Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MsMarvel73

What Are You Reading Right Now?

510 posts in this topic

Since we have the 'what are you listening to' thread, I decided to toss in a 'what are you reading right now' thread?

And if you aren't currently reading anything in particular, what sorts of stuff do you like to read (if you enjoy reading in the first place)?

I'm currently reading for the second time "A Brotherhood of Valor: The Common Soldiers of the Stonewall Brigade, C.S.A., and the Iron Brigade, U.S.A.' by Jeffry D. Wert. They are my two favorite Civil War brigades and I can not begin to say how well researched and written this book is.

Next two reads will be Alan Nolan's 1961 brigade history of the Iron Brigade "The Iron Brigade: A Military History" (which I've read countless times borrowing my Dad's copy) and "A Full Blown Yankee of the Iron Brigade: Service with the Sixth Wisconsin Volunteers" by Rufus Dawes (once they get here from Amazon).

Dead Of Night by Jonathan Maberry

"[i]A prison doctor injects a condemned serial killer with a formula designed to keep his consciousness awake while his body rots in the grave. But all drugs have unforeseen side effects. Before he could be buried, the killer wakes up. Hungry. Infected. Contagious.[/i]
[i]Small-town cop Dez Fox and her partner JT are caught in a wave of murder as everyone they know and love die...only to rise again as the ravenous living dead. If Dez and JT can't contain the plague inside the town limits, the infection will spread beyond all control.[/i]
[i]This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang, but a bite."[/i]

This - http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/topic/45381-what-are-you-reading-right-now/page__pid__991241#entry991241

[quote name='1/28/01' timestamp='1328896335' post='991342']
This - [url="http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/topic/45381-what-are-you-reading-right-now/page__pid__991241#entry991241"]http://boards.baltim...241#entry991241[/url]
[/quote]

Ok readable things that aren''t board threads and especially the board thread you're sitting in....smartiepants.. nor readable things like cereal boxes or appliance or IKEA furniture instructions!!! :D

[quote name='PARavensgirl' timestamp='1328899580' post='991395']

Ok readable things that aren''t board threads and especially the board thread you're sitting in....smartiepants.. nor readable things like cereal boxes or appliance or IKEA furniture instructions!!! [img]http://content.boards.baltimoreravens.com//public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png[/img]
[/quote]
hee hee...other than my wifes random People, nada!

[quote name='RisingandConquering' timestamp='1328900440' post='991413']
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Jules Vern (home)
[b]Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins (running)[/b]
The Scorpio Illusion - Robert Ludlum (lunch)
[/quote]
Was reading this until i got caught up in The Kite Runner. The first one was pretty good. The movie comes out this summer.

Just started reading the Hunger Games, since everyone was talking about it. Im also trying to read The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor.

I've just bought The Walking Dead Compendium One off Amazon, so I'm looking forward to reading that in the next couple of days! It's the first 48 issues of the comic in one book. Does anyone here read the comic series?

Currently, I have been reading "New Rules", by Bill Maher and "American Conspiracies", by Jesse Ventura. I hope to obtain some James Thurber soon.

My literature teacher from high school, who I still talk to after all these years, has recommended William Faulkner and Eudora Welty, so I shall try to find some of their works as well.

[quote name='Moderator 2' timestamp='1330112262' post='1001736']
Nothing my stupid Kindles screen went bad AGAIN! This is the fourth one!!
[/quote]

Wow! I'm still on my original and the only problem I've had is one very large bookset that wouldn't load properly. Have you tried rebooting it? You have to hold the power switch for quite a while until it actually powers off instead of going to sleep.

No this is the screen getting a cracked look. It is a known defect with the model I have. I think yours is older. My son has his text books on it now I am getting a Kindle fire in March. I feel so lost without it lol the last time this happened is when I came home from Fl in Oct. Amazon is replacing it again it will be here Monday or Tuesday. I have in a shock case and keep it in a Belkin case so nothing sitting on it.

[quote name='BmoreRav' timestamp='1329300970' post='994399']
I've just bought The Walking Dead Compendium One off Amazon, so I'm looking forward to reading that in the next couple of days! It's the first 48 issues of the comic in one book. Does anyone here read the comic series?
[/quote]

Yup, i've read them all. I forget what issue it is on currently, i believe issue #94 is the one i just read.

[quote name='Purple Nurple' timestamp='1330111105' post='1001724']
This thread
[/quote]

You obviously didn't read back far enough. I already told 28 that reading this thread doesn't count.

[quote name='PARavensgirl' timestamp='1330122529' post='1001959']

You obviously didn't read back far enough. I already told 28 that reading this thread doesn't count.
[/quote]
Get em

I read avidly, at least 7 full books a week.

In my stack currently are all of Robin Mckinelys published books, The Secret Histories Novel's by Simon R Green (Of which I believe there are 8), and the Unabridged Counte of Monte Cristo which is my second favorite book of all time, behind only Robin McKinely's The Hero and the Crown.

Anyone into Supernatural mystery type reading should check out the Secret Histories novels. Easily one of the best series Ive read. Also, Jim Butcher's Dresden Files are the greatest series Ive ever read. The main character is a smartass and is hilarious and destructive.

[quote name='IMissMattStover' timestamp='1330122819' post='1001967']
I read avidly, at least 7 full books a week.

In my stack currently are all of Robin Mckinelys published books, The Secret Histories Novel's by Simon R Green (Of which I believe there are 8), and the Unabridged Counte of Monte Cristo which is my second favorite book of all time, behind only Robin McKinely's [b]The Hero and the Crown[/b].

Anyone into Supernatural mystery type reading should check out the Secret Histories novels. Easily one of the best series Ive read. Also, Jim Butcher's Dresden Files are the greatest series Ive ever read. The main character is a smartass and is hilarious and destructive.
[/quote]

Never read that one. I read "The Blue Sword" and loved it so much I bought it. How do you think "The Hero and the Crown" compares?

[quote name='Ravenslifer' timestamp='1330139009' post='1002227']

Never read that one. I read "The Blue Sword" and loved it so much I bought it. How do you think "The Hero and the Crown" compares?
[/quote]

The Hero and the Crown is the prequel to Blue Sword. Obvoiusly I love it since it is my favorite book. It is definitely worth the purchase and read. My copy has no cover and is ragged from being read so many times. One might say it has great replay value lol.

[quote name='PARavensgirl' timestamp='1330122529' post='1001959']

[/quote]
You obviously didn't read the second post in your own thread. ;)

I was just poking my head in yesterday. I will do it again occasionally.

[quote name='Purple Nurple' timestamp='1330182114' post='1002381']

You obviously didn't read the second post in your own thread. ;)

I was just poking my head in yesterday. I will do it again occasionally.
[/quote]
Get her

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

[img]http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsar3lx1n41qdf6w8o1_500.gif[/img]