Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Militant X 1

Can We "Sweep" The NFC East?

92 posts in this topic

[quote name='Dfence4champs2052' timestamp='1339526221' post='1088542']
I agree and think we can go 3-1 or 4-0 versus them personally but I would hate to lose to any of them but particuarly the skins, cowboys or giants. It will be a long season for me lol.
[/quote]

The way I look at each game - The Redskins have a rookie quarterback, and look how well that's worked against the Ravens' defense over the years. The Cowboys have IMO the biggest choker in the game in Romo - he'll always help you in fantasy leagues, but he never does well against good defenses, and we're at home. The Eagles have a terrible run defense, and the best they did to address it was trade for a washed-up DeMeco Ryans and draft Fletcher Cox and Michael Kendricks - is that enough to shore up a defense that allowed 5.1 YPC last year, especially after the Ravens beefed up both the offensive line and the backup running back position? I think Rice and Allen/Pierce/Berry will combine for over 150 yards at least. Not to mention I don't see Michael Vick beating us through the air, which he will have to do. The Giants always get hot in December, and Eli is the best QB in that division when he's on, so I can see them beating us, especially if they are still trying to clinch a playoff birth.

Everyone is discounting the Redskins, but it will be a tough game for us. Not because of their team, just look at the schedule;
@Pittsburg
@San Diego
Pittsburg
@ Washington
With 2 steeler games in 3 weeks we will be lucky if we have 45 healthy players at that point. And we have to go across the country and play a good Chargers team in between. The league kind of killed us with that stretch.

[quote name='bMore Heathen' timestamp='1339710791' post='1089808']
Everyone is discounting the Redskins, but it will be a tough game for us. Not because of their team, just look at the schedule;
@Pittsburg
@San Diego
Pittsburg
@ Washington
[b]With 2 steeler games in 3 weeks we will be lucky if we have 45 healthy players at that point. And we have to go across the country and play a good Chargers team in between. The league kind of killed us with that stretch[/b].
[/quote]

After Pittsburgh plays us twice in three weeks, they've got San Diego, Dallas and Cincinnati! A tough row to hoe... :)

Think we will do like we did 4 years ago. Go 3 for 4. Don't think we beat Giants, pass rush and receivers are top notch.

Of course we can and it is very possible we will, unless we have some choker games against sorry teams, like last season.

The Eagles were nothing last year and I expect no more this year. Some "dream team". The Skins have potential, but they are not up to the task of beating the Ravens this year. Too inconsistent. (sound like anyone we know) Maybe in a couple more years...The Cowboys are hampered by Romo, so I am not worried about them and the Giants, while they did win the SB, are still overrated. Now if there were an NFC division that included the Saints, the Packers, the Niners, and maybe the Bears, I might be concerned. NFC east will be practice for the Ravens. They will likely be practice for the Steelers too, maybe.

Tony Romo is a really, really solid quarterback and all of you people writing the Cowboys game off because of him are silly.

You should be writing it off because the Cowboys are really, really bad all the time.

Romo is a middling QB, that's all. He may develop into something more, but I doubt it. Although I agree that the Cowboys also are a poor team overall. It should be an easy win.

[quote name='RivenHale' timestamp='1339818216' post='1090405']
Tony Romo is a really, really solid quarterback and all of you people writing the Cowboys game off because of him are silly.

You should be writing it off because the Cowboys are really, really bad all the time.
[/quote]

He's solid alright, but he also consistently comes up short under pressure. Did it last year against the Giants. And I pretty much write any quarterback off against the Ravens defense. Quarterbacks can have solid outings against us, but rarely do they outright dominate us, and I already believe that this year's Ravens secondary could be the best in franchise history with Ed, Lardarius, Bernard, Jimmy, Cary, Danny, Chyckie, etc. And we play the Cowboys in October, which means that even if Sizzle isn't back by then, the defense IMO will have adjusted as well as it can by that point.

I have come to face the fact that there are no easy wins when it comes to the Ravens. We always seem to struggle against teams we should beat just as last season. I would be happy if we came out of this group with a 3 - 1 record.

[quote name='K-Dog' timestamp='1339549816' post='1088781']
I see wins against the Eagles, and Cowboys.
Giants a win as well but not quite as confidant.

