Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

arnie_uk

Jake Long

61 posts in this topic

The rumours have already started regarding his future in Miami after they took John Martin, who projects to be a good left tackle. Long is in the last year if his deal and is due $11.2mil this year, he may not get a new deal when it runs out. Long has had a couple niggling injuries this past year but has only been in the league 4 years, this is his fifth.

I would love for him to hit FA. Right now we dont have the coin, but with what could be a RR departure this time next year with Pierce who is a perfect back for a zone blocking scheme, Ray Lewis potentially off the books, and of course Ed Reed, and maybe even Boldin, we could have spare cap next year, even after Joes longterm deal.

This is the guy i would spend it on, but again its only speculation.

[url="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828b5f2e/article/are-dolphins-prepping-for-life-after-jake-long?module=HP11_headline_stack"]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828b5f2e/article/are-dolphins-prepping-for-life-after-jake-long?module=HP11_headline_stack[/url]

If he hits free agency, someone is going to bid a heck of a lot more money than the Ravens would. If he wants to consistently win and isn't about the money maybe we could steal him. So many players are about the money though, so I don't think we have a chance. Still, Jake Long would have another good 8-10 years at LT so we can certainly dream. You know he's not going back to Miami unless they tag him though.

If you come from Miami, well if a guy with a pure love for the game and will to win, comes from Miami, a team like us will be high on their list

Well most certainly they don't have to pay him now and can move on but why not keep Long, and have 2 book end tackles? They certainly learned from us. Draft one Tackle and you think the other tackle isn't needed.

Let me say this much: if Jake Long, the LT of the Miami Dolphins, a guy who is a Pro Bowler is cut from that team then I would trade Ray Rice to rid ourselves of that salary and sign Jake Long here. If you have a very dominant offensive line with a decent RB, you can make magic happen. Jake Long would be a dream come true. It's not even a real possibility in my mind. If it was, though, I would take him without hesitation.

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1335662437' post='1066456']
Let me say this much: if Jake Long, the LT of the Miami Dolphins, a guy who is a Pro Bowler is cut from that team then I would trade Ray Rice to rid ourselves of that salary and sign Jake Long here. If you have a very dominant offensive line with a decent RB, you can make magic happen. Jake Long would be a dream come true. It's not even a real possibility in my mind. If it was, though, I would take him without hesitation.
[/quote]

I saw this earlier today and said the same thing. I was saying bfore the draft we might use an early pick on a back and look what happened. Not only that but drafted one to fit our scheme and already have a power back in Allen. Let Flacco loose behind this line and see what people are saying about him at the end of this season. Jake Long would be a dream come true especially with the new line pieces.

If Jake Long becomes a Free Agent, there will be plenty of teams going after him and I was thinking about it, Atlanta needs a LT so could you imagine Atlanta signing Lake Long and having both the # 1 and # 3 Pick from the 2008 Draft.

Now regarding the possibility of him coming to Baltimore, I would restructure some players contracts in order to sign Jake Long.

<p>[quote name='JO_75' timestamp='1335669069' post='1066700']<br />
If Jake Long becomes a Free Agent, there will be plenty of teams going after him and I was thinking about it, Atlanta needs a LT so could you imagine Atlanta signing Lake Long and having both the # 1 and # 3 Pick from the 2008 Draft.<br />
<br />
Now regarding the possibility of him coming to Baltimore, I would restructure every contracted player to the minimum amount in order to sign Jake Long.<br />
[/quote]<br />
<br />
</p>that last sentence makes you the worst manger in the history of management.

[quote name='Purple Nurple' timestamp='1335669253' post='1066708']
<p><br />
<br />
</p>that last sentence makes you the worst manger in the history of management.
[/quote]

Worse than Matt Millen?

Ok I didn't mean that literally but I would restructure some guys if it meant signing Jake Long and securing our LT spot for years to come.

The Dolphins won't do this, I don't believe it. He's been their best player since they drafted him. The Dolphins are poorly run but not [i]that [/i]poorly run.

I know I'll take heat for this, but I can see the Ravens letting Ray Rice walk after this season. That would free up a lot of money to potentially pursue a free agent like Long. Bernard Pierce is a potential stud RB. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does this season.

