55 replies to this topic

#41 wayne

wayne

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:22 PM

Well, look at Alex Smith numbers compared to Stafford and Niners use more of a smash mouth approach and Lions used the opposite approach. Smash mouth approach with a good D can still be pretty effective. They controlled the clock perfectly.

#42 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,730 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:23 PM

i don't have a coordinator of choice right now. All i want from the next guy is someone that
B. gives the offense to joe (0 no huddle in 2nd half???)
C. Makes smart decisions (shotgun on 3rd and 1???)
D. Uses personnel correctly (no leach in 2nd half????)

the phrases in parentheses are what cam did wrong today with that criteria alone.

I hadn't noticed ;)
"No weapon forged against us shall prosper. And every tongue which rises against us in judgment, we shall condemn."

#43 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,730 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:26 PM

We abondoned the no-huddle too fast.

There was no need to abandon it. It was working. Joe orchestrated a beautiful drive that ended in that Leach TD. It didn't make any sense why they stopped...
"No weapon forged against us shall prosper. And every tongue which rises against us in judgment, we shall condemn."

#44 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,970 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:49 PM

There was no need to abandon it. It was working. Joe orchestrated a beautiful drive that ended in that Leach TD. It didn't make any sense why they stopped...

I think a good 60/40 mix between pass and run, passing to set up the run, in the no-huddle would be perfect for this team.

I don't want us to go back to smashmouth. It's just a style, that limits our chances to put up points. Then everything depends on one play and suddenly Lee Evans drops the gamewinning touchdown. I hope Cameron and Harbaugh stay commited to the up-tempo offense and don't chicken out of it just because some fans and analysts will bellyache that we lost against the Eagles in Philly by one point.

bJNF689.jpg

#45 RavensAllTheWay

RavensAllTheWay

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:30 PM

Is it just me, or did we hardly run play action at all yesterday? I don't remember any play fakes off the top of my head. And I agree, smashmouth does need to come back. We really should have been running the ball in the third quarter.

Edited by RavensAllTheWay, 17 September 2012 - 03:32 PM.

#46 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,137 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:33 PM

Is it just me, or did we hardly run play action at all yesterday? I don't remember any play fakes off the top of my head. And I agree, smashmouth does need to come back. We really should have been running the ball in the third quarter.

We needed more play action for sure

#47 BMOREHAWAII

BMOREHAWAII

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

http://bleacherrepor...gling-in-week-2

A decent breakdown of why we lost against the Eagles. PROBABLY by some irate fan who is looking for anyTHING or anyONE to blame...
Also i haven't seen anything on a Flacco injury in a NFL insider so it can't be that bad..
"If the football gods were to create the perfect defensive player, he would be a MERE IMAGE of the immortal Ray Lewis.."

#48 XxSizzleXx

XxSizzleXx

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:25 PM

PA only really fools the defense if you are committed to the run in the game, we were not committed to the run that last game what so ever,

#49 gametyme

gametyme

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:39 PM

If you can't line up on 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 1 and run for a first down you are going to have problems. Remember when we use to run out the jumbo package, everybody on gods earth knew we were running but they couldnt do anything about it. Its an attitude. The idea that we have to pass on third and short all the time is insane.
"It comes from the heart"

#50 admartian

admartian

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:47 PM

PA only really fools the defense if you are committed to the run in the game, we were not committed to the run that last game what so ever,

Plus it allows the edge rushers more time to get to the QB; providing they don't bite.

Though that's not usually their assignment.

#GetFlaccoHelpIn2014

Win or lose, I believe.

PS4 is WOW!

#51 HoldingCall

HoldingCall

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:54 PM

The 49ers play in the weakest division in football. No one in that conference can light it up on a weekly basis. If they were in the NFC North or the NFC South they wouldn't look as good.

And how are the Steelers smash mouth? They've noticeably moved to a passing offense over the years, throwing more balance into the equation does not return them to the 1970's.

49ers already beat the Packers and Lions from the NFC North. The 49ers and Texans appear to be the sturdiest teams at this point of the season and both use a balance of strong running and solid defense just like the Ravens use to do.

#52 HoldingCall

HoldingCall

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:10 PM

I think a good 60/40 mix between pass and run, passing to set up the run, in the no-huddle would be perfect for this team.

I don't want us to go back to smashmouth. It's just a style, that limits our chances to put up points. Then everything depends on one play and suddenly Lee Evans drops the gamewinning touchdown. I hope Cameron and Harbaugh stay commited to the up-tempo offense and don't chicken out of it just because some fans and analysts will bellyache that we lost against the Eagles in Philly by one point.

There is no need to smashmouth 100% of the time but there is a time, place and need for it in our arsenal.

#53 omar586

omar586

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

All we need is balanced Playcalling to defenses guessing

#54 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,525 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:24 AM

I hear ya man. PIT are still as "smashmouth" as it gets.

To answer your question, I think you already know the answer to that -- our OC is an incompetent fool.

there it is!

~Mili

Militant X 1

mili1.png

"I AM THE RENEGADE.....I HAVE NO EQUALS!"

- MX1

#55 wayne

wayne

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:34 PM

I love the sugar huddle and feel we need to use it situational but I notice that when we don't use it, we run the ball more and if that's the case, I'm sort of against it. We don't need to be a team throwing the ball 50+ times, we need to have more of a balance approach with the run still being the main focal point of our scheme.

#56 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,137 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:05 PM

Rice and Pierce had an impact on this game today. We put the ball in their hands and they were effective. Rice had a HUGE impact on the game, and Pierce played well too. A balanced attack like today helped win the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users