Ed_Reed20

Football/Soccer Thread

1,988 posts in this topic

I can't wait for the Euros either. It's been five years since France played a good tournament, but I'm hoping they show up this year. As always, the talent is there. It would be nice to C.Ronaldo, Nani and Portugal go deep as well.

I like some of France's new players since they don't have the petulance and arrogance that seemed to be mandatory to make the French squad before. I'd say they have a decent chance with players like Lloris, Rami, Sakho, Debuchy, Menez, Giroud, Gourcuff, Ribery and Benzema.

Portugal seem to be one of those international teams that have a lot of talent but just don't play well together.

I like some of France's new players since they don't have the petulance and arrogance that seemed to be mandatory to make the French squad before. I'd say they have a decent chance with players like Lloris, Rami, Sakho, Debuchy, Menez, Giroud, Gourcuff, Ribery and Benzema.

Portugal seem to be one of those international teams that have a lot of talent but just don't play well together.

Agreed. I'd say Ribery has a petulant and arrogant streak in him, and he's amazingly selfish for a winger. But I agree with your overall point. Sakho is a beast.

It seems so. Even going back to the Figo/Rui Costa days.

Agreed. I'd say Ribery has a petulant and arrogant streak in him, and he's amazingly selfish for a winger. But I agree with your overall point. Sakho is a beast.

It seems so. Even going back to the Figo/Rui Costa days.

Even though I hate him, Ribery is the sort of player that can take over a game (he and Giroud destroyed Iceland in their recent friendly).

Sakho is really underrated. You never hear about him, but he's one of the best defenders in the world, has over 100 appearances for PSG and already captains them. All done by 22.

Even though I hate him, Ribery is the sort of player that can take over a game (he and Giroud destroyed Iceland in their recent friendly).

Sakho is really underrated. You never hear about him, but he's one of the best defenders in the world, has over 100 appearances for PSG and already captains them. All done by 22.

Agreed on Ribery. I'm really hoping Arsenal sign Giroud.

Very impressive stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if a big club pursued him after the tournament.

I think England will finish runners up in Group D and lose to Spain in the Quarter Final.

I'm not so sure England even make it out of their group.

France are my clear-cut favourites - they have, in my opinion about as many World Class players as every other team in their group put together.

England are meh - until Rooney's back from suspension their squad is comprised largely of ageing or mediocre players.

Sweden should be getting a little more attention - they are generally well organised and have Ibrahimovic up front. If their creative players step up he could do a lot of damage.

Ukraine are bad - they have the ability to cause an upset or two, but are really just there as a space filler.

I think it comes down to England's head-to-head game against Sweden and I think Sweden could get the better of them.

I'm not so sure England even make it out of their group.

France are my clear-cut favourites - they have, in my opinion about as many World Class players as every other team in their group put together.

England are meh - until Rooney's back from suspension their squad is comprised largely of ageing or mediocre players.

Sweden should be getting a little more attention - they are generally well organised and have Ibrahimovic up front. If their creative players step up he could do a lot of damage.

Ukraine are bad - they have the ability to cause an upset or two, but are really just there as a space filler.

I think it comes down to England's head-to-head game against Sweden and I think Sweden could get the better of them.

I agree with everything you said. I wouldn't be surprised if Sweden progressed ahead of them.

I would have said Russia since they're in such good form but I didn't think it would be so convincingly! What a great opening to the tournament.

Russia versus Czech Republic

Who you got?

man, the russians killed the czechs, now they could be the surprise team of this Euros

man, the russians killed the czechs, now they could be the surprise team of this Euros

Not if they keep playing Kerzhakov, he made Torres look clinical.

Lewandowski really impressed me today. I knew he was good from watching a bit of him at Dortmund. He isn't particularly fast, big or strong, but his anticipation, positioning, touch and feel for where the goal is incredible.

Not if they keep playing Kerzhakov, he made Torres look clinical.

Lewandowski really impressed me today. I knew he was good from watching a bit of him at Dortmund. He isn't particularly fast, big or strong, but his anticipation, positioning, touch and feel for where the goal is incredible.

and hes on his way to utd rumour has it

Good to see Shevchenko come up big for Ukraine.

was heart warming, the guys on ( profanity deleted) (programme showing the game here) as well as the commentators where all saying at half tiime he should be subbed off... Best way to answer the critics. His movement is phenomenal

I was pulling for Sweden b/c I have a lot of respect for Ibrahimovic. He's a great player, but it seems unlikely they will move on now.

we training session for the spanish against United Kingdom and Ireland there

????

Republic of Ireland

Northern Ireland did not qualify

????

Republic of Ireland

Northern Ireland did not qualify

ireland has a player from every country in the uk except wales.. was a wee joke

i think its absurd that rule in sport, not just roi/uk. Like if ronaldo stayed at utd for a few more years he could be playing for england. Personally if i was in control, first thing i would do is make a rule you have to play for the country your born in. Secondly, make howard webb the ref in all united games :)

i think its absurd that rule in sport, not just roi/uk. Like if ronaldo stayed at utd for a few more years he could be playing for england. Personally if i was in control, first thing i would do is make a rule you have to play for the country your born in. Secondly, make howard webb the ref in all united games :)

I'm pretty sure Ronaldo had already played for Portugal's senior team when he signed for Utd so it wouldn't have been possible, but I understand your point. It's the same in most sports too, England's Cricket and Rugby teams spring to mind. Vinnie Jones playing football for Wales was always funny to me!

I'm pretty sure Ronaldo had already played for Portugal's senior team when he signed for Utd so it wouldn't have been possible, but I understand your point. It's the same in most sports too, England's Cricket and Rugby teams spring to mind. Vinnie Jones playing football for Wales was always funny to me!

I meant eligibility like but you understood. It's ridiculous, its worse he in northern Ireland and republic because its fueled by religion....

Are the eligibility rules that straight forward? I remember there being talk a few years ago of Mikel Arteta being eligible to play for England. Apparently, there's a FIFA rule that states: Any player who has represented their country in an official competition, at whatever level, would at that time need to have held a passport for the country they later wish to play for in order to be permitted to make the switch.

On another note, I'm wondering what tweaks Roy will make to the England line-up later today. With the way team plays (boringly), Carroll just might be the best option at striker.

Are the eligibility rules that straight forward? I remember there being talk a few years ago of Mikel Arteta being eligible to play for England. Apparently, there's a FIFA rule that states: Any player who has represented their country in an official competition, at whatever level, would at that time need to have held a passport for the country they later wish to play for in order to be permitted to make the switch.

On another note, I'm wondering what tweaks Roy will make to the England line-up later today. With the way team plays (boringly), Carroll just might be the best option at striker.

My understanding of the rules is, if you haven't been capped at senior level for your Country you can essentially become a dual citizen and play for another if you've lived in that Country for a certain period of time. I think its five years but I could be wrong!

Rumours are, Hodgson is fielding a more attacking 4-4-2 side with Carroll partnering Welbeck up front and Oxlade-Chamberlain dropping to the bench.

My understanding of the rules is, if you haven't been capped at senior level for your Country you can essentially become a dual citizen and play for another if you've lived in that Country for a certain period of time. I think its five years but I could be wrong!

Rumours are, Hodgson is fielding a more attacking 4-4-2 side with Carroll partnering Welbeck up front and Oxlade-Chamberlain dropping to the bench.

yea its something like that, its stupid anyway!

Still cant get over Redknapp being sacked