Ravens at Steelers      Game Rewind      Pro Bowl Voting   

Do Nfl Ref's Get Fined For Making Bad Calls?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_410finest_*

Guest_410finest_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:24 AM

Every week I see the NFL refs are making wrong calls. NFL players get fine for any little thing they do or say. Do refs get fine for making these bad calls? I think the ref should be accounted for and punish for calls the make and later founded to be wrong. 1 bad call cost us a game. A roughing the passer call against Suggs was straight BS.

#2 ravensgirlx88

ravensgirlx88

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:26 AM

Nope, they get graded.

I agree that "everyone makes mistakes" to a POINT however.. if it costs a team the game they should at least be pentalized in some way.. if they have repeated bad marks against them, I think the NFL should fine them.

#3 MKdave

MKdave

Lowly peasant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:31 AM

I don't mind a ref making mistakes if they admit that they have made one. Refereeing is difficult. You can't get every call right. But it's just frustrating that most officials seem to think that they are infallible, and Mike Perriera facillitates this behaviour by agreeing with the call on the field at all times. Though it is admirable to have such loyalty to his officials, it is to the detriment of the league.
You know that saying:' 2/3 of earth is covered by water, the other 1/3 is covered by Ed Reed'? Its not true. He bought a boat.

#4 PIG 20

PIG 20

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:36 AM

IMO, this year's officiating is the worst I have ever seen!

The bad officiating is literally costing "games" for certain teams.

Goodell better get these guys under control!

#5 ravensgirlx88

ravensgirlx88

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:40 AM

I agree, when it starts costing teams WINS thats when somebody NEEDS to get it under control.

#6 Perfekt

Perfekt

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:20 AM

as long as its not one of americas sweet hearts they dont care if the calls are wrong. refs hate us and we hate them. i think they should get fined for bad calls.
It's more then a team were a family.

#7 Rinbee

Rinbee

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:21 AM

Every week I see the NFL refs are making wrong calls. NFL players get fine for any little thing they do or say. Do refs get fine for making these bad calls? I think the ref should be accounted for and punish for calls the make and later founded to be wrong. 1 bad call cost us a game. A roughing the passer call against Suggs was straight BS.

mistakes happen and most of the time they do not cost a game. Did the Suggs call really cost us the game? Hard to say. My question is, why not make more calls reviewable or allow coaches to challenge the officials in some other way. For example, on the Suggs call, that play never happened according to the rules. There was an offensive penalty that should have killed the play instantly. You can argue that Suggs should have never touched the QB (and I would make that reviewable by replay) and that's why he got a deadball foul, but be logical refs. If you had done your job, Suggs would not have even been in the backfield. A lot of bad calls could be fixed if we had the process in place to allow refs to review more or reconsider calls.

#8 neepo13

neepo13

Purple K0Olaid Drinker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,037 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:31 AM

I agree. Its out of hand. Refs are not only costing teams games but they are becoming an accomplist in player injuries because they are either not blowing the whistle as soon as a play is dead, like on the Suggs play, or they are allowing team to take shots after the whistle has been blow and not flagging them for it, ie Haynesworth hit on Flacco and the cheap shot that got Edgar Jones knicked up vs. Miami. The refs and the NFL rules need to go back to the basics because the refs obviously cant handle all the stress they are under. Never have I seen refs drastically affect the game the way that they are this year. Playoff teams this year will hinge on whether they are in the good graces of the refs or not. ie San Diago and Baltimore.
Posted Image

#9 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,586 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:36 AM

It's a tough job being a referee. You alway's get the blame from one side of the game, the losers. Not to mention they are constricted by rule books, fast plays, human eyes, and yes human emotions.

I do not have an issue with bad calls (even though I will get as upset as the next guy), if that's all it is, as long as these guys aren't betting on games, etc.
Posted Image

#10 Guest_410finest_*

Guest_410finest_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:54 AM

mistakes happen and most of the time they do not cost a game. Did the Suggs call really cost us the game? Hard to say. My question is, why not make more calls reviewable or allow coaches to challenge the officials in some other way. For example, on the Suggs call, that play never happened according to the rules. There was an offensive penalty that should have killed the play instantly. You can argue that Suggs should have never touched the QB (and I would make that reviewable by replay) and that's why he got a deadball foul, but be logical refs. If you had done your job, Suggs would not have even been in the backfield. A lot of bad calls could be fixed if we had the process in place to allow refs to review more or reconsider calls.

I agree. No one is perfect, I now the refs wontget all the calls right but more calls should be viewable and i think as long as the team have time outs they should be able to challenge a play or call. Someone should be accountable for a bad call made.
Why arent these peple who views the ref calls in games arent the ones viewing a challege play. I just want to see a team get fair due. Esp the Ravens.

#11 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,586 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:59 AM

I agree. No one is perfect, I now the refs wontget all the calls right but more calls should be viewable and i think as long as the team have time outs they should be able to challenge a play or call. Someone should be accountable for a bad call made.
Why arent these peple who views the ref calls in games arent the ones viewing a challege play. I just want to see a team get fair due. Esp the Ravens.

Really the NFL doesn't need to punish the refs as much as they need to change the rule book. Allow challenges on penalties. Give the ref the ability to overturn previous calls, etc. It's bad when the refs have to make a quick decision, but then realize it was a bad call, and can't do anything about it.

Edited by PuRock, 29 October 2008 - 10:00 AM.

