Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KillaBirdTJ

How can we fix our D?!

67 posts in this topic

[quote name='harfordravenfan' timestamp='1348093238' post='1158975']
no need to read more... You covered most of it. Only think I'd add would be press coverage (even though Jimmy & Cary don't like/want to), that would screw up the quick routes & mess with timing of longer routes giving us a bit more time to get to the wb. Brady is notorious for the dink funk passes so if our cb's are 5 yds off the line it will be a long ugly game.
[/quote]
JSmith is actually an adept press man corner. Thats all he played at Colorado. He struggles in off zone coverages, which is what we've been doing mostly.

[quote name='T3hRaven' timestamp='1348073952' post='1158733']
When the DC is calling 3 man rushes, [b]which has never worked for this team,[/b] and playing off it's perfectly acceptable to be upset about it. If we were schematically correct and not executing, it would be a different story. On Sunday we were schematically incorrect and not executing. We know that Pees is too passive to be the Ravens coordinator based on his past experience as a DC.
[/quote]

Look, once again: it's the first time Pees has had full control of the defense and we have a lot of new pieces. How is he gonna know how competent we are at doing different looks if he doesn't try them because of past performances with different players?! The answer is he's not. I'm sorry and this isn't directed *just* at you but I'd be inclined to think that he knows what's 'schematically correct' more than anyone else on this board, and the only other board I frequent there might be one guy who could break it down and actually know what he's talking about. It's fine to be upset about performance and want to see more of this and less of that depending on the situation, but pretending to know how to plan and execute a defense better than people who've been doing it for a decade or more is just..well it's not good, let's put it that way.

If you want to go by the opinion that we weren't executing, that's fine with me and has nothing to do with Pees at that point and has everything to do with the guys on the field. His past experience as a DC has had him on some seriously under-manned defenses and he made a darn good showing of it anyway, so I'm not sure where you were going with that.

[quote name='PuRock' timestamp='1347990591' post='1157864']
Get Healthy, Get Creative, hope our young guys progress faster, and cross our fingers.
[/quote]

This.

Not much else to say lol

[quote name='T3hRaven' timestamp='1348073952' post='1158733']
When the DC is calling 3 man rushes, which has never worked for this team, and playing off it's perfectly acceptable to be upset about it. If we were schematically correct and not executing, it would be a different story. On Sunday we were schematically incorrect and not executing. We know that Pees is too passive to be the Ravens coordinator based on his past experience as a DC.
[/quote]

I don't know what game y'all were watching but I definitely didn't see many 3 man rushes. I saw 4 man rushes just about all the time.

No more 3 man rush with zone behind it!!! Even mediocre QB's will make plays against that.

That being said, the defense did superb against Cincy. They played pretty well in the first half against Philly, only giving up 7. It was the second half of that game when the calls were outrageously conservative. Just giving up the middle of the field play after play.

After one game, to say that Pees needs to go is a little outrageous. EVERY DC calls a bad game. Remember all the times that Peyton Manning absolutely GASHED Rex Ryan's defense? Heck, even the 2000 defense was gashed a few times that year.

Do I think that this defense is going to be #1 in the league? Probably not, but I still think that once these young guys get some wind in the sails that the defense will be stout once again.

Again, no need for panic. It isn't ALL that bad! Actually, the defense did everything in it's power to cause turnovers against the Eagles, and they got them. The offense just couldn't put it away!

Had the offense been able to put a TD on the board off of one of those, and the Ravens win...then nobody would be worried.

In today's NFL your BEST defense truly is a good offense.

[quote name='funky141' timestamp='1347993054' post='1157908']
I think the D is going to struggle at times all year. [u][b]The D is showing its age[/b][/u] but will still be a decent defense just not a top 5 any more.
[/quote]

really? have you stop to find out (for yourself) how "old" everyone on our defense is? or, are you just repeating what you see and hear being said about our defense on sportscenter, espn, espn first take and nfl network etc? just wondering!

