301 replies to this topic

#1 Yatagarasu

Yatagarasu

The Crow-God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:19 PM

It's Playoff week! Where teams will find out if their skills and also their players were good enough to make it to the next round. It also is one of the most stressful weeks in fantasy since every move you make counts.

I'll start out with my blunder and frustration this week.

My misfortunes and errors this week:
1. Facing the highest scoring team doesn't help my chance a lot
2. I should've add $1 on my waiver for Jabar Gaffney, I had a good chance of getting him since he was picked up for $1 to a team that already used its waiver.
3. Starting Brad Smith (He got me Nothing!) His spot was for Jabar Gaffney. Only if I was aggressive to get him!
4. Listening to the expects who said C.J. Spiller was going to have a big day.
5. MJD... enough said! (I hate seeing 40 points on the other team)
6. Stupid Rex Grossman! (Should've just stayed with Joe Flacco or even Tim Tebow)
7. Darren McFadden! What a bust.... all that hype couldn't even suit up for playoffs!
8. Calvin Johnson... What the freak? Should've traded him for studs that actually perform!
9. Well, seasons over and 14 weeks of guessing and managing went down the drain!

#2 Yatagarasu

Yatagarasu

The Crow-God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:11 PM

Also...

I took freaking a day deciding who should be my flex.

Guess who I picked out of these three for week 14...

Laurent Robinson
DeMarco Murray
Brandon Marshall

And I lose by 2 points.

#3 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,334 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:36 AM

Ah yes its about that time again. I had three playoff games yesterday. Right now I lost one for sure, one is going to go down to the final minutes of tonight's game and one I won.

Nice array.

Yesterday drove me crazy in my money league where I lost. I had 8 out of my 10 players playing in the first games. My opponent 9. 1st quarter I go up 40 points (60 points total). Roddy White, Stafford, Maurice Morris, Graham, Maclin, Benson. But then they just died and only scored 12 points in the final 3 quarters and I ended getting blown out.

So deflating, looked like I was going to coast going up 40 only to see my team just go flat. Like a heart that stops beating when the person dies.
Posted Image

#4 lowrider

lowrider

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:59 AM

My brother has the most points in his league and didn't even have a record above .500. Thats rough

Last year I lost because the tampa bay defense had -7 points. If they would have had -4 I would have been ok

This year I was feeling good until Kenny Britt got hurt. Then Calvin stopped showing up. Mendenhall has been garbage all year. Greg Jennings has disappointed since I traded for him. But the good news was that was my one team I was particularly confident about, and I only lost by 6 in the playoffs. But other 2 teams are looking strong.

#5 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,334 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:00 PM

My brother has the most points in his league and didn't even have a record above .500. Thats rough

Last year I lost because the tampa bay defense had -7 points. If they would have had -4 I would have been ok

This year I was feeling good until Kenny Britt got hurt. Then Calvin stopped showing up. Mendenhall has been garbage all year. Greg Jennings has disappointed since I traded for him. But the good news was that was my one team I was particularly confident about, and I only lost by 6 in the playoffs. But other 2 teams are looking strong.

Yea. Calvin killed a lot of people this week. Teams have found out that they can line up two guys against him the whole game and still win.

He hurt me greatly in one league. If he had a solid day I could've said I won 2 playoff games this week.
Posted Image

#6 D-Rey

D-Rey

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:33 PM

The only negative I have for myself is that I didn't start WR A. Brown, but still won the game by 20 points. I score the most points in the league but was 4th seed wild card because some players (Brees and DMC didnt perform some weeks) Still happy since this is my first time doing fantasy football and they have been doing this for awhile. Oh and I'm mad Ballard performed well this week. If we would of done that last week, I would of been 2nd seed.

Just happy all my players were double digits this week besides McGahee.

Love it....when a crazy starts talking jibberish, we're like vultures

#7 lowrider

lowrider

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:33 PM

Yea. Calvin killed a lot of people this week. Teams have found out that they can line up two guys against him the whole game and still win.

He hurt me greatly in one league. If he had a solid day I could've said I won 2 playoff games this week.

It's so frustrating. Because what are we supposed to do? Sit Calvin Johnson? I mean I guess I should have started Antonio Brown for him but rule number one in fantasy is start your studs. So frustrating. But back to the drawing board, and I'm definitely going to readjust my strategy

#8 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,687 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:57 PM

I'm still sticking to the fact that I would have been a lock for the playoffs if I wasn't disconnected during the draft twice. I got a player I would never have considered taking (Hakeem Nicks, who's been outperformed by nobody Victor Cruz), and he's screwed me over more than he's helped, and was essentially forced into drafting a player I never would have drafted because I needed someone to start at RB (DeAngelo Williams). I turned an 0-3 start into 7-7, but it wasn't enough to save the playoff run.

