Ravens at Bengals      Pro Bowl Voting      #RavensPumpkin      Game Rewind   

Photo

Riding The Wings Of The Last Three Draft Classes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:10 PM

Just something I was thinking about. Each week this year, the Ravens have seemed to rely more and more on their young players, and in particular, the last players drafted (or signed as UDFA) from 2010-2012 stand out.

Here's what the roster would look like with only players we drafted or signed as an undrafted free agent. Current practice squad is included.

--O-F-F-E-N-S-E--
QB: Tyrod Taylor

RB: Bernard Pierce
Anthony Allen
Bobby Rainey

WR: Torrey Smith
Deonte Thompson
Tandon Doss
Laquan Williams
Tommy Streeter*

TE: Dennis Pitta
Ed Dickson

OL: Kelechi Osemele
Ramon Harewood
Jah Reid
Gino Gradkowski
Jack Cornell*
Antoine McClain*

--D-E-F-E-N-C-E---
DL: Arthur Jones
Terrence Cody
Pernell McPhee
Deangelo Tyson
Bryan Hall

LB: Dannell Ellerbe
Josh Bynes*
Courtney Upshaw
Albert McClellan
Sergio Kindle
Mike McAdoo*
Adrian Hamilton*

Secondary: Jimmy Smith
Asa Jackson
Chykie Brown
Christian Thompson
Omar Brown
Anthony Levine*

--S-P-E-C-I-A-L--T-E-A-M-S--
KR: David Reed*
LS: Morgan Cox
K: Justin Tucker
P: N/A

It's too tough to specify exactly who's a starter now, but the bolded players are what I consider key contributors. Players with an asterisk are on the practice squad or IR/PUP. Not all of these players will be here in a few years, but there's 38 total with 13 starters/"key contributors" (not including special teams).

Consider the previous three drafts before this, 2007-2009. There are seven currently signed players from those drafts.
Marshal Yanda
Joe Flacco
Ray Rice
Jameel McClain
Michael Oher
Paul Kruger
Lardarius Webb

In 2010, when these draft classes were in their first three years, only five of these players would be considered key contributors (plus add in Grubbs and McClain). That's seven key contributors compared to the current 13. From 2004-2006, the Ravens have only kept Haloti Ngata and Sam Koch.

Better drafting has produced 28 Ravens with two or fewer seasons under their belt on the Active Roster alone. The 13 bolded all see plenty of playing time on offense or defense as part of the 46 active players. About 8 or 9 of the 22 starting positions go to these players. 7 are from the 2007-2009 group, and the rest are older or were brought in through free agency (Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Anquan Boldin, Vonta Leach/Jacoby Jones, Matt Birk, Cary Williams, possibly Ma'ake Kemoeatu.)

Edited by hawkprey, 22 September 2012 - 04:08 PM.

#2 Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

I thought Cary Williams was an UDFA signed by Tennessee? And Dennis Dixon was drafted by the Steelers in 5th round in 2008 draft, so you can't count him according to your qualifications.

But it still shows that we have drafted very well the past five draft.

BTW, you should include Cary because while we didn't bring him in the league, we did develop him.

Edited by Bazooka Joe, 22 September 2012 - 12:32 PM.

#3 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:29 PM

I thought Cary Williams was an UDFA signed by Tennessee? And Dennis Dixon was drafted by the Steelers in 5th round in 2008 draft, so you can't count him according to your qualifications.

But it still shows that we have drafted very well the past five draft.

BTW, you should include Cary because while we didn't bring him in the league, we did develop him.

You're right, but actually thinking about it, he was drafted in 2008. I didn't realize Dixon was drafted (he's on our PS, so I included him without considering that) but he's not really important to the list anyway. The front page had an article on Bobby Rainey today. I can't figure out if he's re-signed to the team somehow because all I heard was that he was cut for Allen.

#4 gilgamesh

gilgamesh

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:37 PM

Bobby Rainey is on the practice squad. No one else wants to sign him yet, knock on wood.

Edited by gilgamesh, 22 September 2012 - 01:37 PM.

#5 Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

After research, you're right. Cary was drafted by Tennessee. Still I claim him as ours because we developed him into the player he is.

#6 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

You're absolutely correct! Harbs has gotten Ozzie and Biscotti's blessings to not only play the best player, but to also not be afraid to play the youngsters. I think we have the perfect mix of veterans and players who have yet to realize their full potential.

Also, and this has been mentioned before, but this years UDFA class is unbelievable. No-one is talking about Tucker yet, but he should've had an opportunity to kick a game winner to cap off a monster game last week.

603060_10151508899441059_1219667063_n.jp