Ravens Schedule Coming Today!

The Ravens will announce their 2014 regular season schedule today at 8:00 pm ET. More Info »
Close

Photo

Flacco says he's "the best" QB in the league

• Please log in to reply
529 replies to this topic

#1 RavensAllTheWay

RavensAllTheWay

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

Time to open the floodgates.

http://blogs.baltimo...ts-complicated/

Joe is a very confident guy. I, of course, don't think he's the best in the league, but confidence seems to be Joe's thing. He doesn't waver and doesn't get rattled (not even the Texans playoff game). I know he's going to get hammered for making these comments and I won't argue with the idea that he isn't the top QB in the game. However, I don't think he's trying to come across as cocky or disrespectful. I think he was put under a lot of pressure to express this confidence after Linta (his agent) said he was top-5. He also says that every QB should ooze with confidence and that if you don't you won't flourish.

The last QB who said he was elite and got laughed at for it was Eli, and look what happened. This obviously doesn't mean there's a rule saying it must happen with Joe, but I think Joe is going to be much improved next season.

Edited by RavensAllTheWay, 03 April 2012 - 08:22 PM.

#2 theFRANCHISE

theFRANCHISE

Hall of Famer

• Reserve Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,115 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

I have no problem with Flacco saying it, even though it's not true.

He's a good QB, yes. Best? No -- but he has the potential. It's up to him to live up to his own billing and prove it.

If a QB doesn't think he's the best, then he has no business as a starter in this league. He may know it's not true, but if he doesn't believe in himself, no one else will.

Posted Image

#3 -Truth-

-Truth-

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,033 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

“Without a doubt [I'm in the top 5],” Flacco said. “What do you expect me to say? I would assume everybody thinks they’re a top-5 quarterback. I think I’m the best. I don’t think I’m the top 5, I think I’m the best. I wouldn’t be very successful at my job if I didn’t feel that way."

This statement clarifies it for me. I think the point he's trying to convey is, if you don't have confidence in yourself, why would anyone else?

Posted Image

#4 Cville-Raven

Cville-Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,789 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

Of course it gets taken out of context.

0cf3ccf6-b431-48bd-a2a0-73b6e0108bc3_zps

#5 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

I think Joe knows people get blown up over these things. He probably enjoys screwing with the media.

#6 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,148 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

I have no problem with Flacco saying it, even though it's not true.

He's a good QB, yes. Best? No -- but he has the potential. It's up to him to live up to his own billing and prove it.

If a QB doesn't think he's the best, then he has no business as a starter in this league. He may know it's not true, but if he doesn't believe in himself, no one else will.

I think this sums it up quite nicely. I don't think he's the best by far, and I would rather him not have said it, but I am not going to hate on him at all. I can understand why he said it, and have no real problem with it. Like you said, if he doesn't think he's the best, he has no business starting in the league. That is definitely the mindset that not only quarterbacks, but players in general should embrace. It sets a high standard and goal for them to achieve, as well as encouraging confidence. For example, Ray had probably said early in his career that he was going to be the best MLB in the league. I saw a video recently where he said as a freshmen that he would be the greatest Hurricane to ever play at Miami. Did he receive a lot of grief for it? Probably not. I really hate to compare Ray and Flacco, but it's a similar situation.

#7 Clutch Ravens

Clutch Ravens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,476 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

Pretty sure Eli Manning took a lot of flack for saying something similar like "I'm just as good as Brady". That worked out pretty well.
2013 BR.com Mock Draft: Arizona Cardinals
#7 Overall - Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon
#38 Overall - Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State
#94 Overall - Corey Lemonier, OLB, Auburn
#113 Overall - E.J. Manuel, QB, FSU
#144 Overall - Joseph Randle, RB, OSU
#178 Overall - Jordan Mills, OT/G, Louisiana Tech
#218 Overall - Greg Reid, CB, FSU
#224 Overall - Knile Davis, RB, Arkansas

#8 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,148 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

I think Joe knows people get blown up over these things. He probably enjoys screwing with the media.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Joe does that. He seems like a pretty carefree, goofy kind of guy that might enjoy screwing with the media. That's an interesting thought!

#9 cobrajet

cobrajet

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,430 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

I like his confidence, but not top 5. I will give him top 10 status and feel that with Caldwell's help and if we get some decent o-lineman to give him protection, it could be a very good year for him.

#10 Y2J

Y2J

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

Now the nay Sayers will come in here and start up again about why Joe sucks etc. Lol

#11 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

Another instance of Flacco expressing confidence in himself that will undoubtedly be taken out of context. I mean, he even explains it in the quote!

I just wish people would stop asking him it. What's he supposed to say?
Posted Image

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#12 Romo Ravens

Romo Ravens

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

I like his confidence. Nothing wrong with him saying things like this. It's better than saying, "yea, I don't deserve top 5 money".

#13 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

Bond, James Bond. 007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,611 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

Confidence is a good thing but overconfidence is too much. This guy has the team to win 5 SB (once they upgrade his O-Line and WR)
this season he has a great chance. If he plays up to his talk, then we will be favorites to win it all. I think he can do it. He has
The best D in the NFL
The best RB and FB behind him
A decent (to be improved upon O-Line)
Boldin and Pitta(The hands)
Torrey (The speed)
Dickson (The potentially great)
and more weapons coming into the draft
Let the man talk, he has the ability to back it up.
Edit: Sorry I only meant to post
He has Cam, so we must rid of him first.

Edited by Mr. Irrelevant, 03 April 2012 - 08:40 PM.

#14 JO_75

JO_75

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,920 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

If Joe had said he didn't think he was a Top 5 QB, the media would have been all over him saying how he doesn't have confidence in himself, and how he shouldn't be the starter, etc. Joe says he is a Top 5 QB, he'll get blasted by everyone. Joe just can't win!

#15 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,199 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

Oh man...its not even the voluntary offseason practice... Here comes the circus.

Now front page in NFL.COM http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

Edited by Ravenseconbeast, 03 April 2012 - 08:44 PM.

#16 Purple Nurple

Purple Nurple

Telling It Like It Is Since 1974

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,599 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

Man, I hope youre right but I doubt it. If this was on camera, and he had looked at camera and winked, I would die.

On topic. I like his confidence, but I think he's being a bit bold. I love joe, but he's not top five and certainly not "the best". Repeat. I love my quarterback. Flame OFF.

newsigg2_zps9e6531bd.jpg

#17 RavensAllTheWay

RavensAllTheWay

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

If Joe had said he didn't think he was a Top 5 QB, the media would have been all over him saying how he doesn't have confidence in himself, and how he shouldn't be the starter, etc. Joe says he is a Top 5 QB, he'll get blasted by everyone. Joe just can't win!

Ah, but he CAN win. He does on the field.

#18 Romo Ravens

Romo Ravens

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

Man, I hope youre right but I doubt it. If this was on camera, and he had looked at camera and winked, I would die.

On topic. I like his confidence, but I think he's being a bit bold. I love joe, but he's not top five and certainly not "the best". Repeat. I love my quarterback. Flame OFF.

It's hard getting that point across here without having people think that you hate the guy lol

#19 Blex64

Blex64

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

It's hard getting that point across here without having people think that you hate the guy lol

I don't think most of the board think he's a top 5 QB.

#20 Romo Ravens

Romo Ravens

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

I don't think most of the board think he's a top 5 QB.

But if you say that he's not, you're a hater

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users