Training Camp      Stadium Practices     

Watch LIVE Press Conferences Saturday at 4:00 pm ET

Jerry Rosburg, Gary Kubiak, and Dean Pees will address the media following training camp practice.
*Time is subject to change
Close

Photo

How can we fix our D?!

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,671 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:52 PM

After Ngata, yes. And Suggs, but I wont count him since he may not play this season.
Can make a very strong case that Suggs, Ngata and Webb are our three best defensive players.

Agreed. Both Haloti (even in a down year by his standards) and Webb had better season than Ray and Ed last year and I won't be surprised if that happens again this season.
"...when Sean Taylor is in the neighborhood, you will feel him." - Al Michaels

Posted Image

ER20 takes off and then gets distracted by a debate going on...

#22 GOTA

GOTA

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:52 PM

It's going to come down to scheme. The players are the players. Outside of Upshaw there isn't a significant defensive player on the team who is new to the Ravens. Even Kemo knows what it's like to play with Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. The coaches know exactly what they have and they know that what they've tried so far hasn't been working which means it's time to adjust the scheme.

Limit the 3 man rushes. Unless you are playing the Jaguars who have limited players to throw the ball to you're going to need more pressure.

Adjust when something isn't working. Celek kept on lighting them up all game because there was no adjustment to stop him.

Get creative in hiding pressure. Rex used to love to move guys all over. Even the Falcons defense had enough happy feet to confuse Peyton Manning. Mix things up enough to make the offense think twice.

There is enough talent on this defense to improve on what we've seen. No excuse for what Pees has been doing

#23 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:54 PM

I think a lot of the coverage issues will be a non issue once we start getting pressure on the quarterback. At times sunday Vick had all the time he could ever ask for. So of course our coverage looked awful, just the fact that it took him so long to find a receiver says they were covered and needed more time to get open. With pressure i think the "D" will look a lot better.
This spot reserved for Super Bowl celebratory images !!

#24 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,426 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:03 PM

^ I agree with Fly. And how is our older guys showing our age? Ray is 10th in tackles, And Ed is 2nd in INTS. (Plus he ran one back).

There are a lot more things to be concerned about our defense rather than our age. New DC, young guys forced to start, no Suggs,Redding or JJ, and we just haven't been executing yet. So far it's been a blown coverage, missed tackles, or stupid ridiculous penalty.

I still think we'll finish as a top 5 defensive unit once we put everything together. Hopefully.

Edited by Ravens<3, 18 September 2012 - 02:03 PM.

2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#25 funky141

funky141

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:45 PM

Maybe I jumped the gun on the age but I do think the defense will take a back seat to the offense this year. And the offense will need to score to help the defense quite a few times this year.

#26 KillaBirdTJ

KillaBirdTJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

Maybe I jumped the gun on the age but I do think the defense will take a back seat to the offense this year. And the offense will need to score to help the defense quite a few times this year.

This is off subjuct, but whats with the Manning Jersey??? Are you Raven or Bronco?

#27 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,816 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

This is off subjuct, but whats with the Manning Jersey??? Are you Raven or Bronco?

None of the above. He's a Colts fan that has a mancrush on Manning.
Posted Image

#28 PeRK82

PeRK82

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,861 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

I can honestly say, im not worried about our D. Atleast not a the moment.

I think we are pretty good, i think we need to work on our blitzing schemes and putting more pressure on the QB. But even if we arn't getting sacks , we are still hitting the QB after his throw.
Which is a good thing because that qb is getting more rattled after every hit.

#29 PeRK82

PeRK82

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,861 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

None of the above. He's a Colts fan that has a mancrush on Manning.

LOLOL, Gotta love it. Next time say he has a Mancrust on Manning

#30 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,691 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

and those 2 guys are your best players on that side of the ball

Edit- point already made.

Edited by Bltravens, 18 September 2012 - 03:11 PM.

#31 tctony

tctony

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

Stop running prevent and playing conservative zones! More blitzes.

Our interior line play is weak right now. This is the worst the Ravens run D has started their first 2 games of the season.

