56 replies to this topic

#1 EnVy_CaLiBeR

EnVy_CaLiBeR

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

Of Microsoft's next console effectively getting rid of used games? I don't believe nothing is confirmed that they will or HOW they will do it but it's going around the web.

Personally, they'd never see a cent out of me. Sure, it's wrong that developers don't see the money out the used game market BUT it's also wrong that they would try to handcuff how their consumers purchase games. They already overcharge for DLC on games, charge their customers to use Xbox Live, and other means of getting that money back, so why should they touch one of the ways consumers can save money on their gaming habits. It's quite ridiculous that there's even a possibility that this could occur. Gaming is an expensive hobby as it is and they get billions of dollars out of the market already. Depending on how they do it, they'd not only be killing used games but they'd effectively kill renting games and taking games to your friend's houses unless you brought your system. Imagine a gaming world where'd that would be the case. Pure greed is what this whole situation is about.

I'm a Playstation guy, but it's makes you wonder if other gaming companies such as Sony will follow the practice as well. The day this report gets confirmed will be a sad one.

"All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream.."-- EAP

CJ_Mosley.jpg

#2 theFRANCHISE

theFRANCHISE

Hall of Famer

• Reserve Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,117 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:29 PM

The gaming industry wants to eliminate the used game market but it'll only hurt the industry in the long run.

While publishers and developers don't see a dime from used copies, the long-term effect of used games includes the discovery of titles that consumers wouldn't ordinarily be able/willing to try at full retail price, leading to newfound brand loyalty.

For example, I never would've pre-ordered a new copy of Batman Arkham City if I hadn't bought a used copy of Arkham Asylum and fell in love with it. Same with the Assassin's Creed series.

This will do nothing but create bad blood between the gaming industry and consumers, which will affect sales in the long run.

Posted Image

#3 bauer77

bauer77

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:36 PM

Its freaking annoying to say it blatantly. Like you said, they are already making from charging for xbox live, all the accessories, people buying a system, DLC's that are overpriced, marketplace games that you can buy, and a whole bunch of other things.

Not to mention the fact, that if you want a game like Battlefield, or even Madden, and you wanna play it online, you need the online pass. So you probably wouldn't be able to buy it used then.

Like you said, its all greed. I have put so much money into games, gaming things, etc. that its unbelievable. Just last year, i bought Saints Row 3, MW3, Batman, Halo: CE, Skyrim, Dead Island, Gears 3, and at least 2 more that i can't think of. And i had to buy a new controller. So thats $60 for every NEW game, and like $35 for the controller. About $600 on video games. I had to buy a new xbox at the beginning of summer cause that went up from the infamous RRoD. Another $200. So $800 just last year. I know that sounds like a lot, but most of those games came out at the end of the year. I couldn't imagine what some people pay, if they get a few new games every month. So idk what more they want out of us lol.

Edited by bauer77, 27 January 2012 - 10:36 PM.

nb4yyq.jpg
If tomorrow wasn't promised, what would you give for today? - Ray Lewis
Twitter

#4 theFRANCHISE

theFRANCHISE

Hall of Famer

• Reserve Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,117 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:42 PM

I buy new games regularly. I'm fortunate to be able to budget for maybe 2 or 3 new titles a month, if I'm so inclined. However, I also pick up used games to build my library. There's maybe people who are lucky to even be able to afford one new game a month or every other month. If not for a combination of both new and used titles, my library would be sparse. But beyond that, used games are largely what inform my purchasing decisions when it comes to new titles in franchises.

If you take away the used game market, then you divide the gaming community, eventually affecting both hardware and software sales in the future.

Posted Image

#5 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:31 PM

Money is the bottom line here and I'm always ready to call them out and take on the shills, it's no different to micro transactions and the precedent it sets for the future.

#6 JO_75

JO_75

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,436 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:35 PM

I understand the part of taking away the used game market, but this doesn't explain HOW they would do that. How would they eliminate the Used Game Market? What are they doing or going to do that will make used games irrelevant? Can someone explain that so I understand this better.

#7 theFRANCHISE

theFRANCHISE

Hall of Famer

• Reserve Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,117 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:41 AM

I understand the part of taking away the used game market, but this doesn't explain HOW they would do that. How would they eliminate the Used Game Market? What are they doing or going to do that will make used games irrelevant? Can someone explain that so I understand this better.

