Ravens Schedule Coming Wednesday!

The Ravens will announce their 2014 regular season schedule on Wednesday, April 23rd at 8:00 pm ET.
Close

Photo

Skyrim

Elder Scrolls

• Please log in to reply
398 replies to this topic

#1 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,084 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:20 AM

Has anyone else gotten this game yet? Reading reviews and talking to people, it seems most people love it and that it's an epic time-sink. I played Oblivion and Fallout 3 so I'm familiar with Bethesda's work and I've been keeping up with the production online. Haven't gotten it yet because I want to focus on school, but I'll definitely get it over winter break.

So, anyways, has anyone picked it up and what do you think?
Posted Image

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#2 EnVy_CaLiBeR

EnVy_CaLiBeR

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:06 PM

I have it. It's the only game I've been playing since I got it on release date and I still have quite a few games to go through but this game has taking over all of my play time.

Game is absolutely beautiful. When I first got it, I spent nearly half an hour just admiring how gorgeous the world really is. There's so much to do that the average gamer might feel overwhelmed but the game never feels as though you're overburdened with quests because you can go at your own pace. On top of that, the game makes you want to go through each and every quest just to see how deep the story takes your character. It truly is one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

In other words, buy it. lol

Edited by EnVy_CaLiBeR, 15 November 2011 - 12:07 PM.

"All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream.."-- EAP

Posted Image

#3 theFRANCHISE

theFRANCHISE

Hall of Famer

• Reserve Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,115 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:24 PM

This was a game that I didn't really get excited about because I remember how disappointing Fallout: New Vegas was. I had read things online but didn't buy into the hype because I knew the massive cult-like following that Bethesda's games have.

This is no hype: Skyrim exceeded all expectations after I picked it up as an impulse purchase.

I bought the game with the thought that I'd play it in-between other games I'm playing. Nope. This is all I've played for the past couple of days and I keep finding something new every time.

My only suggestion is that you don't go into the game playing as an avatar of yourself, as we're often apt to do in character creation. Rather, play with the mindset that this is a character in his own universe, similar to how we play as Batman or the X-Men in their respective games. Once you've done that, you'll allow yourself to do things that fit the character, which is basically a dragon-blooded version of Blade from the Wesley Snipes films and Marvel comic books.

Posted Image

#4 darklight1216

darklight1216

Sith Lord

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:46 PM

This was a game that I didn't really get excited about because I remember how disappointing Fallout: New Vegas was. I had read things online but didn't buy into the hype because I knew the massive cult-like following that Bethesda's games have.

This is no hype: Skyrim exceeded all expectations after I picked it up as an impulse purchase.

I bought the game with the thought that I'd play it in-between other games I'm playing. Nope. This is all I've played for the past couple of days and I keep finding something new every time.

My only suggestion is that you don't go into the game playing as an avatar of yourself, as we're often apt to do in character creation. Rather, play with the mindset that this is a character in his own universe, similar to how we play as Batman or the X-Men in their respective games. Once you've done that, you'll allow yourself to do things that fit the character, which is basically a dragon-blooded version of Blade from the Wesley Snipes films and Marvel comic books.

That's a pretty expensive impulse buy...

I've never really had the urge to see my (real) self get stabbed and blown up on my television screen, so it will be fairly easy to take your advice. ;)

I'm still waiting for my library to get it, but it looks interesting. I'm not sure what race I should play (but I think I've narrowed it down to the Redguard or Dark Elves). Anyone have a favorite so far?

EdReedTrain.png

#5 EnVy_CaLiBeR

EnVy_CaLiBeR

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:02 PM

I started out as a Dark Elf. Pretty good class to start with if you plan on using magic throughout. Don't worry though, using magic and conjuration makes you feel like an absolute badass. It never gets old especially with the new spells you learn on the way.

Posted Image

#6 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,084 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:07 PM

Thanks for the feedback, definitely looking forward to this. Run into any giants yet?

Posted Image

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#7 theFRANCHISE

theFRANCHISE

Hall of Famer

• Reserve Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,115 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:31 PM

Thanks for the feedback, definitely looking forward to this. Run into any giants yet?

I ran into a group that killed a giant in the background, but I haven't encountered any giants myself. That bug involving the giants is actually one I want them to keep!

