Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ratedr

What exactly is John Harbaugh good at?

129 posts in this topic

[quote name='flynismo' timestamp='1347916824' post='1156791']
Nobody is safe from getting thrown under the bus, eh?
[/quote]

I don't think that's the case here. It's a legitimate question to ask. I think Harbaugh is a good coach, but his failure to make in-game adjustments seperates him from being a great coach. He's like my man Joe Flacco. Flacco says "The call came in from the sideline". Well, if you know that shouldn't be done here, at this stage, why don't you as the QB change it? Same with harbs for me. We have 2 timeouts and 1:55 left. Over rule everybody and win this game in the box for us. Doesn't have that trait.

[quote name='flynismo' timestamp='1347916824' post='1156791']
Nobody is safe from getting thrown under the bus, eh?
[/quote]

Throw or be thrown...

[quote name='redrum52' timestamp='1347917094' post='1156795']
Throw or be thrown...
[/quote]

I did, but Ed Reed intercepted my throw. Darn, he's everywhere.

[quote name='PolishRifle' timestamp='1347917502' post='1156802']

I did, but Ed Reed intercepted my throw. Darn, he's everywhere.
[/quote]

So that's why we haven't heard Harbs call out Cam.

Honestly, him questioning the playcalling is the closest thing I think I've heard recently about him hinting at Cam doing a bad job.

Your kidding right. 4 playoff appearances in 4 years. That didn't happen by accident. Harbs has done a great job. Is he perfect no, but who is.

[quote name='Greatness' timestamp='1347917079' post='1156794']
I don't think that's the case here. It's a legitimate question to ask. I think Harbaugh is a good coach, but his failure to make in-game adjustments seperates him from being a great coach. He's like my man Joe Flacco. Flacco says "The call came in from the sideline". Well, if you know that shouldn't be done here, at this stage, why don't you as the QB change it? Same with harbs for me. We have 2 timeouts and 1:55 left. Over rule everybody and win this game in the box for us. Doesn't have that trait.
[/quote]

Exactly!!

He is too buddy buddy with Cam.

[url="https://twitter.com/jeffzrebiecsun/status/247482549318864896"]The stat that came out this morning[/url] about our play selection in 3rd/4th in shorts is irritating...especially with [url="http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/story/2012/09/16/harbaugh-says-questioning-ravens-play-calling-is-fair/57791598/1"]Harbaugh's comments[/url] that it is fair to question those decisions. That is his job as a coach. We have Leach and Rice, for my money [i]the best RB tandem [/i]in the NFL... I'm not saying we need to run every time, but we need to utilize the players we have.

Cam Cameron can not adjust his gameplan quickly enough. John Harbaugh needs to be more assertive with his coordinators.

I hate these threads, sometimes we call bad games, get over it. When we win, there are no complaints about coaches, players, as soon as we make a mistake and the drop ball, these threads pop up like wildfire. We lost. It's in the NFC. John Harbaugh isn't going to get fired. He's a good coach. Been to the playoffs every year, sometimes the game plans are wack and sometimes you lose, get over it. Move on to next week. It's a good thing teams aren't like this, we'd be 0-16.

[i][font=times new roman,times,serif]I love these forums after a tough loss, the bandwagoners really start to shine.[/font][/i]

[i][font=times new roman,times,serif]Yes, lets get rid of Harbaugh. Lets get rid of Flacco while we're at it. And Cam Cameron. Dean Pees. Jim Caldwell. We should get rid of Rice too since he wasn't able to catch the pass that would've kept the drive alive. Lets get rid of Jacoby Jones for shoving off. Lets get rid of Ray Lewis too since he allowed a defenders foot to touch him on the fumble recovery. Lets get rid of Considine for tripping. Lets get rid of whoever tripped him too. Lets get rid of Tucker since that 56-yarder started to go a little bit to the right. Lets get rid of the fanbase too. And the front office. Can we get rid of the Bank? Can we just get rid of the whole city of Baltimore?[/font][/i]

[i][font=times new roman,times,serif]There... I feel better.[/font][/i]

[i][font=times new roman,times,serif] :268213: [/font][/i]

[i][font=times new roman,times,serif]~ Malkavian Raven[/font][/i]

If we happened to have a video special of what John Harbaugh does during a week for this team we would probably be exhausted watching it. He probably gets the least amount of sleep of anyone in the organization!

