234 replies to this topic

#1 Purple Punishment

Purple Punishment

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:27 PM

I saw a recipe thread here so I figured we could make a thread dedicated to getting in great shape and also discuss nutrition, workout goals, diet, and supplements if you take them. Workout music is also a good one. I guess I'll give a little bit of each.

I used to work out 5 days a week but I stopped abruptly after my son was born in August, started eating bad, and not caring. I went from 197lbs to 220 in 6 months. I made excuses for myself to not get back in the gym or procrastinate rather.

I changed my diet back, lift for 40mins and do cardio (step aerobics owns all!) for an hour since 3 weeks ago, I have went down to 208lbs. So now, I am completely in my zone again!

One recipe I love is high Protein Pancakes and theyre really easy to make to boot.

2 cups of egg whites
1/2 cup of plain oats
1 cup of unflavored greek yogurt
2 scoops of whey protein
1tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 tbsp cinnamon

Throw that all into a blender and hit the button. The batter will be thin in the abscence of white flour. They are very low calorie, high in protein and a great source of good carbs.

Im taking Magnesium Creatine Chelate, Whey, and Casein proteins

Edited by Purple Punishment, 04 March 2012 - 11:28 PM.

"Im Pissed Off For Greatness" -Ray Lewis

PSN: RobtasticVoyage

#2 harfordravenfan

harfordravenfan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:23 AM

Nice topic, I'm one of those guys that seem to piss others off... I'm trying to gain not lose weight (muscle mass only)
Wanna get back up to 200 lbs, currently at 185. Lost over 20 lbs after a knee surgery & a back issue keeping me out the gym but trying to work myself back into things.
I'll try ur recipe our, sounds interesting

#3 MsMarvel73

MsMarvel73

BSHU cheerleader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,631 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

I'll come back to visit this thread once I've gotten a job and can afford a gym membership again. :)

CableandDeadpool_zpsb3c012fd.jpg

#4 harfordravenfan

harfordravenfan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:40 PM

I'll come back to visit this thread once I've gotten a job and can afford a gym membership again. :)

I have a gym at my job, yet I still make excuses lol

#5 JO_75

JO_75

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,960 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

Been working out pretty much every day and it has worked out for me. I was around 215lbs-220lbs and waist size 36 after several months I'm now down to a size 34 and 195lbs. I'm like 5'5-5'6 so I'm still considered overweight for my height so I have to lose a few more pounds to get down to where I should be for my height.

#6 Purple Punishment

Purple Punishment

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

Been working out pretty much every day and it has worked out for me. I was around 215lbs-220lbs and waist size 36 after several months I'm now down to a size 34 and 195lbs. I'm like 5'5-5'6 so I'm still considered overweight for my height so I have to lose a few more pounds to get down to where I should be for my height.

I used to be a 7 day a week person too but eventually you will burn out. Your body will require rest and if you take a day or 2 off, you will probably see gains and weight reduction faster

#7 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

5 days a week for 45 minuets on the bo-flex.

K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

You DO NOT know more than any coach in the NFL.  You simply do not.

#8 Purple Punishment

Purple Punishment

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

5 days a week for 45 minuets on the bo-flex.

hows that working for you? i never met anyone that had a bowflex. I was going to get myself one but my basement ceiling is just as tall as the bowflex at 7' tall

#9 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,690 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

Just started working out seriously again about a week ago, I did 3 reps of 6 with 200 lb dead-lifts today in my weight training class. I'm only 140 so I'm kind of proud about that lol.

I watched the movie 300, and then this motivational video the other day and I have been grinding it out since haha.

2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#10 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:40 PM

hows that working for you? i never met anyone that had a bowflex. I was going to get myself one but my basement ceiling is just as tall as the bowflex at 7' tall

Well we have "The Revolution" its much less than seven feet tall with the adjustable arms down. May be seven feet give or take with the arms all the way up.
Otherwise I like it a lot. It comes with a very helpful software trainer program that has made a world of difference for me.

K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

You DO NOT know more than any coach in the NFL.  You simply do not.

