K-Dog

Recipes

141 posts in this topic

Its off season and life is moving slow.

Based on an idea from another thread how about some recipes?

Easy, hard, entere, dessert.

This one is so easy a kid can do it, but it is so good you will come across as a super hero.

Get an Oreo redy made pie crust

a box of sugar free chocolate jello pudding. (it MUST be sugar free)

Follow the directions on the box, BUT when it comes to adding the milk, cut it in half and then add heavy whipping cream instead.

You will end up with super fluffy chocolate mouse. The whipping cream will make it plenty sweet enough too.

People wont believe how good of a result you get from something so easy.

I knew this was coming as soon as I salivated over the thought if 1/28/01s enchiladas.

Im ready for some new food infusion!

See "I think Im just gonna hang out here for a bit" for the best enchiladas ever!

I make a mean Mediterranean Burger as well.

Throw in a bowl:

6-8 cut up garlic olives (or olives and few cloves of garlic separately)

1 diced tomato

Half an onion or so

Tablespoon or two of parmesan cheese

Some cut up fresh mozzarella

S&P

Sandwhich a spoon full or two of that between two burger patties and pinch closed with a fork! Cook to medium and Bam!

Edited by 1/28/01

SOUTHERN CORN PUDDING

INGREDIENTS:

1 CAN OF WHITE CREAM STYLE CORN

1 CAN OF WHITE WHOLE KERNEL OR SHOEPEG CORN (DRAINED)

1/2 CUP OF MILK

1/2 CUP OF SUGAR (I ONLY USE 1/4 CUP OF SUGAR) I AM SWEET ENOUGH! LOL

2 TABLESPOONS OF FLOUR

2 TABLESPOONS OF MELTED BUTTER

3 EGGS BEATEN

1/2 TEASPOON OF VANILLA FLAVORING/EXTRACT

SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE

DIRECTIONS:

(AN 8X8 PYREX GLASS BAKING DISH WORKS BEST)

MIX ALL INGREDIENTS TOGETHER AND BAKE AT 325 FOR 45 MINUTES!

Mmmmm Mmmmmm GOOD!

ENJOY !!!!

Wait until I get to my laptop lol I have been slowly putting all mine there. That corn pudding would have gone with my dinner on enchalada's last night lol

Layered Strawberry Dessert! So easy, but sooo good!

Bottom Layer: 2 cups crushed pretzels

1 1/2 sticks of softened butter or margarine

3 tablespoons of sugar

Mix and spread in a 9X13' pan. Bake for 8 mins. in a 400 degree oven.

Second Layer: 8 oz. package of softened cream cheese

1 cup of sugar

8 oz. container of Cool Whip (thawed at room temperature)

Blend together and spread on completely cooked bottom layer crust

Top Layer: 1 16 oz. Strawberry Jello

1 1/2 cups of boiling water (Mix these two with spoon until dissolved)

2 10 oz. packages frozen strawberries (Add to Jello mixture above, with a spoon until strawberries are thawed)

Spread on top of second layer and refrigerate. Slice when ready to serve and top with Cool Whip. Yummy!!!

Hint: You can lighten this up if you prefer, lol I do.

(ex. light Cool Whip, lowfat cream cheese, cut the butter and sugar amts. to your preferred taste. Splenda tends to make this recipie a little runny when used in place of regular sugar, but I have done half sugar/splenda just fine)

Edited by Grapple Raven

Chocolate Delight!

First Step: 1 cup of all purpose flour

1 stick of melted butter or margarine

1/2 cup of chopped pecans

1/2 tsp. of vanilla

2 tsps. of powdered sugar

Mix the above ingredients and press into a 9X13 baking pan (sprayed lightly with Pam), and bake for 20 - 25 mins. at 300 degrees

and LET IT COOL.

Second Step: 1 cup of powdered sugar

1 8 oz. package of cream cheese, softened

1 8 oz. container of Cool Whip

Mix and spread on crust. Refrigerate for 15 mins.

