Photo

It's Time To Give Teryl Austin The Credit He Deserves

Teryl Austin secondary coach

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:22 PM

Cary Williams has a breakout year, Webb has a breakout year, Smith impresses, Gorrer surprises. Is it just a coincidence that we are suddenly set at cornerback?

Teryl Austin was promoted from assistant to secondary coach this past year. Look at his resume and it's no surprise why our cornerbacks all looked so good in 2011.
http://www.baltimore...ryl_Austin.aspx
Just look at the his work with the Cardinals between 2007-2009. "Three DBs earned the Pro Bowl: CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, S Antrel Rolle and S Adrian Wilson."

Think to yourself. Are the Cardinals really a defensive back factory? Or is it just Austin's presence who guided these players to stardom as he's done his entire coaching career?

As an outsider to the team, I can't tell how much coaching makes a difference. But looking at Austin's credentials, it seems he's one of the best secondary coaches in the league. If you notice the difference between this year's and last year's secondary, you might say coach Pagano gave Cary a chance to prove himself, and Webb healed from his injury enough to become an elite corner, and Danny Gorrer was just a pleasant surprise. However, it might just be that Teryl Austin, a common factor among all of our young corners' success this year, helped our players achieve their potential. Since secondary coaches don't get a lot of attention, I think we all should consider the fact that Teryl Austin might be largely to credit for a lot of our young corners' successes.

I have to congratulate our front office for bringing Austin into our coaching staff because in my opinion, he has made a huge difference to our team and solidified a once questionable secondary, and I think he deserves his moment in the spotlight.

#2 RavensWin09

RavensWin09

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:38 PM

why i give him credit is our cb's ages! 3 yrs, 3 yrs, rookie,3 yrs. our oldest corner in our starting rotation is in his 3rd year and we get this much production from our pass defense. thats pretty impressive. I always give credit to our coaches and our coaching is why ravens players are only successful in B-more. our scheme and style of coaching never makes our players successful anywhere else

but also don't forget we have reed and pollard for mentors though so.. credit to them 2.

#3 adam713

adam713

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:42 PM

I have to congratulate our front office for bringing Austin into our coaching staff because in my opinion, he has made a huge difference to our team and solidified a once questionable secondary, and I think he deserves his moment in the spotlight.

Agreed. Our secondary was pretty damn good this year and coaches of specific units usually get underrated. Definitely gave us a defensive edge vs. the passing game that was missing in recent years. Looking forward to them getting even better next season!

Also gotta give credit to the pressure we were able to apply to the QBs too.

#4 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,054 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:12 AM

I was thinking about this for a while. I was wondering if it was all Pagano, after all, Pagano was here all that time and we never really got anything from Cary through that period. Granted, he didn't get much time but still. I think it was a combination of the two. If our secondary continues to improve, I will buy into the belief that it is primarily Austin and not Pagano. I think Pagano has an eye for talent, but perhaps Austin is a guy who can bring it out of the guys better. Either way, our secondary improved and that's a big deal.

I am all for keeping Austin. Let's just not promote him to DC for a while.

#5 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:20 AM

I was thinking about this for a while. I was wondering if it was all Pagano, after all, Pagano was here all that time and we never really got anything from Cary through that period. Granted, he didn't get much time but still. I think it was a combination of the two. If our secondary continues to improve, I will buy into the belief that it is primarily Austin and not Pagano. I think Pagano has an eye for talent, but perhaps Austin is a guy who can bring it out of the guys better. Either way, our secondary improved and that's a big deal.

I am all for keeping Austin. Let's just not promote him to DC for a while.

I wouldn't promote him to DC right away because he was a secondary player/coach all his life and I'm not sure how he'd fare coaching an entire defense, but I can't help but think Austin deserves a lot more than he gets. Just look at his resume. When you look at every corner who has impressed this last season, the common factor is Teryl Austin and Pagano. I like both, but Pagano should have paid less attention to the secondary this season (being promoted) and Austin more.

why i give him credit is our cb's ages! 3 yrs, 3 yrs, rookie,3 yrs. our oldest corner in our starting rotation is in his 3rd year and we get this much production from our pass defense. thats pretty impressive. I always give credit to our coaches and our coaching is why ravens players are only successful in B-more. our scheme and style of coaching never makes our players successful anywhere else

but also don't forget we have reed and pollard for mentors though so.. credit to them 2.

I do credit Reed, and I know that Webb has been eager to absorb any knowledge he gets (according to Ray Lew back in '09), but there's been such a huge difference between our guys now and last year that I can't help but think Austin is largely to credit. I credit Webb, and Williams, and Gorrer, but for personal reasons I think Austin deserves the applause of the Ravens' fanbase, if only for a short time. (Not disagreeing, adding on to your post)

#6 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,714 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:23 AM

Our secondary has far outplayed the talent it's been composed of, especially in 2010. Austin has to get a lot of credit for that, and keeping the secondary serviceable with a constantly changing cast and a lot of young players is also impressive. I think the secondary is going to stabilize and be the strength of the defense, assuming we lock up Webb.

#7 raybaby

raybaby

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:31 AM

Our secondary def improved. We didn't play a lot of high flying offenses this season but I'll still be really confident in them next season if we play more of those type of offenses. Our sacks improved also which Suggs said had a lot to do with the back end doing so well which gave them more time to get to the quarterbacks. I'm sure it was a combination of both ends. I always believe coaching makes a difference. Hopefully we will continue to grow from here on out Posted Image

Edited by raybaby, 03 March 2012 - 12:32 AM.

