flynismo

The Car Thread

912 posts in this topic

Any fellow car nuts out there?? If so, what do you drive? If you dont have a car, what would you like to get?

Just bought a 1991 BMW 525i for a project car. In great shape, needs nothing really, so going to jump right into modding it.

Current plans are:

1. EAT chip

2. 3.46 LSD (stock is 3.23)

3. Schrick cams

4. 6 puck clutch

5. Black paint

6. OEM wheels from the current M5

7. HIDs and clear corners

8. AC Schnitzer front bumper

After that is done, going to drop in a big brake kit and some coilovers.

Possibly a turbo or supercharger down the road.

Goal is to simply update the exterior, and achieve a squeaky clean interior using mainly OEM parts in the interior. Ultimately, want this to be my "fun car"...something to take out on those days when I just feel like going out on a long, pointless drive in the country.

Also have a 1999 Mercedes ML320 as my daily driver; haven't done much to that other than some a/v stuff. Just got it last month; wrecked my 08 C class on New Years day.

Got rid of my 1993 300ZX a while back. Was my baby!! 388 HP @ the wheels, Ferrari Yellow paint.

Pics coming soon!

I'm into ALL CARS/Trucks. I was born around motorsports and used to run my families auto shop.I've focused all my energy to my Xterra but plan to get a 67 Deuce in the next few years.

I'd like to get an Older 90' 190E 2.5 Benz

I drool over the AMG 300E Hammer

Edited by H8R

I'm into ALL CARS/Trucks. I was born around motorsports and used to run my families auto shop.I've focused all my energy to my Xterra but plan to get a 67 Deuce in the next few years.

I'd like to get an Older 90' 190E 2.5 Benz

I drool over the AMG 300E Hammer

The Hammers are still to this day absolutely gorgeous cars! Timeless is the word for them. Good choice!

What have you done with the Xterra? Lifted?

Mods:

Exterior:

Custom Slime Green Burger

Wade in-channel visors

Xoskel light cage

(4)KC 6" daylighters

Raingler Grab Handles

!Running boards

!Mud flaps

VLEDS 5000k Hi/Low kit

Suspension and Tires:

PRG Heim-joint UCA's

PRG 3" Spacers

PRG Tie Rod ends

Timbren front Bump stops ( Not installed)

PRG Shim Kit ( not installed)

Bilstein 5100 series, Extended rear shocks (3-5")

33" Mickey Thompson MTZ Radials

PRG Adj. Shackles

Powertrain:

Volant CAI

AC Snorkel ( Order/Deposit placed )

Armor:

BTF M226 ( high Fill option, pending arrival)

Trail-gear Sliders

Edited by H8R

Any fellow car nuts out there?? If so, what do you drive? If you dont have a car, what would you like to get?

Just bought a 1991 BMW 525i for a project car. In great shape, needs nothing really, so going to jump right into modding it.

Current plans are:

1. EAT chip

2. 3.46 LSD (stock is 3.23)

3. Schrick cams

4. 6 puck clutch

5. Black paint

6. OEM wheels from the current M5

7. HIDs and clear corners

8. AC Schnitzer front bumper

After that is done, going to drop in a big brake kit and some coilovers.

Possibly a turbo or supercharger down the road.

Goal is to simply update the exterior, and achieve a squeaky clean interior using mainly OEM parts in the interior. Ultimately, want this to be my "fun car"...something to take out on those days when I just feel like going out on a long, pointless drive in the country.

Also have a 1999 Mercedes ML320 as my daily driver; haven't done much to that other than some a/v stuff. Just got it last month; wrecked my 08 C class on New Years day.

Got rid of my 1993 300ZX a while back. Was my baby!! 388 HP @ the wheels, Ferrari Yellow paint.

Pics coming soon!

*Edit*

Just in case anyone actually gives a crap, lol..

Not getting the EAT chip anymore, just placed an order for a Miller W.A.R. unit instead. It's completely customizeable from a laptop, and you can switch between four different states of tune that you created. Good stuff!! On a bone stock 525i it can draw out an extra 18-22 HP and 13-15 ft-lb, as well as raise redline to 7k RPM and removes the top speed reglator, so I'm excited to see how this performs after some mods.

Also swapping on the heads from an E36 M3. Wont gain much from flow itself, but gives me VANOS valvetrain, and more agressive cams and timing.

Will the W.A.R unit give you the ability to alter VANOS? The cams are prob. more aggressive but what are the @.050 numbers v.s. the stockers? Also, I guess you'll need all new timing components (chain, cam gears, crank sprocket, etc)? Are the E36 heads the same deck height? Will you get a compression bump from adding them?

1981 Chevrolet Malibu!

Sporting stock rims with chevy hubcaps with 1 new tire

Under the hood watch out for that 4.4L V8 putting out about 130hp

This folks is in all seriousness, she's the Malibanger!

The ole man is looking at selling his L.E. bike to invest in on a new ZL 575 Camaro, which would be saweeet.

It's a limited edition Camaro that has a stock supercharger in it, it's actually been dyno'd over 600 hp.