Third Step: 3 Small packages of Instant Chocolate Pudding mix

4 cups of cold milk

Mix and spread. Refrigerate for 15 mins.

Fourth Step: 1 8 oz. container of Cool Whip

Top with Cool Whip. Sprinkle with nuts if desired. Refrigerate. Its a real treat!

Edited by Grapple Raven

Carolina Casserole!

Ingredients:

1 lb. of lean ground beef

1 cup of celery, chopped

1 cup of onion, chopped

1 can of chicken and rice soup, undiluted

1 can of cream of mushroom soup, undiluted

1/2 cup rice, uncooked

1 cup of garden peas with the juice

Topping:

1 3 oz. can of chow mein noodles

Directions:

In a large skillet, brown meat, celery and onion. Drain excess fat and juices. Add both soups, rice, peas to meat mixture and blend well. Place mixture in a lightly greased 2 quart casserole dish and bake at 300 - 325 degree oven for 1 - 1 1/2 hours. About ten mins. before casserole is done put chow mein noodles evenly over the top and continue baking until cooking time is completed. Noodles should be lightly browned.

This is one of my top ten favorite recipies...Enjoy!

See "I think Im just gonna hang out here for a bit" for the best enchiladas ever!

I make a mean Mediterranean Burger as well.

Throw in a bowl:

6-8 cut up garlic olives (or olives and few cloves of garlic separately)

1 diced tomato

Half an onion or so

Tablespoon or two of parmesan cheese

Some cut up fresh mozzarella

S&P

Sandwhich a spoon full or two of that between two burger patties and pinch closed with a fork! Cooked to mediuma and Bam!

Sounds good, man. How about adding some pesto spread? Might kick it up a notch. I'll have to try this one.

Infallible Rice!

Ingredients:

1 medium onion, sliced

2 tablespoons of butter

1 cup of long-grained rice, uncooked

2 cups of chicken broth (I use two cans)

1/2 teaspoon of salt, optional

Directions:

In a skillet, saute onion in butter until onion is transparent

Combine onion, rice and broth and bring to a boil on top of range

Transfer to a baking dish, cover and bake for 20 mins. in a 325 degree oven

Serve and listen to the compliments! Great side dish.

(PS I include this recipe with every Wedding shower gift I send out because it is great for "new cooks". It is infallible! Impossible to ruin it!!! lol)

Infallible Rice!

Ingredients:

1 medium onion, sliced

2 tablespoons of butter

1 cup of long-grained rice, uncooked

2 cups of chicken broth (I use two cans)

1/2 teaspoon of salt, optional

Directions:

In a skillet, saute onion in butter until onion is transparent

Combine onion, rice and broth and bring to a boil on top of range

Transfer to a baking dish, cover and bake for 20 mins. in a 325 degree oven

Serve and listen to the compliments! Great side dish.

(PS I include this recipe with every Wedding shower gift I send out because it is great for "new cooks". It is infallible! Impossible to ruin it!!! lol)

I like your descriptions. "Infallible Rice!", "Chocolate Delight" It's good to know it's impossible to ruin. At least it's as-advertised.

Pasta Salad!

Ingredients:

1 7 oz. package of elbow macaroni

1 cup of frozen green peas, add frozen

1 cup of sliced pitted ripe olives, drained

1 small jar of sliced pimentos

1/3 cup of chopped onion

*2 cans of premimun chunk chicken, drained and hand shredded

Optional ingredients if you prefer:

1 cup of julienne sliced green pepper

2 cups of sliced mushrooms

Directions:

Prepare macaroni according to package directions, drain and add the remaining ingredients and mix together in a large mixing bowl.

In a skillet, warm the following ingredients (do not bring to a boil): {This makes a great salad dressing as a stand alone too!}

1/2 cup of olive oil

2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar

2 tablespoons of lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon of pepper

1/4 teaspoon of dry mustard

1/2 teaspoon of Tarragon leaves

Toss over salad ingredients and serve immediately!

