Photo

[Blogs] Eric Decosta Is Ozzie Newsome’S Successor

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 BR News

BR News

Hall of Famer

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,841 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

An unspoken, but understood progression within the Ravens organization has been that when General Manager Ozzie Newsome decides to call it quits, Eric DeCosta will step into the role.

It’s no longer just an implicit understanding.

Owner Steve Bisciotti could not have been more clear when he addressed the topic at the NFL owners meetings this week.

“I think everybody in the organization views Eric as Ozzie’s successor and we’re doing everything we can to make that transition work,” Bisciotti said.

DeCosta, the Ravens Director of Player Personnel, has been a popular name around the NFL the last few years and is often brought up as a potential candidate whenever a new general manager position opens.

Earlier this year, the Chicago Bears, Indianapolis Colts and St. Louis Rams were all reportedly interested in talking with DeCosta about their G.M. openings, but he chose to remain with the Ravens and the team worked out a new contract to ideally keep him Baltimore for at least the next few years.

“We did again restructure Eric’s contract in a way where I think he’s off the market for a few years,” Bisciotti told The Baltimore Sun.

Newsome, 55, has been the team’s general manager since 2002, but he has not expressed interest in retiring anytime soon. 

“I don’t know how much longer,” Newsome said last month. “I want Super Bowls. Steve and I talk about two Super Bowls and three Super Bowls. Once I get to that point, I’ll start deciding.”

Decosta has been with the organization since its inception in 1996, working his way up from an entry-level scout to his current position, which he took on in 2009. During his tenure as scouting director, the Ravens have taken players such as Terrell Suggs, Haloti Ngata, Ray Rice and Joe Flacco.

DeCosta works extremely close with Newsome, and Bisciotti joked that he doesn’t want to even think about both of them being gone.  

“I certainly don’t want to entertain the thought of being without any one of them,” Bisciotti said. “So if Eric leaves before Ozzie is ready, then Ozzie is staying on until he’s 80.”

View the full article

#2 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:15 AM

Ozzie Newsome = AMAZING FO

#3 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:15 AM

Decosta = just genius

#4 Peej

Peej

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:21 AM

Another example of why the Ravens are one of the best organizations in the NFL. Thanks Steve fro continuing Art's work!

#5 Reed_Fence_20

Reed_Fence_20

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

Ozzie is the best owner in the league and Decosta will be able to continue our stretch of good GMs

#6 JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

just imagine if decosta tops ozzie and is even more of a genius...

#7 Purple Dawg 96

Purple Dawg 96

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:31 AM

We, I mean The Ravens will loose coordinators but we need Ozzie and Eric!!! All that hard work is about to pay off. We are rite there on the threshold of getting a SB and maybe can go Back to Back! Another Lombardi slipped thru our fingers but we cant be stopped. Especially with Ozzie and Eric running the show in Bmoe! I see at least 4 Super Bowl Trophies on the Horizon, and we already have one! STAY!!!

#8 Guest_GoldRaven_*

Guest_GoldRaven_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:32 AM

I would actually like for him to step in now because he seems to be more aggressive than Ozzie.

We needs more aggressive people in our organization.

The reason why I'm supppoorting Ozzie for now is because their is a tidal wave of Alabama players coming out and Ozzie has ties to Alabama.

#9 CorvusCorax

CorvusCorax

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

Eric we want you to stay here in Baltimore.

Our owner wants you here. Talk about job security... lol

#10 coolbilly

coolbilly

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:42 AM

You have no idea how aggressive DeCosta is or not. You want aggressive, be a Redskins fan...that's what aggressiveness gets you. I'll take smart and both Ozzie and Eric and Dick Cass are smart people who don't compromise their formula for success.

#11 Sangus

Sangus

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:48 AM

Throughout history the heir to great men have often disappointed. Not so with DeCosta. He will be a great GM and facilitate strong Ravens teams for the next 20 years.

#12 bioLarzen

bioLarzen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,377 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:12 AM

Are franchises allowed to franchise tag staff members? :)

Fortunately for us, DeCosta seems to be of the rare loyal breed. The perfect successor of Ozzie.

bio

#13 KidNme

KidNme

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

Ozzie, DeCosta and Cass are the gears of this organization.
It's bad enough that everyone looks at us as the official NFL trainers of player and coaches, and pull from our talent pool every year. Then, once a coach goes, you can always count on a couple players going with them. I can't imagine not having any one of those guys here. It would be a different ball team for sure and one I'm not sure I would enjoy watching nearly as much.
GO RAVENS!!!

#14 First_Impression

First_Impression

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

Its nice to see a person loyal to the organization, its refreshing to say the least

#15 PaPaJim

PaPaJim

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

Thank God there is no salary cap for non players! I'm glad that other franchises want people from the Ravens...............greatest form of complement and wonderful for recruiting to keep the waiting lines full. Question? Will the Ravens be the first team to go to the playoffs five years in a row? (What is the Record?)

#16 Mystigo_Dragon

Mystigo_Dragon

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,491 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

First Impression, I agree! The front office has no CAP so loyalty is is measured in longevity with an organization!

Eric DeCosta would definitely guarantee a continuation of our superb player recognition!

#17 Amatmaju

Amatmaju

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

Question? Will the Ravens be the first team to go to the playoffs five years in a row? (What is the Record?)

Cowboys(75-83) and Indys(2002-10) both went 9 years in a row. 4 teams went 8 straight years... Ours is the current high streak but not close to the all time...YET!

#18 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:12 AM

I don't want to think about life without the wizard of Oz, but I feel like we are in good hands with Decosta.

#19 The Greek

The Greek

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,592 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

the ? is how much longer can decosta stay patient. i feel if ozzie does not retire in the next 3 to 4 years than he may look elsewhere. jmo

#20 Raven Hammer

Raven Hammer

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

Its nice to see a person loyal to the organization, its refreshing to say the least

It's good to have a person loyal to the organization and it's just as good to have an organzation thats loyal to it's personal