Ed_Reed20

Football/Soccer Thread

1,988 posts in this topic

Well, things went pretty well for England. I just hope they continue to deploy two strikers even against superior competition.

I can't believe that the first two teams through the group stages are the pathetic Greece and Czech Republic - a Czech republic team that's only at the Euros because of horrendous officiating.

Germany and Portugal/Denmark/Holland are laughing at the free pass they just got to the next round.

Cristiano Ronaldo finally scores. Maybe that gets the monkey off his back finally. I know his team isn't anywhere close to as good as his Real Madrid team, but come on, even his worst detractors acknowledge the guy is a top 5 talent, and he NEEDS to play better than he has been for his national team.

Top 5 talent he is arguably the best player in the world. You can make a case for him or messi, no one else comes close

What a miss by Nani.

Great goal by the best player in the world. His run to get into position was almost as impressive as the composure he showed before the finish.

Top 5 talent he is arguably the best player in the world. You can make a case for him or messi, no one else comes close

I agree it's him and Messi, what I meant was even people who say he's overrated still call him a top-5 player. But up until this tournament he hadn't really done anything with Portugal at a major tournament - 5 goals since 2004. And that's what people say, that he doesn't show up the way other top players do for their national teams. Now in one match he scores 2. And he's got a great opportunity IMO to help Portugal advance - the Czechs somehow got through despite giving up more goals than they scored, and I think Ronaldo can really do something against them.

Edited by Ravenslifer

The same thing has been said about messi at international level as well and he has a far superior supporting cast at argentina than ronaldo does at portugal. Messi fans throw out ronaldos poor international play and ignore his own, really annoying that

The same thing has been said about messi at international level as well and he has a far superior supporting cast at argentina than ronaldo does at portugal. Messi fans throw out ronaldos poor international play and ignore his own, really annoying that

That's true - Messi has grown up with guys like Higuain and Aguero, not to mention Tevez and Rodriguez that were around when he first came in to take some pressure off. Ronaldo has had a barrage of players come in an out - Postiga is just hot and cold, Almeda and Nani have been in and out of the lineup, etc.

balotelli.jpg

Cracking goal by Balotelli last night.

Yeah that goal was good man, he just needs to keep his mouth shut. I think he was upset 'cause Prandelli (Italy's head coach) benched him at the start of the game.

By the way, I'd say Messi is better than Ronaldo. He's a close second, but Messi just has that edge. He almost never has an off day, which Ronaldo does.

Yeah that goal was good man, he just needs to keep his mouth shut. I think he was upset 'cause Prandelli (Italy's head coach) benched him at the start of the game.

By the way, I'd say Messi is better than Ronaldo. He's a close second, but Messi just has that edge. He almost never has an off day, which Ronaldo does.

You could argue that both have off days for their respective Countries. But like Messi, Ronaldo didn't put a foot wrong for his Club last season! He's been phenomenal every season in Club football dating back to his last two seasons in England.

I love his fiery attitude. He was definitely frustrated Prandelli benched him, but Leonardo Bonucci (the guy that covered his mouth after he scored) said Balotelli was speaking English. The Irish fans jeered him pretty hard as he came on in the second half; he was probably responding to them.

Like Rav said, Messi has his off-days, especially playing for his country. He was off against Milan in the first leg and in both legs against Chelsea.

Ronaldo is the better player in my opinion. He's more versatile, better in the air, better from set-pieces, passes the ball in open play just as well, and faster over a distance.

On another note, it's great to see Arsenal close to signing Olivier Giroud.

i think its ronaldo hands down. Messi just doesnt have the verstility ronaldo does. Ronaldo is one of thee best forwards in the air, he is one of the quickest, can get behind you, can shot in front of you, can go round, can head on you, he just has more in his armoury than messi. Ronaldo has a better scoring record, iirc, over 1 goal a game since going to real, he has alos done it in england at man united, im not so shure how messi would do week in week out over here tbh.