This is good served warm or cold.

*Cubes or julienne slices of ham can be substituted for the chicken if you prefer and it is still great!

Let's go Filipino style here....

Chicken Adobo!

Saute some EVO and garlic

Once brown, throw in some chicken of your choice (I go boneless, skinless thighs...maybe 8 or so)

After the chicken cooks a bit and is no longer pink, throw enough vinegar and and soy sauce (I go 2 to 1 in favor of vinegar) to cover at least half the chicken, some S&P and a few bay leaves in the pot/pan.

Reduce to low and cook as long as your empty stomach will allow...at least 30 minutes.

Cook some rice, throw the chicken with some of the juices (au ju, if you will) on the rice and have at it

Oh yeah, and you're welcome cause its insane!!!

Edited by 1/28/01

Dill Dip!

1 cup of mayonaise MUST BE HELLMAN'S (don't ask me why it just does)

1 cup of sour cream

1/4 teaspoon of dill weed

Mix together! That's it! Dip away...Great with any veggies or with chips.

Edited by Grapple Raven

I like your descriptions. "Infallible Rice!", "Chocolate Delight" It's good to know it's impossible to ruin. At least it's as-advertised.

Explain Pasta Salad then, lol. I enjoy that every recipe title ends with "!"!

Its like hell yeah! Let's eat a third desert!!!

Edited by Purple Nurple

Okay...Football Eatin' Time... No aprons necessary cause there is no cookin'...

Taco Pizza Appetizer!

1 8 oz. package of cream cheese

1 8 oz. container of sour cream

1 8 oz. container of cottage cheese

1/2 of 1 package of Taco seasoning mix (measure out)

1 can of refried beans

1 small jar of Taco sauce, hot or mild...your preference

Your choice of dippers...pita chips, tortillia chips, etc., you get the idea, any thick chip will do

Your toppings of choice...shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sliced olives, shredded cheese, etc., the sky is the limit

Directions:

Mix the first four ingredients at room temperature together with an electric mixer until smooth

Take a pizza cooking sheet or a platter, spread the refried beans on the bottom, next spread the cheese mixture on top of the layer of refried beans, then top the cheese mixture with the jar of taco sauce spread evenly over, then cover with any toppings you like, set out a bowl of chips and your done.

Looks like a pizza, but its a dip! Ya can spoon on or dip in, but enjoy!

Optional: Now if ya just feel like ya have to cook something ya can...put ya apron on and...

Take ground beef( a 1/2 lb. or so) and mix it with the left over 1/2 of the taco mix from the recipe, browned them together, drain, crumble it up and added to the Taco Pizza appetizer as another topping, but it is optional!

Let's go Filipino style here....

Chicken Adobo!

Saute some EVO and garlic

Once brown, throw in some chicken of your choice (I go boneless, skinless thighs...maybe 8 or so)

After the chicken cooks a bit and is no longer pink, throw enough vinegar and and soy sauce (I go 2 to 1 in favor of vinegar) to cover at least half the chicken, some S&P and a few bay leaves in the pot/pan.

Reduce to low and cook as long as your empty stomach will allow...at least 30 minutes.

Cook some rice, throw the chicken with some of the juices (au ju, if you will) on the rice and have at it

Oh yeah, and you're welcome cause its insane!!!

Yeah, you gotta go dark meat with this. You can't make adobo with breast. It just doesn't taste right. And we're not talking any soy sauce! It's gotta be Maggi, man! I'm guessing EVO is "extra virgin olive oil"? Never heard it made with that, but that sounds good. We usually use the vegetable oil.

Yeah, you gotta go dark meat with this. You can't make adobo with breast. It just doesn't taste right. And we're not talking any soy sauce! It's gotta be Maggi, man! I'm guessing EVO is "extra virgin olive oil"? Never heard it made with that, but that sounds good. We usually use the vegetable oil.

