Photo

How can we fix our D?!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
66 replies to this topic

#61 jdynamite

jdynamite

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,862 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:54 PM

Since it's just 2 games into the season and the Eagles offense is explosive regardless and the threat of Vick running makes every defense commit stupid mistakes (Ex. Ed Reed totally blowing off covering the back half of the endzone because Vick was scrambling, leaving Maclin wide open) I'm not sure if the defense needs fixing, maybe just some tweaks...
Having Kruger back could help some, Pollard's injury was significant last week.
Jimmy and Cary both need to play tighter coverage, become more physical at the line since the Refs are letting more contact go right now.
Right now it seems like more 4 man fronts could benefit us line-ups like Jones/Upshawn-Ngata-Cody-Mcphee... Ngata has to get doubled Cody could eat up a blocker or 2 at times, it should be stout against the run and currently our outside backers aren't getting to the QB....
I think Upshawn will get stronger throughout the season in terms of his pass rush....
The team did not cut Kindle after preseason like I thought they would because of his pass rush potential and well what are we waiting on throw him out there on obvious passing downs and let's see him try speed rush or something, give him a try at least.....

#62 RavensWin09

RavensWin09

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:00 PM

conservative defense makes me sick to my stomach especially when its put next to the word Ravens.

Play Press/Bump and Run, Play Reed close at line (like jets game), more stunts, send 6 rushers... just do something that doesn't scream 500 yards of offense every week. its embarassing.

#63 Yatagarasu

Yatagarasu

The Crow-God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:02 AM

We're going to be in for a rough ride this year.

Defense looks like it has regressed back to the Mattison days, where our defense allowed huge chunk of yards.

Remember Frank Walker couple years back? Well he's back in the form of Cary Williams.

How did we fix our defense?

We can either change the D-Coordinator or just draft defense for next year to fit his scheme.

Dean Pees Defensive Coordinator Era in New England from 2006-2009.

Year - Scoring Defense
2006 - #2
2007 - #4
2008 - #8
2009 - #5

Key Players:
Tedy Bruschi (LB), Mike Vrabel (LB), Junior Seau (LB), Jerod Mayo (LB), Adalius Thomas (LB), Jarvis Green (LB), Ty Warren (DL), Richard Seymour (DL), Vince Wilfork (DL), Rodney Harrison (S), James Sanders (S), Brandon Meriweather (S), Asante Samuel (CB), Ellis Hobbs (CB), Leigh Bodden (CB).

They definitely had talent back during Pees' time, so it must be the adjusting period for the Ravens to fit his scheme anyways. We need to definitely focus adding more talent to our defense especially the Pass Rush and Secondary Department.

#64 CorvusCorax

CorvusCorax

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:04 AM

I think Upshaw is on the rise (slowly) and with Sugg's return at some point (maybe after the bye) things should be better. Our run defense and pass rush are rough at the start but adjustments are made in the 2nd half. I think we will see "Baltimore Defense" back in form as the season progresses.

Let's stay tuned and see what happens as the season progresses.

I also think the Offense can actually help the defense this time around. Finally!

Edited by CorvusCorax, 24 September 2012 - 05:07 AM.

Posted Image

#65 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,514 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

Our run defense is good. Our pass rush is where we are weak. Of course our secondary will get picked apart when we can't pressure the QB. When Suggs returns we will see our defense reclaim its glory.

#66 omar586

omar586

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:34 PM

i think someone mention this in another thread but how about moving Haloti to DE instead of NT, i think that might help our pass rush.

#67 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,514 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:36 PM

i think someone mention this in another thread but how about moving Haloti to DE instead of NT, i think that might help our pass rush.

Haloti is already our DE, not the NT. The NT is usually Cody or Kemoeatu.