Ravens at Texans      Roster      Game Rewind   

Photo

The Refs.....(Post Eagles Game)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
217 replies to this topic

#181 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:59 PM

I'm not one to blame the refs, but that PI on Jones was horrible...
That Monday night game may have been the worst game I have ever seen. They took 20 minutes to figure out a penalty, and still got it wrong. They threw a flag for defensive holding, and penalized 10 yards!?! A player on the Falcons punched an official in the face, and no ejection.
The way I see it is there are 3 problems:
1 the game is too fast for these replacements.
2 the refs are intimidated by the players.
3 the refs don't fully understand the rules.
Goodell... Get the thing done. Give them what they want or your going to start costing teams playoff spots.

#182 jaege

jaege

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

Lol, yeah. I'd like to hear of a company giving part-time employees benefits like that. My full-time (or previous full-time job, anyway) discontinued their pension last year.

Not to get too off-topic. The bottom-line is they need to go. We need the old refs back. Also, the players need to adapt to the calls the refs are making.

You see, I do not know if they have to go. While I agree, they are horrendous, the NFL is trying to make sweeping changes to the Refs, and its not all about money. They want full time refs, (something the fans have been wanting for years) The old refs do not want to give up their fill time work to be full time refs. The NFL wants to use the down time for the these full time refs to study and learn the rules better. I also heard about a refs college, to train new refs, so the refs are not all blind geezers. If they cave to the refs union, then they will get none of these changes. I know that the new guys are horrible but the old refs made a lot of crappy calls too, not as many and not as stupid, but just as irritating. I want full time refs myself, and using these scabs may be the only way to get them.
It's so nice to be insane...

CAM GOT FIRED!!!!!

Joe Cool is the MAN!!!

Ravens

World Champions

#183 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

I agree. Jimmy would be a great fit in these cover two zones where all he has to do is press the hell out of the receiver and then cover the flat area. Is it just me, or has his tackling been a little suspect lately? I thought he was a reliable tackler? Maybe I'm just imagining things.

No you're not imagining things, he took some bad angles both weeks so far. Not to make excuses for him, but he's not used to zone, maybe that is a factor?

Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)

Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVP

Farewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!

If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#184 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,617 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:31 PM

No you're not imagining things, he took some bad angles both weeks so far. Not to make excuses for him, but he's not used to zone, maybe that is a factor?

I don't know. Tackling doesn't change the technique for tackling. Either way you have to break down, take good angles, and wrap up. He doesn't break down or wrap up. He just dives and then he either misses the tackle or bounces off.

Perhaps zone coverage puts him in a position where it is of more importance to take good angles, but the process of tackling remains the same.

#185 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,732 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:35 PM

I don't know. Tackling doesn't change the technique for tackling. Either way you have to break down, take good angles, and wrap up. He doesn't break down or wrap up. He just dives and then he either misses the tackle or bounces off.

Perhaps zone coverage puts him in a position where it is of more importance to take good angles, but the process of tackling remains the same.

Part of the problem is he probably sees Ed (on occasion) fly in and make his patented darting leg tackle. Webb has also perfected it as well. Not everyone can tackle like that. Smith, in my opinion, is a HUGE liability on the field at this point. Doesnt mean I dont like him and dont think he grow into what we drafted, so calm down everyone. Just dont like what I see currently.
Posted Image

#186 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,617 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:39 PM

Part of the problem is he probably sees Ed (on occasion) fly in and make his patented darting leg tackle. Webb has also perfected it as well. Not everyone can tackle like that. Smith, in my opinion, is a HUGE liability on the field at this point. Doesnt mean I dont like him and dont think he grow into what we drafted, so calm down everyone. Just dont like what I see currently.

I haven't been wowed, but I haven't been overly disappointed. His poor tackling his alarming, but that's my only real gripe with him.

#187 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,732 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

I haven't been wowed, but I haven't been overly disappointed. His poor tackling his alarming, but that's my only real gripe with him.

Eh, only gripe? I get ya, but his not being able to turn his head around is bothersome! Great position, just cant snap that head around in time to locate the ball and make a play on it. Luckily, these two defects that bother me are coachable and can easily be built upon!
Posted Image

#188 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,617 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:57 PM

Eh, only gripe? I get ya, but his not being able to turn his head around is bothersome! Great position, just cant snap that head around in time to locate the ball and make a play on it. Luckily, these two defects that bother me are coachable and can easily be built upon!

Well, that's the biggest gripe. Despite the fact that he can't flip his hips or turn his head he still does a decent job. If he was a more reliable tackler I would be more willing to look past the other flaws. Was he a good tackling corner in college?

#189 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,732 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

Well, that's the biggest gripe. Despite the fact that he can't flip his hips or turn his head he still does a decent job. If he was a more reliable tackler I would be more willing to look past the other flaws. Was he a good tackling corner in college?

Not sure if that was a rhetorical question at the end or not, but yes, he was. He WILL be in the NFL. Just needs some time and more coaching.
Posted Image

#190 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,617 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

Not sure if that was a rhetorical question at the end or not, but yes, he was. He WILL be in the NFL. Just needs some time and more coaching.

Ah, okay. I'm patient. I am definitely content with where he is as a player right now. No problems!

#191 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:06 PM

Outstanding tackler in college, although a select few would disagree. Put up 140 tackles the last two years (70 each season), and considering that he only gave up SIX completions in that same time span, its not like his numbers were jacked up by giving up plays to the guys he was covering

#192 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:08 PM

Comsidering how little time Jimmy has gotten, we cant expect him to step right in and shut everyone down. I'll admit that despite that, I still thought je would be playing a little better than he currently is, but dont worry, this kid is a sleeping giant

#193 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:24 PM

Comsidering how little time Jimmy has gotten, we cant expect him to step right in and shut everyone down. I'll admit that despite that, I still thought je would be playing a little better than he currently is, but dont worry, this kid is a sleeping giant

True, time that he got time. Bench Cary! Now
Banned

#194 RavensWin09

RavensWin09

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:45 PM

the refs couldn't have been worse today! thank god they didn't cost us the game twice in a row.

#195 funky141

funky141

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:04 AM

the refs couldn't have been worse today! thank god they didn't cost us the game twice in a row.

agree, they called a good game in the ravens favor this time

#196 redrum52

redrum52

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

These refs stink but don't act like the regulars were perfect. They messed up many calls as well and we would complain about them.

IDC how much Pats fans cry. They got home cooking last year in a playoff game with real refs, and their whole dynasty started off a fumble that never was.

Edited by redrum52, 24 September 2012 - 09:38 AM.

#197 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:13 PM

Ok, after todays MNF game, can we please give packers and baltimore a "W" back so we can be 3-0? :-D

#198 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:19 PM

agree, they called a good game in the ravens favor this time

Not even close. Lloyd pushed off Williams for a first down, Mankins should have been flagged at least twice for his after the whistle altercations. Let's not pretend like Baltimore got away with one here. The game was sloppy from the get go and each team was flagged for obvious infractions, some ticky tack ones and all together got away with some plays that should have been flagged. You're kidding yourself if you think that was "in our favour".

#199 Moderator 2

Moderator 2

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,330 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:27 PM

Just wow at the MNF game.
68f2a8.jpg

#200 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:34 PM

Just wow at the MNF game.

As BAD, i mean really bad as officiating was in our game vs. eagles. This one might top the cake. The league must MUST do something now. Not only that, the referees will need to be in top shape and prove to me they can do better than these replacement referees.

Maybe this will be a chance to fix this issue, or not..

Edited by Ravenseconbeast, 24 September 2012 - 11:34 PM.