Ravens at Steelers      Game Rewind      Pro Bowl Voting   

Photo

Joe Flacco, Deep Ball Accuracy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 kassaiscool

kassaiscool

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:36 AM

This is not to bash Joe or anything, but why does he miss so many deep balls when people are open? Early in the game Q had someone beat for a TD and it was overthrown. Torrey regularly gets open deep at least three to four times a game and is overthrown. He has a strong arm and a lot of times he hits people dead in the hands. He has a tight spiral just don't know what happens. Any reasons why??

#2 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,303 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:28 AM

Torrey doesnt come out of his breaks at full speed and he has even said so. Its something they need to work on. He's a rookie and they will get on the same page eventually.
Posted Image

#3 BmoreRavens732

BmoreRavens732

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:34 AM

I agree with Torrey not coming out of his break full speed ( cuz even he said so) but even tho it's annoying I'm not worried about it...it can be worked on with out a problem...if he puts a little more touch on em they will hit perfectly

#4 Purple Punishment

Purple Punishment

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,514 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:34 AM

Torrey doesnt come out of his breaks at full speed and he has even said so. Its something they need to work on. He's a rookie and they will get on the same page eventually.

Torrey mentions one time that he made a mistake and suddenly its on his hands for every missed deep ball? A good QB can envision where the WR is going to be and make a good throw. Actually a half way decent one can do that. I guess Boldin didnt come out fast enough either?
"Im Pissed Off For Greatness" -Ray Lewis

PSN: RobtasticVoyage

#5 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,303 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:36 AM

Torrey mentions one time that he made a mistake and suddenly its on his hands for every missed deep ball? A good QB can envision where the WR is going to be and make a good throw. Actually a half way decent one can do that. I guess Boldin didnt come out fast enough either?

Ugh, no he doesn't say it every time. BUT if you watch you can see it plain as day. Yes, Flacco misses throws too. (I feel like I need a disclaimer on every post now.....good lord!!!)
Posted Image

#6 jdynamite

jdynamite

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,082 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:37 AM

He has always overthrown guys on deep ball but it's really annoying now because Torrey beats a guy deep at least once a game and is over thrown by 2 or 3 yds each time.

If he doesn't over throw it then he throws a floater pass ( like Culpepper used to do lol ). It floats in air like Hollywood movie foreverrrrrr....

#7 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,393 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:38 AM

I'm more concerned about the high number of catchable balls that glance off Smith's hands, he had a couple yesterday, too. Same for Boldin. They've been dropping too many passes. You're not going to get every deep pass, but it's good to take a shot every now and then.
a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#8 Clutch Ravens

Clutch Ravens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:39 AM

Ugh, no he doesn't say it every time. BUT if you watch you can see it plain as day. Yes, Flacco misses throws too. (I feel like I need a disclaimer on every post now.....good lord!!!)

Everyone gets touchy after embarassing losses to CFL teams.

On topic: No quarterback hits every deep ball every time. Not even the almighty, Aaron Rodgers.
2013 BR.com Mock Draft: Arizona Cardinals
#7 Overall - Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon
#38 Overall - Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State
#94 Overall - Corey Lemonier, OLB, Auburn
#113 Overall - E.J. Manuel, QB, FSU
#144 Overall - Joseph Randle, RB, OSU
#178 Overall - Jordan Mills, OT/G, Louisiana Tech
#218 Overall - Greg Reid, CB, FSU
#224 Overall - Knile Davis, RB, Arkansas

#9 FerrariFan87

FerrariFan87

Trust Me, A Jedi I Am

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,323 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:45 AM

Flacco's inaccuracy on deep balls is getting a bit concerning... hopefully he and Evans can rekindle some of that good timing from the preseason if and when he decides to return.

2550rra.jpg

#10 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,586 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:47 AM

Well its better to overthrow the guy than to underthrow him (INT). Its a combination of things. Torrey does a lot of time stagger out of breaks or gets slowed down by the CB. But Joe can still improve upon his timing.
Posted Image

#11 POE

POE

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:49 AM

It is extremely annoying to see this happen but it's not the end of the world. Sometimes it's Joe, and sometimes it's the WR's not doing enough. Either way it will get better because it can't get any worse. Like somebody else said what is going on with all of the drops? I know Flacco can get a little air under the ball at times and the receiver has to stretch to make the catch but I don't think I have seen so many drops by our guys like this season. I can't wait for next Sunday because i have a feeling it's going to get real ugly for the Bengals after this horrible loss.
Posted Image

#12 G!Bmore

G!Bmore

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:51 AM

RUN DA BALL!!!!!!

