Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scrock

MERGED: "Feelings" on How Free Agency is Going So Far

277 posts in this topic

To the Ravens fans freaking out because the Ravens aren't making any moves, relax! Look at our past history, we rarely jump into free agency and start spending big money. Why ? Because we try to keep our own players and as you can see it's tough enough to do that.

We want to sign Webb to a long term deal, maybe Cary Williams too...plus we need to try to retain Jameel McClain or if he signs with another team we will eventually sign some 2nd tier guys or maybe some veterans who have been cut by teams to get under the salary cap.

The Ravens draft so well that are cap is always towards the max just trying to keep our own players. Every year we end up losing guys we think we must have and every year Ozzie brings in a few players like Bernard Pollard and Cory Redding, McKinnie, and they end up playing very well for us.

The main thing is getting the OL retooled, Ozzie and the front office have their board of free agents, they know what they are doing. We aren't Tampa Bay who can spend 30 million(against the cap) for 3 players. We will spend every dime we can but don't freak out...the Ravens are keeping to their normal ways of operation.

Which is just fine with me, you can't pay everyone. I really want to see Webb be a Raven for the long term, if that means we can't sign Grubbs and Yanda to big deals thats fine with me. Ozzie will find someone cheaper to plug in that plays just as well or we will spend a few picks in the draft on the OL and probably LB/DE.

Let's cleanse the fanbase of whiny "sign everyone" fans. Hope they have their Bears, Bills, Bucs, and Titans/Broncos jerseys on order.

I'm still more pissed at Grubbs himself than the front office. We'll plug guys in for a year or two like we always do and try to groom young guns like Boren to fill the void after.

[quote name='hawkprey' timestamp='1331839148' post='1023327']
Let's cleanse the fanbase of whiny "sign everyone" fans. Hope they have their Bears, Bills, Bucs, and Titans/Broncos jerseys on order.
[/quote]
I was about to agree with the OP, as he makes perfect sense.

However, 'holier than though' fans really annoy me; because they think by acting a certain way, makes them "better fans". Bloody annoying.

Anyway, it's always tough to lose a really good player. But we do tend to draft well.

My only concern is that we miss more than we hit on the offensive side of the ball. Not saying we [i]will[/i] miss, but our success rate on that side of the ball is nowhere near that of us drafting solid Ravens defensive players.

I mean just look at the laundry list of OLinemen that are no longer with the team/NFL, that we drafted in the 2nd to 4th round range.

I'm sure the rest of the fanbase will settle down once preseason starts. But, for now, it's pretty gloomy.

(Doesn't make us any less of a fan because we happen to react a certain way though. *rolleyes*)

There is a hand full of guys I might be interested but that's AFTER we sign our homegrown talent. I guess I just want rives deal and joes deal to get done so we can pay webb and cary

[quote name='admartian' timestamp='1331839486' post='1023339']
I was about to agree with the OP, as he makes perfect sense.

However, 'holier than though' fans really annoy me; because they think by acting a certain way, makes them "better fans". Bloody annoying.
[/quote]

C'mon, man, your signature reads...

[quote][color=#ff0000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Why is it that fans think they're being trendy or clever by selecting 'nobodies' or 'sleeper' college prospects in their mock drafts? Do they think Mel Kiper or an NFL scout team is going to say, "Hey, we see what you did there. Want a job?".[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#ff0000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Please...[/size][/font][/color][size=4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][/quote][/font][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I agree that fans should and do express themselves. And, as long it's between the lines of the CoC, it can be whatever they want.[/font][/size]

[quote name='berad' timestamp='1331839731' post='1023348']

C'mon, man, your signature reads...

[/font][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I agree that fans should and do express themselves. And, as long it's between the lines of the CoC, it can be whatever they want.[/font][/size]
[/quote]
lol I know. My sig is mainly my own peeve expressed. I am well aware of how it looks.

By no means do I think that I am a better fan for not doing it thoug. I just don't like the practise. :)

[quote name='admartian' timestamp='1331840163' post='1023357']
lol I know. My sig is mainly my own peeve expressed. I am well aware of how it looks.

