1749 replies to this topic

#1 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,748 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

In honor of the most exciting Premiership season finale I've ever witnessed, I'm starting a football/soccer thread. We've had Premiership and Champions League threads before, but not one thread where fans of the sport could discuss it as a whole.

Today was simply insane. City won it all at the death. Even when Dzeko tied it at 2-2, I didn't think they'd pull it out. But somehow, they did.
Arsenal secured a Champions League place. :ICONATOR_01040da29c18a4eed76047

Everton smacked Newcastle around. Swansea took out Liverpool, and Norwich finished up a great season by beating Villa.

Crazy...

Edited by Ed_Reed20, 13 May 2012 - 11:28 AM.

"...when Sean Taylor is in the neighborhood, you will feel him." - Al Michaels

Posted Image

ER20 takes off and then gets distracted by a debate going on...

#2 PWNEDbyDEANO

PWNEDbyDEANO

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

The end of that City-QPR game was one of the most ridiculous finishes I think I'll ever. Unbelievable.

#3 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,748 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

The end of that City-QPR game was one of the most ridiculous finishes I think I'll ever. Unbelievable.

I'm waiting till Match of the Day to watch the highlights. The disparity in shots on target and corners was video game-like.

Posted Image

#4 PWNEDbyDEANO

PWNEDbyDEANO

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:19 PM

I'm waiting till Match of the Day to watch the highlights. The disparity in shots on target and corners was video game-like.

It was but at the same time I didn't get the feeling that all those shots were very likely to go in. The majority were blocked by QPRs nine outfield players.

Did you happen to see Joey Barton's red card? Words escape me when trying to describe this guy at times.

#5 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,748 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:34 PM

It was but at the same time I didn't get the feeling that all those shots were very likely to go in. The majority were blocked by QPRs nine outfield players.

Did you happen to see Joey Barton's red card? Words escape me when trying to describe this guy at times.

That's what I figured. Shots of desperation.

I haven't actually seen it, but I've heard what he did. He's such a clown.

Posted Image

#6 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,961 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

Piss away off the lot of Ye!

#7 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,748 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

United fan, eh?

:lol:

Posted Image

#8 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,961 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

Heartbroken. Never seen anything like it in my 22 years. That kind of finish doesn't happen in football. That goal was the third last kick in a 38 game season.

Couldn't write it

#9 BmoreRav

BmoreRav

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

I'm a Utd fan too but got to admit that City deserved the title without a doubt. Utd threw it away when they allowed Everton to grab a draw from 4-2 up. That and the 1-0 loss at the Etihad was the nail in the coffin. But I must admit, I was close to celebrating before Dzeko's goal went in, I also can't help but feel that the QPR players had picked up that the Bolton game was final and they were safe. but that's probably doing a disservice to City.

Edited by BmoreRav, 13 May 2012 - 06:36 PM.

Posted Image

#10 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,748 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

Amazing finish to an incredible season.

I finally saw Joey Barton's sending off. Absolutely shameful.

Posted Image

#11 Guest_Mr. Nobody_*

Guest_Mr. Nobody_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:33 AM

and next year LFC will have a better season getting back to top four (at least)... funny thing though, only fans from this side of the pond commenting on this thread... we should put a rugby one up for the six nations (maybe autumn internationals too)

#12 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,748 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

and next year LFC will have a better season getting back to top four (at least)... funny thing though, only fans from this side of the pond commenting on this thread... we should put a rugby one up for the six nations (maybe autumn internationals too)

You're pretty confident regarding Liverpool. If Carroll stays in form, the team should be better overall. They need another midfield play-maker in my opinion.

Posted Image

#13 PWNEDbyDEANO

PWNEDbyDEANO

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

You're pretty confident regarding Liverpool. If Carroll stays in form, the team should be better overall. They need another midfield play-maker in my opinion.

As another Liverpool fan I'd agree that saying they should get top four is too high. The expectation will be there but we need to see how silly season goes before we can really talk of where we should be. Carroll should have been playing a lot more this season. He looked significantly sharper from January onwards and was really up for the final few games of the season. I think we need another natural winger, especially if Kuyt returns to Feyenoord although talk is today that it won't be happening, and another striker, someone who doesn't fluff 9 of 10 chances that fall their way.

You're an Arsenal fan aren't you ER? The season ended so much better than it started for you I guess. You can thank Van Persie for that. What would you like to see them do this transfer season?

#14 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,961 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:58 PM

Rvp was probably the third best player in the league last year behind kompany and yaya.... Coming from a utd man that hurts.

Did yous see tevez holding a RIP fergie sign the sob

#15 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,748 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

As another Liverpool fan I'd agree that saying they should get top four is too high. The expectation will be there but we need to see how silly season goes before we can really talk of where we should be. Carroll should have been playing a lot more this season. He looked significantly sharper from January onwards and was really up for the final few games of the season. I think we need another natural winger, especially if Kuyt returns to Feyenoord although talk is today that it won't be happening, and another striker, someone who doesn't fluff 9 of 10 chances that fall their way.

