Ravens Schedule Coming Wednesday!

The Ravens will announce their 2014 regular season schedule on Wednesday, April 23rd at 8:00 pm ET.
Close

Photo

MERGED: "Feelings" on How Free Agency is Going So Far

Free Agency Ravens NFL

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
276 replies to this topic

#261 Romo Ravens

Romo Ravens

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

I was wondering how the Pats were any more consistently a contender than the only team to make the playoffs the last 4 consecutive seasons.

I am happy to see us bring back McClain. I'm excited about some ST help and glad to see some depth at Safety. Still concerned about G though. Really wish the draft would get here.

Oh good lord. Let's see.. New England has won THREE championships since 2000. Dur da dur

#262 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,529 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

Oh good lord. Let's see.. New England has won THREE championships since 2000. Dur da dur

Well good lord man. I thought we were talking in terms of recently...not a decade. And you did not say Super Bowl, you said contender.

Edited by ravensdfan, 23 March 2012 - 08:46 PM.

The first testicular guard, the "Cup" was used in hockey in 1874. The first helmet was used in 1974. That means it only took men 100 years to realize their brain was also important.

#263 BMOREHAWAII

BMOREHAWAII

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

Don't do it man. Dont argue with a female who tries to talk football. You just wont win.
"If the football gods were to create the perfect defensive player, he would be a MERE IMAGE of the immortal Ray Lewis.."

#264 Romo Ravens

Romo Ravens

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

Well good lord man. I thought we were talking in terms of recently...not a decade. And you did not say Super Bowl, you said contender.

I said Super Bowl contender.. I feel like I'm giving that team too much love. Let's stop talking about them lol. I'm sorry everyone

#265 Romo Ravens

Romo Ravens

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

Don't do it man. Dont argue with a female who tries to talk football. You just wont win.

Haha.. She's pretty smart tho. <deleted>

#266 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,748 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

Weird, because I said SUPER BOWL

You said "Super Bowl contenders". We are that as well.
Posted Image

#267 Romo Ravens

Romo Ravens

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

You said &quot;Super Bowl contenders&quot;. We are that as well.

You know what I meant, Brent

#268 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,748 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

You know what I meant, Brent

Whoa, that's weird and I'm a little creeped out!
Posted Image

#269 Romo Ravens

Romo Ravens

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:40 PM

Whoa, that's weird and I'm a little creeped out!

Muahahaha

#270 UMDan

UMDan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:27 PM

The point is that even though we operate differently than New England they are head and shoulders above us as a franchise right now. If not for Lee Evans or Billy Cundiff, we'd have beaten them this past year and gone to the Super Bowl. Our FO operates differently and both lead to success. Yes, they are a bigger market and thus may draw more interest from players and the media as a result, there's nothing we can do about that.

#271 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,094 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:12 AM

I still don't get this. The Redskins and the Patriots since 2007, and the Eagles this year, prove you cannot BUY championships. The Superbowl winning Pats' teams had a lot of homegrown talent. The Superbowl winning Steelers teams had homegrown talent. The Superbowl winning Giants teams had homegrown talent. The Superbowl winning Packers team had homegrown talent. Even the Saints, who brought in a free agent quarterback, had homegrown talent. The Colts had homegrown talent. The 2000 Ravens - homegrown talent. So even if you chose to discount New Orleans because they brought in Drew Brees from SD, that's like 10 of 12 Superbowl winners (sorry, for the life of me cannot remember what that 02 Bucs team was like, only that Brad and Keyshawn were not homegrown but neither did anything, it was that defense and I don't know who was all on it) since 2000 that rely largely on HOMEGROWN talent.

#272 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,020 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:03 AM

Wow. This is an incredibly offensive post.

Hop on board the Draft Odell Beckham JR Bandwagon! Taking all comers! 

#273 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,517 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

Wow. This is an incredibly offensive post.

