Ravens at Browns      Game Rewind      Rice Jersey Exchange   

Photo

MERGED: "Feelings" on How Free Agency is Going So Far

Free Agency Ravens NFL

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
276 replies to this topic

#1 scrock

scrock

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,884 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:16 PM

To the Ravens fans freaking out because the Ravens aren't making any moves, relax! Look at our past history, we rarely jump into free agency and start spending big money. Why ? Because we try to keep our own players and as you can see it's tough enough to do that.

We want to sign Webb to a long term deal, maybe Cary Williams too...plus we need to try to retain Jameel McClain or if he signs with another team we will eventually sign some 2nd tier guys or maybe some veterans who have been cut by teams to get under the salary cap.

The Ravens draft so well that are cap is always towards the max just trying to keep our own players. Every year we end up losing guys we think we must have and every year Ozzie brings in a few players like Bernard Pollard and Cory Redding, McKinnie, and they end up playing very well for us.

The main thing is getting the OL retooled, Ozzie and the front office have their board of free agents, they know what they are doing. We aren't Tampa Bay who can spend 30 million(against the cap) for 3 players. We will spend every dime we can but don't freak out...the Ravens are keeping to their normal ways of operation.

Which is just fine with me, you can't pay everyone. I really want to see Webb be a Raven for the long term, if that means we can't sign Grubbs and Yanda to big deals thats fine with me. Ozzie will find someone cheaper to plug in that plays just as well or we will spend a few picks in the draft on the OL and probably LB/DE.

Posted Image

"Those who hate most fervently must have once loved deeply; those who want to deny the world must have once embraced what they now set on fire"

#2 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,387 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

Let's cleanse the fanbase of whiny "sign everyone" fans. Hope they have their Bears, Bills, Bucs, and Titans/Broncos jerseys on order.

#3 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,724 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:21 PM

I'm still more pissed at Grubbs himself than the front office. We'll plug guys in for a year or two like we always do and try to groom young guns like Boren to fill the void after.

#4 admartian

admartian

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:24 PM

Let's cleanse the fanbase of whiny "sign everyone" fans. Hope they have their Bears, Bills, Bucs, and Titans/Broncos jerseys on order.

I was about to agree with the OP, as he makes perfect sense.

However, 'holier than though' fans really annoy me; because they think by acting a certain way, makes them "better fans". Bloody annoying.

Anyway, it's always tough to lose a really good player. But we do tend to draft well.

My only concern is that we miss more than we hit on the offensive side of the ball. Not saying we will miss, but our success rate on that side of the ball is nowhere near that of us drafting solid Ravens defensive players.

I mean just look at the laundry list of OLinemen that are no longer with the team/NFL, that we drafted in the 2nd to 4th round range.

I'm sure the rest of the fanbase will settle down once preseason starts. But, for now, it's pretty gloomy.

(Doesn't make us any less of a fan because we happen to react a certain way though. *rolleyes*)

Edited by admartian, 15 March 2012 - 02:25 PM.

#FlaccoProBowl2014 (Aug 2014 prediction)

Win or lose, I believe.

PS4 is WOW!

#5 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

There is a hand full of guys I might be interested but that's AFTER we sign our homegrown talent. I guess I just want rives deal and joes deal to get done so we can pay webb and cary

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#6 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,030 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

I was about to agree with the OP, as he makes perfect sense.

However, 'holier than though' fans really annoy me; because they think by acting a certain way, makes them "better fans". Bloody annoying.

C'mon, man, your signature reads...

Why is it that fans think they're being trendy or clever by selecting 'nobodies' or 'sleeper' college prospects in their mock drafts? Do they think Mel Kiper or an NFL scout team is going to say, "Hey, we see what you did there. Want a job?".

Please...

I agree that fans should and do express themselves. And, as long it's between the lines of the CoC, it can be whatever they want.
a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#7 admartian

admartian

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

C'mon, man, your signature reads...

[/font][/font][/size]

I agree that fans should and do express themselves. And, as long it's between the lines of the CoC, it can be whatever they want.

lol I know. My sig is mainly my own peeve expressed. I am well aware of how it looks.

By no means do I think that I am a better fan for not doing it thoug. I just don't like the practise. :)

Win or lose, I believe.

PS4 is WOW!

#8 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,030 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:40 PM

lol I know. My sig is mainly my own peeve expressed. I am well aware of how it looks.

By no means do I think that I am a better fan for not doing it thoug. I just don't like the practise. Posted Image

Perhaps hawkprey was merely expressing his own pet-peeve.