Will the W.A.R unit give you the ability to alter VANOS? The cams are prob. more aggressive but what are the @.050 numbers v.s. the stockers? Also, I guess you'll need all new timing components (chain, cam gears, crank sprocket, etc)? Are the E36 heads the same deck height? Will you get a compression bump from adding them?

Going to have to do some drilling and tapping to make it work, and will need some additional components as well...the heads from all the inline 6 of that era had similiar casting, which is a double edge sword for me. Great for compatibility, but the combustion chambers are the same, so that means compression ratio will be unchanged. But, I'm trying to find a thinner head gasket; that will give me a little boost in C/R if I can get hold of that.

The M3 (VANOS) cams have 20* more duration, but slightly less lift. One of the advantages will be that I can advance the timing more with the VANOS setup, but I dont think that the W.A.R. chip will let me adjust when the cams kick in. But it's a trade off that I'm okay with, since I can create custom fuel maps, etc., each time I install a new add on.

I really am thinking hard about going with a supercharger. Don't need (or want) a high boost setup, just want a nice kick in the rear in low- and mid- range...and thats where these things need it most. Acceleration out on the highway is nice, once at speed...downshift at 70 then floor it is a barrel of monkeys, lol...but from a stop, or pulling out of low speed turns, the motor is nothing special.

Have you had any projects prior to the Xterra? I'm a Nissan guy, but don't know very much about the X's.

1981 Chevrolet Malibu!

Sporting stock rims with chevy hubcaps with 1 new tire

Under the hood watch out for that 4.4L V8 putting out about 130hp

This folks is in all seriousness, she's the Malibanger!

Lol, I loved the 1 new tire.

I dont care who you are, we've all pulled that one before!

Going to have to do some drilling and tapping to make it work, and will need some additional components as well...the heads from all the inline 6 of that era had similiar casting, which is a double edge sword for me. Great for compatibility, but the combustion chambers are the same, so that means compression ratio will be unchanged. But, I'm trying to find a thinner head gasket; that will give me a little boost in C/R if I can get hold of that.

The M3 (VANOS) cams have 20* more duration, but slightly less lift. One of the advantages will be that I can advance the timing more with the VANOS setup, but I dont think that the W.A.R. chip will let me adjust when the cams kick in. But it's a trade off that I'm okay with, since I can create custom fuel maps, etc., each time I install a new add on.

I really am thinking hard about going with a supercharger. Don't need (or want) a high boost setup, just want a nice kick in the rear in low- and mid- range...and thats where these things need it most. Acceleration out on the highway is nice, once at speed...downshift at 70 then floor it is a barrel of monkeys, lol...but from a stop, or pulling out of low speed turns, the motor is nothing special.

Have you had any projects prior to the Xterra? I'm a Nissan guy, but don't know very much about the X's.

DO IT!!! Superchargers are the way to go.

Sounds like a pretty trick set-up! As for the blower, I'd go with a p1-sc Procharger. The SC stands for self contained. No need to tap the oil pan or any other pressure oil source. The headunit is sealed and you can change the oil in that.

The P1SC is VERY efficient and you dont have to spin the crap out of it to make good poweer. Centrufugal blowers are nice but I'm a little bit biased to positive displacement blowers ( Roots, Screw )

because of the HUGE amounts of instant TQ. I wonder if someone makes a [profanity deleted]. displacement blower for the Bimmer?

I've had a TON of projects before my X and have worked on race cars since I was about 14 y/o.

the X is a pretty sweet trail rig. Dana 44 rear, E-locking rear diff, hill descent mode and bunch of other goodies only found in the Off-Road version. The engine is based on the VQ out og the Z but is punched out to 4.0.

Edited by H8R

ugh, brings back memories of being able to spend money on a car. The last car I paid for a was a Mazdaspeed Protege back in 03. It was sweet, not much done to it but I loved it. Sold it to carmax in 05 when I got married and have been using "donated family cars" ever since. Current;y a rusted out, dented up 2000 Neon :th_shame:

Question for everyone...

Does anyone live near the Hanover PA area (located 7 miles from Maryland line, about 12 miles east of Gettysburg), and have some fabrication experience?

Basically what happened is that after some rethinking of what I want to do (and the fact that the cost of aftermarket parts for BMWs are ridiculous), I got a 1993 535i and am going to get rid of the 525i asap (PM me if you're interested... 148k miles, 5 speed, forest green, fully loaded, a couple minor cosmetic issues like a quarter sized dent in rear passenger door).

I am going to piece together a turbo system of my own. I still have the factory turbos from a 300zx I used to own, so I need to gather an IC, manifold, piping, etc etc.

In the mean time, the 535 needs other things done that I need to take care of first.

I've never taken on a project like this before (dropping a turbo into an N/A motor), and I suck with a welder. So........after I get everything together, I will need help fabricating all this.

Edited by maryland1
Solicitation.

Ok not a car person per say but half awake and I actually read the Sub headed ,thouught this was a Motorhead threadas in the band,was reading and was like what in the hell,carry on fellas lol

Ok not a car person per say but half awake and I actually read the Sub headed ,thouught this was a Motorhead threadas in the band,was reading and was like what in the hell,carry on fellas lol

Go back to bed, lol..