Agree on all parts...EVO and vege oil both work. Yeah, thighs and drum sticks are the way to go! Damn, I know what I am making for dinner tonight!

So healthy foods aren't high on the recipe I would presume..

Rocking my chicken breast on whole wheat with my yogurt banana and strawberry kiwi protein smoothie..

Getting that vacation body ready..

Well not really but the effort is somewhat there

I love Chocolate Lava Cake! My sister and I are making some for the superbowl! Thats probably the most exciting part about this year's SB though.

Im a big fan of what I call "Greek chicken and pasta". Really simple to make, which is why I can cook it.

All you do is take a chicken breast, put it in a ziploc bag, put a healthy amount of olive oil and greek seasoning in it and let it soak for 20ish minutes. With the pasta you cook it regular style then just add olive oil and greek seasoning like you would for tomato sauce.

Im a big fan of what I call "Greek chicken and pasta". Really simple to make, which is why I can cook it.

All you do is take a chicken breast, put it in a ziploc bag, put a healthy amount of olive oil and greek seasoning in it and let it soak for 20ish minutes. With the pasta you cook it regular style then just add olive oil and greek seasoning like you would for tomato sauce.

I am trying that idea soon with steak, olive oil, and smoked pink himalayian salt.

So healthy foods aren't high on the recipe I would presume..

Rocking my chicken breast on whole wheat with my yogurt banana and strawberry kiwi protein smoothie..

Getting that vacation body ready..

Well not really but the effort is somewhat there

LoL, don't presume codizzle. When I give recipies to others I cite them originally as they were given to me. When I make the recipies I have listed here I make the necessary adjustments to make sure they are healthy as per my nutritionist. lol However, sometimes low fat or fat free items are not always the best options, because where they make up for the taste is usually in added salt or sugar. But smart decisions to cut where ya can in a recipe can make all recipies a healthier option. Best thing is to eat a balance diet, and control portions. I should know I lost 26 lbs. last year. lol

Edited by Grapple Raven

LoL, don't presume codizzle. When I give recipies to others I cite them originally as they were given to me. When I make the recipies I have listed here I make the necessary adjustments to make sure they are healthy as per my nutritionist. lol However, sometimes low fat or fat free items are not always the best options, because where they make up for the taste is usually in added salt or sugar. But smart decisions to cut where ya can in a recipe can make all recipies a healthier option. Best thing is to eat a balance diet, and control portions. I should know I lost 26 lbs. last year. lol

Meant to say recipe thread* .. Just a little statement based off of the stuff posted so far..

And u are definitely right with the low fat/fat free statement....

Most items nowadays say low this or that but u have to read the nutritional guide to get the full story.. Drinks are the worst thing.. People drink soo much soda and just sugar in general its insane..

I discovered an amazing 'wing' sauce. I have been using it for cocktail meatballs for years but 1 bottle of chili sauce and a can of cranberries and mix it together in a zip lock add 1 tablespoon of red pepper flakes and I add 2 lbs chicken drumsticks to marinate in the fridge for an hour. Cook the chicken in the oven or grill until 160 degrees. Halfway through the cooking I baste the chicken with more sauce yummy yummy yummy.

I like the drums better then wings more meat less skin and the are 99 cents a lb lol

I refuse to buy into the fat free hype I will used reduced fat they take out the fat and usually add sugar or other bad things. I would rather eat less of a full flavored something. I have to stay away from white sugar-- it's like a drug to me.

I was flabbergasted when my nutritionist told me there were 9 teaspoons of sugar in just 1 12 oz. can of any brand of soda. Needless to say I drink only water now with an occasional Crystal Light stick for flavor! lol

Tip #1 Cracked black pepper will keep your body's metabolism running longer because it takes longer for the body to break it down. I use alot!!!

Tip# 2 Eating approx. 12 to 14 plain almonds a day will help to burn belly fat, there is also an enzyme in watermelon that will do the same thing in a regular serving of the fruit.