#8 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:33 AM

He worked his magic at Florida too. The guy knows how to get results.
"No weapon forged against us shall prosper. And every tongue which rises against us in judgment, we shall condemn."

#9 JO_75

JO_75

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,783 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:58 AM

SHHHHHH. He's our secret weapon, now you made a thread about him and now every team will be lining up to make him a Head Coach, Teryl Austin does a horrible job and Webb and everyone produces in spite of him. lol jk.

All kidding aside, he deserves a ton of credit. I think if Jimmy Smith is a starter, Jimmy is going to have his breakout season this year, him and Webb will be unstoppable, hell we'll most likely force teams to run.. nope that won't work out either. So the fact teams won't be able to run the ball thanks to Ngata and Mt. Cody, they won't be able to throw the ball either because either Webb gets it, Jimmy gets it or Reed gets it, Pick your Poison.

Edited by JO_75, 03 March 2012 - 12:59 AM.

#10 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:04 AM

SHHHHHH. He's our secret weapon, now you made a thread about him and now every team will be lining up to make him a Head Coach, Teryl Austin does a horrible job and Webb and everyone produces in spite of him. lol jk.

All kidding aside, he deserves a ton of credit. I think if Jimmy Smith is a starter, Jimmy is going to have his breakout season this year, him and Webb will be unstoppable, hell we'll most likely force teams to run.. nope that won't work out either. So the fact teams won't be able to run the ball thanks to Ngata and Mt. Cody, they won't be able to throw the ball either because either Webb gets it, Jimmy gets it or Reed gets it, Pick your Poison.

Haha, if other teams are paying attention to me about the threads I make, I hope they want a 1st rounder for Tavares Gooden, because that's what's next! I think Austin will be on the move sooner or later, as was the nature of his career, but our corners are better because of him. There's no stopping that, there's no preventing that. I don't agree with drafting an early round corner because of his impact, but i don't disagree with drafting a late-round corner because of what he can provide to him. I'm just happy our coaches on defense have done such a good job.

#11 Guest_RBates_*

Guest_RBates_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:40 AM

Austin is a beast. We better hold on to him.

#12 Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:56 AM

Austin is not going anywhere. We can block his movementt for anything except a HC job.

Dean Pees is probably a stop gap DC for a couple of years. With Austin and Moncha-whatever his last name, we have strong in house DC candidates. Annd with Clarence Brooks and Martindale, we are deep in defensiive taalent.

Now lets get deep offensive coaching.

#13 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,961 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:07 AM

Austin is not going anywhere. We can block his movementt for anything except a HC job.

Wrong, you can only block lateral moves, any promotion at all we have no say in, so he can go somewhere as a DC

#14 EdReedFTW

EdReedFTW

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

Wrong, you can only block lateral moves, any promotion at all we have no say in, so he can go somewhere as a DC

No, he's right. It used to be an promotion couldn't be blocked but now for a coaching position unless it's a HC then you can block the move. For a management position you can block the move unless the new position has personel control (I think)
"I wanted to make the moves Reed does when he has the ball. I couldn’t do that. He can."-Ronnie Lott

#15 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,748 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

I was excited when he was hired and he proved his worth his first year. The DBs should all get even better next year.

Edited by Ed_Reed20, 03 March 2012 - 02:05 PM.

"...when Sean Taylor is in the neighborhood, you will feel him." - Al Michaels

Posted Image

ER20 takes off and then gets distracted by a debate going on...

#16 T-ray

T-ray

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

Ahem... not to pat myself on my back or anything, but I think I was one of the very few that said Webb would have a breakout year (although I did not think he would be THIS good, THIS soon) with a full year back from injury and with the new coach in Austin. I looked Austin's credentials up, and I was very very excited about him coming in. I mean, he got the best out of DRC, and that was when he was first in the league (DRC). Now, Rodgers-Cromartie is still good, don't get me wrong, but Austin got him to play his best on every down. Then Austin left AZ, and Rodgers-Cromartie started lolly gagging on certain plays/situations. Don't tell me that has nothing to do with a great coach making you work hard, teaching you the game. Plus, at Florida, he always fielded a top secondary, and this past year with him gone, the secondary looked horrendous. Austin is an excellent coach... I just pray that we hold on to him for a long, long time.
Mount Ravensmore, 2013 version: Matt Elam, Arthur Brown, and Brandon Williams.

#17 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,961 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

No, he's right. It used to be an promotion couldn't be blocked but now for a coaching position unless it's a HC then you can block the move. For a management position you can block the move unless the new position has personel control (I think)

when did this happen?

#18 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,357 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

LOL, yes, keep him under the radar so he isn't poached like our other defensive staff.
a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#19 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,281 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:32 AM

I would also like to give Dean Peas credit for the work he's done with our linebackers. Let's not forget he's been the one teaching guys like Kruger and Jameel McClain and Pernell McPhee. I'm actually more excited for the state of our defense next season than any other time in the Harbaugh era.

#20 EdReedFTW

EdReedFTW

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

when did this happen?

I dont know. I was just reading on NFL.com about how the rules had changed. That's part of the reason why Tampa Bay hasnt been able to get it's coordinators; because everyone keeps blocking them since only HC cant be blocked.
"I wanted to make the moves Reed does when he has the ball. I couldn’t do that. He can."-Ronnie Lott