Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest 410finest

Do Nfl Ref's Get Fined For Making Bad Calls?

48 posts in this topic

Every week I see the NFL refs are making wrong calls. NFL players get fine for any little thing they do or say. Do refs get fine for making these bad calls? I think the ref should be accounted for and punish for calls the make and later founded to be wrong. 1 bad call cost us a game. A roughing the passer call against Suggs was straight BS.

Nope, they get graded.

I agree that "everyone makes mistakes" to a POINT however.. if it costs a team the game they should at least be pentalized in some way.. if they have repeated bad marks against them, I think the NFL should fine them.

I don't mind a ref making mistakes if they admit that they have made one. Refereeing is difficult. You can't get every call right. But it's just frustrating that most officials seem to think that they are infallible, and Mike Perriera facillitates this behaviour by agreeing with the call on the field at all times. Though it is admirable to have such loyalty to his officials, it is to the detriment of the league.

IMO, this year's officiating is the worst I have ever seen!

The bad officiating is literally costing "games" for certain teams.

Goodell better get these guys under control!

[quote name='PIG 20' post='81525' date='Oct 29 2008, 09:36 AM']IMO, this year's officiating is the worst I have ever seen!

Goodell better get these guys under control![/quote]

I agree, when it starts costing teams WINS thats when somebody NEEDS to get it under control.

as long as its not one of americas sweet hearts they dont care if the calls are wrong. refs hate us and we hate them. i think they should get fined for bad calls.

[quote name='410finest' post='81518' date='Oct 29 2008, 09:24 AM']Every week I see the NFL refs are making wrong calls. NFL players get fine for any little thing they do or say. Do refs get fine for making these bad calls? I think the ref should be accounted for and punish for calls the make and later founded to be wrong. 1 bad call cost us a game. A roughing the passer call against Suggs was straight BS.[/quote]

mistakes happen and most of the time they do not cost a game. Did the Suggs call really cost us the game? Hard to say. My question is, why not make more calls reviewable or allow coaches to challenge the officials in some other way. For example, on the Suggs call, that play never happened according to the rules. There was an offensive penalty that should have killed the play instantly. You can argue that Suggs should have never touched the QB (and I would make that reviewable by replay) and that's why he got a deadball foul, but be logical refs. If you had done your job, Suggs would not have even been in the backfield. A lot of bad calls could be fixed if we had the process in place to allow refs to review more or reconsider calls.

[quote name='PIG 20' post='81525' date='Oct 29 2008, 09:36 AM']IMO, this year's officiating is the worst I have ever seen!

Goodell better get these guys under control![/quote]

I agree. Its out of hand. Refs are not only costing teams games but they are becoming an accomplist in player injuries because they are either not blowing the whistle as soon as a play is dead, like on the Suggs play, or they are allowing team to take shots after the whistle has been blow and not flagging them for it, ie Haynesworth hit on Flacco and the cheap shot that got Edgar Jones knicked up vs. Miami. The refs and the NFL rules need to go back to the basics because the refs obviously cant handle all the stress they are under. Never have I seen refs drastically affect the game the way that they are this year. Playoff teams this year will hinge on whether they are in the good graces of the refs or not. ie San Diago and Baltimore.

It's a tough job being a referee. You alway's get the blame from one side of the game, the losers. Not to mention they are constricted by rule books, fast plays, human eyes, and yes human emotions.

I do not have an issue with bad calls (even though I will get as upset as the next guy), if that's all it is, as long as these guys aren't betting on games, etc.

[quote name='Rinbee' post='81538' date='Oct 29 2008, 09:21 AM']mistakes happen and most of the time they do not cost a game. Did the Suggs call really cost us the game? Hard to say. My question is, why not make more calls reviewable or allow coaches to challenge the officials in some other way. For example, on the Suggs call, that play never happened according to the rules. There was an offensive penalty that should have killed the play instantly. You can argue that Suggs should have never touched the QB (and I would make that reviewable by replay) and that's why he got a deadball foul, but be logical refs. If you had done your job, Suggs would not have even been in the backfield. A lot of bad calls could be fixed if we had the process in place to allow refs to review more or reconsider calls.[/quote]

I agree. No one is perfect, I now the refs wontget all the calls right but more calls should be viewable and i think as long as the team have time outs they should be able to challenge a play or call. Someone should be accountable for a bad call made.
Why arent these peple who views the ref calls in games arent the ones viewing a challege play. I just want to see a team get fair due. Esp the Ravens.