Tailgate Pasta

1 lb of penne pasta regular or whole wheat

1 lb hot Itilian sausage

1/2 lb ground beef- I use 90/10

2 cans of cheddar cheese soup not diluted

1 jar spaghetti sauce

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Breakup the sausage and ground beef and cook until done. Cook the pasta according to the package I usually cook to al dente. Prepare a 9 x13 dish with cooking spray set aside. In a large bowl combine the spaghetti sauce and un diluted cheddar cheese soup, cup of shredded cheese, drained meat and pasta and mix well. Put it in your prepared pan, toss the other cheese on top, cover with foil and cook at 350 until bubbly about 20 to 30 mins. I bring this to every game for tailgate in one of the insulated Pyrex portables and it keeps it great all of tailgate.

I actually had this published in a cook book it came in 3rd for tailgate recipes lol

I was flabbergasted when my nutritionist told me there were 9 teaspoons of sugar in just 1 12 oz. can of any brand of soda. Needless to say I drink only water now with an occasional Crystal Light stick for flavor! lol

Tip #1 Cracked black pepper will keep your body's metabolism running longer because it takes longer for the body to break it down. I use alot!!!

Tip# 2 Eating approx. 12 to 14 plain almonds a day will help to burn belly fat, there is also an enzyme in watermelon that will do the same thing in a regular serving of the fruit.

I use a lot of red pepper flakes on everything to pump up the metabolism AND I always scoffed at the diet soda makes you fat until I started drinking sparkling water in an effort to drink more water and get healthy. I used to drink almost 2 liters of diet soda a day-- I am down to 2 sodas a day. Goes with my sugar addiction/ cravings I think. I can not drink plain water to me it's gross

Simple, yet damn good... Party hosts make us bring these like they're some sort of special app.

Frozen meatballs (bag or two...can go Turkey Mr. Codizzle)

Equal parts chili sauce and grape jelly (normally one jar each)

Toss in crock pot and let 'em cook away.

I am not much of a defined recipe sorta guy, so here's my take on some mussels and chirizo over pasta.

Start off with EVO and garlic (my go to) in a pan

Once slightly browned, toss in two chopped bell peppers of your choice (red, green, yellow...whatever), a diced tomato and some tomato paste (about half one of the small cans)

Let that go for 5 minutes or so

In another pot/pan, throw your mussels in with some butter and whatever spices you like (oddly enough, I just sprinkle a little garlic powder)

Now, cut up some chirizo (I go with about 3 or 4 links that are about 4 inches) and toss that in with the peppers, tomato and whatever else I told you to throw in the first pan.

Once the mussels start to open up, toss them in the first pan and let everything go for another 5 minutes on low.

Cook some pasta, toss some of this on there and yeah buddy!!!

Watermelon is a double edged sword because it has such a high glycemic index.

Fat busting tips are really easy, if it is fast its no good. 3 square meals a day. In between those meals, have a small snack like fruit, nuts, etc. to keep your metabolism burning

Don't eat until you feel full, take your time eating. It takes your brain 20 minutes from the time your first bite hits your belly to signal to your stomach that youre indeed eating.

Diet is the most important way to lose weight but without exercise you won't see results in a decent amount of time. Some may get discouraged but change takes time.

As for diet soda, cut all soda out. Your body doesn't process the fake sugar very well and that fake sugar can lead to health problems down the line.

If a food is low fat, that doesn't mean its not going to make you fat. A lot of people make this mistake and gain a lot of weight. Your body actually needs fat for proper balance. Simply put, food fat does not equal you're fat

I will add more later....

Edited by Purple Punishment

Way back in the 80's there was a dietician I was working with was doing a paper on low fat so it was 15-20 grams a day but you did not have count calories. I ate fat free pound a pasta, Twinkies all this crap I never ate and gained 6 lbs in a month smh balance and calorie control burn more then you take in.

Okay, let me get in on this.