Posted Image

#12 Gwaihir

Gwaihir

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:55 AM

What about showing blatant Bias? Sure, we won Sunday, but I'm still pissed at the Refs!! Oakland comes into the game averaging 13.6 penalties for 98.3 yards/game, and they get flagged twice for ten yards!!

Meanwhile, just about every Big Play we get, there's a late flag for phantom holding, and linemen downfield. I saw Suggs get tackled on his way to the QB at least twice, and Pryce at least once, I'm sure there were many more!

I thought this game proved more than any other how much the Refs have it in for us! When was the last time Oakland only had 2 penalties? Probably the last time they played us!

If you're going to call ticky-tack holding on us, at least call it on them when our guys are getting tackled every play. You want to know what's wrong with our Pass Rush, I'll tell you, they are being held every play and the refs won't call it, because they hate our Defense!!

#13 Rinbee

Rinbee

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:21 AM

What about showing blatant Bias? Sure, we won Sunday, but I'm still pissed at the Refs!! Oakland comes into the game averaging 13.6 penalties for 98.3 yards/game, and they get flagged twice for ten yards!!

Meanwhile, just about every Big Play we get, there's a late flag for phantom holding, and linemen downfield. I saw Suggs get tackled on his way to the QB at least twice, and Pryce at least once, I'm sure there were many more!

I thought this game proved more than any other how much the Refs have it in for us! When was the last time Oakland only had 2 penalties? Probably the last time they played us!

If you're going to call ticky-tack holding on us, at least call it on them when our guys are getting tackled every play. You want to know what's wrong with our Pass Rush, I'll tell you, they are being held every play and the refs won't call it, because they hate our Defense!!

I see the Rams sent video to the NFL b/c the Patriots received NO penalties in their game last week. Maybe the Ravens should jump on the bandwagon. If enough teams make noise maybe something will get done.

#14 Sub-Zero

Sub-Zero

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:21 AM

or maybe the Raidahs were too focused on not committing penalties, instead of trying to win the game?!
Posted Image

#15 macbrak

macbrak

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:16 PM

They definitely shouldn't be fined. Players only get fined for mistakes that cause injury (or possibly blatantly disruptive). The lowliest of the players still earns an order of magnitude over the highest paid ref.

Having said that if you are consistently making mistakes as in any job: "hit the bricks pal".

I also agree that if they are going to throw a flag on something that calls the play dead, blow that whistle.

#16 tctony

tctony

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:16 PM

It isn't always the ref's fault. If we put ourselve in position to win the game, penalties shouldn't matter. Cliche, but true.

Should we fine refs? No. If you mess up at work, do they fine you? They don't make millions of dollars, like the athletes, so we shouldn't fine them.

I agree that there should be more options for challening a play. I think the rules should be more lenient, to allow for common sense. For example, the Suggs penalty in the Titans game. According to the rules, it is a penalty...but come on, seriously (not to mention Haynesworth got no penalty for tackling and landing on Flacco on a deadball earlier in that game).

GO RAVENS!

Posted Image

#17 itscbm5042

itscbm5042

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:10 PM

The NFL needs to make penalties challengable! The Titans are 6-1 and the Ravens are 5-3. That roughing the passer call was BS and something like that needs to be reviewed and compared with what the NFL states is a personal foul. His fingers tapped his helmet unintentionally, there is no penalty. The problem is even if its completely unfounded and wrong there is no way to reverse a penalty unlike a play. THAT needs to change.

#18 Rinbee

Rinbee

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:22 PM

The NFL needs to make penalties challengable! The Titans are 6-1 and the Ravens are 5-3. That roughing the passer call was BS and something like that needs to be reviewed and compared with what the NFL states is a personal foul. His fingers tapped his helmet unintentionally, there is no penalty. The problem is even if its completely unfounded and wrong there is no way to reverse a penalty unlike a play. THAT needs to change.

If the refs had done what they were supposed to do on a procedure call and blow the play dead, Suggs never would have crossed the LOS. I agree with more reviewable calls, but we already have the rules we need to have gotten this one right.

#19 #1 D

#1 D

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:53 PM

lol I totally agree w/you...some of their calls are totally bs, and sometimes they miss calls altogether...we need to challenge for a flag sometimes, even if it slows the game down...the refs need to get it right.

-L2Respect

#20 neepo13

neepo13

Purple K0Olaid Drinker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,037 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:07 PM

It isn't always the ref's fault. If we put ourselve in position to win the game, penalties shouldn't matter. Cliche, but true.

Should we fine refs? No. If you mess up at work, do they fine you? They don't make millions of dollars, like the athletes, so we shouldn't fine them.

I agree that there should be more options for challening a play. I think the rules should be more lenient, to allow for common sense. For example, the Suggs penalty in the Titans game. According to the rules, it is a penalty...but come on, seriously (not to mention Haynesworth got no penalty for tackling and landing on Flacco on a deadball earlier in that game).

In some cases you do have to pay for your mistake if that mistake has cost your job money. And depending on the severity you are fired on the spot. Any time you can point to a specific situation where a ref's blown call has cost a team a game its a problem. Screw the penalties. In Denver vs. San Diago, Cutler fumbled the Chargers recovered the ball, GAME OVER, but because the ref's judgement was shot the Chargers dont get the ball when they should have and the Bronco's go on to win the game. The Chargers did what they need to do, they forced a turnover.
Posted Image