I sadly and shamefully see the Skins game as a [i]potential[/i] loss due only to the fact that it is following two Pitts-burgh games and an away San Diego game. That is an exhausting physcal three weeks.
[/quote]
[quote name='bMore Heathen' timestamp='1339710791' post='1089808']
@Pittsburg
@San Diego
Pittsburg
@ Washington
With 2 steeler games in 3 weeks we will be lucky if we have 45 healthy players at that point. And we have to go across the country and play a good Chargers team in between. The league kind of killed us with that stretch.
[/quote]

I cringed when I saw this stretch of the schedule. Bad enough we play the squeelers a week apart with the second meeting after a trip west. I guess there is no travel involved(other than a short bus ride)to dc, but we will certainly be at a disadvantage after a tough 3 game stretch. We have to beat the skins or it will be 4 years of listening to crap from their fair weather fans!

That said, I think we can sweep these games. The toughest tests are at M and T and we will continue to be a formidable opponent at home.

So Philly has to play a healthy Ravens team. Doesn't that give them the disadvantage. And it may be a road game, all of 50 miles up the road. Not like the team will have jet lag. Lets look at that game rationally. The Eagles, the "Dream Team", who did nothing last year, couldn't even win their weak division, and the Ravens, who were a nose hair from the SB after sweeping one of the toughest divisions in the league. Hmmm. I will put my money on the Ravens in this one, so long as we can get past that whole losing to loser teams mentality.

Philly doesn't scare me at all. Living here in delaware, I see/hear about the Iggles..almost daily. It's going to take much more than Ryans to shore up that run defense. They run a scheme that actually forces teams to run to the weakest spot of their defense. They built it from the outside in, which is the opposite of how you build a successful defense.
As for Vick, he's still living off of that impressive first half of 2010. Jackson and maclin are good, but we've got the speed/size at cb to handle them. Mcoy is a beast, we'll have our hands full there. I just think that even without suggs, we can severely limit their offense that lives and dies by big plays.
Cowboys and skins will play us good, but I think we are better.
The Giants imo are the best team in the division, that will be the closest game out of the 4.

Honestly, I think that not only will the Ravens potentially sweep the nfc east, but Cincy and Pit are just as good as anyone in that division as well

Of course we CAN sweep...now will we? thats tough...but not impossible, anything is possible..hell, if the Ravens won the games they were supposed to last year they'd have gone UNDEFEATED !!!

The Eagles and Cowboys are dangerous teams, but just aren't very good consistently. I wouldn't be shocked to lose to one, but would be very shocked to lose to both. I'd rather play the Redskins earlier in the year before Griffin gets a handle on things, but that should still be a good game for us against a rookie. The defending champs are always hard. We played them the following year last time they won the Super Bowl, and it was the first time they ever beat us (in a game I'm sure many of us would like to forget). They're also dangerous in the last two weeks, because that division always seems to go down to weeks 16 and 17 to name a champion.
It'll be a tough couple of games, but we should win three of the four, at least.

I believe we can beat all of them if courtney upshaw does a great job for filling in terrell suggs (i dont think he'll replace him anytime soon) the ones we'd probably have trouble with is the eagles and redskins i think most likely will beat the cowboys and giants. The reason i think we'd have trouble with the eagles and redskins is because of there mobile quarterbacks.

[quote name='jaege' timestamp='1339872667' post='1090488']
Romo is a middling QB, that's all. He may develop into something more, but I doubt it. Although I agree that the Cowboys also are a poor team overall. It should be an easy win.
[/quote]

Honestly, the Cowboys probably would benefit from missing the playoffs and being in position to draft a QB from the 2013 Draft Class. They will win enough games where they won't get Matt Barkley(then again, nobody expected the Colts to draft Luck so anything is possible I guess) but be in position to trade up for someone.

Considering we play them early, we may see the good Tony Romo but I would have liked our chances more if it was late in the season where it was a high pressure situation to win. I'm not going to under estimate Washington though by the time we play them there will be enough tape on RG3 that we'll be able to shut him down when he tries to run. Eli is Eli, Vick is well Vick and I wouldn't be surprised to see us knock out Vick for a couple weeks for as fragile he is.

[quote name='jaege' timestamp='1339872667' post='1090488']
Romo is a middling QB, that's all. He may develop into something more, but I doubt it. Although I agree that [b]the Cowboys also are a poor team overall[/b]. [b]It should be [u]an easy win[/u].[/b]
[/quote]

[b][font=trebuchet ms, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#4b0082]and the chargers, seahawks, titans and jaguars last season were all suppose to be an "easy win" for our Ravens and we lost to all of those teams. the Cardinals were suppose to be an "easy win" and they came into M&T and gave us hell! so enough of the "easy win" talk....shhhhhhh!! LOL!!![/color][/font][/b]

[quote name='Militant X 1' timestamp='1340733669' post='1093458']
[b][font=trebuchet ms, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#4b0082]and the chargers, seahawks, titans and jaguars last season were all suppose to be an "easy win" for our Ravens and we lost to all of those teams. the Cardinals were suppose to be an "easy win" and they came into M&T and gave us hell! so enough of the "easy win" talk....shhhhhhh!! LOL!!![/color][/font][/b]
[/quote]

You will note in my earlier post that I did state that we would sweep so long as we did not have the same issue of losing to scrubs like last season. If the team that played the good teams last year shows up, then the NFC East is a foregone conclusion. If we lose to scrub teams then we get swept, because that is what the NFC East is, all scrubs.