#9 theblackdog

theblackdog

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:05 PM

I just got knocked out of being in the playoffs this week through a combination of injuries, a screw up in settings by our commissioner, and an unexpected bad choice.

DeMarco Murray breaking his ankle was the key injury. The gap between me and my opponent was 5 points and him going out was not good. However, said opponent had Dez Bryant, and Bryant wasn't doing anything...until that 50 yard touchdown. Boom, opponent beats me by 6 points.

If I could see into the future, I would have known to start Jabar Gaffney in place of Mike Wallace this week. That was the unexpected bad decision.

Now for the settings screw up. We were set up as divisional leagues. Our commissioner THOUGHT he set it up that the top two from each division would go to the playoffs. He discovered last night that he was utterly wrong. It's the top four overall in the standings. So my loss dropped me to 5th seed and into the consolation bracket. It does technically leave us with an unbalanced playoffs (3 from one division, 1 from another division) but there isn't anything that can be done. Very tempted to make said commissioner buy me an apology beer for that major screw up.

The only consolation I can take from this is that despite being stuck dead last to pick in most rounds of the draft (snaking helped me a little bit here), and being plagued early by injuries, I was able to leverage waivers to claw my way back up from 9th to 4th before yesterday.

Edited by theblackdog, 12 December 2011 - 04:08 PM.

Posted Image
Thanks to Kia Kaha for the sig!

#10 Fricknmaniac

Fricknmaniac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:58 PM

Oh I've got a whole season of frustration to lay out here (I'm in a bunch of leagues, so it's a bunch of stuff.)

ESPN Standard league. Week 9, I have the choice to start Joseph Addai. Jevon Ringer, or Delone Carter. I end up starting Delone Carter... who gets -2 points. The match-up ends in a tie 90-90. Not that Addai or Ringer lit it up, they scored 0 and 1 points respectively, but the fact that I didn't win a match-up because I started someone who got negative points killed me.

Also, this is just funny from that same league, my first round pick: Jamaal Charles. My 3rd round pick: Peyton Manning (the draft was really early, everyone thought he was a steal in the 3rd round.) 7th round pick: Kenny Britt. Still I made the playoffs in that league through some nice trades and solid free agency pickups, so it's easier to laugh about that now.

NFL.com standard league. I finish the season 2nd in points scored, 5th in points allowed, but had a record of 7-7 and missed the playoffs. I had 5 losses that were less than 6 points. The worst loss was week 9 (again) where the 4th and 10 pass of 9 yards to Jeremy Maclin at the end of the game lost me the match-up.

NFL.com league. Week 4, LeGarrette Blount wins me the matchup on Monday Night, but he gets 2 rushing yards too many as he puts me ahead of someone else in the standings by 0.1 points and he gets Eli Manning off of waivers because of that 0.1 point.

Oh the number of weeks where I scored the 2nd most points in the league... only to have faced the person who scored the most points.

Edit: I forgot about this little bit of Karma. Someone didn't show up for the auction draft in a Yahoo league I was doing and his first three players ended up all with the same bye week so I joked with everyone else there that we should focus on having all his players having the same bye week. This was the result:

http://i41.tinypic.com/263y4vq.png

Unfortunately for me, he ended up getting the last laugh of sorts. I missed the playoffs in that league and through 12 weeks he had only two wins... both were against me.

Edited by Fricknmaniac, 16 December 2011 - 09:07 PM.

#11 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,334 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:20 PM

Where the hell was this Calvin Johnson LAST week when my team got eliminated?

And why are all the players on my eliminated teams having a field day?
Posted Image

#12 Fricknmaniac

Fricknmaniac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:16 AM

Terrible week for me in fantasy. My playoff teams went 1-5. :(

#13 Adam Jones

Adam Jones

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:59 PM

Cedric Benson all year pretty much has been a big disappointment.
I dropped Michael Bush the week before DMC started going down.
Brandon Llyod hasn't done much all year.
I might have to reach for a TE next year because I am tired of having no production there all year.

#14 ravens615

ravens615

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:16 PM

So how about this. Both of my teams made it into the semi-finals (Yahoo! 12 team leagues, Head to Head, 6 team playoffs).

In the first league, I was the 2 seed and got a 1st round bye. This is my family league. I dominated the league and pulled off monster trades despite vetoes. I ended up landing Aaron Rodgers and Chris Johnson before either of them got hot. I felt pretty good to win it all, which woulda been $330. However. I was playing my brother, who had the hottest team in the league; started out 1-5, finished 7-6 and got the 6th seed. Going into SNF I was down 102-89; I had Rice, Balt D, and Boldin left; he had Gates and SF D tonight.

Watching the first drive seeing Boldin and Rice account for 60 yards I was like, "Alright, I have this one for sure"

Final Stats: Boldin 33 yards, Rice 112 yards, Baltimore Defense no stats, 34 pts allowed (-1 fantasy pts)....Final score 105.62-98.70 (without SF D going yet).

