Ravens-Texans      Joe Flacco      Schedule   

Flacco and offensive play calling in Week 3

Cam Cameron Cam Cameron Bad Start Joe Flacco Joe Flacco Play Calling Week 3

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Moderator 6_*

Guest_Moderator 6_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:14 PM

Flacco started the game where he left off in Philly last week: FLAT. It was a horrific start to the game. The INT aside, he wasn't getting anything done.

Things changed in the second quarter and he looked like the Joe Cool we all know and love. The play calling was better, not perfect, this week. It's amazing what a balanced game plan will do (50/50ish run and pass).

Joe had a good stat line tonight, more importantly the last drive of the game for the WIN.

Overall I was impressed. Thoughts?

#2 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:16 PM

This time the receivers made plays. Rather than not get separation, Torrey and Jacoby went up for the ball. That was huge for us.

#3 HaX

HaX

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:16 PM

brilliant!

#4 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,722 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:18 PM

I still have problems with the route concepts Cam uses and think that most of our issues stem from that on offense. But tonight proved that using a balanced plan of attack is the best way to go, like I said in the game thread we need to follow the example of the Texans. They can do pretty much anything (and play defense which is something we can't do right now) and that makes them hard to defend and dangerous.

The offense wasn't great tonight, but it was pretty good and Flacco had a great night after a shaky start. It's hard to knock a guy with his stat line. He drove us down the field again, and I always like to watch that. Even without that PI call he was looking sharp on that drive.

#5 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,634 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:19 PM

Play calling was questionable at times. Some times it worked well and others it didn't. That's how it works though. We played a good ball team today. Joe played a great game. Torrey played the best game of his career. Offensive line was overall good. Holes were there in the run game, and pass pro was generally okay. Yanda got called for holding twice, but the first one was bullcrap. Anyone know how many sacks we allowed? Rice played his but off. Leach was outstanding other than his drop. Great offensive game, but there is room for improvement.

#6 tctony

tctony

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:25 PM

Our offense actually made adjustments at halftime!!

Torrey, Jacoby and Rice balled out today.

GO RAVENS!

Posted Image

#7 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,980 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:33 PM

He was flat out horrific in 1st quarter. Great in 4th quarter. The momentum shifted as soon as harbaugh realized running game was working. We started mixing a heavy load of running game and they worked. Soon as Flacco got warmed up, he made good bombs here and there. But overall he was EXTREMELY frustrating to watch. He couldve been easily picked off on so many occasion, and the no-huddle failed miserably.

I give him slack for not backing down and playing agressive to throw major bombs to torrey and jones, but for most part he was struggling vs. a motivated (yet very flawed) patriots defense.

Its clear to me.. that this team is made to run. No run exclusively, but mix in a heavier dose of run to compliment Flacco. We can't have a 1-dimensional passing exclusive game.

We cannot play like this on offense and expect a win. Its a suicide.

Edited by Ravenseconbeast, 23 September 2012 - 11:35 PM.

#8 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:49 PM

Whenever Joe read cover 2 they ran the ball because NE couldn't stop the run with 7. Whenever they stacked the box he passed to good effect. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

Oh yeah, and Joe outplayed Brady for the second straight game ;)
"No weapon forged against us shall prosper. And every tongue which rises against us in judgment, we shall condemn."

#9 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,742 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:51 PM

Play calling was questionable at times. Some times it worked well and others it didn't. That's how it works though. We played a good ball team today. Joe played a great game. Torrey played the best game of his career. Offensive line was overall good. Holes were there in the run game, and pass pro was generally okay. Yanda got called for holding twice, but the first one was bullcrap. Anyone know how many sacks we allowed? Rice played his but off. Leach was outstanding other than his drop. Great offensive game, but there is room for improvement.

No doubt there were some questionable play calls here and there. No doubt we failed to execute a play here and there. Still, Joe had over 300 yds passing, Rice had 100 on the ground. So the room for improvement line did give me a chuckle. Only because usually we're happy if our offense just stays out of the defense's way lol

Joe flacco picked up a fumbled ball off the ground like he just dropped the newspaper on the sidewalk by accident and flung it across the street square into the neighbor's open mailbox while being attacked by pit bulls on steroids - a Panther's fan

#10 raybaby

raybaby

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:54 PM

The start of the game we were dealing with man press once again and receivers were struggling to get open and he of course forced it to Pitta. He was flat. The offense was flat. But they actually made in game adjustments (my biggest frustration with our offense) and marched down the field. We need this consistently.

#11 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,065 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:54 PM

Flacco was great. The offense was fantastic, over 500 yards and 31 points is why we won this game. The call to go for it on 4th and 1 was awful, but other than that the play-calling was pretty good. Ray RIce was excellent like usual and allowed us to have a balanced attack and successful PA.

Blitz every down! It's the only way to win!

#12 raybaby

raybaby

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:58 PM

I have to say Jacoby is making a lot of doubters shut up. He has been more important to our offense than Boldin.

#13 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,038 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:00 AM

That field goal to win it gave me a mini heart attack. Everyone in the room jaws dropped and put their hands on their heads.

#14 rlh445

rlh445

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:02 AM

So I just wanted to make sure everyone knew that in the past two consecutive games we've played, Joe has statistically outplayed Tom, hands down. Right now I'm thinking that's awesome.

This is football, not teacups with the Queen.

#15 RavensWin09

RavensWin09

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:07 AM

i thought the 1st quarter was never going to end. i never saw any ravens receivers get any sort of seperation whatsoever. our offense couldn't have just come to life after a quarter like that. there had to be some sort of adjustments for their later success and thank god we did. when we adjust we succeed. Jacoby Jones - thanks for stepping up bigtime for our offense. We need you! you deserve some credit these past weeks.

#16 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,722 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:10 AM

The key is balance and hoping no one gets hurt. Cam can't scheme around an injury the way McDaniels did tonight for the Pats. Hernandez was injured so they went back to running three wide, and for the most part it worked. But if the offense plays like it did tonight it won't be a hindrance to winning games. I'm more worried about the defense, which is a really odd feeling.

#17 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:13 AM

I have to say Jacoby is making a lot of doubters shut up. He has been more important to our offense than Boldin.

Yep, I am officialy an idiot. Don't judge a book bye his cover
Banned

#18 RavensWin09

RavensWin09

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:18 AM

i think cams biggest problem is trying to get the big play downfield on every play. the key to our offense is momentum and when we strung together completions, our offense was ticking. take the 5-7 yard plays when you can and the big plays will open up later not vice versa.

#19 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:29 AM

I'm calling it now. We cut Boldin at the end of the season. Sign Jacoby to a long-term deal. And play Tandon Doss in the slot.
"No weapon forged against us shall prosper. And every tongue which rises against us in judgment, we shall condemn."

#20 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:30 AM

So I just wanted to make sure everyone knew that in the past two consecutive games we've played, Joe has statistically outplayed Tom, hands down. Right now I'm thinking that's awesome.

I KNOW I'll be tuning in at 10am to watch Skip Bayless eat some crow tomorrow morning. I also know that somehow he'll weasel out of giving the Ravens a compliment.

Edited by BMORElegacy, 24 September 2012 - 12:31 AM.