Balsamic Strawberries

-Box of strawberries

-Balsamic vinegar

-Fresh cracked black pepper

Cut the tops off your strawberries. Put them in a bowl after washing. Drizzle some balsamic vinegar on top. Put some fresh cracked black pepper on top & serve. It's light, it's sweet, it's right, it's neat! The vinegar brings out the sweetness of the strawberries. It's not sour if you do it right.

This is a Milanese dessert. Enjoy.

Okay, let me get in on this.

Balsamic Strawberries

-Box of strawberries

-Balsamic vinegar

-Fresh cracked black pepper

Cut the tops off your strawberries. Put them in a bowl after washing. Drizzle some balsamic vinegar on top. Put some fresh cracked black pepper on top & serve. It's light, it's sweet, it's right, it's neat! The vinegar brings out the sweetness of the strawberries. It's not sour if you do it right.

This is a Milanese dessert. Enjoy.

I'll go one better...balsamic on rice krispy treats. Yeah, thats right! Give it a whirl :)

I'll go one better...balsamic on rice krispy treats. Yeah, thats right! Give it a whirl smile.png

Fascinating! I will try it.

Funfetti cupcakes, because, well, they're fun!!! (oh yeah, follow the box...its a doozy)

2012-02-04_14-58-55_332.jpg?t=1328386771

I make the kids funfetti cake for school with no icing. Better for them then packaged stuff

We all have that inner chef in us.

What are some of your favorite dishes? What are you eating right now? Favorite recipes? Restaurant recommendations??...

I got a dozen crabs, and I'm ready to go to town! :) ...

'The Blue Crab House' always has great sized crabs, every place is pricey but they are definitely worth it. I feel if you're going to buy crabs you might as well go big, they are always consistent with their sizes, never dissapointment from them.

Aside from grilling out red meat, chicken and fish -- I love making lasagna rolls. I use spinach and tofu in place of the ricotta cheese and no one is ever the wiser. If they knew it was healthy for them, they'd probably never eat it. That is by far my favorite dish to make, took me a few times to 'perfect' but it is awesome! The secret is in the sauce (not really). Recipe is below if anyone wants to give it a go!

You Will Need:

12 whole-wheat lasagna noodles

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu, drained, rinsed and crumbled

3 cups chopped spinach

1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

2 tablespoons finely chopped Kalamata olives (optional)

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)

1 25-ounce jar marinara sauce (your choice, I usually go with low-sodium, no meat, no mushrooms)

1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

What You Need To Do:

Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Cook noodles thoroughly. Drain and rinse. Return noodles to the pot & cover with cold water until you're ready to use.

Heat oil in a nonstick skillet (medium heat). Add garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant (30 seconds or so). Add in the tofu and spinach, stirring often until the spinach wilts. Heat the mixture thoroughly (3 - 5 minutes). Transfer skillet contents to a bowl and stir in Parmesan, olives, crushed red pepper, salt & 2/3 cup marinara sauce.

Clean out the pan and spread 1 cup marinara sauce into the bottom. To make the lasagna rolls, place noodle on a cutting board or aluminum foil (or any flat surface for that matter) and spread 1/4 cup of the tofu filling along it. Roll it up and place it seamed-side down into the pan. Repeat this for the remaining noodles. (Please be sure to use a larger pan for this because sometimes the last one just doesn't want to go in the pan.) With a spoon, place the remaining marinara sauce on top of the rolls.

Cover the pan on high heat, bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium and let it continue to simmer for about 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle the rolls with mozzarella and cover the pan again until the cheese is melted and the rolls are heated thoroughly (2 minutes). And serve.

-----

The first time through, it will probably take you about an hour and a half, but as you get better at it you can knock it down into about the 45-60 minute range.

Give the recipe a try, let me know what you think. I promise you, you'll never notice the difference and neither will whoever you're sharing it with.

~ Malkavian Raven

Enjoy!

Edited by Malkavian Raven

There is a pretty decent size thread around here somewhere with some good eats...

Too lazy to search for it, as its Sunday evening and I am doing nothing right now!!!