You're an Arsenal fan aren't you ER? The season ended so much better than it started for you I guess. You can thank Van Persie for that. What would you like to see them do this transfer season?

Agreed on all that. While I love Suarez's game, he's a lot better being a facilitator or second striker than the main goal-scorer. Is Kuyt leaving because he wants more first team action?

I'm a fan of the Gunners indeed. They did well to come in third. Pundits were legitimately talking about them not even qualifying for the Europa league early in the season. Not to diminish what Van Persie did in any way shape or form, but Arsenal were so much more than a one-man team the media liked to imply. RVP was easily the most consistent player, but Szczesny, Song and Sagna (when healthy) played quality football most of the year, and Rosicky, Arteta and Koscielny all enjoyed spells of great form.

As far as transfers go, they're off to a good start with Podolski. I think Wenger is posturing by distancing himself from M'Vila. But even if they don't sign him, there are tons of quality holding midfielders. It's wishful thinking, but I'd love to see Wenger make a move for Luiz Gustavo. And even though I'm hoping Arsene bolsters the midfield and back four, there are a few young talents (Wilshere, Ramsey, Frimpong and Gibbs) I'd like to see develop as well.

Really, retaining RVP is what the off-season will boil down to.

Rvp was probably the third best player in the league last year behind kompany and yaya.... Coming from a utd man that hurts.

Did yous see tevez holding a RIP fergie sign the sob

As well as Kompany and Yaya performed all season, RVP was the better player in my book. Top scorer and tied for eighth with 9 assists.

Pretty classless from Tevez.

Edited by Ed_Reed20, 14 May 2012 - 05:16 PM.

Posted Image

#16 ravens13

ravens13

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:13 PM

As well as Kompany and Yaya performed all season, RVP was the better player in my book. Top scorer and tied for eighth with 9 assists.

I am a Spurs fan and even I think Van Persie was the best player in the league this season.

#17 Guest_Mr. Nobody_*

Guest_Mr. Nobody_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:23 AM

I know we were awful this season, especially the second part of the season (in the Premiership). League Cup doesn't get me even smilling when I think of how poor we played at home. Before this season we were almost always starting slow and then pick up as the season progressed, so this one was just a shocker... so happy it just finished.
For the next season, first and formost we need a manager. Since Rafa left we went from bad to worse. I know Kenny is heart and soul for the club but he's not really the manager to get as back to where we belong. To be honest I would make a push for Capello, he said he wants to manage a premiership club or bring some fresh blood like we wanted a couple of years ago - somebody like Klinsmann or even Rijkaard.
We need players galore - the project Adam, Henderson, Downing didn't work for us at all. I was so pissed we didn't play Maxi at all, he could've played like Alonso did for us. And he finished playing very well last season. Aquilani needs to come back, he's got speed and we need that and maybe get a decent offer for Cole. Bellamy needs to stay put, he was quite decent and he'll do us good for another season. Caroll did play better as of late and I would definitelly keep Suarez, he still is our best striker. So we need at least another striker (even if we bring Pacheco to the first team) - at the end of last season I really wanted us to make a push for Huntelaar and he had a massive season for Schalke. Don't think we want to keep Kuyt anymore, which is a shame but we still need a decent winger even if he stays around. If we would start playing Maxi and have Aquilani back we wouldn't need another midfielder, but I'm afraid MAxi will leave as he wants to play not warm the bench. Then we are pretty slim in defence too - Agger hasn't come back to play at the level he was before his last injury and Jamie can't play more than a half so I would bring in a couple of backs too.
Phew, now I had to take all this out of my mind... just looking ahead now, got my eyes on the Euro - there's bound to have some new players arise.

#18 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,748 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

England announced their Euro 2012 squad today. I think it's a solid team but I have no idea how Hodgson left out Micah Richards. I know there are a few Liverpool fans here, but he's a better player than Glen Johnson.

Posted Image

#19 PWNEDbyDEANO

PWNEDbyDEANO

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:08 PM

England announced their Euro 2012 squad today. I think it's a solid team but I have no idea how Hodgson left out Micah Richards. I know there are a few Liverpool fans here, but he's a better player than Glen Johnson.

I personally thought Richards was injured. I agree that he's a better overall player than Johnson but I think even better than Richards is Kyle Walker who is definitely injured.

Of course, they are all trumped by the mighty Martin Kelly. ;)

#20 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,748 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:13 PM

I personally thought Richards was injured. I agree that he's a better overall player than Johnson but I think even better than Richards is Kyle Walker who is definitely injured.

Of course, they are all trumped by the mighty Martin Kelly. ;)

Richards had been dealing with an injury, but nothing that would have lingered into the tournament. The debate between him and Walker will rage for the foreseeable future. Maybe both will make the Olympic team.

:lol:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users