[quote name='410finest' post='81551' date='Oct 29 2008, 10:54 AM']I agree. No one is perfect, I now the refs wontget all the calls right but more calls should be viewable and i think as long as the team have time outs they should be able to challenge a play or call. Someone should be accountable for a bad call made.
Why arent these peple who views the ref calls in games arent the ones viewing a challege play. I just want to see a team get fair due. Esp the Ravens.[/quote]

Really the NFL doesn't need to punish the refs as much as they need to change the rule book. Allow challenges on penalties. Give the ref the ability to overturn previous calls, etc. It's bad when the refs have to make a quick decision, but then realize it was a bad call, and can't do anything about it.

What about showing blatant Bias? Sure, we won Sunday, but I'm still pissed at the Refs!! Oakland comes into the game averaging 13.6 penalties for 98.3 yards/game, and they get flagged twice for ten yards!!

Meanwhile, just about every Big Play we get, there's a late flag for phantom holding, and linemen downfield. I saw Suggs get tackled on his way to the QB at least twice, and Pryce at least once, I'm sure there were many more!

I thought this game proved more than any other how much the Refs have it in for us! When was the last time Oakland only had 2 penalties? Probably the last time they played us!

If you're going to call ticky-tack holding on us, at least call it on them when our guys are getting tackled every play. You want to know what's wrong with our Pass Rush, I'll tell you, they are being held every play and the refs won't call it, because they hate our Defense!!

[quote name='Gwaihir' post='81572' date='Oct 29 2008, 11:55 AM']What about showing blatant Bias? Sure, we won Sunday, but I'm still pissed at the Refs!! Oakland comes into the game averaging 13.6 penalties for 98.3 yards/game, and they get flagged twice for ten yards!!

Meanwhile, just about every Big Play we get, there's a late flag for phantom holding, and linemen downfield. I saw Suggs get tackled on his way to the QB at least twice, and Pryce at least once, I'm sure there were many more!

I thought this game proved more than any other how much the Refs have it in for us! When was the last time Oakland only had 2 penalties? Probably the last time they played us!

If you're going to call ticky-tack holding on us, at least call it on them when our guys are getting tackled every play. You want to know what's wrong with our Pass Rush, I'll tell you, they are being held every play and the refs won't call it, because they hate our Defense!![/quote]

I see the Rams sent video to the NFL b/c the Patriots received NO penalties in their game last week. Maybe the Ravens should jump on the bandwagon. If enough teams make noise maybe something will get done.

or maybe the Raidahs were too focused on not committing penalties, instead of trying to win the game?!

They definitely shouldn't be fined. Players only get fined for mistakes that cause injury (or possibly blatantly disruptive). The lowliest of the players still earns an order of magnitude over the highest paid ref.

Having said that if you are consistently making mistakes as in any job: "hit the bricks pal".

I also agree that if they are going to throw a flag on something that calls the play dead, blow that whistle.

It isn't always the ref's fault. If we put ourselve in position to win the game, penalties shouldn't matter. Cliche, but true.

Should we fine refs? No. If you mess up at work, do they fine you? They don't make millions of dollars, like the athletes, so we shouldn't fine them.

I agree that there should be more options for challening a play. I think the rules should be more lenient, to allow for common sense. For example, the Suggs penalty in the Titans game. According to the rules, it is a penalty...but come on, seriously (not to mention Haynesworth got no penalty for tackling and landing on Flacco on a deadball earlier in that game).

The NFL needs to make penalties challengable! The Titans are 6-1 and the Ravens are 5-3. That roughing the passer call was BS and something like that needs to be reviewed and compared with what the NFL states is a personal foul. His fingers tapped his helmet unintentionally, there is no penalty. The problem is even if its completely unfounded and wrong there is no way to reverse a penalty unlike a play. THAT needs to change.