By no means do I think that I am a better fan for not doing it thoug. I just don't like the practise. [img]http://content.boards.baltimoreravens.com//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]
[/quote]

Perhaps hawkprey was merely expressing his own pet-peeve.

In any case, the Ravens are usually conservative in the FA market. Hopefully we'll sign some bargain players like we seem to do every year - Redding, Pollard, etc

[quote name='berad' timestamp='1331840427' post='1023366']

In any case, the Ravens are usually conservative in the FA market. [b]Hopefully we'll sign some bargain players like we seem to do every year - Redding, Pollard, etc[/b]
[/quote]

thats the plan and we will draft well..we are ok

[quote name='berad' timestamp='1331840427' post='1023366']

In any case, the Ravens are usually conservative in the FA market. Hopefully we'll sign some bargain players like we seem to do every year - Redding, Pollard, etc
[/quote]
fair enough i suppose.

i'm not even one to look for blockbuster names in FA. i only really expect us to keep our good players. this eyar, it seems like all we've done is stall on flacco and rice contracts, and now seemingly without a fight, let grubbs go.

[quote name='admartian' timestamp='1331840886' post='1023374']
fair enough i suppose.

[b]i'm not even one to look for blockbuster names in FA. i only really expect us to keep our good players. this eyar, it seems like all we've done is stall on flacco and rice contracts, and now seemingly without a fight, let grubbs go.[/b]
[/quote]

The team has never been quick to lock up players in their relatively short history. Look how long it took to get franchise players like McAlister and Suggs long-term deals.

With the deals QBs clearly inferior to Joe (e.g. Fitzpatrick, Sanchez) and RBs not as durable or consistent as Ray (e.g. DeAngelo Williams, Chris Johnson) have received over the past two off-seasons, expecting either Flacco or Rice to be locked up in short order is unreasonable.

As for Grubbs, do you really think Pat Moriarty and company weren't desperately crunching the numbers and trying to sign him as well? Just on Monday, the Sun reported the organization made a pretty big offer. [url="http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ravens-news-and-notes-20120311,0,7008854.story"]Link[/url]

[quote name='Bltravens' timestamp='1331839301' post='1023333']
[u][b]I'm still more pissed at Grubbs himself than the front office[/b][/u]. We'll plug guys in for a year or two like we always do and try to groom young guns like Boren to fill the void after.
[/quote]

the Ravens allowed him to "test" the market....and....he did!! can't be mad a man for that! smh!

~Mili

We haven't lost anybody that we either already have strong replacement or can easily replace in the draft.

Grubbs, Johnsen, and Redding are easily replaceable. So are McClan and Nakamora and Ayenbagel, though I think he'll be back.

[quote name='Bazooka Joe' timestamp='1331842695' post='1023422']
We haven't lost anybody that we either already have strong replacement or can easily replace in the draft.

Grubbs, Johnsen, and Redding are easily replaceable. So are McClan and Nakamora and Ayenbagel, though I think he'll be back.
[/quote]

The name misspelling joke has worn off now.

you kind of already saw the writing on the wall for Grubbs, we signed Yanda to a big deal and we couldnt sink more money into the OL like that, it has to be spread throughout the team. guys like Webb, Joe and Rice's extensions, etc

Ozzie and Eric and the FO know whats out there, they have a plan...they will eventually make some moves in free agency, they will be bargains most likely or a veteran player who wants to go to a winning team...like Cory Redding a few years ago, like Bernard Pollard last year and McKinnie

I think the Ravens know the OL depth in the draft is good, I can see us drafting more than 1 OL...as well as LB

@PriscoCBS: Question: Who did Giants, Steelers, Packers, Ravens and Patriots sign today? Anybody? That's what good teams do -- and can do. Wait.

Ayanbagel???? :lolpoof: A y a n b a d e j o. *massive giggles*

Yeah I know this is how the Ravens operate but losing guys every year like this still freaking HURTS!!!!

One of the few things that will make all this feel better for me is the Great Oz drafting Konz out of Wisconsin.

[quote name='ratedr' timestamp='1331845681' post='1023500']@PriscoCBS: Question: Who did Giants, Steelers, Packers, Ravens and Patriots sign today? Anybody? That's what good teams do -- and can do. Wait.[/quote]

Nice. I'd still like to see us add some depth players. We'll see what happens

No one is in panic imo lol. We are already stocked much more than any other team in both areas. Just address the needs : which are OL, pass rush and were good imo.

