Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ed_Reed20

2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

3,122 posts in this topic

With the draft, an off-season with the potential to see some top talents move teams, and the Olympics all on the horizon, I thought it would make sense to start a thread to discuss everything to do with the NBA.

Since when do new topics have to make sense? I kid...

Do you see Anthony Davis making a significant impact in NO this season?

[quote name='FerrariFan87' timestamp='1340632429' post='1093046']
Since when do new topics have to make sense? I kid...

Do you see Anthony Davis making a significant impact in NO this season?
[/quote]

:lol:

He should make an impact on the defensive end. It's probably going to take him a while to become a legitimate scoring presence.

I see Davis being there top scorer. Who else do they got? Haha. Over time I think he'll become a beast for them.

I think MKG will have the best career.

Sigh. Ray Allen and Steve Nash would like to play for the Heat. Will they even have the money for them? I guess they would have to take less money to play there?

[quote name='Ravens<3' timestamp='1340676862' post='1093307']
I see Davis being there top scorer. Who else do they got? Haha. Over time I think he'll become a beast for them.

I think MKG will have the best career.
[/quote]

Assuming they re-sign him, Eric Gordon will be their top scorer, easily.

Of any player in the draft? I think Beal, Barnes or Terrence Jones will be the most successful players. I like MKG, but he's raw offensively and he can't really shoot.

[quote name='bauer77' timestamp='1340696120' post='1093339']
Sigh. Ray Allen and Steve Nash would like to play for the Heat. Will they even have the money for them? I guess they would have to take less money to play there?
[/quote]

Both would have to take well below what they're worth. Exciting times.

If Allen and Nash take their talents to South Beach, the league should just go ahead and award the Heat their 2nd championship in a row.

[quote name='ravens__' timestamp='1340719571' post='1093376']
If Allen and Nash take their talents to South Beach, the league should just go ahead and award the Heat their 2nd championship in a row.
[/quote]
The real question would be whether or not they beat the bulls reg season record

[quote name='Ed_Reed20' timestamp='1340713941' post='1093358']
Assuming they re-sign him, Eric Gordon will be their top scorer, easily.

Of any player in the draft? I think Beal, Barnes or Terrence Jones will be the most successful players. I like MKG, but he's raw offensively and he can't really shoot.
[/quote]
Oh yeah, I forgot they got Gordon. I still think he'll contribute a lot offensively, whether thats offensive rebounds or scoring in the post.

And yeah, I think he'll have the best career when it's all said and done for players coming out this draft. MKG is still very young, (I think his 19th birthday is on draft night) so he has a lot of time to try and develope his offensive game more. I love the way he attacks the rim, he just stands out to me.

[quote name='Ravens<3' timestamp='1340736572' post='1093474']
Oh yeah, I forgot they got Gordon. I still think he'll contribute a lot offensively, whether thats offensive rebounds or scoring in the post.

And yeah, I think he'll have the best career when it's all said and done for players coming out this draft. MKG is still very young, ([b]I think his 19th birthday is on draft night[/b]) so he has a lot of time to try and develope his offensive game more. I love the way he attacks the rim, he just stands out to me.
[/quote]

Beal's birthday is on draft night.

Honestly, the Wizards can do no wrong with whoever they pick be it, MKG, Beal or Robinson if he gets past Charlotte. If you had asked me a month or even a week ago, I would have told you MKG is the more logical pick of the three but after the acquisition of Ariza, Beal is the heavy favorite.

[quote name='ravens__' timestamp='1340740245' post='1093488']
Beal's birthday is on draft night.

Honestly, the Wizards can do no wrong with whoever they pick be it, MKG, Beal or Robinson if he gets past Charlotte. If you had asked me a month or even a week ago, I would have told you MKG is the more logical pick of the three but after the acquisition of Ariza, Beal is the heavy favorite.
[/quote]
That's right, MKG is on September 28th. Even though the Wizards made that trade I still would hate to look back and regret passing on him.

I dont really get the Steve Nash to Miami talk. It just doesnt make sense from a basketball standpoint. Lebron and Wade already dominate the ball, which is what Nash does best. He is also a great shooter and I could see him fitting in as a 3 point shooter who can create. I just think it would be a shame to put Nash on a team where his true passing brilliance goes by the way. Then again, I want to see Nash win a title so I might actually cheer for that team.

I think Nash would fit well there. He'll probably lead the league in assist haha. I too would root for Nash to get his ring.