We need more blitzes to help our pass rush right now. Ray might be more valuable that way right now then depending on him to cover the middle zone.

We need to let our DBs bump and run most of the time.

Ngata is a top 2 interior lineman in the game and Suggs was actually the best defender last year. If Suggs is healthy those two are our best players on that side of the ball.

Ngata and Cody should be eating up offensive lines. They seem to be underperforming thus far. Hopefully they dominate the Pats OL

Edited by tctony, 18 September 2012 - 03:11 PM.

GO RAVENS!

Posted Image

#32 Mick0311

Mick0311

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

Well, if Sunday was any indication, we should just do what the Eagles did and commit 30+ illegal contact penalties since the refs had zero clue about that rule apparently. Then none of Brady's receivers will be able to do anything like our guys were victimized.

In all seriousness, I am partial to man coverage with safety help over the top as a basic concept as the Eagles ran some of on Sunday. I think Webb is good enough to do that and Jimmy will get better at it as he gets more experience and if he learns to stop playing 5+ yards off of every receiver. When we drop guys into zones, we need to be mixing up blitzes with the other guys that aren't dropping, make it less "vanilla." I saw the Falcons doing some "organized chaos" type stuff last night and it makes me miss those days with our defense...

Oh man, I know. I was watching that last night and looked at my wife and said, "that used to be Baltimore football."

#33 baltravens

baltravens

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

We can fix our D by cloning Terrell Suggs and bringing him up to age 25 and inserting him into the starting lineup against NE.

Edited by baltravens, 18 September 2012 - 03:44 PM.

#34 RavensWin09

RavensWin09

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:13 PM

let webb be the one to play off coverage because of his speed, let jimmy play press, and cary a few yards off the line of scrimmage. Apparently, pees doesn't know a scheme doesn't work right if his players can't take advantage of their abilities.

#35 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,079 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:07 PM

I am listening to 105.7 The Fan and I heard Pollard say that "this was a valuable lesson for us to not underestimate our opponent". Now, I am not making any excuses here, but I did suspect this happened. I don't think that Pollard was saying that directly or not, but my interpretation of that is that the Ravens (or some of them) took the match for granted.

I'll continue listening because I want to hear what he and Ihedibgo say.

#36 GOTA

GOTA

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

I think a lot of the coverage issues will be a non issue once we start getting pressure on the quarterback. At times sunday Vick had all the time he could ever ask for. So of course our coverage looked awful, just the fact that it took him so long to find a receiver says they were covered and needed more time to get open. With pressure i think the "D" will look a lot better.

What if that doesn't happen? Last year the Steelers lost Harrison and had a beat up Woodley. They couldn't get decent pressure most of the season and were near the bottom of the league in sacks. There are no guarantees that they will suddenly get to the QB until a very healthy and in football shape Suggs returns.

#37 Crabcakes&Football

Crabcakes&Football

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:30 PM

Have Cary grab the receiver's jerseys to disrupt their routes and keep from getting beat. Other team(s) are exploiting the substitute zebra's incompetence, might as well be us too.

Edited by Crabcakes&Football, 18 September 2012 - 06:30 PM.

Enjoy the Ride.
Posted Image

#38 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,348 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:06 PM

Blitz more and play up in coverage. Fixing the defense isn't that hard.

#39 PurpleCorsair

PurpleCorsair

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:36 PM

and those 2 guys are your best players on that side of the ball

Disagree. Pollard and Webb playing just as good as Reed if not better. Ray, on the other hand, is still our best MLB.

#40 display name

display name

Gotham's Reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,943 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:14 PM

How can we fix our D?
Fire Pees and hope Sizzle gets back before December.
Edit: Oh and bench Cary in favor of Cory Graham. Cary can't cover a guy for his life.

Edited by display name, 18 September 2012 - 08:15 PM.

The Raven, on 03 Jan 2012-624 PM, said:

"You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

Malkavian Raven, on 4 June 2014, said: "Display's off his meds again. Alert the white coats with the butterfly nets."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users