It's rumored that Microsoft is investing in technology for their next console that would make it so you can't play used copies. One copy registered per machine, which means no trading or borrowing games with friends. It's similar to the concept of DRM for PC games and software.

The idea is, if used copies won't work with the latest and greatest console, then there'd be no market for used games over time because copies would be useless and have no value.

Other than financial reasons, I sincerely hope nothing comes of this. I share games with my nephew all the time; why should I have to buy my nephew a new game, when he can wait to play my copy when I'm done? Why shouldn't I be able to rent a game and try it out if there's no demo available for download? Why shouldn't my friends and I be able to trade games to see if we'd like to purchase our own copies?

Gaming executives are too worried about the bottom line and many have brainwashed some of their developers into thinking that used games take so much more money out of their pockets. The reality is, the money from game sales that would ideally go back towards developers is actually miniscule compared to what those executives would get.

Posted Image

#8 Clutch Ravens

Clutch Ravens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:08 AM

It's rumored that Microsoft is investing in technology for their next console that would make it so you can't play used copies. One copy registered per machine, which means no trading or borrowing games with friends. It's similar to the concept of DRM for PC games and software.

The idea is, if used copies won't work with the latest and greatest console, then there'd be no market for used games over time because copies would be useless and have no value.

Other than financial reasons, I sincerely hope nothing comes of this. I share games with my nephew all the time; why should I have to buy my nephew a new game, when he can wait to play my copy when I'm done? Why shouldn't I be able to rent a game and try it out if there's no demo available for download? Why shouldn't my friends and I be able to trade games to see if we'd like to purchase our own copies?

Gaming executives are too worried about the bottom line and many have brainwashed some of their developers into thinking that used games take so much more money out of their pockets. The reality is, the money from game sales that would ideally go back towards developers is actually miniscule compared to what those executives would get.

See, that's ridiculous.

Let's say I buy a few games, register it to my new gen Xbox (Lol, I'm not getting one because they're cheap bundles of crap) and it breaks as they're prone to doing. Let's say this is after a year (out of warranty), what happens? Are they going to tell me I have to buy a new console AND every game I own again if I ever want to play it?

No dice, gaming [slur deleted]s, no dice.
2013 BR.com Mock Draft: Arizona Cardinals
#7 Overall - Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon
#38 Overall - Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State
#94 Overall - Corey Lemonier, OLB, Auburn
#113 Overall - E.J. Manuel, QB, FSU
#144 Overall - Joseph Randle, RB, OSU
#178 Overall - Jordan Mills, OT/G, Louisiana Tech
#218 Overall - Greg Reid, CB, FSU
#224 Overall - Knile Davis, RB, Arkansas

#9 CorvusCorax

CorvusCorax

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

Wow this is the most ridiculous idea that I have ever heard of. If this is true I am going to seriously discriminate what games I purchase. As it stands I play on Playstation. I can easily see this as something Sony would pull.

I mean they are going to pull this nonsense during a bad economy? lol The nerve of rich, greedy execs...

Posted Image

#10 theFRANCHISE

theFRANCHISE

Hall of Famer

• Reserve Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,117 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:37 AM

In all honesty, as far-fetched and ridiculous as this concept sounds, it's nothing new to gaming; PC games have had this for years in the form of DRM. The difference is that it's easier to pirate playable copies of PC games than console games.

Posted Image

#11 CorvusCorax

CorvusCorax

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:25 AM

If this were to happen, it would make Netflix's business mistakes seem like a fart in a tornado.

Edited by CorvusCorax, 29 January 2012 - 07:25 AM.

Posted Image

#12 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:33 AM

I guess one of the most glaring issues would be the fact that Microsofts history in the console gaming market has been atrocious. I've already lost two 360's to the dreaded RROD. Imagine having to replace your gaming library every time the console craps out. Then theres the fact they charge a monthly subscription to play online when the PS3 is free.

#13 theblackdog

theblackdog

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

One of the reasons I recently got an XBox 360 over a PS3 was because Sony already plans to make their online gaming codes for their games a one-time use only code, and since I buy a lot of my games used, I'm not willing to plunk down another $10-15 to Sony just to be allowed to access the needed online features.

I'm hoping Microsoft isn't going to make it tighter like this. My guess is they want to do what Valve does with Steam, but at least with Steam it's tied to your account, not directly to your computer.
Posted Image
Thanks to Kia Kaha for the sig!