[quote name='Ravens<3' timestamp='1340750486' post='1093523']
I think Nash would fit well there. He'll probably lead the league in assist haha. I too would root for Nash to get his ring.
[/quote]

I disagree here. The offense needs to run through Lebron, the Finals made that abundantly clear. What does Nash do? Get the ball to Lebron? Waste of talent.

[quote name='gabefergy' timestamp='1340751109' post='1093524']
I disagree here. The offense needs to run through Lebron, the Finals made that abundantly clear. What does Nash do? Get the ball to Lebron? Waste of talent.
[/quote]
He'll just take Chalmers role. A more talented weapon on the floor thats a threat to do anything. Nash could get his ring, and help Cole develope in the process so one day Cole could become the starter. I know Chalmers still has years left on his contract but if the Heat decide they want to move him, or just rotate Nash/Chalmers/Cole together (which is scary) if they can even afford to do that.

Chalmers is nice and still young, but if I could choose between Nash and him to play PG on the Heat (& only the Heat) then I would choose Nash. I also think Cole is very promising.

[quote name='Ravens<3' timestamp='1340751921' post='1093529']
He'll just take Chalmers role. A more talented weapon on the floor thats a threat to do anything. Nash could get his ring, and help Cole develope in the process so one day Cole could become the starter. I know Chalmers still has years left on his contract but if the Heat decide they want to move him, or just rotate Nash/Chalmers/Cole together (which is scary) if they can even afford to do that.

Chalmers is nice and still young, but if I could choose between Nash and him to play PG on the Heat (& only the Heat) then I would choose Nash. I also think Cole is very promising.
[/quote]

Nash is clearly a better PG than Chalmers, but Mario plays an important role for the Heat. He plays D, hits open jumpers, and occasionally makes a play. Nash would do well I am sure, but his defense is a liability. I would rather see him play on a team where he can direct an offense and create. Ray Allen on the other hand would be a great fit in Miami.

[quote name='bauer77' timestamp='1340696120' post='1093339']
[/quote]

Yeah, I read that any free agent that wants to sign with the Heat will have to settle for the "Mid-Level Exception"... both guys are millionaires many times over, so money shouldn't be the deciding factor.

[quote name='gabefergy' timestamp='1340771765' post='1093595']
Nash is clearly a better PG than Chalmers, but Mario plays an important role for the Heat. He plays D, hits open jumpers, and occasionally makes a play. Nash would do well I am sure, but his defense is a liability. I would rather see him play on a team where he can direct an offense and create. Ray Allen on the other hand would be a great fit in Miami.
[/quote]

I agree wholeheartedly. It may not happen but Chalmers still has time to develop into a more consistent player. As great as Nash is, I'd prefer it if Mario remained the starter with all he brings to the team and continue watching Cole develop. Landing Allen would be amazing. He'd complete the second unit.

[quote name='FerrariFan87' timestamp='1340819522' post='1093772']
P.S. My Heat championship t-shirt finally shipped!!
[/quote]

Awesome. Looking to pick one up myself really soon.

Does anyone think the Rockets will be able to land D-Howard (and subsequently sign him long-term) AND get D-Will in free agency?

[quote name='FerrariFan87' timestamp='1340851586' post='1093963']
Does anyone think the Rockets will be able to land D-Howard (and subsequently sign him long-term) AND get D-Will in free agency?
[/quote]

I don't think they have the cap space to pull that off. It would be quite the coup though.

The buzz seems to be that the Lakers are going to get Josh Smith for Pau Gasol. Smith is younger and puts up similar numbers to Pau while adding much needing athleticism and cap relief. Gasol gives the Hawks a true center. The deal makes sense for both sides, and I think it's a better deal than trading Pau for Iguodala. There would be a gaping hole at power forward in that scenario that couldn't really be filled. I still think it's a good idea to use amnesty on Artest though, he costs too much.

[/quote]
No way. Now how.

[/quote]
They'd have to get rid of scola to pull that off... They just paid him big money last year

[quote name='codizzle' timestamp='1340917481' post='1094153']
They'd have to get rid of scola to pull that off... They just paid him big money last year
[/quote]

You win more games with D-Will and D12 playing 2 on 5 than you win with Scola and the roster they have now.

[quote name='codizzle' timestamp='1340917481' post='1094153']
[/quote]

Scola [i]and[/i] either Lowry or Dragic.

My point still holds. Heck, get rid of them both. D-Will is all the PG you need, you can pick up a cheap guy to get you a few minutes. Dragic and Lowry make decent trade bait.