I've already fought one troll. Be forewarned, I think the trolls have regenerating health. The frost troll I fought during one quest certainly had it. I realized it too late after I was already a few minutes into the fight. My character isn't leveled pretty high so I spent much of my time running, but when I went too long healing instead of attacking, I noticed the troll's health started to rise back up.

Posted Image

#8 Purple Nurple

Purple Nurple

Telling It Like It Is Since 1974

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,598 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:36 PM

Lol. What just happened?

newsigg2_zps9e6531bd.jpg

#9 darklight1216

darklight1216

Sith Lord

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:11 AM

I started out as a Dark Elf. Pretty good class to start with if you plan on using magic throughout. Don't worry though, using magic and conjuration makes you feel like an absolute badass. It never gets old especially with the new spells you learn on the way.

What can you conjure?

EdReedTrain.png

#10 TreTheRaven

TreTheRaven

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:00 AM

I bought it the day of releasing. Quite the game, to say the least. I have only done like 2 quests and spent the rest of the time exploring the world and leveling up.

I think I may need to buy the guide to beat the quests, just so I have an idea where I am exactly headed.

I have ran into those giants quite a few times and always die from 1 hit. :( I fought one dragon and beat him / her though. :) There is vampires in this game too.

#11 EnVy_CaLiBeR

EnVy_CaLiBeR

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:02 AM

What can you conjure?

As far as the spells I have, you can revive the dead enemies you kill for 60 seconds and they fight for you. Depending on how powerful they are determines which conjuration you need. You can conjure Flame Atronachs which basically fight for you and throw fireballs at your targets.

You can also conjure Axes and Swords.

Posted Image

#12 ravensalways

ravensalways

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:38 AM

i remember when i first ran into a giant, probably the funniest thing I've seen happen in a game for a long time. Just ran up and hit it, and the next thing i know my guy is 500 ft in the air..i had to ask my self if that just happened Posted Image

#13 YYZ66

YYZ66

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:52 AM

Has anyone else gotten this game yet? Reading reviews and talking to people, it seems most people love it and that it's an epic time-sink. I played Oblivion and Fallout 3 so I'm familiar with Bethesda's work and I've been keeping up with the production online. Haven't gotten it yet because I want to focus on school, but I'll definitely get it over winter break.

So, anyways, has anyone picked it up and what do you think?

I was wondering the same thing. Would have gotten an answer if someone would check their messages. (I'm looking at you Demon!) :D

"Do you hear the sustain?"

"No, I don't hear anything."

"You would if it were playing."

#14 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,084 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:30 PM

I was wondering the same thing. Would have gotten an answer if someone would check their messages. (I'm looking at you Demon!) Posted Image

Haven't seen ATD 'round these parts much. Not like he's missing anything, though, same bellyaching after losses. You could always count on him for some solid movie / video game commentary, outside of football.
Posted Image

#15 MagicianCamille

MagicianCamille

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:12 AM

Skyrim has to be Game of the Year. I can't put it away.
I know what you're thinking — "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But, being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?
- Dirty Harry Callahan, Inspector 71

#16 theFRANCHISE

theFRANCHISE

Hall of Famer

• Reserve Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,115 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:35 PM

Skyrim has to be Game of the Year. I can't put it away.

Every morning before work, I've woken up and intended to play about 30 minutes, and ended up killing a whole hour each time without realizing it.

Good thing I get up early enough to have enough cushion to get to work. If not for working evenings, though, I'd never make it to work on time, largely because of this game. Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 XxSizzleXx

XxSizzleXx

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:43 PM

Is your guys PSN down or is it just mine

#18 theFRANCHISE

theFRANCHISE

Hall of Famer

• Reserve Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,115 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:13 PM

Is your guys PSN down or is it just mine

It's 14-hour routine maintenance that was announced two days ago. It'll be restored around 1AM EST tonight. Online will work intermittently throughout this outage.

Posted Image

#19 kingcars

kingcars

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:13 PM

Amazing game...I have way more hours already poured into it than I'd care to admit, and I was even able to get the gf hooked on it as well. Not only is there just so much content, but it's GREAT content as well. Definitely worth the price tag.

Edited by kingcars, 21 November 2011 - 05:13 PM.

#20 TreTheRaven

TreTheRaven

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:39 PM

I just turned into a werewolf. Loving this game!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users