That was the most painful fantasy loss ever. Brings me to0-2 in the semis against my brother, 0-2 in the finals, and all 5 of my playoff trips out of the 7 years I've done it unsuccessful.

SECOND League

Going into SNF down 75-35..I have 5 players left...Antonio Brown, Mike Wallace tonight, and Rice, Flacco, Balt D last night.

He still has Mendenhall, Vernon Davis, and Pitts D

I figured I would need to take at least a 10 point lead to have a shot; not too tall an order, 50 points from Flacco/Rice/Balt D, right? After all, Sanchez threw for 4 tds on that terrible pass defense, so Flacco could surely do the same... and Rice is a beast. Balt D should easily pick off Rivers at least twice.

WRONG. WRONG. WRONG.

75-60 going into MNF - I'm not counting on the Steelers to spare me either, so I'll chalk it up as a loss. Bye bye shot at $180.

All in all, with two leagues I should have dominated, I lost, at the hands of the Ravens.

It hurts twice as bad the way the Ravens played yesterday. If they won I could have at least been happy with that and then losing fantasy sports is whatever.

But now, im out of fantasy playoffs, have to wait until next year. And if Pittsburgh wins tonight, I'm not about to put my trust in the Browns or the Rams, so I'd say we are out of homefield advantage and might get to go to Pittsburgh in the Divisional Round, considering we take care of the Broncos, Chargers, Chiefs, or Raiders. And you know how good we are traveling West, so lets hope its not to the Coast and it is the Chiefs or the Broncos.

Next years draft strategy - Only take Rice, Torrey Smith, and MAYBE Baltimore's D. Avoid everyone else.

Cheers to failure!

#15 theblackdog

theblackdog

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:54 AM

Ugh, the abberations of this weekend completely screwed me over. I was hoping I'd be playing to hang on to 5th place overall via the consolation playoffs, instead I will now be fighting to keep 7th place.

I don't freaking get it, I did my research and all of the RBs I left benched (Gerhart, Green-Ellis, and Pierre Thomas) should NOT have played, or if they did, they wouldn't do much. Yes I knew I was taking a risk on Kevin Smith but the others looked worse. Instead they all pulled double-digits, while my starters (Smith, Daniel Thomas) blew it big time.

The Ravens D not showing up, argh, plus my WR's didn't do as well as usual. At least Cam Newton continued to score high, but Flacco wasn't too far behind him.

This is the second year I've played fantasy where I started out poorly, pulled it together and was flying high by the middle of the season, only to have it fall apart because of a weird weekend like what happened with good players not performing, and the underdogs suddenly pulling their act together. Add in this year where I got screwed on playoffs because the commissioner screwed up the settings, and I don't want to deal with it again next year. I think I'm going to stick with just picking game-winners than fantasy players, all it does is tend to piss me off.
Posted Image
Thanks to Kia Kaha for the sig!

#16 CorvusCorax

CorvusCorax

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:11 AM

Went in as a newbie as League leader with a 12-2 record. Lost in the 1st round. :(

I knew this was going to happen. The Washington Redskins made me lose! Eli Manning what the [Miller Lite]? 7 points? Really?

Posted Image

#17 ravens__

ravens__

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:19 PM

Yep... It's that kind of week for my team in ATD's league semifinals and it stinks, man...
Then again, xmas time got the best of me and I was too much into the Ravens game to remember to make a last minute check on my fantasy team.. Result? Started Helu (inactive) and Miller (non-factor) ahead of Kevin Smith and Jared Cook.

Posted Image

Go me?

(Hope I am allowed to post a picture.. If not, feel free to remove it mods)

Edited by ravens__, 24 December 2011 - 09:21 PM.

2010 BR.com "You Pick 'em" Champion

10fqgjp.jpg

#18 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,151 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

I was undefeated heading into playoffs last year in a 16 team league and then Greg Jennings and Matt Forte both got injured and I finished 4th.

Mt. Crushmore always makes about a million posts in a minute.

I'd like to introduce myself. Mt. Crushmore, Correction Officer.

Twitter

#19 BMOREHAWAII

BMOREHAWAII

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

I was in the semi-final round. It was me Vs. the eventual champ. I couldn't decide for my life, to start Tebow or Rivers (NO i did not draft Tebow, he was the only QB on the waivers doing much). So my wife decides to "help" and say "Go with your original QB". Im like OK. Lost that matchup by 2 points, Rivers had something like 19 points that day, Tebow had 22..... I won $400 and i came in 3rd but still......
"If the football gods were to create the perfect defensive player, he would be a MERE IMAGE of the immortal Ray Lewis.."

#20 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,966 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

I lost the championship by 11. SeaBass scored 21 points.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users