Messi is also pretty much one footed, whereas ronaldo is equally as good with both, which again adds to his versatility. Ronaldo is more complete, whereas, messi is better at what he does. Depends what youd rather have, but i think Barcelona and probably arsenal are avbout the only two teams messi could really shine due to how they play. Ronaldo would fit in any team, any formation, right left wing, lone striker, target man, playing off a striker, traditional 442..

ohh well all these discussions are fun but always down to the individual preferences. agree it all depends on how well a player fits in a team and in order to be great a fottballer needs to get it done both at club and national level.

but this year, I'm afraid this will happen again... in the words of Gary Lineker: ‘Football is a simple game, 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end the Germans win.'

I love his fiery attitude. He was definitely frustrated Prandelli benched him, but Leonardo Bonucci (the guy that covered his mouth after he scored) said Balotelli was speaking English. The Irish fans jeered him pretty hard as he came on in the second half; he was probably responding to them.

Like Rav said, Messi has his off-days, especially playing for his country. He was off against Milan in the first leg and in both legs against Chelsea.

Ronaldo is the better player in my opinion. He's more versatile, better in the air, better from set-pieces, passes the ball in open play just as well, and faster over a distance.

On another note, it's great to see Arsenal close to signing Olivier Giroud.

i think its ronaldo hands down. Messi just doesnt have the verstility ronaldo does. Ronaldo is one of thee best forwards in the air, he is one of the quickest, can get behind you, can shot in front of you, can go round, can head on you, he just has more in his armoury than messi. Ronaldo has a better scoring record, iirc, over 1 goal a game since going to real, he has alos done it in england at man united, im not so shure how messi would do week in week out over here tbh.

Messi is also pretty much one footed, whereas ronaldo is equally as good with both, which again adds to his versatility. Ronaldo is more complete, whereas, messi is better at what he does. Depends what youd rather have, but i think Barcelona and probably arsenal are avbout the only two teams messi could really shine due to how they play. Ronaldo would fit in any team, any formation, right left wing, lone striker, target man, playing off a striker, traditional 442..

I see your point guys, but Messi's bottomlevel or whatever you'd call it is that much better than Ronaldo's. Ronaldo is clearly better on paper, but Messi has that Maradona-like figure, small, versatile and elusive as hell. Apart from that, he has a better understanding for the game and oh, he can see into the future

Very surprised Milner has kept his place in the team. I'm assuming its precautionary since Walcott had a slight hamstring strain in training this week.

Milner is awful, i dont rate him at all, Ashley young hasnt been himself either. The english midfield is in dire straits at the minute tbh, if gerrard or Parker get injured they're [profanity deleted]ed

Milner is awful, i dont rate him at all, Ashley young hasnt been himself either. The english midfield is in dire straits at the minute tbh, if gerrard or Parker get injured they're [profanity deleted]ed

I'm a huge Liverpool supporter, so Steven better not get himself injured! Love to see the captain back in England

I see your point guys, but Messi's bottomlevel or whatever you'd call it is that much better than Ronaldo's. Ronaldo is clearly better on paper, but Messi has that Maradona-like figure, small, versatile and elusive as hell. Apart from that, he has a better understanding for the game and oh, he can see into the future

Messi's floor isn't significantly better than Ronaldo's and I don't see how he understands the game better either.

Agreed on Milner and Young. Hodgson could have made things so much easier on himself on the flanks had he taken Sturridge and Richards over Henderson and Kelly.

what exactly is he saying, looks like im number one messi?

I think he just pointed at the camera and said, "Messi...!".

awh i thought with the finger like no.1 he was saying something before that, so assumed, im no.1 MESSSSIIII

awh i thought with the finger like no.1 he was saying something before that, so assumed, im no.1 MESSSSIIII

I wouldn't have agreed with Ronaldo a few months ago, but after Messi's inability to play effectively without Xavi/Iniesta and Ronaldo's dragging Portugal through the Euros kicking and screaming I'm leaning towards him.

His all-round game is just superb, he doesn't really have a weakness.

I'm a huge Messi fan, but Ronaldo is definitely right up there with him, and may even be better at this point in time... he's absolutely on fire right now.