[quote name='jaege' timestamp='1340745608' post='1093509']
You will note in my earlier post that I did state that we would sweep so long as we did not have the same issue of losing to scrubs like last season. If the team that played the good teams last year shows up, then the NFC East is a foregone conclusion. If we lose to scrub teams then we get swept, because that is what the [u][b]NFC East is, all scrubs[/b][/u].
[/quote]

[color=#4b0082][font=trebuchet ms, helvetica, sans-serif][b]so you see the Giants as scrubs? [/b][/font][/color]

[quote name='awholelottahaloti' timestamp='1340031529' post='1090919']
I cringed when I saw this stretch of the schedule. Bad enough we play the squeelers a week apart with the second meeting after a trip west. I guess there is no travel involved(other than a short bus ride)to dc, but we will certainly be at a disadvantage after a tough 3 game stretch. We have to beat the skins or it will be 4 years of listening to crap from their fair weather fans!

That said, I think we can sweep these games. The toughest tests are at M and T and we will continue to be a formidable opponent at home.
[/quote]

We are all looking at the schedule from the Ravens standpoint, but the Redskins don't have it easy coming into the game against us either. First off they play 3 of the toughest division in the NFL imo this year. The NFC East, NFC South, and of course the AFC North.

Coming into the Ravens game the Skins will play the Eagles, Cowboys and Gaints. Those are 3 striaght division games and the Gaints game is on MNF.

Their overall schedule will be tough for any team to handle, especially one with a rookie QB. I do think we're at a bigger disadvantage based on the intensity of the Steelers games and how much we'll put into beating the Chargers after last season. However the Ravens seems to find a way to get up for this games that mean a little more.

I don't think Harbs or any of the players would admit it, but they will view this as a bragging rights game and want to win it, especially for the fans.

As for sweeping the NFC East, it's possible, but it'll definitely be tough.

With the Eagles, I like the timing of our matchup. It's falls between a big MNF game in Baltimore for the first time since 07' and a rematch with the Pats. Now that doesn't sound like a good thing, my reason for saying so is because of focus. The Ravens have no problem focusing and locking in on the big time matchups. It's when we play teams we should beat we tend to let up a bit.

Each of the first 3 games will force the Ravens to have an indiviual focus instead of the bigger picture focus that seems to get us in trouble against lesser teams. So many people are doubting the Ravens after how the season ended, Suggs injury, and Reed offseason act. The Ravens love nothing more then to go out and prove they are one of the NFL's best. The first 3 games will present that stage for them. I think it'll be a well played game from both teams and of course early season chatter will be about a possible Super Bowl rematch.

We have the Cowboys at home which I love, seeing as how we have a 27-5 record at the Bank since 08'. However what I don't like is that this game follows a bye week for the Cowboys while the Ravens will be coming off a pretty tough 5 game strecth. It'll be a good game and the battle between Flacco and Romo will be a strong one. Which ever QB plays better in the 4th quarter will win this game.

I touched on the Skins game in my perivous post, I think they have a brutual schedule and while i think they'll be competitive, they'll find it hard to win tough games. I think this will be a sloppy played game as both team will be worn down. The Ravens will show to be the superior team, but untimely mental lapses on both sides of the ball will cause the game to be much closer then it should. Both teams will come to play and it'll be a bowl game like feel.

The Gaints game is the game I'm most excited about. My theme of 2012 is Flacco vs "". This will be another really good QB match between Flacco and Eli. They are much of the same as both are really good QBs that don't get the credit they deserve. Eli is starting to get his, but only because of the Superbowls. This will be a matchup of 2 really good teams fighting for their division crowns and playoff positioning. If this game isn't flexed it will at least be pushed back to a 4:15 game on Fox. This is game that will cap off a great regular season for Flacco, this is the game that will seperate him from younger QBs like Ryan, Freeman, Bradford, Dalton and others. It'll be the Ravens final home game before the playoffs, and the Bank will be rocking. it should be a great game.

i think becasue the NFC East is one of the toughest divisions in the NFL, the Ravens should fair well against them.