Yes, on many levels. Let's get back on topic and stay there, please.
10wmids.jpg

#274 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,529 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:27 PM

I still don't get this. The Redskins and the Patriots since 2007, and the Eagles this year, prove you cannot BUY championships. The Superbowl winning Pats' teams had a lot of homegrown talent. The Superbowl winning Steelers teams had homegrown talent. The Superbowl winning Giants teams had homegrown talent. The Superbowl winning Packers team had homegrown talent. Even the Saints, who brought in a free agent quarterback, had homegrown talent. The Colts had homegrown talent. The 2000 Ravens - homegrown talent. So even if you chose to discount New Orleans because they brought in Drew Brees from SD, that's like 10 of 12 Superbowl winners (sorry, for the life of me cannot remember what that 02 Bucs team was like, only that Brad and Keyshawn were not homegrown but neither did anything, it was that defense and I don't know who was all on it) since 2000 that rely largely on HOMEGROWN talent.

Can only speak for myself, but my concern was not that we were not going after any big names in FA. In fact, I wasn't even looking to add new FAs, was just worried that we weren't signing any of our own FAs. The latest moves to help ST (which we sorely need) McClain returning and some depth at Safety have calmed me quite a bit though.

I agree that the EAgles alone proved last season that you can't buy Championships in football.

The first testicular guard, the "Cup" was used in hockey in 1874. The first helmet was used in 1974. That means it only took men 100 years to realize their brain was also important.

#275 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,094 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:14 PM

Can only speak for myself, but my concern was not that we were not going after any big names in FA. In fact, I wasn't even looking to add new FAs, was just worried that we weren't signing any of our own FAs. The latest moves to help ST (which we sorely need) McClain returning and some depth at Safety have calmed me quite a bit though.

I agree that the EAgles alone proved last season that you can't buy Championships in football.

I would agree on the not retaining key players, however the players we did lose, Redding, Zbikowski, Nakamura, etc., were not major contributors at this point except on special teams. Really, Grubbs was the only significant loss. Pollard replaced the strong safeties this year, and Redding would have been supplanted by Kruger, McPhee, McAdoo, etc. soon anyway. Actually, I kind of feel like it's the Derrick Mason-Todd Heap situation: you can't tell 10+ year vets that they are going to be supplanted by rookies and second-year players while they're still on your team. So either they get cut or leave in FA, and the next man steps up, which I think will happen in this case. And if the plan is to move Jah Reid to left guard, well he played left tackle, and I assume it will be easier for him to transition to left guard than it would be to transition over to the right side. I was expecting a major exodus, because the fact is we simply didn't have the money to retain everyone.

And speaking for me, I'm never concerned about our activity on the free agent market or lack thereof. I've watched this franchise operate for 17 years now, and they rarely ever spend big in FA - in fact, the biggest signings they made over the years are what I call "panic moves" - signing Elvis Grbac because we had no quarterback, signing Dominique Foxworth because we had problems in the secondary, signing Sypniewski and Smith because we had no second tight end, signing all manner of free agent castoff receivers because we never drafted anyone good except for maybe Stokley (who never had a quarterback to get him the ball anyway). And they always failed.

I get it how you feel though, because I think we as fans all feel it - we want to feel like our team is making a big time splash, a big time effort to get better. In some ways, I wish Ozzie and Steve were like Dan Snyder, and would find a way to bring in a bigtime free agent like a Vincent Jackson or a Mario Williams. Except I keep in mind that VJ's teams have 2 playoff wins in his career and Mario's team had 1, which he wasn't even a part of. In the meantime, the Ravens and their homegrown talent have gone to 4 straight postseasons and won 5 games, and were less than 1 second from the Superbowl this year. If anything, I'm just a bit miffed that we have so many holes on the roster and not enough draft picks, IMO. I wish the Redskins and Cowboys and Saints punishments were that the other 29 teams each got one of their draft picks, lol.

Edited by Ravenslifer, 25 March 2012 - 10:21 PM.

#276 J-man

J-man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

A sleeper linebacker I can see us getting is linebacker David Hawthorne. Not a blitz, but had 115 tackles last year. Kinda see him as a Jarret Johnson replacement.

Edited by J-man, 27 March 2012 - 05:39 PM.

#3hunna

Posted Image

#277 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,094 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

A sleeper linebacker I can see us getting is linebacker David Hawthorne. Not a blitz, but had 115 tackles last year. Kinda see him as a Jarret Johnson replacement.

According to Rotoworld, Hawthorne appears to be seriously engaged in talks to return to Seattle.

http://www.rotoworld...e=230749&spln=1

Truthfully I don't see it anyway. I have a feeling that one of our picks in the first 3 rounds will be used on a middle linebacker. Surprisingly, we've only drafted an MLB that high twice.