Remember when we ran Gaither out of town? I'm going to be reminded about that every time I see Flacco get blown up.

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1335662437' post='1066456']
[/quote]

Fact. Been saying this a lot myself. Upping the OL is better for the team than betting it all with an average line and a great RB. A good line fixes Joe's problem of being on his butt for a lot of the game, and an elite line could possibly give him the time he needs for Cam's terrible offensive scheme built off of deep routes with slow guys to work. I'd much rather spend money on OL and QB than on RB. And Ray Rice would probably fetch a VERY nice draft pick. We're talking at least one first rounder, and we could definitely use that to our advantage.

[quote name='gabefergy' timestamp='1335683113' post='1066939']
I know I'll take heat for this, but I can see the Ravens letting Ray Rice walk after this season. That would free up a lot of money to potentially pursue a free agent like Long. Bernard Pierce is a potential stud RB. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does this season.
[/quote]

You'll get no heat on this from me, I couldn't agree more. Ray Rice is being greedy, whether or not some fans choose to acknowledge it. He should not be getting the contract he's getting IMO, we're paying way too much for a guy with a short shelf life who's due for a injury based off the number of touches he's had the past few seasons. Giving him the same amount of money Arian Foster got is BEYOND fair, and if he chooses to not accept that Rice should walk. Ozzie did the same thing in the past, letting Jamal Lewis walk, so the precedent is there.

I don't want to overstate my position, but this idea has me incredibly excited. Jake Long is one of the few tackles who has the ability to negate the Steelers excellent pass rush and will give us a huge leg up on them in the division. An LT like that with a QB like Joe could take this team from contender to dynasty potential. He is an elite player, sitting way above the rest of the league with Joe Thomas close behind.

But the issue here isn't whether or not the Dolphins want to keep him, it's whether or not he wants to stay. They can only afford to tag him for so long, and I honestly can't see any reason a guy like him who could play for almost any team would want to stay there. That organization has no talent, thinks Reggie Bush is a valid starting back, is almost as dysfunctional as the Jets, and has little prospects for getting better after wasting that pick on Tannehill. I guarantee the man wants out, and if you have the chance to get a guy like that to pair with a QB you mortgage yourself out. Let's not forget that we're going to gain an estimated $10 million in cap space next year without taking into account guys with huge salaries coming off the books with Matt Birk, Ed Reed, and Ray Lewis likely retiring.

This is really a fun idea to discuss. I enjoy playing armchair GM like this.

[quote name='JO_75' timestamp='1335669069' post='1066700']
If Jake Long becomes a Free Agent, there will be plenty of teams going after him and I was thinking about it, Atlanta needs a LT so could you imagine[b] Atlanta signing Lake Long and having both the # 1 and # 3 Pick from the 2008 Draft.[/b]

Now regarding the possibility of him coming to Baltimore, I would restructure some players contracts in order to sign Jake Long.
[/quote]

And still being 0fer in the playoffs.

[quote name='T3hRaven' timestamp='1335687924' post='1066958']
Fact. Been saying this a lot myself. Upping the OL is better for the team than betting it all with an average line and a great RB. A good line fixes Joe's problem of being on his butt for a lot of the game, and an elite line could possibly give him the time he needs for Cam's terrible offensive scheme built off of deep routes with slow guys to work. I'd much rather spend money on OL and QB than on RB. And Ray Rice would probably fetch a VERY nice draft pick. We're talking at least one first rounder, and we could definitely use that to our advantage.

You'll get no heat on this from me, I couldn't agree more. Ray Rice is being greedy, whether or not some fans choose to acknowledge it. He should not be getting the contract he's getting IMO, we're paying way too much for a guy with a short shelf life who's due for a injury based off the number of touches he's had the past few seasons. Giving him the same amount of money Arian Foster got is BEYOND fair, and if he chooses to not accept that Rice should walk. Ozzie did the same thing in the past, letting [b]Jamal Lewis[/b] walk, so the precedent is there.

