a stout stock bottom end I can push it a bit higher. He's the Ricky Racer of the bunch, lol, I just want some more mid range power for some fun in the twisties.

That is the hottest engine in the market and it's about 10 years old if not more in terms of technology....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users