Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rayven98

Cary Williams

421 posts in this topic

Please keep all discussions about the game, in the [url="http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/topic/48635-week-3-baltimore-ravens-vs-new-england-patriots/"]game thread[/url] until the game's conclusion.

I'm not sure how much is him and how much is gameplan. He's a physical corner yet plays off every snap. And all his catches Are simple comebacks because he's playing so soft

Almost every big play they made was against him... or Jimmy Smith - but at least Smith had some redeeming plays

I thought I saw a lot more press coverage from him and Jimmy tonight. Difference was Jimmy was doing well but Cary was still the weak link.

I'm not liking the way our DC is using our DBs. They are physical, yet they are playing off a lot. I think I'm starting to dislike Peas

I think he's been overcompensating for his struggles against the deep ball and now he's not making the plays on short routes that he normally does. He's been letting up 1st downs but not allowing much YAC. I'd rather he make plays on the ball and give up the occasional big play. At least our D might be able to get off the field.

Carey Williams needs to ride the bench . It may have been one of the worst
cornerback performances by a Raven in recent memory

I didn't really want beat on Cary Williams because on some of the passes there was little to no pressure on the QB, but Cary bites on too many double moves..... It seems like he gave up about 10 first downs alone.
I'm just baffled by his play thus far considering he turned down a contract and is in midst of trying to earn a better offer/deal.

Jimmy smith played much better today, I'm hoping jimmy continues and takes over the starting spot soon.

I don't normally subscribe to these player specific threads, but dear Lord!

Get this kid off our D!!!! Now!!!!

To say I am sorely disappointed with Williams is an understatement. I haven't thrown him under the bus yet, but he's getting close. It's getting very frustrating watching him constantly play so far off and behind the WR so that they get the completion. Perhaps it's part of the plan, but it's a really bad plan. Jimmy has been playing really well. Yeah, he gave up a few receptions but he played like a Raven. I didn't see that from Williams for the past three games. I'll give him a few more chances but his leash is short for me.

I was worried he was a product of Pagano's system more than anything. I'm beginning to believe that fear is justified. I hope Pees tightens this defense up a lot. Our pass defense has been very poor. It's not the secondary's fault, either. I don't really blame it all on Cary. The pass rush is so poor that the secondary has to work longer and that is what causes these completions. We need to get another defensive end or a defensive tackle. We need a JJ Watt caliber player on the DL.

Williams made a huge mistake by not taking the 15mil that guy, well I haven't anything nice to say so I won't comment at all.

[quote name='arnie_uk' timestamp='1348459271' post='1164290']
I'm not sure how much is him and how much is gameplan. He's a physical corner yet plays off every snap. And all his catches Are simple comebacks because he's playing so soft
[/quote]

This is an excellent point. I don't think the corners were giving the kind of cushion under Pagano that they've been giving under Pees in his incredibly passive vanilla defense.

[quote name='PWNEDbyDEANO' timestamp='1348459453' post='1164305']
I thought I saw a lot more press coverage from him and Jimmy tonight. Difference was Jimmy was doing well but Cary was still the weak link.
[/quote]

Maybe I missed it, but I think you're wrong about this. I saw one instance where Jimmy jammed the guy, but that was about it.

[quote name='T3hRaven' timestamp='1348460592' post='1164417']
This is an excellent point. I don't think the corners were giving the kind of cushion they've been giving under Pagano in his incredibly passive vanilla defense.
[/quote]

I assume you mean Pees, and his vanilla defense.

[quote name='PurpleCorsair' timestamp='1348460864' post='1164447']
I assume you mean Pees, and his vanilla defense.
[/quote]

Yup that was a typo. I meant this instead of his, but even that didn't get my point across clearly.

I like the kid, he's physical and he's made a name for himself coming out of freaking Washburn, but he needs to improve, otherwise Jimmy needs to be put in

Did anyone pickup Gorrer yet?
Because I'm wondering if Cary can't be traded for future draft pick or maybe trade him to the Lions (whom are desperate for CBs for maybe Cliff Avril or Sammy Lee Hill) or another team with decent pass rushers might want to upgrade at Cb.

[quote name='reediddy' timestamp='1348461041' post='1164467']
I like the kid, he's physical and he's made a name for himself coming out of freaking Washburn, but he needs to improve, otherwise Jimmy needs to be put in
[/quote]

We ran 3 corners pretty much all night, Jimmy was in. He played fairly well on the other side tonight, his tackling was better at least. Do people forget that Webb plays the Charles Woodson role on the defense?

[quote name='heapitup247' timestamp='1348460987' post='1164459']
Whenever you have a lockdown corner the other one is going to get picked on. He didnt play well today.
[/quote]

This is an interesting point. Opposing QBs are avoiding Webb like the plague, and maybe it's exposing Cary and Jimmy more than otherwise.

He needs to be relegated. No need to get on the "cut him" train, but something definitely needs to be done. Limit his snaps until he starts getting in a groove again. Jimmy impressed tonight. I'd rather see him struggle than Cary since he's a big part of the future.

His agent didn't think things through apparently. Williams is playing opposite one of the best corners in the league in Webb meaning teams are going to pick on him. And pick on him they do.

[quote name='heapitup247' timestamp='1348460987' post='1164459']
He didnt play well today.
[/quote]

Or last week. Or..

[quote name='jdynamite' timestamp='1348461080' post='1164474']
Did anyone pickup Gorrer yet?
Because I'm wondering if Cary can't be traded for future draft pick or maybe trade him to the Lions (whom are desperate for CBs for maybe Cliff Avril or Sammy Lee Hill) or another team with decent pass rushers might want to upgrade at Cb.
[/quote]

Nope! This performance on prime time = $8 for trade and a pretzel.

[quote name='ravensfan160' timestamp='1348461206' post='1164492']
His agent didn't think things through apparently. Williams is playing opposite one of the best corners in the league in Webb meaning teams are going to pick on him. And pick on him they do.
[/quote]

He doesn't play opposite of Webb, he plays opposite of Jimmy. Webb plays the slot so his versatility in run support and blitzing can be put to the best use.

[quote name='T3hRaven' timestamp='1348461171' post='1164485']
We ran 3 corners pretty much all night, Jimmy was in. He played fairly well on the other side tonight, his tackling was better at least. Do people forget that Webb plays the Charles Woodson role on the defense?
[/quote]

I forget, I'll admit

Can we trade Cary and Considine for a wacky waving inflatable arm guy. It would at least distract the other qbs in coverage.

[quote name='redrum52' timestamp='1348461543' post='1164526']
Can we trade Cary and Considine for a wacky waving inflatable arm guy. It would at least distract the other qbs in coverage.
[/quote]
That, my friend is so crazy it just might work.