Ravens do very well against Vick.
We have great record against Cowboys.
The Redskins are the redskins.
Giants are tough but so are we and we're at home.

Too much being made of Suggs loss. We're still playing great aggressive defense.

We go 4-0. No worse than 3-1.

I feel like we definitely can, but my prediction is we go 2-2. Lose to either the Eagles & the Giants, or the Cowboys & the Giants.

Although, I would love to sweep them.

I think we may just go 3-1 against the NFC East this season, with the lone loss coming against the Eagles. Should we go and pull off a sweep, it will be a strong sweep.

[quote name='Militant X 1' timestamp='1340749740' post='1093519']
[color=#4b0082][font=trebuchet ms, helvetica, sans-serif][b]so you see the Giants as scrubs? [/b][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Maybe not complete scrubs, but they backed into the playoffs last year with an awesome 9/7 season. Wooo hooo! Regardless of winning a couple SBs Eli is not the anointed one that he is being made out to be. There are numerous QBs that are far superior with less SBs under their belts.
I give them there due, they won the title and deserve respect for that, but historically we have seen many teams win the SB who could not be called the[b] best [/b]team of that season. I believe this was one of those times. That being said, I have no expectation of any thing even remotely resembling a repeat for them. So not total scrubs, but they are not all that.

And do not confuse this with sour grapes. The team just does not impress. Of all the NFC East I expect the most trouble with the Skins this year to be honest. That is just the viewpoint of one fan. I could be completely wrong. We will know come December.

[quote name='jaege' timestamp='1341005845' post='1094406']
Maybe not complete scrubs, but they backed into the playoffs last year with an awesome 9/7 season. Wooo hooo! Regardless of winning a couple SBs Eli is not the anointed one that he is being made out to be. There are numerous QBs that are far superior with less SBs under their belts.
I give them there due, they won the title and deserve respect for that, but historically we have seen many teams win the SB who could not be called the[b] best [/b]team of that season. I believe this was one of those times. That being said, [b]I have no expectation of any thing even remotely resembling a repeat for them.[/b] So not total scrubs, [b]but they are not all that[/b].

And do not confuse this with sour grapes. The team just does not impress. Of all the NFC East I expect the most trouble with the Skins this year to be honest. That is just the viewpoint of one fan. I could be completely wrong. We will know come December.
[/quote]

[b][font=trebuchet ms, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#4b0082]i'm not saying that they are all of that either. but, i definitely would consider them to be scrubs.[/color][/font][/b]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]CAN we? Yes, of course we can.[/font][/i]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]WILL we? Remains to be seen, but I believe we will.[/font][/i]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Ravens 17, Eagles 13[/font][/i]
[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Ravens 21, Cowboys 13[/font][/i]
[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Ravens 17, Redskins 10[/font][/i]
[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Ravens 20, Giants 17[/font][/i]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]As for everyone else in our division, the Browns (0-4) the Bengals (2-2) and the Steelers (2-2, maybe 3-1).[/font][/i]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]As tough as the Ravens schedule seems, I honestly think they could go 16-0 this season. With the pre-existing talent, all the young key players we've attained the past two-years with a full off-season, OTAs, training camp... we should be steamrolling teams this season. We just have to stay away from those trap games and treat every game like the Super Bowl.[/font][/i]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]~ Malkavian Raven[/font][/i]

LOL at all you people saying the NFC East out of all divisions should be easy wins for our Ravens. NFC East is the toughest division in the league and its been that way since the early 90's. You see what the Giants record was going into the playoffs and most of their losses came from in house. Even though I'm optimistic that our Ravens can possibly sweep the NFC East, if not go 3-1, I'm not foolish enough to say the NFC East is week.

Eagles started coming on towards their last 5 games and it took them a little time to get it together but they have it together now and any team with Vick at QB is a dangerous team.

Redskins actually played pretty solid last year despite their QB issues and they even went toe to toe with the Pats losing in the end and I think they beat the SB Champs twice last season. That was Shananhans rookie year with the team so 1 year under their belt under his system wll only make them more dangerous and you add RG3 in the mix and that team becomes scary a little. I believe RG3 will catch on quick sort of like Cam, the kid is very keen.

The Giants will be tough regardless with their confidence sky high coming off their SB victory and Eli has potential to look like his brother a lot of times. They have the best front 4 in the business and with the question marks surrounding our O-line this season, could be a tough one for us, especially if we don't get Rice going like we did a few times last season.