#14 Purple Punishment

Purple Punishment

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:08 PM

Following initial reports from tech blogs Fudzilla and SemiAccurate, our sources have confirmed that mass production of the system's GPU will indeed begin by the end of 2012 but will not, however, be based on AMD's 7000 series Southern Islands GPU. Instead, the processor will be derived from the 6000 series, which was introduced last year. More specifically, it will be akin to the Radeon HD 6670, which offers support for DirectX11, multidisplay output, 3D and 1080p HD output. The chip currently has a market price of upwards of $79.99.

In real terms, the Xbox 720's raw graphics processing power is expected to be six times that of the Xbox 360 and will yield 20-percent greater performance than Nintendo's forthcoming console, the Wii U

Needs a better chip....6670 is FAIL!

Edited by Purple Punishment, 30 January 2012 - 01:13 PM.

"Im Pissed Off For Greatness" -Ray Lewis

PSN: RobtasticVoyage

#15 theFRANCHISE

theFRANCHISE

Hall of Famer

• Reserve Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,117 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:12 PM

One of the reasons I recently got an XBox 360 over a PS3 was because Sony already plans to make their online gaming codes for their games a one-time use only code, and since I buy a lot of my games used, I'm not willing to plunk down another $10-15 to Sony just to be allowed to access the needed online features.

I'm hoping Microsoft isn't going to make it tighter like this. My guess is they want to do what Valve does with Steam, but at least with Steam it's tied to your account, not directly to your computer.

Multiplatform games have utilized online passes regularly as of late; it's a publisher's decision, not the manufacturers like Microsoft and Sony. Sony was just being forthright in saying that they'd likely move forward with online passes for all of their first-party, in-house games since this is a trend that the entire industry is shifting towards. This does not affect all third-party games, as it's not a mandatory requirement by Microsoft or Sony.

To be honest, online features aren't a necessity with every game I buy. As long as the online pass doesn't lock out core features of the single-player or offline experience (and thus far, the used games I've bought haven't had this problem), then I don't mind it. I'd rather do without it, but it's far better than having a copy of a game tied to a specific console.

Posted Image

#16 darklight1216

darklight1216

Sith Lord

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,029 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:39 PM

This sounds like a hack magnet.

It's rumored that Microsoft is investing in technology for their next console that would make it so you can't play used copies. One copy registered per machine, which means no trading or borrowing games with friends. It's similar to the concept of DRM for PC games and software.The idea is, if used copies won't work with the latest and greatest console, then there'd be no market for used games over time because copies would be useless and have no value.

So when a newer version of the console comes out, you'd better not get it or be prepared to have to buy all of your games again.

I understand why they want to do this; they're losing money on used games, but that's just tough luck. Authors and actors have to deal with this too.

For me the bottom line is my bottom line. If Microsoft does this, I'll feel even better about having always chosen Sony.

EdReedTrain.png

#17 cursona pirate

cursona pirate

Pickle Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,128 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

How will i get video games now. I only get used games. I still play Madden 09. I got it for like 4 bucks 2 years ago.

12540_520124434672144_755007992_n.jpg

Go San Jose Sharks and Baltimore Orioles as well!!!

#18 YYZ66

YYZ66

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:50 AM

It's a double edged sword, IMO. Most developers survive game to game from their sales. If a game they release completely tanks, they're probably gonna go out of business. So, I do understand the decision (sure as hell don't like it, though). Of course, the larger developers such as EA and Microsoft don't survive game to game.

Something I've noticed lately is that games will come with a code to get exclusive content. If you get the game used, the code doesn't work a second time, so you lose that content. Happened to me with Mass Effect 2. Didn't know about the Ceberus Network until I got the game used, of course the code didn't work. I believe that's something most of us can live with. You might miss out on "extra" content, but you'll still be able to play the core game. And, the exclusive content will be a good reason to buy new, not used. Seems to me that works for "both sides".

Edited by YYZ66, 01 February 2012 - 11:52 AM.

"Do you hear the sustain?"

"No, I don't hear anything."

"You would if it were playing."

#19 darklight1216

darklight1216

Sith Lord

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,029 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:26 PM

I guess you're out of luck if you don't get a game within a few years of it coming out. I didn't get a chance to play Ico until it was very, very old and I couldn't find anything but used copies.

EdReedTrain.png

#20 YYZ66

YYZ66

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

At least there's one developer on our side:

http://www.gamespot....d-thing-6349908

"Do you hear the sustain?"

"No, I don't hear anything."