~Mili

My big question is whats broken? We have given up a lot of yards sure, against some very good offenses. Who really cares about yards, or judges a defense based on that anymore? We are getting turn-overs, three and outs, and are stingy in the red-zone. If you examine the Eagles game that first TD was penalty aided. Then we put them on a short field pretty much immediately after.

I still see an elite defense, fielded by Hall of Famers. If anyone sees anything different then maybe they need their eyes checked!

One thing I'll point out is that Cary Williams is struggling, albeit he's been matched up against some tough receivers so far. When one player on the defense struggles, the other players try to compensate, therefore opening all types of other issues.

In my opinion, Cary is the wildcard to this defense. If he plays up to what he's capable of, this is still the best defense in the league. If he struggles like he has so far, we're still a good defense, but not the typical defense Ravens fans expect.

Since it's just 2 games into the season and the Eagles offense is explosive regardless and the threat of Vick running makes every defense commit stupid mistakes (Ex. Ed Reed totally blowing off covering the back half of the endzone because Vick was scrambling, leaving Maclin wide open) I'm not sure if the defense needs fixing, maybe just some tweaks...
Having Kruger back could help some, Pollard's injury was significant last week.
Jimmy and Cary both need to play tighter coverage, become more physical at the line since the Refs are letting more contact go right now.
Right now it seems like more 4 man fronts could benefit us line-ups like Jones/Upshawn-Ngata-Cody-Mcphee... Ngata has to get doubled Cody could eat up a blocker or 2 at times, it should be stout against the run and currently our outside backers aren't getting to the QB....
I think Upshawn will get stronger throughout the season in terms of his pass rush....
The team did not cut Kindle after preseason like I thought they would because of his pass rush potential and well what are we waiting on throw him out there on obvious passing downs and let's see him try speed rush or something, give him a try at least.....

conservative defense makes me sick to my stomach especially when its put next to the word Ravens.

Play Press/Bump and Run, Play Reed close at line (like jets game), more stunts, send 6 rushers... just do something that doesn't scream 500 yards of offense every week. its embarassing.

We're going to be in for a rough ride this year.

Defense looks like it has regressed back to the Mattison days, where our defense allowed huge chunk of yards.

Remember Frank Walker couple years back? Well he's back in the form of Cary Williams.

How did we fix our defense?

We can either change the D-Coordinator or just draft defense for next year to fit his scheme.

Dean Pees Defensive Coordinator Era in New England from 2006-2009.

Year - Scoring Defense
2006 - #2
2007 - #4
2008 - #8
2009 - #5

Key Players:
Tedy Bruschi (LB), Mike Vrabel (LB), Junior Seau (LB), Jerod Mayo (LB), Adalius Thomas (LB), Jarvis Green (LB), Ty Warren (DL), Richard Seymour (DL), Vince Wilfork (DL), Rodney Harrison (S), James Sanders (S), Brandon Meriweather (S), Asante Samuel (CB), Ellis Hobbs (CB), Leigh Bodden (CB).

They definitely had talent back during Pees' time, so it must be the adjusting period for the Ravens to fit his scheme anyways. We need to definitely focus adding more talent to our defense especially the Pass Rush and Secondary Department.

I think Upshaw is on the rise (slowly) and with Sugg's return at some point (maybe after the bye) things should be better. Our run defense and pass rush are rough at the start but adjustments are made in the 2nd half. I think we will see "Baltimore Defense" back in form as the season progresses.

Let's stay tuned and see what happens as the season progresses.

I also think the Offense can actually help the defense this time around. Finally!

Our run defense is good. Our pass rush is where we are weak. Of course our secondary will get picked apart when we can't pressure the QB. When Suggs returns we will see our defense reclaim its glory.

i think someone mention this in another thread but how about moving Haloti to DE instead of NT, i think that might help our pass rush.

[quote name='omar586' timestamp='1348536862' post='1166243']
i think someone mention this in another thread but how about moving Haloti to DE instead of NT, i think that might help our pass rush.
[/quote]
Haloti is already our DE, not the NT. The NT is usually Cody or Kemoeatu.