[quote name='itscbm5042' post='81607' date='Oct 29 2008, 02:10 PM']The NFL needs to make penalties challengable! The Titans are 6-1 and the Ravens are 5-3. That roughing the passer call was BS and something like that needs to be reviewed and compared with what the NFL states is a personal foul. His fingers tapped his helmet unintentionally, there is no penalty. The problem is even if its completely unfounded and wrong there is no way to reverse a penalty unlike a play. THAT needs to change.[/quote]

If the refs had done what they were supposed to do on a procedure call and blow the play dead, Suggs never would have crossed the LOS. I agree with more reviewable calls, but we already have the rules we need to have gotten this one right.

[quote name='itscbm5042' post='81607' date='Oct 29 2008, 02:10 PM']The NFL needs to make penalties challengable! The Titans are 6-1 and the Ravens are 5-3. That roughing the passer call was BS and something like that needs to be reviewed and compared with what the NFL states is a personal foul. His fingers tapped his helmet unintentionally, there is no penalty. The problem is even if its completely unfounded and wrong there is no way to reverse a penalty unlike a play. THAT needs to change.[/quote]

lol I totally agree w/you...some of their calls are totally bs, and sometimes they miss calls altogether...we need to challenge for a flag sometimes, even if it slows the game down...the refs need to get it right.

[quote name='Ravens1990' post='81592' date='Oct 29 2008, 01:16 PM']It isn't always the ref's fault. If we put ourselve in position to win the game, penalties shouldn't matter. Cliche, but true.

Should we fine refs? No. [b]If you mess up at work, do they fine you?[/b] They don't make millions of dollars, like the athletes, so we shouldn't fine them.

I agree that there should be more options for challening a play. I think the rules should be more lenient, to allow for common sense. For example, the Suggs penalty in the Titans game. According to the rules, it is a penalty...but come on, seriously (not to mention Haynesworth got no penalty for tackling and landing on Flacco on a deadball earlier in that game).[/quote]

In some cases you do have to pay for your mistake if that mistake has cost your job money. And depending on the severity you are fired on the spot. Any time you can point to a specific situation where a ref's blown call has cost a team a game its a problem. Screw the penalties. In Denver vs. San Diago, Cutler fumbled the Chargers recovered the ball, GAME OVER, but because the ref's judgement was shot the Chargers dont get the ball when they should have and the Bronco's go on to win the game. The Chargers did what they need to do, they forced a turnover.

[quote name='neepo13' post='81541' date='Oct 29 2008, 10:31 AM']I agree. Its out of hand. Refs are not only costing teams games but they are becoming an accomplist in player injuries because they are either not blowing the whistle as soon as a play is dead, like on the Suggs play, or they are allowing team to take shots after the whistle has been blow and not flagging them for it, ie Haynesworth hit on Flacco and the cheap shot that got Edgar Jones knicked up vs. Miami. The refs and the NFL rules need to go back to the basics because the refs obviously cant handle all the stress they are under. Never have I seen refs drastically affect the game the way that they are this year. Playoff teams this year will hinge on whether they are in the good graces of the refs or not. ie San Diago and Baltimore.[/quote]
This year has been bad, but last year was also really bad.
It's really going to far, and why is nothing being done? There could be a handful of things they could do to get the calls right. If a ref makes a bad call, Fine! But there should be a way for them to make up for it. One thing would defiently be, let the play finish before they whistle the play dead, for instance: There's a fumble but the ref thinks its down and blows the whistle to stop the play, if the other team picks it up and has a chance to run it for a TD they couldent, because the dumb whistle rule. Let the play finish!

I think we should all make a petiton and send it to the NFL, to look into helping the calls be made right. Its not fair that a ref can make a team lose because of a bad call.