[quote name='Militant X 1' timestamp='1331842283' post='1023412']

the Ravens allowed him to "test" the market....and....he did!! can't be mad a man for that! smh!

~Mili
[/quote]
After they offered him a contract similar to what Yanda got. Clearly they offered everything they could without handcuffing the team. I'd say thats doing everything in your power to retain a player you really covet.

The players that we want should still be there after FA goes on for a few more days. We refuse to overpay for someone only to have to cut them to save cap space later.

[quote name='PARavensgirl' timestamp='1331845786' post='1023502']
Ayanbagel???? [img]http://content.boards.baltimoreravens.com//public/style_emoticons/default/lolpoof.gif[/img] A y a n b a d e j o. *massive giggles*

Yeah I know this is how the Ravens operate but losing guys every year like this still freaking HURTS!!!!

One of the few things that will make all this feel better for me is the Great Oz drafting Konz out of Wisconsin.
[/quote]
Completely agreed.

[quote name='Romo Ravens' timestamp='1331846114' post='1023516']
Nice. I'd still like to see us add some depth players. We'll see what happens
[/quote]

The giants signed a TE. But they signed him for cheap so the point stands :P

[quote name='ratedr' timestamp='1331845681' post='1023500']
@PriscoCBS: Question: Who did Giants, Steelers, Packers, Ravens and Patriots sign today? Anybody? That's what good teams do -- and can do. Wait.
[/quote]

Prisco called us a good team? Last year he was ragging on us for signing Leach.

I know this is how the Ravens' organization works, but I can't say it is good for my blood pressure! lol

It is going to take me while to get over JJ and Redding leaving as they were among two of my favorites... everyone can be replaced I know, but I don't think they are as "easily" replaceable as some may think...just give me some time 'cause I don't do change well, OK??? lol [img]http://content.boards.baltimoreravens.com//public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[quote name='scrock' timestamp='1331838998' post='1023322']
To the Ravens fans freaking out because the Ravens aren't making any moves, relax! Look at our past history, we rarely jump into free agency and start spending big money. Why ? Because we try to keep our own players and as you can see it's tough enough to do that.

We want to sign Webb to a long term deal, maybe Cary Williams too...plus we need to try to retain Jameel McClain or if he signs with another team we will eventually sign some 2nd tier guys or maybe some veterans who have been cut by teams to get under the salary cap.

The Ravens draft so well that are cap is always towards the max just trying to keep our own players. Every year we end up losing guys we think we must have and every year Ozzie brings in a few players like Bernard Pollard and Cory Redding, McKinnie, and they end up playing very well for us.

The main thing is getting the OL retooled, Ozzie and the front office have their board of free agents, they know what they are doing. We aren't Tampa Bay who can spend 30 million(against the cap) for 3 players. We will spend every dime we can but don't freak out...the Ravens are keeping to their normal ways of operation.

Which is just fine with me, you can't pay everyone. I really want to see Webb be a Raven for the long term, if that means we can't sign Grubbs and Yanda to big deals thats fine with me. Ozzie will find someone cheaper to plug in that plays just as well or we will spend a few picks in the draft on the OL and probably LB/DE.
[/quote]
All I want is for us to resign our own guys. We lost 3 starters in 2 days. The Baltimore Ravens don't usually operate like that.

[quote name='Bltravens' timestamp='1331839301' post='1023333']
I'm still more pissed at Grubbs himself than the front office. We'll plug guys in for a year or two like we always do and try to groom young guns like Boren to fill the void after.
[/quote]

Mad at him for what? Wanting to make money?

Double J and Ben Grubbs did what they had to do, after all the is the NFL - Not For Long .. They got paid rather nicely to teams who are desperate and willing to deal out huge money. All the top quality organizations like the Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, Packers are making no noise because we draft well, thats how you consistently win.

Our biggest move and the one that makes me most happy will be signing Lardarious Webb long-term. This is all I`m worried about because I dont want another team offering on him. Other then that there is nothing to worry about, Ozzie and DeCosta have it covered.