In any case, the Ravens are usually conservative in the FA market. Hopefully we'll sign some bargain players like we seem to do every year - Redding, Pollard, etc
a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#9 scrock

scrock

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,884 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

In any case, the Ravens are usually conservative in the FA market. Hopefully we'll sign some bargain players like we seem to do every year - Redding, Pollard, etc

thats the plan and we will draft well..we are ok

Posted Image

"Those who hate most fervently must have once loved deeply; those who want to deny the world must have once embraced what they now set on fire"

#10 admartian

admartian

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

fair enough i suppose.

i'm not even one to look for blockbuster names in FA. i only really expect us to keep our good players. this eyar, it seems like all we've done is stall on flacco and rice contracts, and now seemingly without a fight, let grubbs go.

Win or lose, I believe.

PS4 is WOW!

#11 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,740 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

fair enough i suppose.

i'm not even one to look for blockbuster names in FA. i only really expect us to keep our good players. this eyar, it seems like all we've done is stall on flacco and rice contracts, and now seemingly without a fight, let grubbs go.

The team has never been quick to lock up players in their relatively short history. Look how long it took to get franchise players like McAlister and Suggs long-term deals.

With the deals QBs clearly inferior to Joe (e.g. Fitzpatrick, Sanchez) and RBs not as durable or consistent as Ray (e.g. DeAngelo Williams, Chris Johnson) have received over the past two off-seasons, expecting either Flacco or Rice to be locked up in short order is unreasonable.

As for Grubbs, do you really think Pat Moriarty and company weren't desperately crunching the numbers and trying to sign him as well? Just on Monday, the Sun reported the organization made a pretty big offer. Link

Edited by Ed_Reed20, 15 March 2012 - 03:04 PM.

"...when Sean Taylor is in the neighborhood, you will feel him." - Al Michaels

Posted Image

ER20 takes off and then gets distracted by a debate going on...

#12 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,126 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

I'm still more pissed at Grubbs himself than the front office. We'll plug guys in for a year or two like we always do and try to groom young guns like Boren to fill the void after.

the Ravens allowed him to "test" the market....and....he did!! can't be mad a man for that! smh!

~Mili

Militant X 1

RayLewisSig1_zps3a0863e0.png

"I May be Done but I'm not Gone!"

- Ray Lewis

#13 Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

We haven't lost anybody that we either already have strong replacement or can easily replace in the draft.

Grubbs, Johnsen, and Redding are easily replaceable. So are McClan and Nakamora and Ayenbagel, though I think he'll be back.

#14 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

We haven't lost anybody that we either already have strong replacement or can easily replace in the draft.

Grubbs, Johnsen, and Redding are easily replaceable. So are McClan and Nakamora and Ayenbagel, though I think he'll be back.

The name misspelling joke has worn off now.

#15 scrock

scrock

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,884 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

you kind of already saw the writing on the wall for Grubbs, we signed Yanda to a big deal and we couldnt sink more money into the OL like that, it has to be spread throughout the team. guys like Webb, Joe and Rice's extensions, etc

Ozzie and Eric and the FO know whats out there, they have a plan...they will eventually make some moves in free agency, they will be bargains most likely or a veteran player who wants to go to a winning team...like Cory Redding a few years ago, like Bernard Pollard last year and McKinnie

I think the Ravens know the OL depth in the draft is good, I can see us drafting more than 1 OL...as well as LB

Posted Image

#16 ratedr

ratedr

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,167 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:08 PM

@PriscoCBS: Question: Who did Giants, Steelers, Packers, Ravens and Patriots sign today? Anybody? That's what good teams do -- and can do. Wait.

#17 MsMarvel73

MsMarvel73

BSHU cheerleader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,631 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

Ayanbagel???? :lolpoof: A y a n b a d e j o. *massive giggles*

Yeah I know this is how the Ravens operate but losing guys every year like this still freaking HURTS!!!!

One of the few things that will make all this feel better for me is the Great Oz drafting Konz out of Wisconsin.

CableandDeadpool_zpsb3c012fd.jpg

#18 Romo Ravens

Romo Ravens

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

@PriscoCBS: Question: Who did Giants, Steelers, Packers, Ravens and Patriots sign today? Anybody? That's what good teams do -- and can do. Wait.

Nice. I'd still like to see us add some depth players. We'll see what happens

#19 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:27 PM

No one is in panic imo lol. We are already stocked much more than any other team in both areas. Just address the needs : which are OL, pass rush and were good imo.

#20 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,724 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

the Ravens allowed him to "test" the market....and....he did!! can't be mad a man for that! smh!

~Mili

After they offered him a contract similar to what Yanda got. Clearly they offered everything they could without handcuffing the team. I'd say thats doing everything in your power to retain a player you really covet.