I'm driving my dads car right now that's kind hand me down.. At this point I'm over it. I want to some how find my way into the new ZL 575. I heard to many good things about a 600 horsepower Camaro to stay away from it....

I'm driving my dads car right now that's kind hand me down.. At this point I'm over it. I want to some how find my way into the new ZL 575. I heard to many good things about a 600 horsepower Camaro to stay away from it....

Certainly not a bad choice, but if it were me, I'd save a boat load of money and build my own 600 HP Camaro. LS1 + blower ftw.

I know a guy down that dropped an LS1 into his M-B C230, he's currently trying to fit an Eaton sc in it. With that and a stroke kit, he's expecting to get around 550-600HP, all for about 10k including labor and the swap.

So I'm trying to beat him in the cheapskate department :lol:

Want to get this turbo in my car for under $3000, and then laugh at him for spending all that money.

He'd probably get me on a track; I'm keeping the boost low; 8-10psi, even though with 9:0-1 stock compression and a stout stock bottom end I can push it a bit higher. He's the Ricky Racer of the bunch, lol, I just want some more mid range power for some fun in the twisties.

Certainly not a bad choice, but if it were me, I'd save a boat load of money and build my own 600 HP Camaro. LS1 + blower ftw.

I know a guy down that dropped an LS1 into his M-B C230, he's currently trying to fit an Eaton sc in it. With that and a stroke kit, he's expecting to get around 550-600HP, all for about 10k including labor and the swap.

So I'm trying to beat him in the cheapskate department :lol:

Want to get this turbo in my car for under $3000, and then laugh at him for spending all that money.

He'd probably get me on a track; I'm keeping the boost low; 8-10psi, even though with 9:0-1 stock compression and a stout stock bottom end I can push it a bit higher. He's the Ricky Racer of the bunch, lol, I just want some more mid range power for some fun in the twisties.

That is the hottest engine in the market and it's about 10 years old if not more in terms of technology....

2006 Toyota Camry. Cream on the inside, clean on the outside.

You should do a better job of cleaning the backseat then!

That is the hottest engine in the market and it's about 10 years old if not more in terms of technology....

Yeah, actually I think the LS1 first appeared in the '98 Vettes and Camaros (I think; late nineties sometime anyway), so it's been out there for well over ten years.

Easy to see why it is so popular too...easy to find, cheap as dirt (both the motor and OEM/aftermarket parts), powerful,and responds so well to mods.

Pretty sick when you can get a lower mileage motor and 6 speed tranny for around $1500, throw in some cams and headers, and have more power than a TT Supra or an E46 BMW M3.

im a chevy small and big block lover, gen 1 or 2. have built numerous of them with my father and have a 350 pushing 500 in my dads 78 vette, and about 380 in my Chevy pickup I posted pics of in a previous car thread on here. I love old school simplicity with those engines, even though im very much into the computer building scene.

Do the turbo and you will not regret it.

More power = more fun see...

wow...and I thought my lifelong goal of building a 120 hp leaf blower was nuts!

Yeah, actually I think the LS1 first appeared in the '98 Vettes and Camaros (I think; late nineties sometime anyway), so it's been out there for well over ten years.

Easy to see why it is so popular too...easy to find, cheap as dirt (both the motor and OEM/aftermarket parts), powerful,and responds so well to mods.

Pretty sick when you can get a lower mileage motor and 6 speed tranny for around $1500, throw in some cams and headers, and have more power than a TT Supra or an E46 BMW M3.

The Ls1 was realeased in 97 for the Vette, 98 for the F-cars.

They only have ONE cam. It's VERY east to get 4oo=RWHP with a cam being the only internal upgrade. It's VERY uncommon to find a ls1 AND T56 swap for 1500. You might be able to find an Lq9 ( 6.0 truck motor) and a 4l60 E ( Auto trans) for that pric.

The power is one thing but the proof is in the pudding. MANY fbodies with an auto tranny have ran bottom 12's-high 11's with a nice vertor and bolt ons! They respond well at the track, dyno num,bers dont tell the full story.

im a chevy small and big block lover, gen 1 or 2. have built numerous of them with my father and have a 350 pushing 500 in my dads 78 vette, and about 380 in my Chevy pickup I posted pics of in a previous car thread on here. I love old school simplicity with those engines, even though im very much into the computer building scene.

They now manke carb/destributor set-ups for the Gen3-4SBC. Pretty sweet deal and you get the performance of the LS style cathedral port heads.

If you see a 90's sports car on the road there is a good chance it is running a LS 1 engine.

That is the most efficient engine of it's time and class...

What is everyone's favorite motors of all time? If cost and availability were no object, what are the motors that get your blood going the most?

Personally I've always loved low displacement V8s and high revving I6s.

I'm trying hard to narrow it down to my top 3, here's what I've got so far (not necessarily in order):

1. Ferrari's 3.6L V8 found in the Modena (my dream car!)

2. BMW's 3.2L I6 from the late 90's/early 00's M3

3. Porsche's 3.8L H6 from the GT3

There are several other engines I was debating on, but if I can only limit myself to top 3 those would be it.