#11 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,690 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:54 PM

I was taking creakic hardcore creatine about a year ago for a few months. I stopped though because I didnt want it to affect my growth, but I worked out on it for about 2 months and gained about 10 pounds in muscle.
I would eat a lot of ramen noodles,tuna fish, and mashed potatoes before/after I worked out. This worked very well for me.

Today though I hit my speed bag for about 5-10 mins. Do about 100 crunches, bench around 120ish 30-35 times. Hit my regular bag, and do my curl bar thats 40 lbs like 35 times. Then the next day when I'm at school I go to weight training where I do so many different things.

I like to listen to anywhere from Eminem to J Cole to Metallica when I work out. I got my own playlist I put on and get in the zone.

My goal is to reach 150 before I graduate this year.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#12 BMOREHAWAII

BMOREHAWAII

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:35 PM

First off, congrats on getting back on track and losing that weight. It's a start to a beautiful life and health again. Not only do you help yourself out by feeling better and looking great, but your family will love a father who has lots of energy to spend time with your growing and obviously will be energetic child.

Off to the workout part. I have been working out on and off for years. I have taken alot of tips from body builders, athletes, and personal trainers (not mine).

When eating, eating healthy isn't the only essential part of a diet. But when trying to lose weight, eating moderately and in intervals, such as small meals in 2-3 hour intervals. Reason is daily, whether it's walking, standing, working out whatever, you burn ALOT of calories. If you have little of calories to burn you start burning the fat. If you eat a large amount but 2 or 3 times daily you have ALOT of calories to burn, and a lot less fat. So this would be my a daily routine when i was working out.

5:30 AM - 10oz. Whey protein/ banana or apple (optional)

6:00 - Light workout

8:00 - Handful of cashews or a banana nut muffin

12:00 - A small grilled chicken breast and string beans or broccoli

3:00 - Small bowl of soybeans or crackers or peanuts/cashews

5:00 - Cardio

6:00 - 8oz. Whey Protein - Heavy workout

8:00 - Salmon or any type of amino heavy food

10:00 - 4oz Whey Protein - sleep

When going to sleep, you get about 7-10 hours of no rehydration and no calorie intake. Remember no matter what it is you are doing you are burning calories, so thats why I ingest protein before sleep to feed my system before rest, and first thing when getting up to compensate lost fuel. Because when calories of the day have been burned, you body starts feeding on fuel that help keep your body strongER and healthIER

Good luck with your routines, and dont let up!.
"If the football gods were to create the perfect defensive player, he would be a MERE IMAGE of the immortal Ray Lewis.."

#13 Moderator 2

Moderator 2

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,134 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:41 PM

Nice topic, I'm one of those guys that seem to piss others off... I'm trying to gain not lose weight (muscle mass only)
Wanna get back up to 200 lbs, currently at 185. Lost over 20 lbs after a knee surgery & a back issue keeping me out the gym but trying to work myself back into things.
I'll try ur recipe our, sounds interesting

I hate you lol I smell food and it ends up on my butt and gut!
That being said I hope you surgery was successful. I have horrible knees and cant lift so I swim and do upper body. I never believed the high protein until my husband had stomach surgery and had to consume 40 to 60 grams a day. I have even found tortillas that are 7 grams of protein and live on Greek yougart. You actually stay full and feel better.
68f2a8.jpg

#14 MsMarvel73

MsMarvel73

BSHU cheerleader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,631 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

I've lost darn near 25 pounds since the middle of August last year, although I haven't seriously worked out since the beginning of February. :)

#15 BMOREHAWAII

BMOREHAWAII

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:01 PM

I've lost darn near 25 pounds since the middle of August last year, although I haven't seriously worked out since the beginning of February. Posted Image

Congrats, keep it up!

On the other hand iv'e gained about 15 pounds in 8 months. A back impingement ,and a torn muscle and cracked bone in my shoulder. Too much Corona's and steak. Can't wait to feel near a %100 percent again.
"If the football gods were to create the perfect defensive player, he would be a MERE IMAGE of the immortal Ray Lewis.."