Do you know what Harbaugh DOESNT do ?
Micro manage. He also doesnt hire or fire.
Cam is the OC not Harbaugh.
Pees is the DC not Harbaugh.
Harbaugh over sees the descisions they make. We HAVE NO CLUE what Harbaugh does and says to these guys behind closed doors. None.
Untimately they are accountable to Ozzie and Biscotti.
Harbaugh is NOT the top man on the totem poll.

[quote name='BmoreRav' timestamp='1347925223' post='1156974']
If we happened to have a video special of what John Harbaugh does during a week for this team we would probably be exhausted watching it. He probably gets the least amount of sleep of anyone in the organization!
[/quote]

[font=times new roman,times,serif][i]Agreed. If you go back to some of the videos when the roster had to be cut down to the final-53, you look at John's face and you can see he had been up for at least a whole day without any sleep. He looked beat.[/i][/font]

[font=times new roman,times,serif][i]~ Malkavian Raven[/i][/font]

[quote name='CorvusCorax' timestamp='1347925766' post='1156988']
Hey at least we used timeouts this game!
[/quote]
We had 2 left

[quote name='CorvusCorax' timestamp='1347926678' post='1157001']

Apparently sarcasm is not your forte... ;)
[/quote]

Hard to tell on this site sometimes.

[quote name='Malkavian Raven' timestamp='1347921532' post='1156900']
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif]I love these forums after a tough loss, the bandwagoners really start to shine.[/font][/i]

[i][font=times new roman,times,serif]Yes, lets get rid of Harbaugh. Lets get rid of Flacco while we're at it. And Cam Cameron. Dean Pees. Jim Caldwell. We should get rid of Rice too since he wasn't able to catch the pass that would've kept the drive alive. Lets get rid of Jacoby Jones for shoving off. Lets get rid of Ray Lewis too since he allowed a defenders foot to touch him on the fumble recovery. Lets get rid of Considine for tripping. Lets get rid of whoever tripped him too. Lets get rid of Tucker since that 56-yarder started to go a little bit to the right. Lets get rid of the fanbase too. And the front office. Can we get rid of the Bank? Can we just get rid of the whole city of Baltimore?[/font][/i]

[i][font=times new roman,times,serif]There... I feel better.[/font][/i]

[i][font=times new roman,times,serif] :268213: [/font][/i]

[i][font=times new roman,times,serif]~ Malkavian Raven[/font][/i]
[/quote]

Don't take my criticism of John Harbaugh as an indictment on his full work. If you look through my post, its been consistent. I think he's a damn good coach, but he doesn't manage when the time we need him to manage the most. You don't have to micromange all the time, but at some point the light needs to hit and go "No, we're going to do this". Which is one reason I'll forever blame him for the Jags loss last year.

[quote name='Greatness' timestamp='1347926949' post='1157005']
Don't take my criticism of John Harbaugh as an indictment on his full work. If you look through my post, its been consistent. I think he's a damn good coach, but he doesn't manage when the time we need him to manage the most. You don't have to micromange all the time, but at some point the light needs to hit and go "No, we're going to do this". Which is one reason I'll forever blame him for the Jags loss last year.
[/quote]

[font=times new roman,times,serif][i]I know what you meant. Just poking fun. ;) We cool.[/i][/font]

[font=times new roman,times,serif][i]~ Malkavian Raven[/i][/font]

[quote name='ratedr' timestamp='1347901179' post='1156399']
Serious question. It seems as if this team is routinely outcoached. Why is the head coach saying "it's right to question the calls on 3rd and short?" If that's the case, then why didn't HE question them. Both coordinators called awful games yesterday, but someone needs to hold them accountable, because we are quickly becoming Chargers East.
[/quote]
He's a great head coach except for how hard-headed he is about Cam. That's the only area where I have a problem with him.
Edit: The timeouts too. There's no gurantee he even knows he has any left.

