Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KillaBirdTJ

How can we fix our D?!

67 posts in this topic

Its not just missing a pass rush... We are giving up underneath routes, and worst of all, not even stopping the run!

Any suggestions?

get kruger back, hope suggs heals very quickly, and also hope that upshaw becomes a monster. we did pretty well against the run this week. pass rush is the glaring issue at the moment

[quote name='PurpleReign92' timestamp='1347982727' post='1157719']
Maybe we should add another DE instead of inside linebacker for the starting team...
[/quote]

Now THAT is a good idea... Seems like if we are better suited personel wise to run a 4-3?

[quote name='Florida Ravens Fan' timestamp='1347982828' post='1157722']
Is Carter still available?
[/quote]

I wouldn't mind that either, we really miss Redding and JJ...

I think the issue with our D was last game we were so keen on defending McCoy and Vick from the run perspective. Vick is an incredibly mobile quarterback, I saw Upshaw and others attempt to chase Vick down once he got outside the pocket but he's too quick and either threw it or picked up some yards with his feet. Brady is not like this he'll either throw it away or take a sack or end up getting killed by someone. So as long as the D line puts some pressure on them and our MLBs cover Gronk and I guess Winslow with Hernandez out hopefully we can keep Lloyd and Welker in check somehow too. I just hope Pollard and Kruger come back so we could have some options at LB and have the "Patriot Killer" on the field.

[quote name='KillaBirdTJ' timestamp='1347982207' post='1157706']
Its not just missing a pass rush... We are giving up underneath routes, and worst of all, not even [b]stopping the run![/b]

Any suggestions?
[/quote]

They held McCoy to 81 yards on 25 carries and the Eagles as a team to 3.1 yards per carry.

I put in another post that the Ravens had been elite at covering TE over the last 17 regular season games prior to Celek's blowup. TE are seldom a problem for the Ravens.

It really seems that the Ravens LB and Secondary were very focused on Vick's threat of running along with the big play potential of Maclin/McCoy/Jackson. When you review the film, you notice that our LB would let Celek go once he got to a certain depth and Vick happened to be throwing to him between the LB and the Secondary.

I am more concerned with getting consistent pressure on the QB. Vick had all day to throw. That fact, along with the zone coverage the LB/Secondary were playing were the reason the Ravens got carved up.

I have a few questions/concerns I hope someone can help me understand.

1) Pollard clearly set the defensive tone for the Eagles game. When he went out with an injury it seemed like our defense went flat. How does a defense with Ray Lewis go flat? Is this a glimpse of our defense when Ray retires????

2) With Nagta getting double teamed and still getting to the ball, what the hell is Cody doing? My big issue with Cody is on run plays. No run should be successful inside the tackles. When Nagta is double teamed Cody should be eating runners up.

3) Why in the hell does Jimmy Smith, a 6'2" 210lbs CB, continue to play 8 and 10 yards off of WRs? We drafted him because of his size so he could get in the face of the large WRs in the game today. If I were the other team's Offesive coordinator, I'd throw 5 and 7 yard outs and curls to Jimmy Smith's side all game long.

4) I know the Suggs injury was big, but right now our best pass rusher is Webb. That's just not good enough. Where's the next man up?

5) Even with a poor offensive showing in the second half we put up 23 points. In years past, 23 points was an assured victory. Throw in the fact we also had a turn over advantage and I'm left scratching my head. Are we seeing the effects of our new Defensive coordinator?

I think with some continuity at OLB once Kruger gets back, and Upshaw rotating with McClellan, should start to sure up that aspect. Remember, none of these guys were NFL starters last year. I think the other aspect is to get our CB's covering better. Way too many wide open receivers to be anything but concerned. Maybe Pollard being out was a big part of that, but we need to get more physical back there. I think once those two areas start to gel we will be fine.

I don't see how the defense needs fixing. Pees needs to dial up better blitzes to compensate for the lack of pass rush, but that's the only glaring issue in my opinion.

Well, if Sunday was any indication, we should just do what the Eagles did and commit 30+ illegal contact penalties since the refs had zero clue about that rule apparently. Then none of Brady's receivers will be able to do anything like our guys were victimized.

In all seriousness, I am partial to man coverage with safety help over the top as a basic concept as the Eagles ran some of on Sunday. I think Webb is good enough to do that and Jimmy will get better at it as he gets more experience and if he learns to stop playing 5+ yards off of every receiver. When we drop guys into zones, we need to be mixing up blitzes with the other guys that aren't dropping, make it less "vanilla." I saw the Falcons doing some "organized chaos" type stuff last night and it makes me miss those days with our defense...

[quote name='KillaBirdTJ' timestamp='1347983394' post='1157738']
Now THAT is a good idea... Seems like if we are better suited personel wise to run a 4-3?