#16 harfordravenfan

harfordravenfan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

I hate you lol I smell food and it ends up on my butt and gut!
That being said I hope you surgery was successful. I have horrible knees and cant lift so I swim and do upper body. I never believed the high protein until my husband had stomach surgery and had to consume 40 to 60 grams a day. I have even found tortillas that are 7 grams of protein and live on Greek yougart. You actually stay full and feel better.

Surgery went well but as you said, gotta stay away from any power lift with legs. I'll be getting back into the high protein & lifting soon. Just before the knee work I gained 15 pounds within 90 days with protein shake, bars, and pretty much eating everything possible and was still under 7% body fat. :-)
Eventually my metabolism will make me watch what I eat but enjoying it while I can lol

#17 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,092 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

First off, congrats on getting back on track and losing that weight. It's a start to a beautiful life and health again. Not only do you help yourself out by feeling better and looking great, but your family will love a father who has lots of energy to spend time with your growing and obviously will be energetic child.

Off to the workout part. I have been working out on and off for years. I have taken alot of tips from body builders, athletes, and personal trainers (not mine).

When eating, eating healthy isn't the only essential part of a diet. But when trying to lose weight, eating moderately and in intervals, such as small meals in 2-3 hour intervals. Reason is daily, whether it's walking, standing, working out whatever, you burn ALOT of calories. If you have little of calories to burn you start burning the fat. If you eat a large amount but 2 or 3 times daily you have ALOT of calories to burn, and a lot less fat. So this would be my a daily routine when i was working out.

5:30 AM - 10oz. Whey protein/ banana or apple (optional)

6:00 - Light workout

8:00 - Handful of cashews or a banana nut muffin

12:00 - A small grilled chicken breast and string beans or broccoli

3:00 - Small bowl of soybeans or crackers or peanuts/cashews

5:00 - Cardio

6:00 - 8oz. Whey Protein - Heavy workout

8:00 - Salmon or any type of amino heavy food

10:00 - 4oz Whey Protein - sleep

When going to sleep, you get about 7-10 hours of no rehydration and no calorie intake. Remember no matter what it is you are doing you are burning calories, so thats why I ingest protein before sleep to feed my system before rest, and first thing when getting up to compensate lost fuel. Because when calories of the day have been burned, you body starts feeding on fuel that help keep your body strongER and healthIER

Good luck with your routines, and dont let up!.

whey protein being that powder you mix with milk and take like a milkshake? that stuff

#18 MsMarvel73

MsMarvel73

BSHU cheerleader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,631 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

Congrats, keep it up!

On the other hand iv'e gained about 15 pounds in 8 months. A back impingement ,and a torn muscle and cracked bone in my shoulder. Too much Corona's and steak. Can't wait to feel near a %100 percent again.

Thanks! I intend on it. 20 more pounds and I'll hit my goal and I'll be, as a friend said on my FB today, 'unrecognizable'. Posted Image Of course the maintenance phase will be hard too. I've been told by folks who've been there that the maintenance requires a totally different mindset than the losing does. But I feel confident...when I think of where I was in August with the health scare....I ain't never ever going there again! :)

And I feel for you. Heal well. I know I went nuts when I had to heal my strained shoulder.

Edited by PARavensgirl, 07 March 2012 - 06:14 PM.

#19 BMOREHAWAII

BMOREHAWAII

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

whey protein being that powder you mix with milk and take like a milkshake? that stuff

Posted Image uhhh.....ya.

A protein shake could be soy, whey, meat, hydrolisate, egg, milk, etc...

Edited by BMOREHAWAII, 07 March 2012 - 06:16 PM.

#20 BMOREHAWAII

BMOREHAWAII

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

Thanks! I intend on it. 20 more pounds and I'll hit my goal and I'll be, as a friend said on my FB today, 'unrecognizable'. Posted Image Of course the maintenance phase will be hard too. I've been told by folks who've been there that the maintenance requires a totally different mindset than the losing does. But I feel confident...when I think of where I was in August with the health scare....I ain't never ever going there again! Posted Image

And I feel for you. Heal well. I know I went nuts when I had to heal my strained shoulder.

20 pounds is alot to have lost. You've done the hard part, keeping it there is alot easier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users