They get "graded down" and it could affect their chance at working the playoffs and Super Bowl and it could cost them their jobs.... This year, the refs have been just plain awful, I'd grade them all a D- or F

[quote name='FerrariFan87' post='81855' date='Oct 29 2008, 09:49 PM']They get "graded down" and it could affect their chance at working the playoffs and Super Bowl and it could cost them their jobs.... This year, the refs have been just plain awful, I'd grade them all a D- or F[/quote]
IDK, i just hate the refs this year. they miss on the most blatant pass interference and holding calls, on both sides.
big fat [size=4][color="#ff0000"][b]F[/b][/color][/size]

It's pretty bad when the refs calls costs a team a win and they can loose momentum and turn the whole outcome of a season around. They deserve to be fined if not fired 4 that sht. We need stiffer rules, I always thought YOU SHOULD be able to challange a penalty on a play that means alot. like if a team gets a 50 yard TD but thier was an obvious hold that directly effects the play.(which I've seen many times).

the problem is their trying to impact way to many rules..These guys are trying to do to much trying to preotect everyone that football will become flag football... I mean i understand blind shots and thinks but Football is a physical, hard hitting, emotional sport.. People were their emotions on their arm and let the other team have it.. Its been like that for years and no one has complained...

Something need to be done about these calls that are costing a team the game. I understand the refs dont make NFL players $$$$$$$ but they have a job to do. When you at work and you do something wrong, your not fined, maybe wrote up or repremanded depending on the severirty of the mistake. Either way something need to be done. Until the NFL starts punishing these ref , These bad calls will happen, The ref could care less who wins or lose. Sometimes i question that theory also. After the scandal with the ref in the NBA, I think all refs should be accountable for the bad calls being made.

[quote name='mpplaya07' post='81905' date='Oct 30 2008, 02:35 AM']the problem is their trying to impact way to many rules..These guys are trying to do to much trying to preotect everyone that football will become flag football... I mean i understand blind shots and thinks but Football is a physical, hard hitting, emotional sport.. People were their emotions on their arm and let the other team have it.. Its been like that for years and no one has complained...[/quote]

The league is taking two directions with the rule book. 1) They want to protect players, especially the QB as much as possible and 2) They want to eliminate "judgement" calls by the ref.

But these two things contradict themselves. How can you eliminate judgement calls if you are calling ticky-tacky fouls to protect the QB. There is too much judgement needed in these calls.

What they need to do is a define a line on each penatly. What consitutes roughing the passer? Etc. Then they need to be able to review (or allow challenges) against penalties, to determine if that line was actually crossed. Perfect example would be the Suggs incident barring the false start penalty.

I believe Refs should be full-time employees; just throwing that out there as I think it would dramatically help with the bad calls.

[quote name='BrownsFan' post='81957' date='Oct 30 2008, 09:30 AM']I believe Refs should be full-time employees; just throwing that out there as I think it would dramatically help with the bad calls.[/quote]

I agree. Let these guys be professionals instead of part-timers. Have them go to yearly conferences, where they wake up early, eat danishes, drink coffee, and review game tape.

[quote name='PuRock' post='81953' date='Oct 30 2008, 08:18 AM']The league is taking two directions with the rule book. 1) They want to protect players, especially the QB as much as possible and 2) They want to eliminate "judgement" calls by the ref.

But these two things contradict themselves. How can you eliminate judgement calls if you are calling ticky-tacky fouls to protect the QB. There is too much judgement needed in these calls.

What they need to do is a define a line on each penatly. What consitutes roughing the passer? Etc. Then they need to be able to review (or allow challenges) against penalties, to determine if that line was actually crossed. Perfect example would be the Suggs incident barring the false start penalty.[/quote]

Protecting the QB? BS.... QB's are football players. I swear this game is getting softer by the play. I understand QB's are a important part of a team but so are Linemen, receivers and RB's. RB's get the **** knock out of them every play. You dont need a TOP notch QB to win a Super Bowl... We proved that point already.

Ref are making bad calls and should get some kind os punishment when a ****** up call can cause a team the game. I belive strongly a bad call reflects a teams permformace.

If protecting the QB was so important, why didn't they call Eli down during the superbowl. We all seen the results of a bad call or in this case bad no call. (Still pissed about that loss and the lost of $500.00 ) lol

I 'm not hoping for anyone to get injured but that **** happens.. been like that for years. If you played the sport you know injuries happen.