[/quote]

The way Pees runs the defense, it may as well already be a 4-3. I mean, what do we typically do? Rush 4, drop everyone else back. Isn't that what most 4-3 teams do? Changing the scheme won't change the fact that we can't get pressure. Whether we run a 4-3 or a 3-4, the players would be the same. Kruger and Upshaw would still be the primary pass rushers. Nothing would change except for alignments. The personnel would be the same.

I think the D is going to struggle at times all year. The D is showing its age but will still be a decent defense just not a top 5 any more.

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1347988234' post='1157822']
Start taking advantage of Jimmy Smith and Cary Williams size in press coverage, they're getting torched anyway.
[/quote]
This. Big corners never play particularly well in off coverage unless they are the cream of the crop. The Ravens wanted to be physical at the LOS, so they picked JSmith in the 1st only to play him 10 yards off? Where he struggled in college no less too?

Makes sense.

[quote name='funky141' timestamp='1347993054' post='1157908']
I think the D is going to struggle at times all year. The D is showing its age but will still be a decent defense just not a top 5 any more.
[/quote]
Theres 2 guys over 30.

[quote name='funky141' timestamp='1347993533' post='1157916']
and those 2 guys are your best players on that side of the ball
[/quote]

After Ngata, yes. And Suggs, but I wont count him since he may not play this season.
Can make a very strong case that Suggs, Ngata and Webb are our three best defensive players.

[quote name='flynismo' timestamp='1347993885' post='1157923']
After Ngata, yes. And Suggs, but I wont count him since he may not play this season.
Can make a very strong case that Suggs, Ngata and Webb are our three best defensive players.
[/quote]

Agreed. Both Haloti (even in a down year by his standards) and Webb had better season than Ray and Ed last year and I won't be surprised if that happens again this season.

It's going to come down to scheme. The players are the players. Outside of Upshaw there isn't a significant defensive player on the team who is new to the Ravens. Even Kemo knows what it's like to play with Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. The coaches know exactly what they have and they know that what they've tried so far hasn't been working which means it's time to adjust the scheme.

Limit the 3 man rushes. Unless you are playing the Jaguars who have limited players to throw the ball to you're going to need more pressure.

Adjust when something isn't working. Celek kept on lighting them up all game because there was no adjustment to stop him.

Get creative in hiding pressure. Rex used to love to move guys all over. Even the Falcons defense had enough happy feet to confuse Peyton Manning. Mix things up enough to make the offense think twice.

There is enough talent on this defense to improve on what we've seen. No excuse for what Pees has been doing

I think a lot of the coverage issues will be a non issue once we start getting pressure on the quarterback. At times sunday Vick had all the time he could ever ask for. So of course our coverage looked awful, just the fact that it took him so long to find a receiver says they were covered and needed more time to get open. With pressure i think the "D" will look a lot better.

^ I agree with Fly. And how is our older guys showing our age? Ray is 10th in tackles, And Ed is 2nd in INTS. (Plus he ran one back).

There are a lot more things to be concerned about our defense rather than our age. New DC, young guys forced to start, no Suggs,Redding or JJ, and we just haven't been executing yet. So far it's been a blown coverage, missed tackles, or stupid ridiculous penalty.

I still think we'll finish as a top 5 defensive unit once we put everything together. Hopefully.

Maybe I jumped the gun on the age but I do think the defense will take a back seat to the offense this year. And the offense will need to score to help the defense quite a few times this year.

[quote name='funky141' timestamp='1347997526' post='1157980']
Maybe I jumped the gun on the age but I do think the defense will take a back seat to the offense this year. And the offense will need to score to help the defense quite a few times this year.
[/quote]

This is off subjuct, but whats with the Manning Jersey??? Are you Raven or Bronco?

[quote name='KillaBirdTJ' timestamp='1347998168' post='1157986']
This is off subjuct, but whats with the Manning Jersey??? Are you Raven or Bronco?
[/quote]

None of the above. He's a Colts fan that has a mancrush on Manning.

I can honestly say, im not worried about our D. Atleast not a the moment.

I think we are pretty good, i think we need to work on our blitzing schemes and putting more pressure on the QB. But even if we arn't getting sacks , we are still hitting the QB after his throw.
Which is a good thing because that qb is getting more rattled after every hit.

[quote name='PuRock' timestamp='1347998311' post='1157990']
None of the above. He's a Colts fan that has a [b]mancrush on Manning.[/b]
[/quote]

LOLOL, Gotta love it. Next time say he has a Mancrust on Manning

[quote name='funky141' timestamp='1347993533' post='1157916']
and those 2 guys are your best players on that side of the ball
[/quote]

Edit- point already made.