[quote name='ratedr' timestamp='1347901179' post='1156399']
Serious question. It seems as if this team is routinely outcoached. Why is the head coach saying "it's right to question the calls on 3rd and short?" If that's the case, then why didn't HE question them. Both coordinators called awful games yesterday, but someone needs to hold them accountable, because we are quickly becoming Chargers East.
[/quote]

This is a valid question, but some on this forum are disillusioned about Harbaugh's ability. As one of the few who has continually called his coaching into question, I'm right there with you in the frustration. The only thing Harbaugh does a good job at is manage egos, but when your team wins that should work itself out. Without someone like him I imagine our locker room would have blown up a few years ago when Mason was blasting Cam and we were getting reports about the discontent. As an X's and O's guy, Harbaugh doesn't add much to the team. He's a special teams coach, we should have known that going in. He'll take the bullet for any member of the organization though, but that's subjective whether or not that's a good or a bad thing. His worst flaw is that he is completely incapable of making a tough decision. That's why David Reed is still somewhat a part of this team, and that's why a moron like Cam Cameron is still our offensive coordinator. I was amazed when he cut Cundiff in all honesty, it was the one tough but necessary move I've ever seen him make.

LOL! I was waiting for a thread like this when we lose. Definitely expected it from ratedr. If it wasn't Flacco, it was definitely gonna be Harbs.

[quote name='Greatness' timestamp='1347917079' post='1156794']
I don't think that's the case here. It's a legitimate question to ask.
[/quote]

No, it's a ridiculous question to ask from a guy who has led us to 4 playoffs and 2 AFCCG in his four years here.

[quote name='flynismo' timestamp='1347934625' post='1157238']
No, it's a ridiculous question to ask from a guy who has led us to 4 playoffs and 2 AFCCG in his four years here.
[/quote]

That's a fair assestment and I agree, but I still feel the OP has argument.

[quote name='flynismo' timestamp='1347934625' post='1157238']
[/quote]

And lost both of them. Maybe if he and Cam had gotten us a ring, but all he's done is fall short and fail to produce in a lot of big games. It's fair to question is Harbaugh is the right man to get the Ravens backed to the football promised land.

[quote name='K-Dog' timestamp='1347938087' post='1157318']
John Harbaugh is good at not ending his sentences with a preposition.
[/quote]

Why, what do you mean by that? :P

After the Bengals game, people were saying Flacco is the winningest QB in the past 5 seasons, would that mean that Harbaugh is, as well? Or is it Belichick, since he won 11 games without Brady in '08? Either way, Harbaugh's probably in the top 3.

[quote name='T3hRaven' timestamp='1347939119' post='1157349']
And lost both of them. Maybe if he and Cam had gotten us a ring, but all he's done is fall short and fail to produce in a lot of big games. It's fair to question is Harbaugh is the right man to get the Ravens backed to the football promised land.
[/quote]

So because Lee Evans drops a pass / Cundiff shanks a gimme, and making it to the 2008 AFCCG when we had no business making it that far (rookie QB, 17 players on IR) in the first place is reason to question Harbaugh?
Interesting, to say the least...

[quote name='flynismo' timestamp='1347939758' post='1157363']
So because Lee Evans drops a pass / Cundiff shanks a gimme, and making it to the 2008 AFCCG when we had no business making it that far (rookie QB, 17 players on IR) in the first place is reason to question Harbaugh?
Interesting, to say the least...
[/quote]

Irrelevant statistics. He didn't get the job done, and in this league it's a simple as that. He makes a lot of poor decisions, especially when it comes to personnel. His judgment is certainly in question.