[quote name='display name' timestamp='1331860000' post='1023772']
All I want is for us to resign our own guys. We lost 3 starters in 2 days. The Baltimore Ravens don't usually operate like that.
[/quote]

Last year was Mase, Heap, McClain, Gregg, Wilson, Landry, Chester (if you count that scrub), and that's not even including other role players. Plus Carr barely played.

JJ and Redding were slated to go, the Ravens could have kept them if they wanted. Grubbs took the big money and the Ravens couldn't - or didn't want to - match.

grubbs is gone , jarrett johnson is gone, cory reddings is gone we are so doomed [img]http://content.boards.baltimoreravens.com//public/style_emoticons/default/sad.png[/img]

If we sign Mathis, losing Grubbs won't hurt no more. If Kruger or Kindle show anything this year(especially Kruger who has had great plays on a part time basis) then losing JJ won't hurt, then if McPhee steps up big time in his second year, losing Redding won't hurt, and if we can somehow draft Kuechly or another LB and he turns out to be a great player, losing McClain won't hurt. In which all honesty, the only player I'm more concerned with was McClain. He stepped up big time when Ray went down and I'm sure Denver will sign him because of that, and they have more money to throw around.

Everyone will say the Ravens are doomed because so and so left but yet that just shows they don't pay attention to the Draft, what Ozzie does with finding undrafted Free Agents who become starters and don't pay attention to our team. We have younger guys in place that can replace Grubbs, Johnson and Redding. Once again, our young defense gets younger next year and even more talented.

[quote name='Bltravens' timestamp='1331847488' post='1023552']
[u][b]After they offered him a contract similar to what Yanda got. Clearly they offered everything they could without handcuffing the team[/b][/u]. I'd say thats doing everything in your power to retain a player you really covet.
[/quote]

i know that they "offered" him a contract BUT just because an offer was made that doesn't mean that he "automatically" has to accept it! therefore, if he doesn't, he is free to "test" the market. he did and now he's gone!

~Mili

Oz likes too keep the fans on their feet, keeping us in suspense till we see what happens. In Oz we trust.

The ravens are one of the best teams at finding value in free agency. All of these loser teams who are signing big dollar free agents should heed the warning given by the Eagles last year. Big names don't win championships.....solid teams do. The ravens will keep their young core talent in place when feasible and will replace what leaves. None of the players that have left are going to sink us as a franchise. we either have a younger option on the roster already or good value prsopects in FA or the draft.

[quote name='Purple Punishment' timestamp='1331860541' post='1023780']
Mad at him for what? Wanting to make money?
[/quote]

Mm yea. As usual, I'm of two minds about it. On one hand, the Ravens did everything they could to resign the guy, but obviously weren't going to give him 36 million bucks so that part of FA always makes me mad. On the other hand, the guy had what could be called a serious injury for a chunk of the season last year, so I could see him sitting at home thinking about how next time it could be more permanent, and wanting to get paid now. Bah. I hate it. I know it's reaaaaaaaallly stupid for me to be mad that we keep grooming awesome players (and on the offensive side of the ball less so) and people keep snapping them up. Just the way it works, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it :P

[quote name='jazz1988' timestamp='1331861665' post='1023794']
grubbs is gone , jarrett johnson is gone, cory reddings is gone we are so doomed [img]http://content.boards.baltimoreravens.com//public/style_emoticons/default/sad.png[/img]
[/quote]

i wouldn't say that we are doomed BUT i definitely don't like the fact that our main defensive boys are "testing" the market and other teams are snatching them up like hotcakes. smh!

~Mili

[quote name='Militant X 1' timestamp='1331907397' post='1024086']

i wouldn't say that we are doomed BUT i definitely don't like the fact that our main defensive boys are "testing" the market and other teams are snatching them up like hotcakes. smh!

~Mili
[/quote]

I wasnt serious about the ravens being doomed but it does sucks that key defensive players are leaving. I hope Jameel McCalin doesn't leave

Derrick Mason tweeted this yesterday, "BMore don't panic, y'all have the best GM in the business!"

We probably should listen to Mase!!