Anthony Davis officially a New Orleans Hornet. Charlotte got screwed big time and should have been the ones taking Davis. Maybe the NBA should adapt the NFL's Draft Order policy for at least the Top 5 where the Top 5 worse teams get the top 5 picks with the 6-28 being determined by the Draft Lottery and whoever made it to the finals would be picking 29-30.

Can someone explain what the big deal about Davis is? I keep hearing him touted as a Center, but he looks like a PF to me. And he's not that good offensively. I don't understand the hype. He's not the next great NBA big man. We haven't had one of those since Shaq dominated, or Olajuwon in the 90s.

[quote name='T3hRaven' timestamp='1340926779' post='1094185']
Can someone explain what the big deal about Davis is? I keep hearing him touted as a Center, but he looks like a PF to me. And he's not that good offensively. I don't understand the hype. He's not the next great NBA big man. We haven't had one of those since Shaq dominated, or Olajuwon in the 90s.
[/quote]
He is a PF.
Rarely do we see players coming out of college as big and talented as Davis is. He can run the floor great (which is super rare for his size) he can guard anyone, he can shot block, rebound, and he improves his offense in every game it seems.

[quote name='bauer77' timestamp='1340927340' post='1094187']
Wizards get Beal like i wanted! YES!
[/quote]
Great get for the Wiz. Beal and Wall make a very solid backcourt. Their froncourt isnt bad either with solid depth.

Damn... the Hornets got Austin Rivers to go along with Anthony Davis.

I'm happy with the Wizards getting Beal. I'm even happier that MKG went to the Bobcats. That way when he blows up, I won't feel bad about the Wizards passing on him.

I know he looked depressed though, lmao.

[quote name='JO_75' timestamp='1340929787' post='1094192']
Damn... the Hornets got Austin Rivers to go along with Anthony Davis.
[/quote]
They're going to be fun to watch next season.

[quote name='Ravens<3' timestamp='1340930187' post='1094194']
They're going to be fun to watch next season.
[/quote]

Oh yeah. I'm not really into the NBA much, really don't have a team but can someone tell me exactly how the Lottery works? Is it just random drawing to see who picks where?

[quote name='JO_75' timestamp='1340930621' post='1094198']
Oh yeah. I'm not really into the NBA much, really don't have a team but can someone tell me exactly how the Lottery works? Is it just random drawing to see who picks where?
[/quote]

All of the non-playoff teams get a chance to win the top pick with the worst team having the best odds (like 25%). The next best team has a slightly lower percentage and so on. There is a drawing to see who is awarded the picks.

Sullinger didnt drop as far as i thought he would. People were saying he would drop to the 2nd round. Just got picked #21 to the Celtics.

Happy that the "hometown" Wizards were able to land Beal... he'll be a really nice player for us.

So pissed my boy Henry Sims wasn't picked but all these foreign players who'll never see the court were.

[quote name='FerrariFan87' timestamp='1340941357' post='1094221']
Happy that the "hometown" Wizards were able to land Beal... he'll be a really nice player for us.
[/quote]
You cant say "us" Mr. Heat fan.

I love what the Celtics did in this draft. Took two risky players at great value.

[quote name='gabefergy' timestamp='1340949721' post='1094248']
You cant say "us" Mr. Heat fan.
[/quote]

Freudian slip... I can still have a soft spot for them ;)

[quote name='Ravens<3' timestamp='1340951644' post='1094252']
I love what the Celtics did in this draft. Took two risky players at great value.
[/quote]

If Sullinger can stay healthy, they'll have a formidable front line for sure... and we know Doc is gonna coach 'em up.

[quote name='FerrariFan87' timestamp='1340977026' post='1094293']
If Sullinger can stay healthy, they'll have a formidable front line for sure... and we know Doc is gonna coach 'em up.
[/quote]
And if KG stays another year, Fab Melo gets to learn behind him.
...watch out.
Celtics will always be nice, they have a core of talented young players with Rondo, Bradley, Sullinger & Melo

[quote name='Ravens<3' timestamp='1340978909' post='1094304']
And if KG stays another year, Fab Melo gets to learn behind him.
...watch out.
Celtics will always be nice, they have a core of talented young players with Rondo, Bradley, Sullinger & Melo
[/quote]

More than likely, KG will come back. He LOVES it there. And he loves being coached by Rivers.

Magic discuss Dwight Howard trade to Nets for 3 players and 3 first round picks.

It must be tough to be a Magic fan.