I don't want to overstate my position, but this idea has me incredibly excited. Jake Long is one of the few tackles who has the ability to negate the Steelers excellent pass rush and will give us a huge leg up on them in the division. An LT like that with a QB like Joe could take this team from contender to dynasty potential. He is an elite player, sitting way above the rest of the league with Joe Thomas close behind.

But the issue here isn't whether or not the Dolphins want to keep him, it's whether or not he wants to stay. They can only afford to tag him for so long, and I honestly can't see any reason a guy like him who could play for almost any team would want to stay there. That organization has no talent, thinks Reggie Bush is a valid starting back, is almost as dysfunctional as the Jets, and has little prospects for getting better after wasting that pick on Tannehill. I guarantee the man wants out, and if you have the chance to get a guy like that to pair with a QB you mortgage yourself out. Let's not forget that we're going to gain an estimated $10 million in cap space next year without taking into account guys with huge salaries coming off the books with Matt Birk, Ed Reed, and Ray Lewis likely retiring.

This is really a fun idea to discuss. I enjoy playing armchair GM like this.
[/quote]

You want my opinion on that front, Jamal was a far better runningback than Rice. Rice to me is overrated because of all those passes he catches (which Jamal did to, he just had quarterbacks who had no business in this league throwing to him). But you're right, Jamal spent about 7 years with us and just came off his best season in 3 years when we let him go. And then I remember 2007 when he had a great season in Cleveland and everyone was up in arms saying Ozzie had lost his touch and the front office were bums and we just made the biggest mistake ever - 2 years later he's out of the league. I think the front office has a much better sense of not only what Rice is worth but how much longer he's going to produce than any of us could have, and are trying to pay him accordingly.

If the Dolphins want to trade Long to us I would gladly send them Boldin and Rice for Long. I'll give them David Reed as a return man if they want to sweeten the deal or even Kindle.

I heard a while ago that he wanted to test the market and I don't blame him for possibly wanting to leave Miami. If he stays they should have a great tackle combo with him and Martin.

On the whole get rid of Rice for Long I am not sure because Rice is like 40% of our offense. If Pierce shows potential than maybe but he isn't a great catching back and I just don't see Rice leaving Baltimore until the very end of his career (like LT).

[quote name='Ravenslifer' timestamp='1335705825' post='1067042']
You want my opinion on that front, Jamal was a far better runningback than Rice. Rice to me is overrated because of all those passes he catches (which Jamal did to, he just had quarterbacks who had no business in this league throwing to him). But you're right, Jamal spent about 7 years with us and just came off his best season in 3 years when we let him go. And then I remember 2007 when he had a great season in Cleveland and everyone was up in arms saying Ozzie had lost his touch and the front office were bums and we just made the biggest mistake ever - 2 years later he's out of the league. I think the front office has a much better sense of not only what Rice is worth but how much longer he's going to produce than any of us could have, and are trying to pay him accordingly.
[/quote]

I loved Jamal, but I cant agree that he is a much better back than Rice. He fumbled [i]a lot[/i] which is a real issue. Rice is great with ball security. Say what you will about Jamal as a pass-catcher, but he is nothing compared to what Rice can do out of the back-field. In reality they are very different styles of backs, so it's hard to say which is better but in Rice's shorter time in the league he has outproduced Jamal. The ability to make plays in the passing game cant be understated in today's league. Not saying Rice is worth 10M + a year, but he is still one of the elite playmakers in today's game.

[quote name='gabefergy' timestamp='1335722152' post='1067300']
I loved Jamal, but I cant agree that he is a much better back than Rice. He fumbled [i]a lot[/i] which is a real issue. Rice is great with ball security. Say what you will about Jamal as a pass-catcher, but he is nothing compared to what Rice can do out of the back-field. In reality they are very different styles of backs, so it's hard to say which is better but in Rice's shorter time in the league he has outproduced Jamal. The ability to make plays in the passing game cant be understated in today's league. Not saying Rice is worth 10M + a year, but he is still one of the elite playmakers in today's game.
[/quote]
Its about as easy as this. Jamal was a better and tougher runner, Rice dies when we face 8 man fronts, Jamal saw that his entire career. Rice smokes him catching the ball and what he can do with it in space.