#13 jimmypowder

jimmypowder

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:54 AM

Running the ball opens up the passing game.

No balance is a killer.

#14 rlh445

rlh445

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:10 AM

The Seahawks aren't a CFL team. Torrey and Joe literally have been working on their game in the only game time they have: 60 minutes every Sunday or Monday. It'd be really great if they'd had an off-season to get in sync, but that didn't happen. It'd be really great if Torrey had Lee game to game to work with on the field, but that didn't happen. It'd be great if the number of balls that Joe did drop right into Torrey's hands would actually be caught by Torrey, but that didn't happen. It'd be great if Joe took some mustard off his throws, but that didn't happen.

This is football, not teacups with the Queen.

#15 jimmypowder

jimmypowder

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:12 AM

It is better to overthrow then underthrow and get the ball intercepted.

Problem is Joe is just overthrowing too much.

#16 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,905 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:17 AM

I agree. For every time he gets "over thrown" he has two drops right into his body... The kid is a work in progress and I HOPE he gets better. The problem is, Flacco doesn't really know where Torrey is going to be or if he'll beat the press. I'm not saying Joe doesn't overshoot Torrey but I'm also not saying its only in result of an a bad pass.

#17 Lawbrum

Lawbrum

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:08 PM

One thing I've noticed and I dont see anyone saying is that our WR are being held just a bit on breaks and running down field. Yesterday for sure, Torrey ran an out and up. On the up part he was grabbed. Clearly on replay and that broke his stride just a bit. But then the ball was overthrown only about half a yard. If the refs dont call the illegal contact and Joe throws to where the guy would be, its not really his fault. If there is no contact and he throws the ball shorter it gets broken up or intercepted. Same on Boldin. He gets held every single play going downfield. He a big strong WR so I think the refs kind of look the other way a bit, but on many of the over throws it does appear the WR were impeded in one fashion or another.

#18 tctony

tctony

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:09 PM

Well its better to overthrow the guy than to underthrow him (INT). Its a combination of things. Torrey does a lot of time stagger out of breaks or gets slowed down by the CB. But Joe can still improve upon his timing.

Ugh he did that yesterday too. Had Smith wide open for a TD, but instead threw too late and underthrew it into double coverage.

GO RAVENS!

Posted Image

#19 PeRK82

PeRK82

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

This is not to bash Joe or anything, but why does he miss so many deep balls when people are open? Early in the game Q had someone beat for a TD and it was overthrown. Torrey regularly gets open deep at least three to four times a game and is overthrown. He has a strong arm and a lot of times he hits people dead in the hands. He has a tight spiral just don't know what happens. Any reasons why??

Im starting to think the same thing , also when he does throw a great pass, his WRers drop the ball. Come On Man.

#20 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,926 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:48 PM

One thing I've noticed and I dont see anyone saying is that our WR are being held just a bit on breaks and running down field. Yesterday for sure, Torrey ran an out and up. On the up part he was grabbed. Clearly on replay and that broke his stride just a bit. But then the ball was overthrown only about half a yard. If the refs dont call the illegal contact and Joe throws to where the guy would be, its not really his fault. If there is no contact and he throws the ball shorter it gets broken up or intercepted. Same on Boldin. He gets held every single play going downfield. He a big strong WR so I think the refs kind of look the other way a bit, but on many of the over throws it does appear the WR were impeded in one fashion or another.

I think you're on to something here. It seems that Torrey gets slowed up in his routes and Joe is throwing the ball to where he expects Torrey to be. I'm thinking Torrey runs his routes faster in practice (where he's not getting grabbed) and that is messing with their timing during games. Keep in mind that the QB has to account for the receiver's route and speed on every throw. With more experience and OTA workouts (so probably next year), Torrey will be better able to power past DBs.
15fqib6.jpg