[quote name='757RavensFan' timestamp='1331910202' post='1024142']
Derrick Mason tweeted this yesterday, "BMore don't panic, y'all have the best GM in the business!"

[b]We probably should listen to Mase!![/b]
[/quote]
lmao....Mason had the experience; he thought for a sec we won't survive last year when he and Heap left Bmore.

Seriously, I don't feel panic at all after hearing all the news that our starters were snatched by other teams. I know Ozzie and the FO won't disappoint us like they have never before......

Every morning, I was relieved by not seeing Webb got stolen by other team........

Chillax Bro............

[quote name='TheRavenouseD2008' timestamp='1331911414' post='1024169']dude realy , realy we are losing stars like crazy guess we are joining pitt in rebuilding[/quote]

I'll be honest, I thought given what happened last year and how that turned out, I really thought there'd be a lot less whining this off-season when guys inevitably went elsewhere.

^ Agreed ..last year was so much more painful at the time but look how far we went with 20 new players o the roster. So this year I am not getting too upset if a few good players leave. Now if Webb leaves then I might get extremely depressed and swear that "I will never watch another Ravens game again" But then preseason will start and I will watch every game .LOL

I know the front office has a plan. And that every year we go through this period of change. We lose players we never thought we would and somehow the team grows.

But... I am starting to panic a little. Yes Joe and Rice are priority signings. But I sure hope WEBB is right up there getting signed. I just read that the Patriots were looking at him. I can't help but worry.

I'm not so much looking at the news to see who we signed. I'm avoiding the news to see who we lost!

*trying to be patient*

and I have read about Webb in a few places, here is just one (hope it's wrong) [url="http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2012/3/15/2873132/patriots-may-try-to-snare-webb"]http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2012/3/15/2873132/patriots-may-try-to-snare-webb[/url]

Great teams lose stars every year and rebuild. We were all so worried about CB coming into this season - so much so that they overpaid Carr, and suddenly Webb has come into his own and with the emergency of Jimmy he's become expendable. Our three key free agents were Rice, Webb, and Cary Williams to me - we're obviously set with Rice through this season, and retaining one of Webb or Williams is a win to me (especially if a desperate team pony's up a good second round pick for Cary) - we drafted Jimmy IMO for this reason - just like we drafted Todd Heap when we had Shannon Sharpe and when we took Jared Gaither when we still had J.O. And the growth of our young players - Jimmy, Torrey, Pernelle, Webb, the tight ends, etc. - always seems to offset the losses. I personally think that with a full offseason and a good fix of the o-line, we will be a much better team in 2012 than we were in 2011.

I don't want Webb to go anywhere.

And the draft can't get here soon enough.

Here's a questions: What was the biggest/best acquisition the Ravens have ever made in FA?

[quote name='stormie' timestamp='1331920990' post='1024402']
I don't want Webb to go anywhere.

And the draft can't get here soon enough.

Here's a questions: What was the biggest/best acquisition the Ravens have ever made in FA?
[/quote]

Rod Woodson would probably be near the top of that list, if not the top. You could also make the case for Steve McNair, even though he only had one good season it was still the best regular season record for the Ravens in franchise history. Shannon Sharpe certainly could be up there as well.

But for me I'd have to say Derrick Mason. He's the Ravens leader in receptions, yards receiving, and second in receiving touchdowns.

[quote name='Fricknmaniac' timestamp='1331921564' post='1024417']

Rod Woodson would probably be near the top of that list, if not the top. You could also make the case for Steve McNair, even though he only had one good season it was still the best regular season record for the Ravens in franchise history. Shannon Sharpe certainly could be up there as well.

But for me I'd have to say Derrick Mason. He's the Ravens leader in receptions, yards receiving, and second in receiving touchdowns.
[/quote]

Until Torrey Smith takes all of that!

[quote name='TheSim' timestamp='1331912110' post='1024187']
I'll be honest, I thought given what happened last year and how that turned out, I really thought there'd be a lot less whining this off-season when guys inevitably went elsewhere.
[/quote]

Yeah we never make the big splash no matter how much the media believes we should. Just resign our own guys, make a play at a few under-the-radar FA's, but otherwise our success in drafting allows us to lose some guys and have young guns step in right away, seamlessly