[quote name='Bltravens' timestamp='1335806354' post='1068155']
Its about as easy as this.[b] Jamal was a better and tougher runner, Rice dies when we face 8 man fronts, Jamal saw that his entire career. [/b]Rice smokes him catching the ball and what he can do with it in space.
[/quote]

See that's what I WANT in my runningback. Catching the ball and moving in space is great, but a slot receiver can do that. And if we really are trying to run an Air Coryell system, well if you look at the backs that have success in that system, LT, Chuck Muncie, Emmit Smith, they were all bigger, pound the rock backs that saw 350+ carries a season most of their careers, because the goal of the system is to pound the rock, force teams to stack the box, then kill them with midrange passing to tight ends and deep shots to receivers. If we were running the WCO or whatever they run in New Orleans and New England with a ton of multiple receiver sets, quick passes, short slants and screens, lots of moving parts, Rice would kill in that system. As good as he is now, I think if he was on a team with a different offensive mindset he'd be ridiculous. And I think if we had that bruiser that could just not be stopped, this offense would look much better than it has in the past.

Of course, if we ever manage to get all the positions on the offensive line set and they gel for a few seasons and even come somewhat close to Houston's line in 2011, we could do some serious damage the way we are set up.

The Dolphins plan on putting the Franchise Tag on Jake Long if they can not reach an agreement on a long term deal.

[url="http://rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/234258/fins-to-tag-lt-long-in-2013-if-no-extension"]http://rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/234258/fins-to-tag-lt-long-in-2013-if-no-extension[/url]

[quote name='JO_75' timestamp='1338766354' post='1085388']
The Dolphins plan on putting the Franchise Tag on Jake Long if they can not reach an agreement on a long term deal.

[url="http://rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/234258/fins-to-tag-lt-long-in-2013-if-no-extension"]http://rotoworld.com...if-no-extension[/url]
[/quote]

I believe PFT reported on this as well. So much for the dream, at least next off-season. They can only keep him there with the tag for so long though if he wants to hit FA, which based on the state of the Dolphins he probably does want to do.

[quote name='JO_75' timestamp='1338766354' post='1085388']

[url="http://rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/234258/fins-to-tag-lt-long-in-2013-if-no-extension"]http://rotoworld.com...if-no-extension[/url]
[/quote]

Don't blame them. With him and Martin they have the potential to have one of the best T combos in the NFL. Plus if Tannehill works out they could be improving but he needs weapons at WR and TE not just RB and T.

if these imbeciles would just use their money intelligently, and invest it, or start a business/buy a business with it instead of cars, houses, spinning rims and the finest bubbly money can buy they wouldn't need 15 million dollar contracts, they could get more rich with less money if only they were smart.

Jake Long could be available, it seems they are more likely to Franchise CB Sean Smith if they can't come to a long term agreement. Even though the Dolphins could have more than $43 Million in cap room available next off-season, it seems Jake Long could be hitting Free Agency.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5184/sean-smith

[quote name='black blood purple passion' timestamp='1356909553' post='1283942']
He's probably going to want Joe-Thomas-like, 7 years 80+ million. He'd be a hefty contract but if he could stay healthy, my goodness Joe would start putting together some big big numbers.
[/quote]
All we have to do is restructure Sugar Ray!

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1356909925' post='1283950']
[/quote]

I won't pretend to know what I'm talking about with respect to the cap because I don't but if I recall correctly, in order to just sign Joe to a modest deal we'd need Ray, Ed, Birk, to all retire, and we'd need to get rid of/trade Boldin. After signing Joe, plus Kruger and Ellerbe, I don't see us having the necessary funds to drop a contract like that on Long. But maybe he'll take a pay cut to play for a contender ( I hate saying this because he happens so rarely, these guys realize they have a small window of opportunity to make as much as they possibly can so....)

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1356909925' post='1283950']
[/quote]

Alright I did some reading and it doesn't exactly sound like rocket science. Perhaps if we can give him a modest contract with incentives and bonuses, he may be enticed here, and if we could back load his contract as well he might fit. I'll let the professionals take care of it though.